Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Soup in Summer

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39
emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
Soup in Summer Tue, 07/27/04 11:29 AM (permalink)
Do any of you like to eat soup in the summertime. I like it all year round. I called one of our favorite restaurants to order lunch and was told that they would not have a soup of the day until cold weather. They still have their house soup-baked potato soup, but no other choices. I like to make fresh vegetable soup especially in the summer. How about any of you?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17804
    RE: Soup in Summer Tue, 07/27/04 11:48 AM (permalink)
    A couple of weeks ago I made a soup of Italian sausage, canellini beans, potatoes, onions, broccoli rabe, ditalini and chicken stock. It was excellent.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
      RE: Soup in Summer Tue, 07/27/04 11:51 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by emsmom

Do any of you like to eat soup in the summertime. I like it all year round. I called one of our favorite restaurants to order lunch and was told that they would not have a soup of the day until cold weather. They still have their house soup-baked potato soup, but no other choices. I like to make fresh vegetable soup especially in the summer. How about any of you?

I was brought up NEVER having soup in the summer and thought it was a "Florida" thing since it's so darn hot. In fact some winter months are too hot. I have often thought about breaking that "habit" but have yet to. But then again a nice vichyssoise may be in order.

howard8

• Total Posts: 355
        RE: Soup in Summer Tue, 07/27/04 2:03 PM (permalink)
        I have soup usually for lunch at least three times per week throughout all the seasons. While I loke hot soup in the cold months I also enjoy a hot bowl of soup on hot days. Today was Progresso N.E. Clam Chowder. Most of the time I will choose a homemade soup from my freezer, like Turkey & rice, split pea, or beef barley.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
          RE: Soup in Summer Tue, 07/27/04 3:15 PM (permalink)
          I enjoy soup all year round also. Whenever I go to a restaurant, and there is a choice between soup and salad, I nearly always choose the soup. Tahoe Joe's Chicken Pot Pie soup or Mike's minestrone any time of year is to die for.

Rusty246

RE: Soup in Summer Tue, 07/27/04 3:21 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Rusty246

quote:

I was brought up NEVER having soup in the summer and thought it was a "Florida" thing since it's so darn hot. In fact some winter months are too hot. I have often thought about breaking that "habit" but have yet to. But then again a nice vichyssoise may be in order.

Let me add to my own post here. Now, I WILL eat soup in the summer no doubt, just don't really make it.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17804
              RE: Soup in Summer Tue, 07/27/04 3:51 PM (permalink)
              Oh, well, there are still people who won't eat oysters in the summer.

Rusty246

RE: Soup in Summer Tue, 07/27/04 3:59 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Oh, well, there are still people who won't eat oysters in the summer.

I would if they were available here. From what I understand
                oysters mate in the warmer months which makes for a less firm oyster, but they are still edible.

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                  RE: Soup in Summer Thu, 07/29/04 12:17 AM (permalink)
                  Being from Maryland, need I say, Yes I eat soup in the summer. Today you may be able to get crab meat year round but this has not always been so. When I was growing up crab soup was a summer treat, to have it in the winter you always froze some (still do) As to that restaurant, what about a nice gazpacho or vichysoise (sp?) or a fruit soup???

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                    RE: Soup in Summer Thu, 07/29/04 12:49 AM (permalink)
                    Whoa, dammit! Is there, could there possibly be, a bad season for soup? I'll admit my wife thinks so, but she voted for a member of that other political cult once, so who could take her seriously? No, give me soup, soup, beauteous soup any time of the year!

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                      RE: Soup in Summer Thu, 07/29/04 1:50 AM (permalink)
                      One would think that summers here in Fresno rising well over the 100 mark for weeks at a time would NOT be soup season.. but au contraire, one just eats it in air conditioned premises.

