The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 150
mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/2/09 12:48 PM (permalink)
Oooooh,  lots of dishes!

I'll be there!

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

catosaurus

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/2/09 4:29 PM (permalink)
    For those unfamiliar with Phillipe's, there's no table service at all. You order at their counter, get your food on a tray, and carry it to any open table in the joint.  They have seating available at street level and on their second floor.  As busy as they may get on a Sunday, it's nothing in comparison to what they're like during the weekday lunch period (12pm to 2pm).  On those days, you can wait in line to order for more than 30 minutes.  Even under those circumstances, I've always been able to find seating, and have never seen any customers backed up waiting for tables to be vacated (except for those who insist on sitting downstairs, only).

MiamiDon

Re:Southern California Meet 'n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/2/09 4:36 PM (permalink)
      Just to get everybody warmed up:

P.S.  I'm jealous!!!
      <message edited by MiamiDon on Thu, 04/2/09 4:44 PM>

BigGlenn

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/2/09 6:16 PM (permalink)
        Also, at Phillippe's we can take the gathering upstairs and I doubt if we would be rushed what so ever.  I will go with the flow, sit and take it slow or get up and go! It will be quite the show you know........LOL

morganen

• Total Posts: 22
          Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/2/09 6:59 PM (permalink)
          I live down the street from Phillipe's. I'd love to eat a delicious sandwich and meet other roadfood fanatics! I'm new to roadfood. Should I just keep checking back on this forum for the details?

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/2/09 9:24 PM (permalink)
            Morganen
              Welcome to the site. I am sure you will be welcome to participate in the meet-n-eat that is coming up in L A . Check the whole thread from the opening post and you should get a good idea of the timing and the number of folks participating.  Enjoy the session. Every one we have attended turned out to be a great time !
            AL

BigGlenn

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/2/09 11:38 PM (permalink)
              I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas! Well actually, I feel like I did as a kid waiting for Thanksgiving. By the way Morganen, being the new kid to roadfood, at your first Meet and Eat you have to find the biggest guy there and give him a dollar. I don't make the rules...........LOL Thats what Al The Mayor made me do 5 years ago at my first one.  Love Ya Al......LOL

<message edited by BigGlenn on Thu, 04/2/09 11:40 PM>

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Fri, 04/3/09 9:49 AM (permalink)
                Morganen

welcome to Roadfood.

right now the tentative time to meet will be at 1pm at Philippes.
                Stay tuned for details as they might change.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Fri, 04/3/09 11:34 AM (permalink)
                  Sheesch Glenn,  Don't tell the Roadfooder's about that damn Dollar....I've been collecting more than that from them since '05 !!! 

Just kidding about the toll charge guys. However I do remember arriving at Woody's BBQ (Foothill Blvd, in Rancho Cuc.) a bit early (as usual) for that first meeting. It was Superbowl Sunday in 2004. When I pulled in Jan and I  (and McDuff) sat in the truck for a few minutes, then up walked a big mean looking guy who identified himself as "Big Glenn"...and the rest is history.  What that says is that Glenn was the first person on this site that we met at a "Meet-n-eat". We had one-on-one sessions with Rick F and his wife, and with Bushie on the way west, but the meet-up was our first group get-together and it set the pattern for all the rest. Elise, Red Patti, Lleechef (Lisa) were all there. It was a real good time.

morganen

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Fri, 04/3/09 12:56 PM (permalink)
                    I'm really looking forward to this. I can't wait to meet everyone!

jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
                      Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Sat, 04/4/09 1:51 PM (permalink)
                      Oooooooohhhhh noooooo, I'd love to meet n greet forum members from So Cal, espcially at Phillipe's my favorite sandwich shoppe, plus as indicated Cielito Lindo in nearby Olvera St-the starting point of the 'the City of Angels". Wow, however on Friday the 18th my wife and I embark to Sacramento for a week as my sister in law is getting married that same day and we want to go visit friends in Santa Rosa while being so near before returning to the Southland.

Please post your next meeting and thanks for planning this

BigGlenn

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Sat, 04/4/09 10:23 PM (permalink)
                        Jonjax its all about priority's........Sister In Law's Wedding?.......Meet and Greet?....No Question......Meet Greet!  Sorry you can't be with us. There will be pictures I am sure.  Enjoy the Wedding! LOL

mar52

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Mon, 04/6/09 12:33 AM (permalink)
                          We'll just have to meet next time.

Enjoy the wedding!

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Tue, 04/7/09 6:20 PM (permalink)
                            Well, we're less than 2 weeks away from the big event...

I know I'm psyched......

To prep me for my upcoming trip, I had california rolls twice in one week, first with coworkers at a local Japanese Restaurant here in Rhode Island   and I just picked up some today at Trader Joe's for dinner. I'm still trying to decide which sucked more!

