Southfield, MI

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rainsux
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 68
  • Joined: 2003/12/04 18:56:00
  • Location: Detroit, MI, MI
  • Status: offline
2006/12/26 17:51:06 (permalink)

Southfield, MI


Jaws Burgers; SE corner of Telegraph & Nine Mile. Seating is limited
to ~10 people. Carry-out business was bustling.

Great (ground chuck) burgers and chicken (breast) sandwiches. Fresh
buns. They also do classic milkshakes. Everything is made to order;
so the food will take 6-8 minutes to prepare. Only side dish
available is french fries - I was pleasantly surprised. I prefer
no-salt fries ... and got exactly that, without fuss.

-doug
#1

32 Replies Related Threads

    heavy liquid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    • Joined: 2007/01/23 08:56:00
    • Location: Farmington, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/01/23 10:25:56 (permalink)
    I noticed that there is a Jaws Burgers at the SE corner of Orchard Lake and 13 Mile road. Haven't been there, though. Not even sure if it's open yet. I'll have to check it out.
    #2
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6767
    • Joined: 2003/03/22 23:42:00
    • Location: Gahanna, OH
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/01/23 10:52:28 (permalink)
    Unfortunately Southfield lost a great restaurant, Golden Mushroom. The chef, Milos Cihelka was a Master Chef and one of the first (if not THE first) in the US. His cuisine was exquisite.
    #3
    heavy liquid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    • Joined: 2007/01/23 08:56:00
    • Location: Farmington, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/01/23 13:01:29 (permalink)
    It makes me sad that I've never been to the Golden Mushroom. Hard to believe that it's already been 4 or 5 years now.

    I stopped by the Jaws Burger place on Orchard Lake, and they have a sign saying that they open January 29th.
    #4
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    • Joined: 2006/02/13 15:21:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/01/23 15:45:45 (permalink)
    One of my younger brothers worked at the Golden Mushroom (as a server) but did manage to get Chef Milos' Golden Mushroom Soup recipe.

    (btw: leechef, Yup, Chef Milos was in the first graduating class (of 4 or 5) who obtained the first Certified Master Chef designation. I think he still lives in the area ... Bloomfield Twp I think)

    So many good places in the area are gone. I used to really like the seafood place "Dennison's" at 12/Orchard Lake. Great mussels.

    I'm really looking forward to checking out the new "Pi Restaurant" which is where Excalibur used to be over on Franklin Rd at Northwestern hwy.

    #5
    heavy liquid
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 27
    • Joined: 2007/01/23 08:56:00
    • Location: Farmington, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/01/24 13:12:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sonny Funzio



    I'm really looking forward to checking out the new "Pi Restaurant" which is where Excalibur used to be over on Franklin Rd at Northwestern hwy.




    My brother was the Executive Chef at Excalibur, coincidentally (Marlan Smith). He's since worked at a few other places including Agave, which was downtown and is also now closed, unfortunately, due to a landlord dispute. The owner wants to re-open, but it's already been at least a year, I think. So who knows.

    I just received a 25% off card for Pi. Have you heard any reviews, yet? They bill themselves as having "Eclectic European Cuisine". They apparently have a 40 copper bar and serve 60 different European beers and wine. It also says they have a cigar/martini lounge and make a brick oven baked thin crust pizza. Interesting.
    #6
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    • Joined: 2006/02/13 15:21:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/01/24 16:24:17 (permalink)
    Yes, *very* interesting, heavy liquid.
    No, I've not heard any reviews yet, however they've only been open since last week (Monday the 15th) ... they do have a website (piofsouthfield.com) but it's not up completely yet, though the couple pages that are up seems to give a bit of the flavor.
    http://pirest.sharpturnproductions.com/ and a press page ... http://press.piofsouthfield.com/
    Note the pages are very flash intensive though (probably part of the problem)... should have a fast connection and fast computer to view them.

    Tres cool that your brother was the EC at Excalibur. Back then it was my main hangout along with Manuels and a few other spots, occasionally Modesta, and occasionally places uptown (Got Rocks, Forte etc).

    John Golimatis, the ex-Excalibur GM is the manager at Pi.
    I was talking with him on the phone just before they opened and he was sayin that they kept the copper bar (sans the giant vases of Bird of Paradise flowers with goldfish swimming in them), and the interior isn't that beautiful lacquered wood and etched glass Italian art deco motif that they had, but he says it looks quite nice.

    Unfortunately, I'm not in the area any more - I live on "the Island" in the Detroit River (no not Zug) ... trying to sell, bad market, what was I thinking.
    Looking forward to getting back up there.

