South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama

Author
Heartbreaksoup
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 448
2013/03/17 16:27:32 (permalink)

South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama

So I am in the earliest stages of planning another two-day circumnavigation, which I might do in June.  This time, I'm considering starting in Chattanooga, and then taking I-24 to Monteagle, and US-64 west through Fayetteville, Lawrenceburg, and Savannah TN, then to Corinth MS, southeast to Muscle Shoals/Florence AL, then Athens/Huntsville, south to Cora, Birmingham, Leeds, Anniston, and back to Atlanta.

It's easy enough to track down barbecue places in this region (and if you are not familiar with it, bbqinbama.blogspot.com is a terrific resource), and I'll be researching Davwud's wonderful blog as well.  What I am specifically looking for in these corridors, give or take 20 miles either way along my route, are really old drive-ins, dairy bars, hot dog joints, curb service, the older the better.  Repurposed Tastee-Freezes, great big signs, wacky roadside architecture a must.  I've already been to Tasty Dip in Heflin and I hope to visit Goal Post BBQ in Anniston around sundown on this trip to see their animated neon sign in action - things like that.  All ideas along those lines welcome!

11 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/17 21:34:11 (permalink)
    If you go anywhere near the Shiloh Battlefield Military Park be sure to stop for a meal at Hagy's Catfish Hotel on the Tennessee River.

Southern Catfish doesn't get any better than the fish served overlooking the place where Grant's Troops landed from the steamboat ride and marched into one of the bloodiest battles of the Civil War.
    Save some room for a piece of Carmel Pie, a local dessert specialty. 

post edited by mayor al - 2013/03/17 21:35:28
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/18 09:04:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for the kind words G. There's not a whole lot I'll add since you're gonna look at my blog. You've already been to Dixie Freeze or I'd have made sure you took a good look at that.

I'd really be interested on your take of the Q at Chuck Wagon in Fayetteville, Tn. It's some of the best I've had. Only on Th, Fr, Sa.

However, Dilworth's Tamales in Corinth is on my to do list. As is Hagy's mentioned by Al. There's also Nikki's Drive Inn in Chatt.

Also, if you're up near Winchester, Tn there's an old, working mill that grinds their own organic grits and corn meal. If you're familiar with Cotton Row in HSV they get their grist from them.
    http://www.fallsmill.com/

Lastly, when is this trip?? I may be in the area. Perhaps we could hook up. The wife is an avid reader of your blog as well.

DT
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/18 14:59:10 (permalink)
    The date is kind of open right now... depends on ad revenue for my blogs, and speaking of which, I just posted about Nikki's Drive Inn in Chattanooga just yesterday!    But it'll be a few months from now, possibly late June if all goes well, and I'll drop you a line.

But yes, more suggestions on the order of Dixie Freeze would be helpful, if anybody knows of any.  I might get by Trowbridge's in Florence AL, which I found at Chopped Onion.
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/19 07:23:08 (permalink)
    Right now the plan is to be in HSV the weekend before Memorial Day.
    That said, my FIL is not doing well and our spring trip could conceivably start tomorrow. Though I don't think anything is that imminent.

DT
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/19 14:53:31 (permalink)
    In Florence, AL you need to look up an old-time ice cream shop called Trowbridges.  It opened as an 8-stool lunch counter in 1918 and has changed but little since.  To do it right, order their trademark egg-and-olive sandwich (toasted in a stainless-steel press) and a couple of scoops of their orange-pineapple ice cream. Takes me right back to my youth every time...

Trowbridge's Ice Cream & Sandwich Bar
    316 N. Court St.
    Florence, AL, 35630
    TEL:  (256) 764-1503

post edited by pogophiles - 2013/03/19 15:04:18
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/19 15:42:45 (permalink)
    I have my fingers crossed for Trowbridge's.  Visiting every place that Chopped Onion finds is a recipe for great photos and better meals.  Thanks!
    Art Deco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 890
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/20 12:31:11 (permalink)
    Actually, thank you for the "Chopped Onion" reference, as I was unaware of that blog's existence.  When I was a kid, Trowbridge's was the side benefit of a visit to the optometrist, who was located within walking distance, IIRC...
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/20 15:32:28 (permalink)
    Oh, heavens, everybody here should read Chopped Onion.  That's a must for anybody who likes Roadfood.

http://www.choppedonion.com/
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/03/31 16:16:40 (permalink)
    So, following up, when I am in Corinth, I'd like a slugburger.  Who has the better one: Borroum's, or White Trolley?
    Heartbreaksoup
    Cheeseburger
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/06/27 02:11:27 (permalink)
    Just in case anybody missed it, this trip happened, and it was awesome.  I had a lot of barbecue, some weird burgers, and went by two dairy bars, and the first of nine chapters detailing the trip is up now.  Check out where I went:

bit.ly/10U9sIW
    Earl of Sandwich
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 600
    Re:South Central TN / Corinth MS / northern Bama 2013/06/28 06:59:04 (permalink)
    I think if you'll go just a couple miles past Monteagle you'll find the town of Sewanee, TN which is home of University of the South.  Very historic as well as picturesque and definitely worth a visit.  One of the more unique towns you'll find in Tennessee and the south in general.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1