South Beach Diet

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4138
RE: South Beach Diet 2005/01/08 15:01:18 (permalink)
Today is day 6 of my try at the South Beach Diet. I've lost five pounds so far. I've exercised 3 days and I think that is helping. I also find it is a little easier to follow SoBeach rather than Atkins. It makes a big difference being able to have something sweet on occasion. I am also doing better at drinking the quantities of water------doesn't seem as daunting a task as it was when I tried Atkins.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
RE: South Beach Diet 2005/01/08 16:58:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

Today is day 6 of my try at the South Beach Diet. I've lost five pounds so far. I've exercised 3 days and I think that is helping. I also find it is a little easier to follow SoBeach rather than Atkins. It makes a big difference being able to have something sweet on occasion. I am also doing better at drinking the quantities of water------doesn't seem as daunting a task as it was when I tried Atkins.

Ed, The Sundancer has been doing the Atkins thing for better than a year and a half. You are correct in saying the South Beach is the best. I agree. The only reason I am staying with Atkins is I am familar with it and I know how to work with it. Good luck and it appears that it is working with you.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN
Fancifree
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: South Beach Diet 2005/12/30 20:57:57 (permalink)
Well, it's darn near a year later --- how is everyone on the South Beach/Atkins doing now? Are you still there, and have your diet/eating changes stayed with you?

I was on the South Beach for about 4 months and in that time I lost 15-18 pounds, effortlessly. Then I got "downsized" at my job.

Since then, I have had a hard time sticking to the letter of the plan, and have just this week gone back to the "by the book" structure. I only regained about 8 pounds, though, during my still-continuing stress period. Also, I noticed that I never have gone back to craving carbs. I don't eat much pasta at all anymore, and I used to live on the stuff. I eat rice only rarely, and always brown rice at that. It just tastes better, nuttier and more satisfying. Same with potatoes -- just don't need them anymore. On the other hand, pearled barley in soup is Yummy and much healthier for me. Cheers, all!

FanciFree
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: South Beach Diet 2005/12/30 22:06:17 (permalink)
I have stayed with the Atkins thing several years. I lost 50 pounds and I am still at 190 lbs. It works for me. There are times that I desire sweet foods but I let it go.

Dieting ain't so much food as I still get the desire for a doughnut, piece of cake or a piece of pie but I let it go.

I canot say tha I am a fan of Atkins but it has made my weight maintain.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: South Beach Diet 2005/12/31 01:59:57 (permalink)
Sundancer,
Out of curiosity, do you know how your other numbers (cholesterol, pressure) have fared with the Atkins thing?

I had an acquaintance who owned a Southern food restaurant whose wife, the chef, went on Atkins and not only lost a lot of weight, but both her cholesterol and pressure went down.

She made the greatest Chicken Fried Steak, but I imagine she couldn't eat it.

Myself...I have never been successful on Atkins. I can't seem to lose more than 10 lbs. on it. Plus, I start craving things like oranges and apples, which I admit, I otherwise never seek out.

Given my druthers, I'd scale a wall of oranges to get to a cookie, a piece of cake or a pastry. Boy do I love cake. Did I mention that I love cake?

Alas, about the only thing that works for me is counting calories.
The Bear
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: South Beach Diet 2005/12/31 08:28:47 (permalink)
Screenbear: I am not a advocate of the Atkins thing. Quite frankly I consider it very boring but it works for me and I stay on it mostly. To drop weight differs with most folks. Everyone has their own preference. I think the South Beach diet offers the same results at Atkins and more options. I just stay on Atkins cause it has worked for me. I have to admit that I get tired of meat, cheese and eggs. No bread, sugar and whatever.

To answer your question about BP and cholestrol, both dropped considerable. I do not know if it was due to the weight loss or the diet. My BP at one time was 220/140. It is now 130/80. I was using medication at the time and I still do but regardless, it dropped.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
SassyGritsAL
  • Total Posts : 1089
RE: South Beach Diet 2006/01/06 14:51:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Sundancer7

The Sundancer has been on the Atkins diet for about four months and I have lost about 30 pounds. It is boring and i personally believe the SB diet is better as it allows more options.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Congratulations on loosing 30 pounds, keep it up. I am starting Weight Watchers as I have to be on a supervsed diet for 6 months before my insurance will pay for the gastric by-pass I want to have.
Anyone who can stick to a diet is to be recommended. Will power is a great thing to have - unfortunately I don't have it.
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: South Beach Diet 2006/01/06 18:53:10 (permalink)
I just want to post a word of warning regarding the South Beach products that Kraft is selling. I bought a package of South Beach bars (I don't recall if they were called "snack bars", "candy bars" or ???) and suffered severe gastric distress for several hours after eating them.

After reading the ingredients (yes, I now realize that I should have read the ingredients prior to buying the package), I found out that it contained a form of "sugar alcohols", namely Maltilol. These substances are promoted as being able to pass through your digestive system without the same effect as natural sugars, and as a result, they are not counted as caloric.

Well, they may not be caloric, but unless you relish several hours of excessive gas and numerous trips to the toilet, I suggest that you avoid these products. When I called Kraft to complain, they first claimed ignorance of these nasty side-effects. When I pressed the issue, they stated that "some people" may experience this effect. My research indicates that almost everyone will experience this nastiness.

