Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC

big666dog

• Total Posts: 83
  • Roadfood Insider
South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 08/28/10 10:56 AM (permalink)
My wife and I are mid-way through our annual monster road trip. We write a food blog, so all the food and places along the way are noted. We've been doing this for three years now and have covered the US Southwest, the West Coast and now parts of the South East.

Today, we're traveling from Jacskon, MS to Memphis, TN, having had some terrific BBQ (and the BEST EVER wings) at E&L BBQ in Jackson. Looking forward to hitting Uncle Lou's for fried chicken in Memphis. We'll be glued to Road Food and other sites looking for the best Memphis BBQ.

The current trip hit(s): Austin, Galveston, New Orleans, Jackson, Memphis, Nashville, Asheville, NC and finally Myrtle Beach.

This community is increasingly becoming a terrific resource for us as we research places to eat along the way, so thank you everybody!

You can read about our travels and food adventures at:

triple-w dot happymouth dot ca

3 major and 1 minor road trips are detailed there. Lots of pics. We look for authentic food experiences and don't care if they happen in a white-linen-tablecloth upscale rock-star chef place or a hole in the wall.

You can follow us on Facebook by searching for Happy Mouth and "liking us".
We're on twitter at HappyMouthBlog. Looking forward to getting more involved here at Road Food.

Rob Rose

<message edited by big666dog on Sat, 08/28/10 2:53 PM>

Littleman

• Total Posts: 590
    Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 08/28/10 1:57 PM (permalink)
    I have lived near Memphis all my life.  I have never heard of Captain Lou's.  Would you be more specific.  If you liked the BBQ in Jackson, MS you will faint eating Memphis BBQ it's so good.

Also what's your blog's address.  You don't say what it is. 
    <message edited by Littleman on Sat, 08/28/10 1:59 PM>

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
      Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 08/28/10 2:34 PM (permalink)
      Thanks "Littleman"! As a newbie poster, the admins disable my ability to list links so, here it is in code:

triple-w dot happymouth dot ca

We are looking to try legendary Memphis BBQ and I have no doubts it will hit a new high. As a long time native, where do you recommend?

And... yes, I got the name wrong above. It's Uncle Lou's Fried Chicken tha we'll be checking out... I will edit my original post to correct both issues.

Thanks again.

Rob

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
        Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 08/28/10 2:57 PM (permalink)
        Gotta go to Luigi's in Conway, SC. Only about a twenty minute ride from Myrtle. Get the veal saltamboca...best I've ever had. http://local.yahoo.com/SC...ts/Italian+Restaurants

wheregreggeats.com

Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 08/28/10 3:08 PM (permalink)
          Welcome to RF.

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 08/28/10 6:53 PM (permalink)
            Pancho

Gotta go to Luigi's in Conway, SC. Only about a twenty minute ride from Myrtle. Get the veal saltamboca...best I've ever had.

Thanks, Pancho. But then we'd have rename our trip, "the Blues, BBQ and Saltimboca Tour".  It just doesn't have the same "ring" to it.

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 08/28/10 11:11 PM (permalink)
              New Posting: The Road to Memphis - Chicken with Sweet, Spicy Love and the Birthplace of Rock and Roll!  triple-w dot happymouth dot ca

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sun, 08/29/10 11:07 PM (permalink)
                 New Post: We meet the King of Rock and Roll and the King of BBQ Ribs in Memphis, not to mentioned some BBQ Spaghetti!

triple w dot happymouth dot ca

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Mon, 08/30/10 9:28 PM (permalink)
                  New Posting: A real Southern Tea Room Lunch and the last day for BBQ in Memphis:

ocdreamr

• Total Posts: 1109
                    Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Mon, 08/30/10 11:15 PM (permalink)
                    Big 6
                         You might want to watch for Earl & adjust your travel schedule accordingly.  The local news & weather are saying he may arrive in the area about Thursday.  They're still not sure how close to land he will come but I have a feeling Canada doesn't get many hurricanes & the land arround here is flat & if nothing else floods easy!

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                      Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Tue, 08/31/10 4:06 PM (permalink)
                      Thanks! We're watching closely. If it makes landfall, it looks to be to the north of us in North Carolina (if at all)....the cool thing about roadtips: changing course is easy.

Dipstick

• Total Posts: 337
                        Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Wed, 09/1/10 7:22 AM (permalink)
                        I checked out this food blog, and I highly recommend a visit. Great pictures and commentary, not just on this trip but many other food adventures as well.

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                          Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Wed, 09/1/10 10:17 AM (permalink)
                          New Posting: From Memphis to Nashville: From superfluous marshmallows to an insider's peek at Nashville food and the Nashville hit factory!
                          triple w dot happtmouth dot ca

ayersian

Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Wed, 09/1/10 11:24 AM (permalink)
                            Hey Bigdog, are you in NC right now?  You should check out the Historic NC BBQ Trail if so.  I see you're going through upper SC, too -- let me know if you're looking for food recs.  There's LOTS of great spots on your route!    Chris

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                              Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Wed, 09/1/10 12:05 PM (permalink)
                              For anyone who has had trouble figuring out his blog site:

http://www.happymouth.ca/The_Happy_Mouth/Home.html

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Wed, 09/1/10 5:45 PM (permalink)
                                Thanks very much for the post, Kland01s! Our newbie status is kind of frustrating. Everyone feel free to visit and leave comments!

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Wed, 09/1/10 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                  ayersian

Hey Bigdog, are you in NC right now?  You should check out the if so.  I see you're going through upper SC, too -- let me know if you're looking for food recs.  There's LOTS of great spots on your route!    Chris

We head for Asheville, NC tomorrow. Unfortunately, our rout doesn't really take us near the NC BBQ map places. The closest we come is to Shelby, but we're heading straight there... We are planning a stop at 12 Bones in Asheville.

The path from Asheville to Myrtle Beach is wide open, though. We're open to all recommendations!

Rob

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Thu, 09/2/10 12:09 AM (permalink)
                                    New post: Country Ham to Truffled Steak in Music City. 

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                                      Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Thu, 09/2/10 9:50 PM (permalink)
                                      New Posting: From NY Deli to Carolina Pig.  triple w dot happymouth dot ca

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 09/4/10 12:29 AM (permalink)
                                        New Posting: Asheville NC, to Myrtle beach, SC - Tomato Jam and King Crab!

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 09/4/10 7:29 PM (permalink)
                                          New posting: Myrtle Beach Day 16 - GREAT seafood in culinary wasteland.

big666dog

• Roadfood Insider
                                            Re:South East Road trip - Austin, TX to Myrtle Beach, SC Sat, 09/4/10 9:56 PM (permalink)
                                            Woohoo! Road Trip 4 is in the bag! Check out our final post from the road: triple w dot happymouth dot ca

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com