Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7836
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 10:37:34 (permalink)
nocarolina

WJ, I sure wish I could join you and the others; I haven't been to southern Cal. in almost 25 years. In fact, I would consider making the trip except for one lil' problem -  just the thought of flying turns my blood into ice water ( yup, I'm one of those! ) Kindly think of me when you're enjoying that In-N-Out burger.

Something tells me I'm not exactly going to be enjoying it nearly as much as I could enjoy a local burger right here in Rhode Island- I will keep an open mind- remember this is a research project and thankfully it's all being limited to one meal on the entire trip!

MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 10:45:22 (permalink)
Are you going to be able to go to the original Original Tommy's?

Also, I believe that I erred in not ordering the "standard" double burgers at Original Tommy's and at IN-N-OUT BURGER.  The singles distort the ratio of meat to the other ingredients.
post edited by MiamiDon - 2009/04/16 11:52:01
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 11:01:05 (permalink)
MiamiDon

Are you going to be able to go to the original Original Tommy's?

Also, I believe that I erred in not ordering the "standard" doubler burgers at Original Tommy's and at IN-N-OUT BURGER.  The singles distort the ratio of meat to the other ingredients.

Don,

Basically this is my plan- I'm driving up to LA from San Diego on Saturday Morning.
I plan to hit an old roadfood icon on the way up there- back in the  pre website days the Sterns wrote about this place in their books, but it would most likely no longer adhere to the tastes of what I call "the moral majority" . I plan to hit In and Out and the Apple Pan before the afternoon Dodgers game and Original Tommys and maybe Farmer Boys after the game.  I have a feeling "all the meat in the world" won't change the taste of the burger, but then again I have to keep an open mind. Considering that I don't have the appetite that most others have (I'm not exactly a big guy-just tall) I'm only going to have a few bites at each place.
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7906
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 11:02:40 (permalink)
Has El Pollo Loco moved out of California?

Dale, the weather here yesterday was fairly cold and windy, but it's supposed to heat up for the weekend.

Apple Pan is closed on Mondays.  Good to plan ahead.  When there have the hickory burger and banana cream pie.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 11:16:35 (permalink)
mar52

Has El Pollo Loco moved out of California?

Dale, the weather here yesterday was fairly cold and windy, but it's supposed to heat up for the weekend.

Apple Pan is closed on Mondays.  Good to plan ahead.  When there have the hickory burger and banana cream pie.

Mar,
I'll be at Apple Pan on Saturday.
Think "tapas style" on this trip- unfortunately I won't have any room for banana cream pie-remember I'm a light weight!

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10285
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 11:19:55 (permalink)
wanderingjew
unfortunately I won't have any room for banana cream pie-remember I'm a light weight!
BOO!!!!!   I say skip the burger and go straight for the pie!
post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/04/16 12:01:55
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 11:53:17 (permalink)
Don't forget to photograph and report on the Dodger Dog.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 12:10:29 (permalink)
LA Girl says Thumbs Down on Dodger Dogs!

But you have to try one.

I don't know of a Farmer Bros in the vicinity.  There is one out in Fontana off of the I10 Freeway.

With LA Burgers it's not the meat.  It's the overall experience I think.

wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 12:49:20 (permalink)
Miami Don

If I see someone eating one near me, I'll be sure to take a photo. I won't be eating at the ballparks- maybe a beer or two but thats it..

Mar 52

When it comes to burgers I'm all about the meat, same thing with hot dogs too- That's why I give credence to the heartland of our country as the "burger basket" of the nation, only evidenced by some  of the finest burgers I've ever had at Stella's and Dinker's in Omaha. I've only been to In and Out once before and that was over 20 years ago, I don't remember being impressed but it has been a long time. From the photos I've seen of the various burgers in LA they don't really look that much different than the burgers served here locally, or for that matter anywhere else I've lived,so I want to find out if they taste that much better, or if it's just "more of the same"...

