Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware)

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2010/12/11 19:34:25 (permalink)

Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware)

We spent Thanksgiving in a lovely home we rented on the shore in Lewes Delaware (took ferry over from Cape May, NJ). I found out there is much Delaware Food! 
We of course had Bay Seasoning on our foods, (tho we were on Delaware Bay, not Chesapeake), found a number of restaurants offering Lobster Specials (not knowing Delaware grows lobsters   : ), then of course, chicken, chicken, chicken (I believe Sussex County, DE is the prime chicken-growing county in USA), went out to Rehoboth for a Christmas Tree Lighting ceremeony, replete with cotton candy, salt-water taffy, frence fries, all from the boardwalk next to Xmas tree). We found some great seafood shops with all sorts of homemade fish chowders, crab soups, etc, served right from tureen, a few grocery shops in Lewes had lots of PADutch foods (scrapple, pepper slaw, red beet eggs, etc), then there's Peppers a top-notch hot sauce shop - claims to have over 2000 varieties. We went to a small farmer's market and had all sorts of great treats: home made spices, beach plum jam, spiced cranberry jam, even - I can't believe it - "Thanksgiving Pizza" (pizza with turkey, stuffing and cranberry sauce!)!

13 Replies Related Threads

Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/11 20:43:09 (permalink)
    Sounds like you had a great  Yhanksgiving  getaway.   However,  that  Thanksgiving pizza  does not sound good at all to me.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/12 09:00:40 (permalink)
    Sounds like a wonderful trip but I think I'll skip that pizza too!
    DirtDude
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 161
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/12 09:39:52 (permalink)
    I have to do some work up in that area sometimes, got any names of seafood restaurants you liked the best?
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/12 10:09:22 (permalink)
    The Big Fish Grill,Rt 1 in Rehoboth,has top notch seafood.Not a lot of atmosphere (its kind of like a big barn) but the wide selection and always fresh product keeps the place packed.

mcatpeery
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/12 17:52:06 (permalink)
    We lived in Lewes, DE for 5 years & were very surprised at the level of good food we found there. Seafood of course, but also very good roadfood. The Georgia House Restaurant in Millsboro is fantastic, they have the strangest, most delicious meat loaf I have ever tried, plus that strange southern DE specialty, Pretzel Salad. Serendipity in Oak Orchard has fantastic wings, plus excellent seafood specials. For upscale dining, IMHO nothing beats The Buttery in downtown Lewes. While there are other fine dining type restaurants around that are delicious (Just in Thyme & Nage are some standouts), The Buttery has one of my favorite menus ever. Southern DE also has surprisingly good BBQ & fried chicken, excellent Japanese & Thai, & even a Peruvian Chicken joint. While I love living up in the mountains now (we're in North-central PA), I sure do miss the food!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/12 20:08:15 (permalink)
    Whatever is Pretzel Salad?? I love pretzels.
    (I did have Bay Seasoning Pretzels when I was there, tho)
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/12 20:13:03 (permalink)
    I had fun at Lewes Fishhouse on Rt.1
    http://www.lewesfishhouse.com/
    It is more a fresh fish market than a restaurant, but they have good take out, such as homemade crab soup. The day I visited  there was a $14 special - fresh lobster (they get it right out back and plunk it right into the water) fresh large shrimps in shell (about 1 dz) and homemade coleslaw. They also have lots of takehome sauces and rubs for fish, and great T-shirts with fish on front & back.
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/12 23:11:52 (permalink)
      I don't know for sure if Pretzel Salad is unique to Sussex County Delaware or not,but its the only place I've ever seen it.Its pretzels topped with creamcheese topped with red Jell-o.Definitely not my bag but it is certainly popular.The Georgia House is a real treasure.If you're looking for snooty continental trained waiters with crumb dusters and fresh silverware with every course and a sommelier,then don't go there.If you like solid food and no pretense (the kitchen is wide open) and friendly staff then go there.They have like 5 stores in Sussex County now.Good Place.

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/13 01:51:04 (permalink)
    Where do you get said salad? Is it for sale in stores? Restaurants? Or a home-made pot-lucky-type-thing? Sure sounds "different."
    speechpeach
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/13 07:05:45 (permalink)
    My mother made a strawberry salad that contained strawberry jello and strawberries with a layer of cream cheese between the two layers of strawberry/jello mixture. I have also eaten said salad  where the jello/strawberry/cream cheese rested on a layer of pretzel crust, although have never made the salad myself. Maybe that is what pretzel salad is in Delaware, or something similar?
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/13 09:03:46 (permalink)
    Billfish

I don't know for sure if Pretzel Salad is unique to Sussex County Delaware or not,but its the only place I've ever seen it.Its pretzels topped with creamcheese topped with red Jell-o.Definitely not my bag but it is certainly popular.The Georgia House is a real treasure.If you're looking for snooty continental trained waiters with crumb dusters and fresh silverware with every course and a sommelier,then don't go there.If you like solid food and no pretense (the kitchen is wide open) and friendly staff then go there.They have like 5 stores in Sussex County now.Good Place.

I've had Pretzel salad at many a family gathering in Illinois, same as you describe.
    Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/13 12:01:56 (permalink)
      Yes to what Speechpeach spoke.I really didn't think it was unique to Sussex County.I am sure people make it at home and at a limited number of restaurants,but probably in several isolated areas around the country.Like I said,I wouldn't really get off the expressway for some.

kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 684
    Re:Southern Delaware roadfood (yes, Delaware) 2010/12/14 09:17:12 (permalink)
    I always enjoy our biannual trips to the Delaware shore.  Dogfish Head beer.  Gus and Gus chicken.  Fractured Prune hand-dipped donuts.  Cultured Pearl sushi. The Buttery.  Oby Lee coffee.
    I'm familiar with pretzel salad (I lived many years in Delaware...) but dislike the stuff.
    Obligatory food picture (Gus + Gus):

post edited by kaszeta - 2010/12/14 09:18:20
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1