South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portillo's

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ayersian
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 900
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/22 19:26:12 (permalink)
Rob, you look stunned by Cunis' incredible offerings -- don't worry, it happens to the best of us, my friend!  Chris
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/22 19:29:20 (permalink)
Well, it took sixty-nine bucks and over an hour on the phone with a Dell tech, but I'm finally able to post photos again. Was it worth the time, money and aggravation? Yup, I think so. I took hundreds of photos on my recent North Carolina trip, many of them of roadfood subjects, and I'd like to be able to share at least a few of them with y'all ( a trip report, perhaps?... we'll see. )
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 502
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/22 19:44:37 (permalink)
ayersian

Rob, you look stunned by Cunis' incredible offerings -- don't worry, it happens to the best of us, my friend!  Chris

Chris,

I was stunned by the ice cream and candy at Cunis'.  Maybe I was thinking "Why didn't I eat more ice cream here and more chicken at the last place?"   My brain is overflowing with all the incredible offerings of food from my travel spots.

Unfortunately, my picture will stun anyone who happens to look at it, and I don't mean stunned in a good way.  I think you might have created a monster when you showed Bob how to post pictures.  Actually, I am looking forward to seeing his pictures, and I am sure he has many that are better than the one of me.

Rob
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/22 19:47:41 (permalink)
nocarolina

Well, it took sixty-nine bucks and over an hour on the phone with a Dell tech, but I'm finally able to post photos again. Was it worth the time, money and aggravation? Yup, I think so. I took hundreds of photos on my recent North Carolina trip, many of them of roadfood subjects, and I'd like to be able to share at least a few of them with y'all ( a trip report, perhaps?... we'll see. )

Bob,

So sorry to hear about the computer aggravation that you had to endure.  I am glad that you are able to post pictures because they add to my woefully-lacking-in-pictures report (well, except for that picture of me, but I won't go there...).  I am sure that the photographs of the NC trip will be well-received, and a trip report is always a great idea.  Looking forward to seeing more great photographs of outstanding food from the homeland.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/23 12:06:45 (permalink)
Bob-yes, a N.C. report is a must....!!
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/24 01:45:10 (permalink)
Ann, you gotta say pretty-please ( and as lazy as I am, that's still no guarantee! )  :~)
ellen4641
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3531
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/24 10:22:11 (permalink)
great report, buffalo tarheel!

That fried chicken from Papalano's 's looks good...
the breast looks a little small, though, like one of those "side breasts"...

Nice seeing that pic of YOU, too !!
post edited by ellen4641 - 2009/05/24 10:25:23
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/24 10:41:50 (permalink)
Ellen, I brought that "small" breast home with me ( actually it was bigger than it looks ), and made a delicious chicken sandwich with it Thurs. evening. It yielded a sizable amount of meat; a liberal application of Miracle Whip and some potato chips on the side resulted in an easy and tasty dinner.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/24 12:18:06 (permalink)
Pretty please??????
Louis
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 729
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/24 16:36:33 (permalink)
Hang in there, Bob.  Your pictures look great!

KenK
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 143
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/24 17:50:23 (permalink)
Having grown up in Northwest Indiana, it was with great pleasure and interest when I first spotted your road report. Thanks very much for submitting it. I have enjoyed reading it very much.

Though it has been over 30 years, since I have lived in Northwest Indiana, my wife and I regularly make at least one annual trip to that part of the country and surrounds to visit friends and relatives.  On one of our trips, I made it a point to stop at the Portillo's that you visited. Sorry, your pictures did not turn out for you. Each Portillo's has it's own theme. And the one in Merrillville has a 1930's theme.

We always make it a point to stop at a Portillo's at least once, whenever we are in the Chicago  area, because we like them so much. And we have always found each store to be consistently good as the other, and never changing over time... always serving some of the best fast food we have gotten anywhere in this great country of ours.

To my taste, they serve the absolutely best Italian beef sandwiches in the Chicago area.
My standard order is one Italian Beef sandwich , along with a Chicago style hot dog with a small order of fries.

I feel if you ever have an opportunity to get back to the Chicago area, that you owe it to yourself to try a Chicago style hot dog.... and make sure that it is from Portillo's, as in my mind they do it right, and the best. A Vienna dog, on a poppy seed bun, with all the proper additions and of course the celery salt. Keep in mind, that you have the option of adding the sport peppers or not. My wife does not care for them, as she does not handle hot tasting food well. But I have her order sport peppers with her's so that I can have extras for me . (LOL).

The only problem I have with the Portillo's in Merrillville, is that it is just a hop skip and a jump down US 30 from a White Castle, which is also at least a one time must stop for us whenever we are in the Chicago area.

