The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

"Southern Roadfood Wisdom"

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35
enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
RE: "Southern Roadfood Wisdom" Wed, 05/24/06 8:24 PM (permalink)
The book is equally as interesting, and goes into much more detail that the series
BT. Usually available on Amazon used for pretty good prices.

CETURTL

• Total Posts: 77
    RE: "Southern Roadfood Wisdom" Fri, 05/26/06 11:17 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mbrookes

I really have to take exception to some of this. I have lived in Mississippi("The Most Southern Place on Earth") for over half a century and some of what you are attributing to southern is actually redneck and under-educated. Many of our word usagees are a bit strange (fixin' to, over yonder, Coke, sweet milk, to name a very few) but the mispronounciations (Terbaccy, maters, taters ) are generally Yankee inventions. I don't know anyone who talks like that.

There is no need to take exception. The examples are "actual" examples of words as they were stated. I lived in the North Georgia Mountains for several years working as a nurse. These phrases were used by most, in spite of education. Many of the people I worked with were college educated. I believe it is a cultural difference that many are very proud, and choose to continue using. None of these mispronunciations were "Yankee invented". I don't believe how "far south" is the determining factor. There are many areas that are fairly isolated that have very strong local dialects, as in the mountains and barrier islands. I also found the farm areas of central Indiana to be an excellent example.

Hillbilly

• Total Posts: 992
      RE: "Southern Roadfood Wisdom" Fri, 05/26/06 1:55 PM (permalink)
      Ceturtl, you're right about these terms being more hillbilly than southern. There is also a lot of cultural heritage pride and unusual language variation in Cajun country. I tell my Louisiana friends that the cajuns and we Appalachian hillbillies approach life in the same way: we are both proud of our heritage to a fault even when others think that we're ignorant (while we know that we are in fact superior) and that both cultures are very carpe diem. We both exhibit our love of personal freedoms by raising hell and having a good time, but the Catholic cajuns don't feel any guilt while the primative Baptist hillbillies are full of guilt.

MBROOKES, I'll bet that Sam heard a lot more of this kind of language during the time he spent in Franklin County, NC than he has heard in Mississippi.

Pat T Hat

• Total Posts: 968
        RE: "Southern Roadfood Wisdom" Fri, 05/26/06 3:09 PM (permalink)
        Your right about Indiana Ceturtl I lived in southern Indiana for a few years. They do have a few "ism's" of their own. They seem to want to be condidered southerner's. I call 'em Hoo-Billy's!

BhamBabe

• Total Posts: 879
          RE: "Southern Roadfood Wisdom" Fri, 05/26/06 4:30 PM (permalink)
          lol Pat, good term! I've run into a bunch of those boarder folks myself.

I'm college educated, travel all over and refuse to let how others think of me determine how I speak. One side of my family comes from the hills (Sand Mountain, Alabama) The other from the Delta via Scotland. I love the southern voice and our little idioms. I sound about as hick as you can get and don't ever want that part of me to leave. If others choose to think I'm stupid because of a speech pattern, well ya know what they say about assuming right? And I think it's a right fair shame that we'd let others determine our self worth just because we don't all sound the same.

I'd give anything in the world to hear my granny's soft drawl wafting on the breeze on a hot evening one more time.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com