If I make it to Farmer Boys, it will be the one in Sante Fe Springs
post edited by wanderingjew - 2009/04/16 12:50:36
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15278
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 12:55:36 (permalink)

Here is a location-finder for the Farmer Boys Outlets in SoCal. Boy have they expanded since I left the area.!!

www.farmerboys.com

I don't know about the current standing of El Pollo Loco. The quality control at their stands was real spotty when we visited them....Pink Chicken was pretty common when they were real busy.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 461
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 17:47:57 (permalink)
Hi All.

Hey Dale.....

What are the plans for Sunday Morning. Looks like I may be driving down Sunday morning early. You having breakfast some where or are you just going to start at Phillipes? I am actually starting to type the way I have been talking since loosing my front teeth. What a pain in the ...... mouth LOL. But I can still eat! I am planning on staying over Sunday night so if there are plans for monday and you don't mind company I am in. Let m know.....See Everyone Sunday! Big Glenn
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/16 18:09:42 (permalink)
BigGlenn

Hi All.

Hey Dale.....

What are the plans for Sunday Morning. Looks like I may be driving down Sunday morning early. You having breakfast some where or are you just going to start at Phillipes? I am actually starting to type the way I have been talking since loosing my front teeth. What a pain in the ...... mouth LOL. But I can still eat! I am planning on staying over Sunday night so if there are plans for monday and you don't mind company I am in. Let m know.....See Everyone Sunday! Big Glenn

BigGlenn

I'll be going here Sunday Morning- you're welcome to join me.

http://www.aguastijuanasjuicebar.com

Here's the itinerary for Monday- I responded back on page 3

here's the quote. Feel free to join me.

wanderingjew

BigGlenn

I am free Saturday Sunday and Monday! Please tell me where and when and I will be there. I am going all in with you people. It may be a while before we do another one..LOL I may have my adult son with me if he can get away. Please put me down for two.  Big Glenn

Big Glenn

Your progeny is more than welcome!

Hey, it would be great to hang out with you Monday too.... I'll be staying in Redondo Beach, but I'm thinking Monday would be  a perfect day for a late morning smoothie stop at....

Juices Fountain...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/juices-fountain-hollywood

Then an afternoon taco and burrito run in East LA at

Los Cincos Puntos

http://www.yelp.com/biz/los-cinco-puntos-los-angeles

and

El Tepeyec

http://www.yelp.com/biz/el-tepeyac-cafe-los-angeles

I was also thinking of checking out Pasadena that day...

and then Japanese for dinner

Daichan in Studio City

http://www.yelp.com/biz/daichan-studio-city

And again, anyone else who wants to join me next Monday at any of these stops is more than welcome..

BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/17 02:28:25 (permalink)
Brother.......You do not play around do you? I live out here and couldn't schedule a day like that. We will talk on Sunday. I am a big boy and I don't think I can keep pace with ya.......LOL But it may be fun trying.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/17 09:04:26 (permalink)
BigGlenn

Brother.......You do not play around do you? I live out here and couldn't schedule a day like that. We will talk on Sunday. I am a big boy and I don't think I can keep pace with ya.......LOL But it may be fun trying.

No I don't, however Buffetbuster and Chi Town Diner still put me to shame...
And as a "little guy" at 6'2" and only 219.5 lbs as of this morning, I'm gonna be wasting alot of food unless someone else or others are there to share...

My flight leaves in 2 1/2 hours- see you all Sunday!

mar52
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/17 10:19:35 (permalink)
Have a safe flight, Dale.  Looking forward to meeting everyone!  This is so exciting!!!
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 293
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/18 11:14:43 (permalink)
wanderingjew

Miami Don

If I see someone eating one near me, I'll be sure to take a photo. I won't be eating at the ballparks- maybe a beer or two but thats it..