Not all of Kraft's South Beach products contain this noxious ingredient, so I would strongly suggest a careful reading of the ingredient list prior to purchase. I would advise avoiding any products that contain Maltilol.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: South Beach Diet 2006/01/06 22:09:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

I just want to post a word of warning regarding the South Beach products that Kraft is selling. I bought a package of South Beach bars (I don't recall if they were called "snack bars", "candy bars" or ???) and suffered severe gastric distress for several hours after eating them.

After reading the ingredients (yes, I now realize that I should have read the ingredients prior to buying the package), I found out that it contained a form of "sugar alcohols", namely Maltilol. These substances are promoted as being able to pass through your digestive system without the same effect as natural sugars, and as a result, they are not counted as caloric.

Well, they may not be caloric, but unless you relish several hours of excessive gas and numerous trips to the toilet, I suggest that you avoid these products. When I called Kraft to complain, they first claimed ignorance of these nasty side-effects. When I pressed the issue, they stated that "some people" may experience this effect. My research indicates that almost everyone will experience this nastiness.

Not all of Kraft's South Beach products contain this noxious ingredient, so I would strongly suggest a careful reading of the ingredient list prior to purchase. I would advise avoiding any products that contain Maltilol.

I have experienced similar experiences with products with malitol. I avoid them now. This is also in sugarless candies. I do something similar to the south Beach diet but I mostly adhere to Atkins. It is boring but it works for me.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
joanie41
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: South Beach Diet 2006/01/07 13:09:33 (permalink)
You will find that almost all of the protein bars being marketed for low-carb programs have sugar alcohols in them. Sometimes the SAs are listed separately on the nutrition label, sometimes you have to search the ingredient list for them. Regardless, SAs commonly cause GI distress. And, my understanding is that for those on Atkins or other ketogenic programs, eating a lot of SAs can knock one out of ketosis or cause weight loss stalls. For these reasons, I limit myself to only one of these bars per day. The nutritional profile for the South Beach bars seems a bit better than Atkins. (Atkins is typically higher in fat, and not as high in protein.)

Fancifree
Junior Burger
RE: South Beach Diet 2006/01/07 15:48:48 (permalink)
quote:
"You will find that almost all of the protein bars being marketed for low-carb programs have sugar alcohols in them. Sometimes the SAs are listed separately on the nutrition label, sometimes you have to search the ingredient list for them. "

I have been an off and on dieter all my life, and I thought everybody was pretty aware of the alcohol sugars, such as Sorbitol and Manitol and Maltilol -- they all have the same effect, and most products will have a warning on the label about the "laxitive" effect if eaten in quantity. Usually a very *small* warning label, but it's likely to be there somewhere in the nanoprint... ;-)

FF
Tedbear
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: South Beach Diet 2006/01/07 18:53:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Fancifree

quote:
"You will find that almost all of the protein bars being marketed for low-carb programs have sugar alcohols in them. Sometimes the SAs are listed separately on the nutrition label, sometimes you have to search the ingredient list for them. "

I have been an off and on dieter all my life, and I thought everybody was pretty aware of the alcohol sugars, such as Sorbitol and Manitol and Maltilol -- they all have the same effect, and most products will have a warning on the label about the "laxitive" effect if eaten in quantity. Usually a very *small* warning label, but it's likely to be there somewhere in the nanoprint... ;-)

FF

Unfortunately, Kraft did not have the honesty to print this type of information on their labels. And, despite their initial denials, they finally agreed with me that "some people" could experience GI distress. When I informed them that they were being disingenuous, and that this nasty GI effect was typically experienced by most people, they started offering me certficates for free South Beach products. I informed them that I did not want any products that contained sugar alcohols, even if they were free. Their response was that "many" of their products did not contain sugar alcohols.

Luckily, I did find a few South Beach products without that noxious stuff, in order to be able to redeem the certificates for free items. If you complain, the freebies will begin to flow. However, the best result of this negative experience is my new-found knowledge of which ingredients to avoid.
Fancifree
Junior Burger
RE: South Beach Diet 2006/01/07 21:05:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

Unfortunately, Kraft did not have the honesty to print this type of information on their labels. And, despite their initial denials, they finally agreed with me that "some people" could experience GI distress. When I informed them that they were being disingenuous, and that this nasty GI effect was typically experienced by most people, they started offering me certficates for free South Beach products. I informed them that I did not want any products that contained sugar alcohols, even if they were free. Their response was that "many" of their products did not contain sugar alcohols.

Luckily, I did find a few South Beach products without that noxious stuff, in order to be able to redeem the certificates for free items. If you complain, the freebies will begin to flow. However, the best result of this negative experience is my new-found knowledge of which ingredients to avoid.

Sorry to hear, Tedbear! I just avoid buying all those "plan" meals, as it's pretty easy to stick to the SB diet without them. Besides, if I buy some diet bars, I might be tempted to eat them all at once!

I have now lost a total of 10 pounds on my re-started SB diet, after 2 weeks; I'm going on Phase 2 tomorrow. Wish me luck, and good luck to all in the struggle with me!

FF
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1