South Beach Dinner 1 night

Author
KokomoJoe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 264
2003/10/10 07:26:04 (permalink)

South Beach Dinner 1 night

OK my "roadtrip" to the Keys is coming up fast (Oct. 27 2003)! We will spend one night at beginning and end of drive (from Cocoa Beach FL) down to the Keys in Miami, South Beach. The hotel is on Collins Ave. between 17th and 18th(N). It's about .2 mi. south of "Wolfies". So tell me is Wolfies good for dinner? It's a deli? What else is within walking distance of this area? An outdoor cafe sounds good so we can people watch. Or if you have other suggestions...great! Also on our return trip we'll be in South Beach (same hotel) Halloween Night! Anyone know what South Beach is like on Halloween night!? LOL Should be interesting to say the least! Oh by the way...any more suggestions for eating on the Keys will be gladly accepted too! We're staying in the cabins at Bahia Honda State Park for 3 nights! Doing some snorkeling! Thanks for your responses in advance! Happy eating! KokomoJoe

8 Replies Related Threads

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7890
    RE: South Beach Dinner 1 night 2003/10/10 07:42:02 (permalink)
    Wolfie's went out of business almost 2 years ago. If you're looking to spend $100 or more per person, I would recommend Joe's Stone Crabs, however I'm not sure if they are open yet for the season. There used to be a great Cuban restaurant right next to wolfies called La Rumba, they're gone too, but their is still a small take out only restaurant left. Signman recommended Puerto Sagua in a previous thread. I believe they are located on Collins about 10 blocks from where you are staying. Good Luck!
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: South Beach Dinner 1 night 2003/10/10 11:34:14 (permalink)
    Generally, you can't go wrong with any of the restaurants on Ocean Drive. I recently had a great meal at the Cleavlender, also I really enjoy Mangos for drinks and appetizers.

All of the restaurants display their nights specials on the street so my suggestion would be to take a walk down Ocean Drive and take a look at what they are offering. There have been many times that I have kicked myself for not seeing what was available before settling down for a meal.

Another great area, near South Beach, is Lincoln Road. This is an outdoor mall and they have numerous restaurants to choose from.

No matter what you decide be sure to sit outside and enjoy your meal. Nothing works up a hunger like al fresco dining in Miami.

P.S. Are you going to fantasy fest? If so, please reply back with how it went.
    mousec
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    RE: South Beach Dinner 1 night 2003/10/10 11:37:40 (permalink)
    Sorry, I did not read your last part of your post.

I spent last Halloween in South Beach. All I can say is to grab an outdoor table and take in the sights. I saw some pretty incredible costumes, some wild, some risque, some I don't know how to classify. In any event, enjoy a few libations and sit back and enjoy the show.

Also, don't forget to check the sandcastle on the ocean side of the street. It is pretty darn fantastic, especially at night when it is lit up by oil lights.

dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: South Beach Dinner 1 night 2003/10/10 12:59:05 (permalink)
    yeah puerta saugua is fantastic!midnight sandwich or grilled chicken with plaintains or black beans and rice and incredible 3-d artwork on the walls by the famed skull sisters[twins who always dress alike!]and great cuban cofee.a must stop if ever on south beach!or for something a little fancier try cafe nemo.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: South Beach Dinner 1 night 2003/10/16 00:54:25 (permalink)
    Joe's Stone Crab should've opened for the season today. It's not worth the usual 2 hour hour wait, but if you go early, and the fact that it is preseason, you should get in without much of a wait. For the full standard meal, large stone crabs, cole slaw, hash browns, creamed spinach and key lime pie, you will spend over $60 pp. You can save by ordering mediums, or by going for lunch.

The only Wofie Cohen Rascal House still operating in Miami is the one at Collins and 171st St. It's worth the trip just to experience it. Breakfast is probably best.

Puerta Sagua is at Collins and 7th. Open almost all day and night.

Lincoln Road Mall is just steps from your hotel. You probably can't go wrong with anything there.
    KokomoJoe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: South Beach Dinner 1 night 2003/10/16 07:05:09 (permalink)
    Signman: Thanks for your responses! Joe's is probably off "the A List" for us as we're traveling w/ very frugal people! And I don't think we'll be around for lunch! We arrive at S. Beach around 5-6PM both eves we're there. But I think we'll perhaps try Wolfies for breakfast. I'm not sure if there's a "free" continental breakfast at hotel or not. Speaking of hotels: have you (or anyone else out there!)seen,stayed or been in the Catalina (on Collins)? I did all of my investigating on line so I haven't actually been there! Hope it's not a dive! LOL If it is...we leave! Looks good on line!
    Also: we will probably have a meal up in Ft. Lauderdale at "Peter Pan Diner". I found it here in this site. Looks like a challenge! Will let you know what we all think when I return. We are going to stop at "Butterfly World" in Coconut Creek on our way south from Cocoa Beach!
    Has anyone out there been to Vizcaya? Have heard it's a great mansion (estate) to visit! Any good eats around it? We may do that on our return trip from the Keys (Bahia Honda).We just bought snorkeling equipment yesterday! Exciting!
    We will probably stop at "Coral Castle" in Homestead too! I visited there years ago and stopped at a place for BBQ that was excellent! Have no idea of the name or location! Anyone know what I might be thinking off? Or have any other ideas around Coral Castle for lunch? Any more ideas on eats on the Keys? We'll be in cabin at Bahia Honda for 3 nights so we'll be looking for lunch places Key West etc. Thanks everyone! Love this site! Happy eating! KokomoJoe
    dug
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 213
    RE: South Beach Dinner 1 night 2003/10/16 13:53:46 (permalink)
    hey joe,peter pan diner back in 92-93 was always a favorite of me and my freinds the pie case filled with pies on steroids always made you hungry !nicley done diner food ,sassy servers ! bon appetite!
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: South Beach Dinner 1 night 2003/10/17 00:05:31 (permalink)
    Joe,

The BBQ joint you were thinking of might be Shorty's which is on Dixie highway, just as you approach the U of Miami campus, just north of Dadeland Mall. It's OK. It'll be on your left going north from Homestead.

Haven't heard of the Catalina. Hope it's decent. You can still get a little taste of Joes at Joe's Take Away, located next to the restaurant on Washington. and Biscayne. Try some hash browns and key lime pie just for a snack. Those are priced right, and it's open until 9 pm.

Will you actually be in Key West? I leave on a cruise Sunday, but ship calls in Key West on Thursday, Oct. 30. Only there from 7 am til 2 pm. I'll be going to BO's Fish Wagon for a fried grouper sandwich.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1