    I went online the other day trying to figure out if the Billy Rose Quartet (Excaliburs old house band) was around performing anywhere, but it doesn't appear they are still playing (couldn't find whether Jim Paravantes, the Sinatra singer, is performing anywhere either). I've got some associates coming in from out of town next week and was lookin for somewheres to go.

    Maybe I'll head up that way ... got to see how much time we'll have.



    #7
    Rapunzll
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 314
    • Joined: 2000/08/22 08:19:00
    • Location: Greenville SC
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/01/24 16:48:45 (permalink)
    My folks live near nine and middlebelt. I'll have to check this out next time I'm down there.
    #8
    jpalm
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    • Joined: 2002/12/26 23:01:00
    • Location: Pensacola, FL
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/05/15 21:15:47 (permalink)
    Thanks to the heads up on this forum we were traveling through Southfield Michigan and stopped at JAWS for a Jumbo Burger and it was great.
    1 Jumbo burger loaded with a large fries and 24 oz drink $5.95.
    There new location is 29216 Orchard Lake rd, between 12 & 13 mile roads on the east side of the street (Right next to Sahara restaurant) has seating for 45 and they have two big screen TV's with movies playing. Also a live shark tank with about 8 sharks.
    #9
    Bluntfacts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    • Joined: 2006/12/14 18:51:00
    • Location: Las Vegas, NV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/05/27 10:47:13 (permalink)
    Some great names from the past. When I lived in Michigan, I worked in Southfield in the late 1980s. Golden Mushroom once a week (loved the Dover Sole). Excalibur once a week.

    But for a great burger, I used to go to McVies. It was a bar-tavern sort of place that did a huge lunch business. I seem to recall it was on the E side of Telegraph. Anyone know if it was still there?

    Charles
    Las Vegas, NV

    #10
    Ouisch
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    • Joined: 2004/06/02 23:33:00
    • Location: Birmingham, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/07/13 23:50:37 (permalink)
    Mmmmm, gotta try the Jaws burger, sounds delicious!

    I used to go to the Golden Mushroom on special occasions (my boss loved that place, and took us there for business lunches). Their lobster bisque was soooo wonderful. Excaliber was wonderful, too, but how sad is it that my main memory of it was the toilet seats encased in Saran Wrap?

    Is McVee's really that good? I used to work near there, and a co-worker of mine went there almost every day for lunch, but he basically drank his lunch and couldn't really tell me anything about the food.
    #11
    Bluntfacts
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 78
    • Joined: 2006/12/14 18:51:00
    • Location: Las Vegas, NV
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/07/25 00:59:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ouisch

    Is McVee's really that good? I used to work near there, and a co-worker of mine went there almost every day for lunch, but he basically drank his lunch and couldn't really tell me anything about the food.


    Your former co-worker may very well have sat next to my friend that also went there every day for lunch. He still does. My experiences are based on once a week visits some 15 to 20 years ago. But, given the economy in Michigan that seems to constantly be in the news, any place that is still around must be doing something right.
    #12
    Quartz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    • Joined: 2007/08/18 18:44:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/08/19 11:16:14 (permalink)
    This may be a bit off-topic, but Metro Detroit is Finally getting it's first FatBruger, on Telegraph and 11 Mile as a matter of fact. It's being built as I type.

    Our Metro Area sucks when it comes to getting decent Food Fast (unless you Carry-Out or Dine-In).
    #13
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    • Joined: 2006/02/13 15:21:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/08/19 12:09:15 (permalink)
    Decent fast food? ... one of those phrases like "jumbo shrimp" ... "semi-boneless" ... "dining hall food" ... and "fresh from concentrate"

    Thanx for the heads up on the Fat Burger.

    So do I understand that is off the service drive that is next to Tel-12 mall?

    #14
    Quartz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    • Joined: 2007/08/18 18:44:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/08/19 19:49:57 (permalink)
    Yeah, the "Jumbo Shrimp" places are popular around here. I hate having to choose between BK, White Castle and McD everytime I want some burgers.
    #15
    Quartz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    • Joined: 2007/08/18 18:44:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/08/19 19:55:52 (permalink)
    Oh yeah, the Franchise owner is Jerome Barney, an Attorney who works in Downtown Detroit.

    He claims he wants Metro Detroit to have a FF restaurant that is one step above McD, BK, Wendy's and White Castle.
    #16
    Godfather JAM
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Joined: 2007/09/08 22:58:00
    • Location: Howell, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/09/08 23:01:09 (permalink)
    Yes McVies is still there.
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bluntfacts

    Some great names from the past. When I lived in Michigan, I worked in Southfield in the late 1980s. Golden Mushroom once a week (loved the Dover Sole). Excalibur once a week.

    But for a great burger, I used to go to McVies. It was a bar-tavern sort of place that did a huge lunch business. I seem to recall it was on the E side of Telegraph. Anyone know if it was still there?