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
                        RE: Soup in Summer Thu, 07/29/04 7:39 AM (permalink)
                        One of the favorite meals in PA Dutch country is Chicken Corn Soup, usually made with fresh sweet corn from the summer gardens. In fact, many of the local festivals and bazaars feature Chicken Corn Soup as the drawing attraction.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6212
                          RE: Soup in Summer Fri, 07/30/04 1:46 AM (permalink)
                          Lovely summer soups would have to include She-Crab and Corn Chowder, fresh Lobster Bisque, a Potage Printanier, chilled strawberry soup with Chardonnay, Champagne and creme fraiche, cold cucumber soup with dill and yogurt, halibut or clam chowder after a night on cold, rainy, rough seas. Yep, we eat soup all year long! Nearly everything out of the garden or the ocean can be turned into soup......one of our favorite foods.....year 'round.

hefried

• Total Posts: 367
                            RE: Soup in Summer Sun, 08/8/04 12:30 AM (permalink)
                            Here is the story of the prefect summer soup.
                            My friend Sam served me soup yesterday for lunch, I took the leftovers home and had them for dinner tonite...

It was the most delectable corn "chowder" or perhaps "bisque"

He served it to me yesterday chilled with garnish of(lots of) fresh dungeness crab, minced jalapenos and cilantro and drizzle of olive oil. It was fantastic!
                            Tonite I heated the soup and added crisp bacon, crumbled,corn kernels, and diced roasted green chiles. It too, was phenomenal.
                            That was definitly worth eating soup in the summertime, both times
                            !

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Soup in Summer Sun, 08/8/04 1:31 AM (permalink)
                              August is my time of the year to make my homemade vegetable soup (either beef or chicken). Something about the low cost and abundance of fresh vegetables loaded with their fresh flavors! Beats frozen or canned veggies by far in flavor!

TIPPY LEE

• Total Posts: 135
                                RE: Soup in Summer Sun, 08/8/04 1:39 AM (permalink)
                                Just had some homemade beef vegetable soup this afternoon that a friend of my mother's made-jaw bustin' stuff!!!! Could eat potato soup every day of the year(of course, if only my mom made it! And she is 86 years old!)....Tom B. in the hills of Eastern Kentucky.

Vince Macek

• Total Posts: 855
                                  RE: Soup in Summer Sun, 08/8/04 7:54 AM (permalink)
                                  Ah yes - even though it topped 100 at coastal SC last week, the she-crab soup at the Seewee in Awendaw was a must-have for me.

RubyRose

• Total Posts: 2187
                                    RE: Soup in Summer Sun, 08/8/04 8:18 AM (permalink)
                                    Maybe it's a regional thing. Here in PA, the local restaurants and diners have soup on the menu all year round.

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
                                      RE: Soup in Summer Sun, 08/8/04 5:06 PM (permalink)
                                      Soup in summertime is great. Corn soups of all kinds, gazpacho, cucumber mint, tomato basil, pistou, the list could go on and on. Add some good bread and a glass of cool wine and life is very good.

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                                        RE: Soup in Summer Sun, 08/8/04 6:48 PM (permalink)
                                        Soup is perennial, it knows no seasons. I do tend to stick to lighter soups or vegetable based soups however in the hot months. I also have noticed, as I've aged, I've come to crave soups and broths more, than I did in my younger days and derive more of a sense of well being and being nourished without being pot belly full.

MissKitty

• Total Posts: 292
                                          RE: Soup in Summer Wed, 08/18/04 3:36 PM (permalink)
                                          quote:

Oh hell yeah ! Cold soup is nice in summer weather but many of the normal heated soups are still a great summer meal. I never eat tinned soups now so what can be easier if you dont feel too much like cooking than tossing some summer veggies in a pan with decent stock, a few minutes later and with the possible intervention of a blender and the definite addition of suitable fresh herbs, hey presto, instant light meal ! Bread amd/or salad and soup, yummy ! Also many of the lighter Asian soups are brilliant summer fare, with clear stock, chicken/beef, spices, veggies and noodles. Yum !