Once again, great report. And thanks so much for posting it !

carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 01:02:58 (permalink)
Ann, you've said the magic words! You can count on a trip report on the North Carolina roadtrip that I made earlier this month. It was an eight day odyssey in which I got as far south as Spartanburg SC ( guess where I ate there! ), and took almost 800 photos, including pics of every meal that I had during the trip. I ate at twelve "official" Roadfood places during those eight days; five of them were first-timers for me. Look for the first part of the report in the next couple of days.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 08:36:33 (permalink)
ellen4641

great report, buffalo tarheel!

That fried chicken from Papalano's 's looks good...
the breast looks a little small, though, like one of those "side breasts"...

Nice seeing that pic of YOU, too !!

Thanks, Ellen.  The trip was an enjoyable one for me, although I still cringe when I look at the picture of me.  The chicken was pretty filling, as you can tell from Bob's note about how he used the leftovers.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 08:37:54 (permalink)
nocarolina

Ann, you've said the magic words! You can count on a trip report on the North Carolina roadtrip that I made earlier this month. It was an eight day odyssey in which I got as far south as Spartanburg SC ( guess where I ate there! ), and took almost 800 photos, including pics of every meal that I had during the trip. I ate at twelve "official" Roadfood places during those eight days; five of them were first-timers for me. Look for the first part of the report in the next couple of days.

Bob,

Good deal.  I am looking forward to the trip report and know that it will be inspiring and hunger-inducing.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 08:43:02 (permalink)
KenK

Having grown up in Northwest Indiana, it was with great pleasure and interest when I first spotted your road report. Thanks very much for submitting it. I have enjoyed reading it very much.

Though it has been over 30 years, since I have lived in Northwest Indiana, my wife and I regularly make at least one annual trip to that part of the country and surrounds to visit friends and relatives.  On one of our trips, I made it a point to stop at the Portillo's that you visited. Sorry, your pictures did not turn out for you. Each Portillo's has it's own theme. And the one in Merrillville has a 1930's theme.

We always make it a point to stop at a Portillo's at least once, whenever we are in the Chicago  area, because we like them so much. And we have always found each store to be consistently good as the other, and never changing over time... always serving some of the best fast food we have gotten anywhere in this great country of ours.

To my taste, they serve the absolutely best Italian beef sandwiches in the Chicago area.
My standard order is one Italian Beef sandwich , along with a Chicago style hot dog with a small order of fries.

I feel if you ever have an opportunity to get back to the Chicago area, that you owe it to yourself to try a Chicago style hot dog.... and make sure that it is from Portillo's, as in my mind they do it right, and the best. A Vienna dog, on a poppy seed bun, with all the proper additions and of course the celery salt. Keep in mind, that you have the option of adding the sport peppers or not. My wife does not care for them, as she does not handle hot tasting food well. But I have her order sport peppers with her's so that I can have extras for me . (LOL).

The only problem I have with the Portillo's in Merrillville, is that it is just a hop skip and a jump down US 30 from a White Castle, which is also at least a one time must stop for us whenever we are in the Chicago area.

Once again, great report. And thanks so much for posting it !

Kenk,

Thanks for the note.  Portillo's does have good beef and hot dogs.  I really enjoyed the Italian beef sandwich.  You are right about the proximity of the White Castle, although I never have acquired the taste for them.  For anyone who likes them, the proximity makes it an easy stop.  I will definitely try a dog with the proper dressings on them, although the Vienna Beef dogs are very good just with mustard.    I usually make a couple of trips or so each year to the area for business, so I should have more chances to sample the food.  I have been reading KingT's reports about roadfood in the NW Indiana area and see that there are many good places to check out.  Looking forward to my next trip.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 09:21:14 (permalink)
Rob, you really shouldn't let that photo of yourself bother you. Take a look at some of the photos of me that have been posted on this website. I've resisted the temptation to go hide under a rock for the rest of my life, and your pic looks a lot better than any of mine!  :~)  
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6382
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 20:25:23 (permalink)
BT and Bob

Great adventure.  it is always good to share a meal with a fellow roadfooder.  The candy store looks awesome.

My cousin just accepted an outstanding job offer in Gary, she is moving to hobart so i will be making a couple of journeys up that way this summer.

Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 20:39:34 (permalink)
CajunKing,

Thanks so much.  You are right about what a great time it is to meet another Roadfooder.  I have certainly enjoyed reading about your trips and meet-ups with others.  (The one you had in Cincinnati with Chris and Amy sounded like a real blast.)  Maybe we'll both be in NW Indiana at the same time this summer and have a chance to have a meal together.  There is definitely a good choice of food in that area and in nearby Illinois.  (Of course, everywhere I have been this year has some good food opportunities.)
sk bob
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 20:54:20 (permalink)
good job you guys.
nocarolina overcame insurmountable odds.
buffalo tarheel, great job as usual.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/25 23:51:54 (permalink)
I'm afraid my NC trip report has to be put on hold temporarily. I just attempted to post Part 1, only to discover that I've once again lost the photo-posting function on my @#$%^&* computer ( I wonder if I can get my sixty-nine bucks back? ) No more no-nothing Dell techs for me; I'm calling the repair guy in the morning!
post edited by nocarolina - 2009/05/25 23:55:06
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/26 01:28:31 (permalink)
^^^^don't call the repair guy, call Geek Squad. They can come over & walk you through the process.

BT--Glad you were able to try some Chicago specialties. Next time you go to Portillo's, try the chocolate cake. You will not be disappointed.

Oh & if you don't want your face on the internet, it's a bad idea to hang out with us Roadfooders!!!!! I'll take someone's pic down if they ask, but now I just throw all the pics up in an album, people can copy what pics they want.
Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/26 06:57:52 (permalink)
Stricken_detective,

Thanks for the recommendation for the cake at Portillo's.  I have heard that it is good.  My problem will be finding room for it after the hot dog and Italian beef sandwich, which means I'll have to eat less of the other food and more dessert.  Not a bad idea, actually.

As far as the picture, I don't mind it being posted.   I was joking about how I appear in the picture.  I just wish I looked better, but as Popeye says, I yam what I yam.  (Always a food analogy...)  I have posted pictures of others as well.  Having pictures of Roadfood people makes it easier to recognize them when we meet someplace.   I just hope that Bob can get back the ability to post pictures because he has some nice ones of his trips.  Thanks again.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/26 08:15:52 (permalink)
No more Geek Squad for me, Aimee, even though I did buy the PC at Best Buy. I recently had a very unpleasant experience with the Geek Squad, involving a DVD player, that totally soured me on that less-than-skillful bunch. I'd rather pay the local repair guy to take care of the problem, rather than risk more aggravation and frustration with the GS. I still buy small items ( CDs, DVDs, and accessories ) at Best Buy, but I'll no longer buy electronics there.
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/26 08:19:34 (permalink)
Rob, I've had that chocolate cake at Portillo's. Listen to our resident detective... she knows what she's talking about!
Just found out that my computer's gonna be in the shop for a couple of days. Bummer...
post edited by nocarolina - 2009/05/26 10:57:32
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/05/26 13:46:17 (permalink)
CajunKing

My cousin just accepted an outstanding job offer in Gary, she is moving to hobart so i will be making a couple of journeys up that way this summer.

Is she a pizza maker?

Brad
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/07/11 22:52:54 (permalink)
Just getting caught up on weeks of postings....

Kudos for such a great report! This really opens up a part of Chicago that (for me) is undiscovered.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4205
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/07/11 23:20:26 (permalink)
quijote, just in case you weren't aware, nocarolina is leading a tour of South Side Chicago Suburban restaurants on Saturday, August 22nd.  Details can be found in the planning thread here.

If you're free you know we'd love to have you join us.
EDIT/UPDATE: I just hopped over to the planning thread and see that you have jumped on board.  Hope you can make it!
Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/07/11 23:24:55
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 648
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/07/11 23:28:03 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

quijote, just in case you weren't aware, nocarolina is leading a tour of South Side Chicago Suburban restaurants on Saturday, August 22nd.  Details can be found in the planning thread here.

If you're free you know we'd love to have you join us.
EDIT/UPDATE: I just hopped over to the planning thread and see that you have jumped on board.  Hope you can make it!
Buddy

Hey Buddy, Looking forward to it, and it will be great to see everyone there who can attend. I've been on this site, catching up after a bit of an absence, for about two hours now, and I've barely caught up with July 1!  The folks here do some serious eatin' and picture takin'! 

Buffalo Tarheel
Double Cheeseburger
Re:South Chicago / Northwest Indiana trip May 18 week - Popolano's, Cunis Candies, Portill 2009/07/21 21:46:06 (permalink)
quijote

Just getting caught up on weeks of postings....

Kudos for such a great report! This really opens up a part of Chicago that (for me) is undiscovered.

Quijote,

Thanks for your note.  I am just getting caught up myself: in the second of two weeks of travel with no time for Roadfood places - oh, the humanities!  I can tell you that Bob (nocarolina) is a great host and you will have a great time if you make it to the August 22 tour.  Wish I could be with you all.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1