    Charles
    Las Vegas, NV


    #17
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    • Joined: 2006/02/13 15:21:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2007/09/09 14:07:13 (permalink)
    Like I mentioned in my post above, I'd been trying to find out where the old Excalibur house band, the Billy Rose Quartet has been hidin out. Apparently, they've been playing at ...

    (moved this post to the "Where should I eat thread" ... as they ain't playin at no hamburger joints ;-)
    http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22181 )





    #18
    N8IWS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Joined: 2007/08/06 09:03:00
    • Location: Inkster, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/01/12 23:10:37 (permalink)
    Originally posted by rainsux


    Jaws Burgers; SE corner of Telegraph & Nine Mile. Seating is limited
    to ~10 people. Carry-out business was bustling.

    Great (ground chuck) burgers and chicken (breast) sandwiches. Fresh
    buns. They also do classic milkshakes. Everything is made to order;
    so the food will take 6-8 minutes to prepare. Only side dish
    available is french fries - I was pleasantly surprised. I prefer
    no-salt fries ... and got exactly that, without fuss.


    Well, they didn't make it. I was impressed, but a poor location, hard to find and park when you found a spot. That is the type of burger joint I would like to open, but how? Locations in the area are impossible to locate where you have some frontage for signs, overpriced. I would add a Chicago Coney to the menu, LOVE THEM !!

    On the Level, By the Square,

    Dale
    a traveling man ...
    #19
    thediningroom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    • Joined: 2007/12/07 13:10:00
    • Location: Westland, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/01/12 23:24:04 (permalink)
    Jaws is great, they use to serve ribs too when they 1st opened, I hope the Orchard Lake locations serves ribs, their fish and chips are great also, along with their milkshakes, I use to stay at an hotel near Jaws on Telegraph and ate there at least 2 times per week. Now I work near the Orchard Lake location and will be visiting it, thanks for the info, I didn't know they were opening there. Probably will close the Southfield location due to the slum that Southfield has become in the last few years.
    #20
    N8IWS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Joined: 2007/08/06 09:03:00
    • Location: Inkster, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/01/13 00:05:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by thediningroom

    Jaws is great, they use to serve ribs too when they 1st opened, I hope the Orchard Lake locations serves ribs, their fish and chips are great also, along with their milkshakes, I use to stay at an hotel near Jaws on Telegraph and ate there at least 2 times per week. Now I work near the Orchard Lake location and will be visiting it, thanks for the info, I didn't know they were opening there. Probably will close the Southfield location due to the slum that Southfield has become in the last few years.

    My sister in law found this place while she was going under chemo and sent her husband there. Then I went there, loved it. She told me today that it's gone. Perhaps the owners moved to the other place. It's what I like, simple, short menu, cooked to order. When my Lodge relocated to the Lincoln Park Masonic Temple, they have my kinda stove, 6 burners, a 3 x 3 griddle, double oven. I spent about two good hours cleaning it and getting it prepared for our first meeting and a quick meal afterwards. I helped our Junior Warden at that time with cooking. We did burgers on that griddle, I took some of the onions, grilled them, that familar smell filled the lower level of the temple. It brouht back memories to everyone. Felt like I was back in High School, cooked at Bill Knapp's in Dearborn, before that I was training for two years at the Chamberton kitchen where the old Holiday Inn on Michigan Ave was. But alas, a career in the resturant business never came. Now I'm out of work, this looks more appealing to me now.

    Dale
    #21
    thediningroom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 84
    • Joined: 2007/12/07 13:10:00
    • Location: Westland, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/01/14 23:34:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Quartz

    This may be a bit off-topic, but Metro Detroit is Finally getting it's first FatBruger, on Telegraph and 11 Mile as a matter of fact. It's being built as I type.

    Our Metro Area sucks when it comes to getting decent Food Fast (unless you Carry-Out or Dine-In).


    Why isn't this open yet? you said it was being built as you typed(5 months ago), I was in the area specificly to try a fat burger and it was no where to be found? Please advise?
    #22
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    • Joined: 2006/04/26 10:49:00
    • Location: Westminster, MD
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/01/16 13:49:53 (permalink)
    Is the Balloon Saloon still in Southfield? Had a upside-down canoe on the ceiling. Good bar food. I was there last in 1987 (geezer alert!)

    Kevin
    #23
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
    • Location: Xenia
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/01/16 14:12:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    Unfortunately Southfield lost a great restaurant, Golden Mushroom. The chef, Milos Cihelka was a Master Chef and one of the first (if not THE first) in the US. His cuisine was exquisite.