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
                                            • Location: St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL
                                            RE: Soup in Summer Wed, 08/18/04 4:43 PM (permalink)
                                            There's something about cold soup that freaks me out. It just seems so wrong.

I would rather endure a steaming hot cup of clam chowder on an equally steaming summer day than be forced to eat cold soup. Ick!

MissKitty

• Total Posts: 292
                                              RE: Soup in Summer Thu, 08/19/04 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Kristi S.

I would rather endure a steaming hot cup of clam chowder on an equally steaming summer day than be forced to eat cold soup. Ick!

Hehe. I do understand, horses for courses but what kind of cold soup have you tried thats amde you so vehemently against it ? * curious*

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1084
                                                RE: Soup in Summer Sun, 09/19/04 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by Kristi S.

I hear ya. You might as well just drink juice, ya know? I eat hot soup all year. I have to have soup in a Chinese restaurant, and if I'm in a seafood place I usually have whatever regional seafood goes into whatever soup they feature.

hermitt4d

• Total Posts: 367
                                                  RE: Soup in Summer Mon, 09/20/04 4:05 AM (permalink)
                                                  I will eat hot soup in summer and cold soup in winter. Soup is food for the soul and when the soul craves such nourishment I will try to satisfy the longing.

As it happened, the first soup I ever made not out of a can when I was teaching myself to cook was gazpacho and it is still one of my favorite dishes. I happened to have home-grown, home-canned tomatoes from my father's garden in the pantry and I have seldom made it since without the benefit of home-grown, home-canned tomatoes. I will not use tomato juice as a filler; if the tomatoes are not juicy enough, then I don't make gazpacho.

How anyone could ever have a well-made gazpacho and not like chilled soups is beyond my comprehension .

Other chilled soups I really like include cream of carrot and cream of zucchini and there are others.

Some soups that are made hot are awfully good to snack on chilled the next day.

buffetbuster

RE: Soup in Summer Wed, 05/30/07 1:47 PM (permalink)
                                                    When I think of soup in the summer, I always think of chilled (cold) soup.

Since my girlfriend is having her wisdom teeth taken out today, I wanted to get a real good meal in her last night. She chose McCormick & Schmick so she could get her favorite dish, salmon stuffed with crabmeat. Anyway, they had a wonderful Champagne Melon soup last night. It was sweet and had the consistency of thin applesauce and was delicious. I have had blueberry soup and strawberry soups in the summer, but this was my first time trying melon soup.

By the way, she tried a taste but definitely did not like the idea of chilled soup.

lleechef

RE: Soup in Summer Wed, 05/30/07 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                                      I have no problem with chilled soup. Yesterday I made broccoli cheddar soup and the day before it was fish chowder. Um, it's chilly here, in the 50's. No more Palm Springs and 100 degrees......dang! Soup time in the Summer!

roossy90

• Total Posts: 6695
                                                        • Location: columbus, oh
                                                        RE: Soup in Summer Wed, 05/30/07 10:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        quote:
                                                        Originally posted by lleechef

I have no problem with chilled soup. Yesterday I made broccoli cheddar soup and the day before it was fish chowder. Um, it's chilly here, in the 50's. No more Palm Springs and 100 degrees......dang! Soup time in the Summer!

I bet you are missing pulling the oranges off the trees!

lleechef

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Soup in Summer Thu, 05/31/07 12:53 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by roossy90

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by lleechef

I bet you are missing pulling the oranges off the trees!

HA! I miss the oranges, the lemons, the grapefruit, the kumquats......but mainly I miss pulling MYSELF away from the pool!!!!

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                                                            • Location: Staten Island, NY
                                                            RE: Soup in Summer Sat, 06/2/07 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                                            I eat soup year round. I'm in Flushing, NY at least once weekly and I always have a big bowl of noodle soup for lunch.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 39

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com