Southfield, MI

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
RE: Southfield, MI 2008/02/04 16:51:31 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by KOK

Is the Balloon Saloon still in Southfield? Had a upside-down canoe on the ceiling. Good bar food. I was there last in 1987 (geezer alert!)

Kevin

Yup, Balloon is still there. But now it's north of 12 on Northwestern rather than South of 12. It's in a stip mall kinda between Franklin Rd. and Cronin's party store.
In that old location it was a colorful place. I recall the owner "Big Al" sittin at the bar as a very old man packin his .45 ACP pistol. I've only been in the new location once and that was a few years ago to pick someone up. I ought to stop in again one of these days when I'm out that way for a cold one.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
RE: Southfield, MI 2008/02/04 17:12:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by unstoppabel

Was the Excalibur doomed because of drunken Lion coaches?

Nah. But let me tall ya, Gary Moeller is an absolutely blistering jerk. I remember when that happened ... and though I wasn't there that that day, I heard all about it. He's truly lucky he didn't end up with his legs broken and at the bottom of the Detroit River. Some of the characters that used to hang out there in the old days (well before the Moeller incident) could cause you serious problems if you got outta line.

Excalibur eventually closed because its clientele were just passing on (natural causes of course), and the younger demographic just wasn't into it.
There became fewer and fewer people interested in listening to the Billy Rose band play Sinatra and slow dancing with the missus, sitting down to a porterhouse or one of their $7-at-the-bar whole lobsters and having a couple of double scotches while watching the goldfish swimmin in the vases of bird of paradise flowers. Ya had to get dressed up nicely and act like a gentleman. Seems most people are more interested in more casual dining, more current music, and menu items a bit more to the chicken salad with green grapes side of the spectrum now.
unstoppabel
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
RE: Southfield, MI 2008/02/07 05:58:10 (permalink)
I wnet to Moeller's first high school coaching clinic at UofM and I will agree with the blistering comment. He yelled at coaches for not paying attention, freaked out when people where tape recording.(Which Bo never had a problem with) Moeller was worried that "we might be spies for Michigan State" Total jerk.

I went to Jaws on Orchard Lake. Nice little joint with movies playing on big screens. Liked the burgers on buttered buns. The chicken and fish were OK. Menu is simple. Burgers, Chicken sandwiches, Fish and chips or fish sandwiches. Fries, shakes, pop and homemade lemonade. Cash only. $3 -5 bucks per item. I got 4 sandwiches 1 frie and a shake for $23. I will go again for the burgers.

Cheeburger cheeburger is good on Haggarty Rd in Northville. Burgers, chicken sandwiches, salads fries rings and about every flavor of shake knwn to man. Overproced, but good

Culvers on Newburg and Wayne by Meijer's is a really good fast food burger. They use fresh meat and cook it as you order and bring it to your table. Butterburgers are good
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1