Mar 52

When it comes to burgers I'm all about the meat, same thing with hot dogs too- That's why I give credence to the heartland of our country as the "burger basket" of the nation, only evidenced by some  of the finest burgers I've ever had at Stella's and Dinker's in Omaha. I've only been to In and Out once before and that was over 20 years ago, I don't remember being impressed but it has been a long time. From the photos I've seen of the various burgers in LA they don't really look that much different than the burgers served here locally, or for that matter anywhere else I've lived,so I want to find out if they taste that much better, or if it's just "more of the same"...

If I make it to Farmer Boys, it will be the one in Sante Fe Springs

I'm an LA gal from birth, and I echo Mar52's sentiments on Dodger Dogs: don't bother.  I know plenty of people who love them, but I grew up on natural casing hot dogs from my local deli -- those have flavor.  Dodger dogs remind me of bland bologna.  I suppose any tube meat can be tolerated with enough mustard, but what's the point?

I've also expressed my opinion of In'N'Out multiple times on this site: I don't get it.  They're edible, but not anything special.  Why so many people go ga-ga over them is beyond me.  For fast-food-style burgers I much prefer FatBurger, a local chain that started in LA.   For upscale burgers (don't y'all start attacking me, now) I'm a big fan of both The Counter and Father's Office.

Anyway, it'll be fun to "discuss" these weighty topics face-to-face tomorrow.  See you then!
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/18 11:33:40 (permalink)
catosaurus:

In the words of Humphrey Bogart, "A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz."  (Well, at least for we baseball fans...)

I had gotten the impression from what I had read somewhere that it was something special, and so I was disappointed that my schedule prevented me from attending a game and trying one.  From what you and Mar52 say, it wasn't much of a loss!

BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/18 18:06:01 (permalink)
By this time tomorrow we will have all met up at Philippes. Thing's keep popping up in an attempt to keep me from being there. I am on Staycation with no other plans but to be there tomorrow. I have turned off my phone, I will not check my mail box and will not check any further e-mails. I am unreachable from this moment on! I will check this thread though....LOL See Ya'll tomorrow Be Safe Everyone! Big Glenn
post edited by BigGlenn - 2009/04/18 20:57:13
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/18 22:10:43 (permalink)
MiamiDon

catosaurus:

In the words of Humphrey Bogart, "A hot dog at the ball park is better than steak at the Ritz."  (Well, at least for we baseball fans...)

I had gotten the impression from what I had read somewhere that it was something special, and so I was disappointed that my schedule prevented me from attending a game and trying one.  From what you and Mar52 say, it wasn't much of a loss!

I love baseball, love my Dodgers, and love Dodger Stadium,  but I sure wish we had better food there.  We've got a lot of good local food, so it's almost unforgivable that the selection at the stadium is as bad -- and as expensive -- as it is.  I think there must be some quirk about the way in which concessions are licensed that excludes the smaller local resources from getting in.  What we end up with is Pizza Hut, and other generic mediocrity.  (I must have eaten something sour for dinner to make me sound this uncharacteristically bitter.)
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/18 22:13:56 (permalink)
Exactly!  Even the peanuts aren't as good as when I was a kid.

Used to love those double bags.
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/19 10:58:36 (permalink)
I am a lifelong baseball fan, I played semi-pro baseball every summer untill I was about 33, did my share of traveling playing hardball across the nation as well. My uncle played in the latter stage of the Negro leagues after WW2. As a Pasadenan who has known  the Robinson family since I was a child in the 1950s you would think I would be Dodger fan, but I have been a Giants fan since 1956 because of Willie Mays, then when they moved to San Fran it got better with McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal etc   My dad took me to my first baseball game at the L A Colliseum, the Dodgers fist home before the O'Malley's ripped of the poor home owners and residents of Chavez Ravine to build Dodger Stadium on the hill above Downtown L A.

The first 2 years of Dodger Stadium has still left me with a dry-bad tase in my mouth, they only had one drinking fountain area, way out in the bleachers behind center field-the idea being, no water, more concession sodas sales and more profit. The protest was so bad that old man O'Malley finally conceeded and placed drinking fountains around the entire stadium

Farmer John-Dodger hot dogs have always been better at home than at the ball yard
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/19 12:38:52 (permalink)
Jonjax...

