The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Southern Foodways Alliance

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
Southern Foodways Alliance Fri, 05/9/08 10:07 AM (permalink)
Happened to hear this website mentioned on the Food Network last night. There's some interesting videos for streaming, most of which are about BBQ so I'll post this here.

http://www.southernfoodways.com/films.shtml

I assume it's OK to post this even though it's a dot.com and not a dot.org, but if not, I guess it will be deleted. I have no involvement, financial or otherwise (although I may order a TShirt or something...)

Sundancer7

RE: Southern Foodways Alliance Fri, 05/9/08 12:38 PM (permalink)
    You will probably enjoy this thread that was done better than four years ago by the Mayor, Poverty Pete, Pogophiles and myself. We did several BBQ places that was suggested by your website. There are many pages on this thread but it is good reading and I was glad to re-read after four years. I believe there are several pics on this thread that will show you some of the crafted BBQ that is available in this area. We ate way too much BBQ.

Most all of it is whole hog, hickory smoked and very good. The worst we had was very good.

One of our posters, Fred Sauceman out of Johnson City,TN is a regular attendee to their meetings.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2343&whichpage=1

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
      RE: Southern Foodways Alliance Fri, 05/9/08 3:26 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the link, I just spent a good 1/2 hour on a rainy Friday in NJ reading thru it all. We may have some great hot dogs and pizza here, but I'd guess we are in the bottom 5 in the USA in good BBQ so it's nice to be able to travel via laptop. ---Ken

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Southern Foodways Alliance Fri, 05/9/08 3:50 PM (permalink)
        Ken,
        We really had quite a day that first roadfood BBQ chase in Western Tennessee. In addition to thr guys Paul listed, Bushie came up from Austin,TX to surprise the goup and Jimin KY was there too. We followed the list in the SFA interview notes. This is how we found and adopted Hayes Smokehouse in Lexington TN as our "center of the BBQ Universe" location. I was crushed when Dennis Hayes retired and sold the business!

I don't think anyone who was there that first year will ever forget meeting "Larry, Darryl, & Darryl" at the My Three Son's BBQ! I remember Paul using handiwipes for miles after leaving what could best be described as a very primitive and less than clean BBQ Stand

SFA has investigated several other great food areas, I recommend their reports to anyone interested in the "Real Story" of Southern food! Fred Sauceman is a very knowledgable writer who has published several coffee-table quality books on topics related to his activities in the SFA.

Sundancer7

RE: Southern Foodways Alliance Fri, 05/9/08 4:26 PM (permalink)
          As usual, Al is spot on. I am sorry I left out Bushie and Jim In KY. Jim was a very unusual person. My three sons BBQ was PFO and I sorta left it out as it did not meet our standards. The next stop we made turned out to be a very good stop with some very unusal circumstances. I believe that individual bought Hayes in Lexington???

Paul E. Smith
          knoxville, TN

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com