Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Soul Food Sides

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 57
jessicazee

• Total Posts: 132
Soul Food Sides Thu, 03/27/03 2:25 PM (permalink)
I'm trying to think of all the great side dishes available at soul food restaurants - I've been to handful in Milwaukee - are they similar across the country? - for instance:
-collard or mustard greens in pot likker
-baked mac&cheese with buttered bread crumbs on top
-red beans & rice
-sweet potatoes/yams
-hushpuppies

What else? What's your favorite?

stanpnepa

• Total Posts: 575
    RE: Soul Food Sides Thu, 03/27/03 2:35 PM (permalink)
    fried okra
    hot apples!!
    turnip greens
    ...and my favorite---though I don't know if it's a side...cornbread!!!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
      • Roadfood Insider
      RE: Soul Food Sides Thu, 03/27/03 3:45 PM (permalink)
      Yeah, good topic...
      Fried apples are one of my favorites, seldom seen in the West. Not just Apple pie filling, good apples have the touch that comes from heating them in a frying pan that has been used for bacon or other pork product, with a wiff of lemon & cinnamon in the filling.
      Don't forget the old standby...Green Beans cooked with smoked ham chunks (or hocks) for flavor.
      The Mac and Cheese can have a number of things on top...as long as they add "crunchiness" Smushed potato chips are one of my choices for the brown crust on top.
      Boiled Cabbage goes on the list As does Creamed Corn, Hush Puppies, Red Potato's, Mashed Potato's and Red Eye Gravy (must be made with leftover coffee), AND What about GRITS---Cheese Grits for me please.

lvw

• Total Posts: 90
        RE: Soul Food Sides Thu, 03/27/03 4:40 PM (permalink)
        How about corn pudding and succotash?

Michael Stern

RE: Soul Food Sides Thu, 03/27/03 4:42 PM (permalink)
          Does cracklin' corn bread count? If not, I vote for stewed tomatoes ... or smothered cabbage ... or butter beans ... or broccoli casserole with lots of cheese in it.

Sundancer7

RE: Soul Food Sides Thu, 03/27/03 5:30 PM (permalink)
            Its all in the seasoning!!
            1: Collard greens with ham hocks, garlic, huge onion. seasoning salt
            2: Tennessee fried cornbread that contains hot peppers, corn, bell peppers, hot peppers, sal and pepper cooked in a pan of oil in the oven at 450
            3: Yams with brown sugar, orange marmalade, cinnamon

scbuzz

• Total Posts: 844
              RE: Soul Food Sides Fri, 03/28/03 9:08 AM (permalink)
              Fried okra (not the heavily breaded type)
              Turnips (the root)
              Rutabaga's (?sp)
              black eyed peas
              field peas (I make a concoction of field peas with fresh tomatoes, fresh vidalia onions, hot peppers, vinegar, salt and pepper)

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
                RE: Soul Food Sides Fri, 03/28/03 1:31 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Sundancer7

Its all in the seasoning!!
                1: Collard greens with ham hocks, garlic, huge onion. seasoning salt
                2: Tennessee fried cornbread that contains hot peppers, corn, bell peppers, hot peppers, sal and pepper cooked in a pan of oil in the oven at 450
                3: Yams with brown sugar, orange marmalade, cinnamon

Do you have a recipe for the Tennessee Fried Cornbread? It sounds really good.

Sundancer7

RE: Soul Food Sides Fri, 03/28/03 3:40 PM (permalink)
                  Tennessee Fried Cornbread

1: Preheat cast iron skillet 450 with all of skillet oiled and about 1/8 inch of oil in the pan. You want it hot when you put the cornmeal in.
                  2: Ingredients (a) 2 cups cornmeal, (b) 1/3 cup of oil (c) 1 egg (d) 1 cup of milk (e) 1 onion chopped up pretty good (f) 1 can mexican corn (g) 1 jalapeno chopped up. I leave out the seeds. (h) 1 tablespoon of sugar (i) 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (j) 1/2 teason of pepper.