THE MEETING IS TODAY!

You still have time to have a French Dip with us.

I remember the story of Dodger Stadium being that there wasn't even one drinking faucet when it was completed... that they just forgot them.

Speaking of baseball of which I'm just a once in awhile watcher... my cousin's father in law was Ernie Orsatti who played for the Cardinals during the 1934 World Series.

She has his ring.  He died before she married his son.
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/19 12:39:54 (permalink)
Have to go get ready now.  Have to walk the doggies and find my camera.

I'm going to meet all of you today!!!
morganen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/19 19:50:09 (permalink)
Hi everyone. It was really great eating and greeting with all of you today. I'm making this post for Dale (wanderingjew) as he doesn't have internet access at the moment. We seemed to have lost some people on our way from the restaurant to Olvera St. He just wanted everyone to know he will still be at Park's Barbecue at six o'clock tonight. You can search his previous posts for more info or go here http://www.parksbbq.com/ for directions.
sop that
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/19 21:34:43 (permalink)
It was great to meet all of you today!  We must have another get together in 2009.  Dale, thanks for pulling this together.

Dale we will be in NJ in 2009, I will let you know when so we can do a roadfood tour in your neck of the woods.
Glenn and Jeff, we need to do some BBQ!
mar52
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/19 23:41:18 (permalink)
What a great time I had!  It's so nice meeting everyone.

Catasaurus and I drove over to Olvera Street and couldn't find anyone.  We walked back and forth a couple of times and the heat go to us.  It's not supposed to be in the 90's in April!  (Or ever if I had my way)

I met up with Wanderingjew and we had the most incredible Korean dinner.

Pictures to follow.  Have to watch Amazing Race now!
catosaurus
Cheeseburger
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/19 23:42:15 (permalink)
Marlene and I were two of the folks that somehow got separated from the group.  We moved Marlene's car, and then headed over to Olvera St. (Cielito Lindo) for taquitos.  We looked all over for the rest of y'all, walking up and down the stalls, but couldn't find you.  Finally, we each grabbed a single taquito (she took photos), and then I walked the 1.25 miles back to my car (in the 90+ degree heat ... it was a scorcher today).  Marlene was planning on meeting Wanderer and the rest at Park's at 6pm; I couldn't stay.

It was a blast meeting you all, and I hope we can get together at least one more time this year.  I heard some suggestions for a BBQ tour or a hot dog tour.  We may have some "challlenges" coordinating schedules, but I'd like to try.

Thanks, again, Dale, for pulling this together.
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2880
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/20 02:15:44 (permalink)
Mea culpa! Mea culpa! I'm sorry I was so late. Thanks Dale, for rocking out dips for us anyways. It was all a secret plan not to wait in line!!! Mwahh haahaaa... really, it was nice meeting everyone, and seeing old pals again!!! Especially nice to meet Mar, who always says such nice things on the posts.
BigGlenn
Cheeseburger
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/20 02:25:52 (permalink)
Been visiting with family in Long Beach all afternoon and evening. I just logged on from the Hotel. I too had a great time. Nice meeting everyone. Looking forward to Monday nights get together. See Ya'll there. Be Safe Everyone.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
Re:Southern California Meet n Greet Philippe 4/19/09 2009/04/20 11:50:37 (permalink)
From the hotel computer in Redondo Beach-

I had a blast - I enjoyed meeting up with all of you

Sop That-
please let me know when you're up  in my neck of the woods-

Morgan
Thanks so much for posting the "heads up post" see you tonight at Daichan

Catosaurus-
I didn't have the chance to say goodbye due to our group separation- it was great meeting you.

For those meeting tonight- looking forward to seeing you all at Daichan in studio city @ 6pm- 4 1/2 out of 5 stars on yelp with 88 reviews!

[link=http://www.yelp.com/biz/daichan-studio-city]www.yelp.com/biz/daichan-studio-city
[/link]

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1