Sopa de Mariscos

Author
Cole-Lamasney
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2004/08/30 20:45:07 (permalink)

Sopa de Mariscos

We spent 3 years living in South Texas and became total connoiseurs of this Tex-Mex version of seafood chowder. Every restaurant had its own version thereof, varying in thickness (from delicate clear soups more like "caldos" to hearty true "sopas") and heat (from mild to fiery), as well as in myriad combinations of seafood and vegetables. Our two favorites from our years in Brownsville couldn't be more different: a hearty combination of fish and shrimp with potatoes and peppers in a slightly opaque broth, served at El Torito, and a delicate clear broth of shrimp and baby octopus (pulpo) served at El Tropical, the latter sopa slightly spicey. Most Americans have no idea about what Mexicans can do with seafood, and sopa de mariscos is but one example!

Lori Cole-Lamasney
Now living in Utica, NY

4 Replies Related Threads

marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Sopa de Mariscos 2004/08/30 22:19:48 (permalink)
    Lori

I just posted under No Menudo! about my experiences ordering Sopa de Mondongo (cow stomach soup). I had considered going with the Sopa de Mariscos, and will next time. Mondongo is definitely an acquired taste for me!

Where in Brownsville did you go? I've been once to Brownsville and went to a place I read about in Roadfood, (can't remember the name now), and it was good ...
    Cole-Lamasney
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Sopa de Mariscos 2004/08/31 19:08:00 (permalink)
    As I mentioned in my original posting, there were two restaurants that we frequented in Brownsville that had particularly good sopa de mariscos: El Torito (there are two of them: the one we went to was on the frontage road on the southbound side of highway 77 between Boca Chica and Price Road), and El Tropical (on Central, also between Price and Boca Chica but closer to Price). Best fajitas at Bigos (on either side of the Rio Grande). There was also a good fish place just across the bridge (the one near downtown) into Matamoros. It's the first left after you cross the bridge -- can't think of the name, though.

Yes, Brownsville has some great food--one of the few things to recommend it.
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Sopa de Mariscos 2004/08/31 19:40:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cole-Lamasney

As I mentioned in my original posting, there were two restaurants that we frequented in Brownsville that had particularly good sopa de mariscos: El Torito (there are two of them: the one we went to was on the frontage road on the southbound side of highway 77 between Boca Chica and Price Road), and El Tropical (on Central, also between Price and Boca Chica but closer to Price). Best fajitas at Bigos (on either side of the Rio Grande). There was also a good fish place just across the bridge (the one near downtown) into Matamoros. It's the first left after you cross the bridge -- can't think of the name, though.

Yes, Brownsville has some great food--one of the few things to recommend it.

Wish I could remember the name ... those all sound like great places. I think the restaurant I went to was near downtown.

Going to Matamoros from Brownville is fun. Didn't eat in Matamoros, but on a trip the next day we went into Mexico via the Los Ebanos crossing, across the hand drawn ferry on the Rio Grande, and then took a cab down a dusty road to Gustavo Diaz Ordaz. A dusty town, just off the beaten path, we had some great Mexican tacos there.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    RE: Sopa de Mariscos 2004/08/31 20:44:25 (permalink)
    El Torito is a chain out of California, as I recall. We had a couple of them here in the Columbus area back in the '80s, but they didn't last very long.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1