Mix this stuff up real good and put in hot skillet and watch it fry. It generally takes me about 40 minutes. I like it brown and crispy.

yumbo

• Total Posts: 330
                    RE: Soul Food Sides Fri, 03/28/03 5:52 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

1: Preheat cast iron skillet 450 with all of skillet oiled and about 1/8 inch of oil in the pan. You want it hot when you put the cornmeal in.
                    2: Ingredients (a) 2 cups cornmeal, (b) 1/3 cup of oil (c) 1 egg (d) 1 cup of milk (e) 1 onion chopped up pretty good (f) 1 can mexican corn (g) 1 jalapeno chopped up. I leave out the seeds. (h) 1 tablespoon of sugar (i) 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt (j) 1/2 teason of pepper.

Mix this stuff up real good and put in hot skillet and watch it fry. It generally takes me about 40 minutes. I like it brown and crispy.

Thank you!

-Yumbo (who now has 20 posts just like you!)

Michael Stern

RE: Soul Food Sides Fri, 03/28/03 6:56 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by yumbo
                      -Yumbo (who now has 20 posts just like you!)

... and will soon graduate from Junior Hamburgerhood ...

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        RE: Soul Food Sides Fri, 03/28/03 7:08 PM (permalink)
                        It's a lonely job, being the only Hamburger that has apparently reached retirement age....in a generation of Juniors.
                        But Somebody's got to do it.
                        I look forward to company at the top

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                          RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 03/29/03 11:02 AM (permalink)
                          quote:

Two things I do differently for any cornbread: using bacon drippings instead of oil, then stirring the hot drippings into the batter and putting the skillet back into the oven immediately.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                            RE: Soul Food Sides Wed, 04/9/03 11:26 PM (permalink)
                            Dearfolk,
                            Y'all making me h-u-n-g-r-y!!!
                            Salivatingly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

GaGal

• Total Posts: 24
                              RE: Soul Food Sides Sun, 04/20/03 4:56 PM (permalink)
                              Gotta have some fried green tomatoes on that list.
                              Also some bread and butter pickles, watermelon rind pickles and some spring onions!Maybe some pepper jelly or chow chow....

Lovie

• Total Posts: 31
                                RE: Soul Food Sides Wed, 04/23/03 7:45 PM (permalink)
                                I've never really cottoned on to corn bread until I had the kind that they serv at Hog Heaven In Nashville. It is like corn bread pancake. Any body got a recipe for something like that?
                                At the Belle Meade Diner in Nashville I had a side dish that was like pickled beets only they were sweet rather than pickled and they had a hint of cinamin. Does any one know the name of that dish and is that a soul food side? As for the dishes already mentioned I like collard greeens or any kinda green with garlic and nutmeg.

Rick F.

RE: Soul Food Sides Wed, 04/23/03 8:02 PM (permalink)
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by Lovie

I've never really cottoned on to corn bread until I had the kind that they serv at Hog Heaven In Nashville. It is like corn bread pancake. Any body got a recipe for something like that?
                                  At the Belle Meade Diner in Nashville I had a side dish that was like picled beets only they were swet rather than pickled and they had a hint of cinimin. Does any one know the name of that dish and is that a soul food side? As for the dishes already mentioned I like collard greeens or any kinda green with garlic and nutmeg.

Sounds like what my great-grandmother called "corn pone." Put maybe 2 Tbsp of bacon drippings in a cast iron skillet and get it hot. While it's heating bring water to a boil and mix it, still boiling, into white corn meal (I add salt) until you have a pourable but fairly thick batter. When the pan is ready pour it in by the quarter-cup or whatever amount you want. It should spread out until it's about 1/2 inch thick. When it's dark and crusty on one side, flip it and cook the other side the same.

Rick

Rick F.

RE: Soul Food Sides Wed, 04/23/03 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                    Gotta have lime pickles: sweet, crunchy cucumber chips made with powdered lime, not the citrus fruit.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
                                      RE: Soul Food Sides Wed, 04/23/03 8:08 PM (permalink)
                                      Lovie, I think you're talking about pickled apples. Did they have a hole in the middle? I loved those as a kid; I don't know what they used as a food coloring, but they were literally "beet red".

I distinctly remember going through a buffet line when I was a small child and ordering a side of those because I loved them. When I got to the table and took a big bite, I found that they WERE NOT pickled apples; they were BEETS, something I had never heard of until then.

I KNOW I was scarred for life, because I hate beets to this day.