I'm looking forward to having "the real thing"!

catosaurus

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Tue, 04/7/09 6:35 PM (permalink)
                              Are we still meeting at 1pm on April 19th (at Phillipe's)?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Tue, 04/7/09 6:43 PM (permalink)
                                catosaurus

Are we still meeting at 1pm on April 19th (at Phillipe's)?

Yes we are!

Catracks

• Total Posts: 196
                                  Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Tue, 04/7/09 7:51 PM (permalink)
                                  I haven't been on Roadfood in a little while.  I'd love to join you at Philippe's and Celito Lindo.  How did you know that my family always hits those two places in succession?  Luz del Dia is wonderful too.  The best is the carnitas on home made corn tortillas.

I love the mustard.  Put that in your potato salad for a little kick!

I would have missed this if it weren't on the front page.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Tue, 04/7/09 9:03 PM (permalink)
                                    UPDATE

For those who were planning on joining me at  Daichan for dinner  after the festivities at Philippe, Cielito Lindo, etc., well as it turns out, being "Mr. Plan Ahead" pays off! They're closed on Sundays

Perhaps as an alternative for those who are interested  we can meet for Korean BBQ at Parks BBQ in Koreatown for dinner
                                    http://www.parksbbq.com
                                    According to their website, they're open on Sundays too!

Catracks

Glad you can join us!

jonjax

sorry you can't make it. I'm sure there will be other meet n greets that will be planned in the future...

mar52

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Wed, 04/8/09 1:03 AM (permalink)
                                      Park's sounds great to me.  I've wanted to try it for awhile now and my Applebee friends just don't see it.

Hope everyone can go!  I've heard about the panchan or banchan that they put out on the table and I need a taster!

BigGlenn

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Wed, 04/8/09 6:37 PM (permalink)
                                        Just making another post in an attempt to keep the news on the front page of roadfood. It's LA, I hope we get a good turn out. It will be another 5 years before we pull off another one. LOL

catosaurus

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 12:56 AM (permalink)
                                          I'll follow your lead, BigGlenn, and post my entry to keep this thread active.  How many of us will there be at Phillipe's on 4/19?  Also, for those who haven't met up before, how do we recognize each other (besides the happy grins of satisfied diners, that is)?

mar52

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 12:58 AM (permalink)
                                            Will we all have cameras?

We might need a reservation for Parks.

BigGlenn

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 4:41 AM (permalink)
                                              catosaurus

I'll follow your lead, BigGlenn, and post my entry to keep this thread active.  How many of us will there be at Phillipe's on 4/19?  Also, for those who haven't met up before, how do we recognize each other (besides the happy grins of satisfied diners, that is)?

Oh you won't miss me......I bet money there won't be anyone there bigger than me. LOL   We need to design a National Road Food badge that we can buy from this site with our name on it just for times like these. I am sure there will be some kind or protocol figured out before we all meet.  I am looking forward to meeting everyone too!

morganen

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 12:52 PM (permalink)
                                                I will definitely be there, most likely plus one. I too was wondering how we would recognize each other.  

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 2:20 PM (permalink)
                                                  We have posted photos of Glenn and Elise and Dale on this thread...and I believe that Marlene has a photo or two on some of her trip threads. Take a look at them and look around the place!! iF THAT DOESN'T WORK...STAND UP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE THE CROWD AND SHOUT "ROADFOOD"...anyone without a police uniform who responds is probably one of the group !!

We have used stick-on nametags at some meetings, but frankly haven't needed them as the members tend to be outgoing enough to introduce themselves without any problems about 'talking to strangers'!!

GLENN

DALE (Wandering Jew)

<message edited by mayor al on Thu, 04/9/09 2:30 PM>

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                                    Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 2:47 PM (permalink)
                                                    Al,

It is useless to post pictures of Dale as a means of identifying him.  None of them look like Dale.

morganen

• Location: Los Angeles, CA
                                                      Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 4:49 PM (permalink)
                                                      Haha, great. Even though I'll be able to recognize some people now, I still might get the urge to yell "ROADFOOD!"

BigGlenn

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 5:24 PM (permalink)
                                                        Let's use "Hooty Hoo" as if we were in Mayberry...... LOL I tried designing myself a Roadfood Name Badge and it looks ok. . I was
                                                        going to laminate it in and use a lanyard around my neck.  Just like Nascar...LOL I haven't givren up on that idea just yet. I will share with everyone if it comes out OK. Later.....

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 5:43 PM (permalink)

I really am sorry I won't be there, This is starting to sound like a pretty good get together.

BigGlenn

Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 Thu, 04/9/09 6:31 PM (permalink)
                                                            <message edited by BigGlenn on Thu, 04/9/09 6:48 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 150

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com