    The Golden Mushroom was a great restaurant, so was Th London Chop House. But Michigans finest restaurant has outlasted them all The Lark in Westbloomfield. Still packed every night. The owner is getting older now so if you ever get in the area make sure you make a reservation. Expensive but well worth the price.....Russ
    #24
    N8IWS
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    • Joined: 2007/08/06 09:03:00
    • Location: Inkster, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/01/16 16:04:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    Unfortunately Southfield lost a great restaurant, Golden Mushroom. The chef, Milos Cihelka was a Master Chef and one of the first (if not THE first) in the US. His cuisine was exquisite.


    The Golden Mushroom was a great restaurant, so was Th London Chop House. But Michigans finest restaurant has outlasted them all The Lark in Westbloomfield. Still packed every night. The owner is getting older now so if you ever get in the area make sure you make a reservation. Expensive but well worth the price.....Russ


    My nephew works at the Lark, what they charge for food there, you would think they pay their staff well, NOT ! If you enjoy the meals, thank the cooking staff, they do the work!
    #25
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
    • Location: Xenia
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/01/16 16:18:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by N8IWS

    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    Unfortunately Southfield lost a great restaurant, Golden Mushroom. The chef, Milos Cihelka was a Master Chef and one of the first (if not THE first) in the US. His cuisine was exquisite.


    The Golden Mushroom was a great restaurant, so was Th London Chop House. But Michigans finest restaurant has outlasted them all The Lark in Westbloomfield. Still packed every night. The owner is getting older now so if you ever get in the area make sure you make a reservation. Expensive but well worth the price.....Russ


    My nephew works at the Lark, what they charge for food there, you would think they pay their staff well, NOT ! If you enjoy the meals, thank the cooking staff, they do the work!



    Working there has got to be the chance of a lifetime. If he pays attention and learns as much as possible there is no telling where he can go. If I was young I would work there for nothing but the knowledge and the table scraps....Russ
    #26
    unstoppabel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    • Joined: 2008/02/03 08:36:00
    • Location: Farmington, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/02/03 08:43:30 (permalink)
    What a fun topic. A discussioin on hamburgers that involves that Lark and the golden Mushroom.

    The area has green small buger joints. Bates and Greens in Farmington. If you are into sliders with grilled onions.

    Mr. Joe's on 12 mile has great burgers and hasn't changed much since McVies bought them out.

    Was the Excalibur doomed because of drunken Lion coaches?
    #27
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    • Joined: 2007/11/28 14:42:00
    • Location: Xenia
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/02/03 09:02:41 (permalink)
    Welcome aboard unstoppabel I think you will enjoy this site....Russ
    #28
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    • Joined: 2006/02/13 15:21:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/02/04 16:15:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    Unfortunately Southfield lost a great restaurant, Golden Mushroom. The chef, Milos Cihelka was a Master Chef and one of the first (if not THE first) in the US. His cuisine was exquisite.


    The Golden Mushroom was a great restaurant, so was Th London Chop House. But Michigans finest restaurant has outlasted them all The Lark in Westbloomfield. Still packed every night. The owner is getting older now so if you ever get in the area make sure you make a reservation. Expensive but well worth the price.....Russ

    Russ, If you're ever back up that way Cafe Cortina on 10 Mile in Farmington Hls (East of Orchard Lake rd) is absolutely worth a try as well. Similar fine dining to Lark et al.
    #29
    Sonny Funzio
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 907
    • Joined: 2006/02/13 15:21:00
    • Location: Detroit, MI
    • Status: offline
    RE: Southfield, MI 2008/02/04 16:20:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

    quote:
    Originally posted by N8IWS

    quote:
    Originally posted by Russ Jackson

    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

    Unfortunately Southfield lost a great restaurant, Golden Mushroom. The chef, Milos Cihelka was a Master Chef and one of the first (if not THE first) in the US. His cuisine was exquisite.


    The Golden Mushroom was a great restaurant, so was Th London Chop House. But Michigans finest restaurant has outlasted them all The Lark in Westbloomfield. Still packed every night. The owner is getting older now so if you ever get in the area make sure you make a reservation. Expensive but well worth the price.....Russ


    My nephew works at the Lark, what they charge for food there, you would think they pay their staff well, NOT ! If you enjoy the meals, thank the cooking staff, they do the work!



    Working there has got to be the chance of a lifetime. If he pays attention and learns as much as possible there is no telling where he can go. If I was young I would work there for nothing but the knowledge and the table scraps....Russ


    That is definitely the case.
    In the mid 1970's I apprenticed under who was the preeminent French chef in the area at the time, Chef Duglass Duglass, at The Great Dane Restaurant on Northwestern Hwy.
    That reference opened doors for the rest of my cooking career. It was truly like waving a magic wand anywhere I went.

    I still even make a few of his creations for friends (though I haven't been a chef for many years).
    #30
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1