Lovie

RE: Soul Food Sides Thu, 04/24/03 11:42 AM (permalink)
                                        Thank you all for your comments. I will try corn pone this weekend. Thank you Rick F. I would love to try pickled apples but I am certain they were beets. I remember saying that I would have the beets but I am Canadian and people in the south certainly think I have an accent. It took three people to try to understand that I was ordering "Slap Your Mama Down Pie". Though I'm pretty certain they were beets. Bushie you would not have made it in my family. We are from eastern Europe and have pickled beets, roasted beets, harvard beets, beet and horse radish and my favorite way to feature the most beautifully coloured vegatable in the world, BOARST. Have you ever had homemade boarst? On the subject of southern cookin. My blood might run with maple syrip but my tounge and taste buds were made for Dixie.

Lovie

RE: Soul Food Sides Thu, 04/24/03 11:47 AM (permalink)
                                          Rick F. do you mean the chemical slack lime? I know that they use that to make totillas sometimes but I have never heard of it used in pickles. Where do you get such and item? And how do they differ in taste? I know that it will be diffacult to describe.

rumbelly

• Total Posts: 235
                                            RE: Soul Food Sides Thu, 04/24/03 4:34 PM (permalink)
                                            Any of those greens simmered for days with ham and pork bones.

Bushie

RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 04/26/03 9:19 AM (permalink)
                                              Lovie, I would give homemade borscht a try, although I ain't promisin' I would like it. Being a student of "accents", though, I would give anything to hear you say "Slap Your Mama Down Pie"! Eh?

GaGal

RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 04/26/03 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Rick F.

Gotta have lime pickles: sweet, crunchy cucumber chips made with powdered lime, not the citrus fruit.

Oh yeah Rick - These are the kind my mother and I used to put up in the churn to sit for days and then rinse and process! Those are delicious and you could make them out of "whatever"....we pickled veggies of all kinds and they all turned out great. Goodness, I haven't made those since my mom passed away in the late seventies....

GaGal

RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 04/26/03 4:38 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by Bushie

Lovie, I think you're talking about pickled apples. ]

Bushie, We know those as "spiced" apples; but they are made like pickled peaches, and use allspice in them. That is part of our regular Christmas dinner. My grandmother would put those up in the peach season and we wouldn't open til Christmas! Spiced apples are sometimes made from crabapples and served whole, also. They are also a Christmas relish cause of the beautiful deep red color.

Bushie

RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 04/26/03 6:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    Crabapples. I don't think they grow down in Texas, 'cause I've never seen a crabapple tree in the 23 years I've lived here. As a kid in Missouri, though, we used to eat those sour little things right off the trees. I'll bet they make good "spiced apples".

One of the main things I love about this website is the reminder of foods I've had. Like a favorite song, these "food memories" take me back to that time. Thanks for the memory, Georgia Gal.

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 04/26/03 7:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      GAGAL,
                                                      Yeah the home canned extra color/spicy peaches were great, but my Mom would do pears in Red or Green coloring and spices when she canned them. Then on Christmas Eve, they made a very beautiful addition to the dinner being served.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                                        RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 04/26/03 7:43 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by Bushie

Lovie, I think you're talking about pickled apples. Did they have a hole in the middle? I loved those as a kid; I don't know what they used as a food coloring, but they were literally "beet red".

I distinctly remember going through a buffet line when I was a small child and ordering a side of those because I loved them. When I got to the table and took a big bite, I found that they WERE NOT pickled apples; they were BEETS, something I had never heard of until then.

I KNOW I was scarred for life, because I hate beets to this day.

Bushie, I know the exact feeling.. I had the same experience with confusing beets with a serving of jellied cranberry sauce..imagine my surprise! I can't eat beets either..bleah.

Sundancer7

RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 04/26/03 7:49 PM (permalink)
                                                          I LIKE BEETS!!!! I buy them pickled and plain. Great with a cracker and my evening libation!

Low fat also

Paul E. Smith
                                                          Knoxville, TN

Rick F.

• Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                            RE: Soul Food Sides Sat, 04/26/03 8:48 PM (permalink)
                                                            Lovie,

It's called "pickling lime" and you can find it in grocery stores (and WalMart) in the South. Pickles are quite sweet with a little bite--very little!--, crisp, and often artificially colored to make them really dark green. Look to GaGal for more info--she said she & her mother used to make them.
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by Lovie

Rick F. do you mean the chemical slack lime? I know that they use that to make totillas sometimes but I have never heard of it used in pickles. Where do you get such and item? And how do they differ in taste? I know that it will be diffacult to describe.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 57

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com