Hot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 30
Author
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 01:54:58 (permalink)
Captain Howdy
Also, your assessment of O'Charley's doesn't really surprise me.  And for the life of me, I cannot figure out this region's unabashed love of places such as that, Applebee's, TGI Friday's, and even the non-chain purveyors of bland, uninspired sports bar fare.  It's like southwestern Ohioans are allergic to food containing even a hint of flavor or originality.

Tell me where (please). I agree with what you're saying but the locals seem to drive indies out of business. We live north of Lebanon. I'd love to find some legit roadfoodish places within 1/2 hour drive, but this area is dominated by chains.

For instance, there are two decent RF type places in Lebanon: Breakfast Club and Doc's. When you get tired of those two, there's the chains.

Meadowlark sounds interesting. I suppose we should expand our radius to Centerville. I just hate driving in traffic.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 02:49:22 (permalink)
donw9876

Captain Howdy
Also, your assessment of O'Charley's doesn't really surprise me.  And for the life of me, I cannot figure out this region's unabashed love of places such as that, Applebee's, TGI Friday's, and even the non-chain purveyors of bland, uninspired sports bar fare.  It's like southwestern Ohioans are allergic to food containing even a hint of flavor or originality.

Tell me where (please). I agree with what you're saying but the locals seem to drive indies out of business. We live north of Lebanon. I'd love to find some legit roadfoodish places within 1/2 hour drive, but this area is dominated by chains.

For instance, there are two decent RF type places in Lebanon: Breakfast Club and Doc's. When you get tired of those two, there's the chains.

Meadowlark sounds interesting. I suppose we should expand our radius to Centerville. I just hate driving in traffic.

As far as the Meadowlark and traffic, I shouldn't think the traffic would be too unbearable if you just took 48 into Centerville, and then took 725 west to the Meadowlark, especially if you went during a slightly off time (of course, this being the Christmas shopping season, traffic around the Dayton Mall area will be a little heavier than usual).

And I feel your pain, vis-a-vis living in Lebanon.  We reside in the great, gasping beast known as Middletown, and outside of El Rancho Grande, A Taste of Memphis, Shaddock's, Micamonico's, and my beloved Milton's Donuts, there ain't exactly a whole lot of non-chain options.  If you don't mind driving near King's Island, this is a half-decent Mexican place I just tried (I've had better--Acapulco, Taqueria Mercado--but we will visit this place again) the other day:  http://www.vivatequilarestaurant.com/
Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 09:44:43 (permalink)
donw9876

Captain Howdy

Dayton is a Gastronomic wasteland. Chains have taken over the entire area. Applebees and Olive Garden are considered high dining. Since moving to Columbus I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I DON'T MISS DAYTON! In every catagorie Columbus beats Dayton. Disalvo's, Troni's, Slyders, Los Mixteca, and Tanks are about the only high points and I can find you better than all of them except for maybe Troni's. But the service at Troni's makes it such a pain to dine there. ...Russ
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 10:01:41 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

donw9876

Captain Howdy

Dayton is a Gastronomic wasteland. Chains have taken over the entire area. Applebees and Olive Garden are considered high dining. Since moving to Columbus I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I DON'T MISS DAYTON! In every catagorie Columbus beats Dayton. Disalvo's, Troni's, Slyders, Los Mixteca, and Tanks are about the only high points and I can find you better than all of them except for maybe Troni's. But the service at Troni's makes it such a pain to dine there. ...Russ

What has happened to their service?  I have been getting takeout pizzas for a while and have not eaten inside in some time - I always thought their service was first-rate.  They get their take out pies ready on time and I always have enjoyed their ambiance.

Russ Jackson
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 10:33:28 (permalink)
The service has always been bad. The men are very nice. Just lousy servers. You will never be asked if you would like a second beer or refill on iced tea. I always have to ask for a bill. They know me there also. I used to go there about once every 10 days. The place needs a womans touch. Blow out the wall and expand. Hire some Waitresses. Get a better quality pepperoni. Get a Hostess and there would be a line around the building...Russ
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 11:41:37 (permalink)
When we first went there a couple of years ago for the first time it was strictly family - mom and dad and the four kids - now three of the four kids are not there and they have hired from the outside and some friends of the family. 

I cannot get my lunchbunch to eat there much as they like the adventure of exploring new places - for me I would eat there every time I was in the area - now when I am around there I simply bring home take out.

I would talk to Rocky ..er I mean the dad, and owner, and tell him how you feel .. I would not just suffer meekly as you seem to be doing.  When I do not get a bill I just walk up to the cash register or flag the waiter.  Do you you eat there more for lunch or dinner?
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 12:19:54 (permalink)
I second Russ Jackson's take on Troni's service, much as I love the food.

The servers we've had haven't been rude, per se, but have been, shall we say, brusque and overly familiar (a trait not limited to just the Troni's staff; I must admit, though, that servers referring to the wife and I as "guys" is a considerable pet peeve of mine; call us "hon" or "darlin'", though, and your tip just increased). 

Now, I do, of course, realize that dining at Troni's is not the same as dining at, say, The Precinct (a lot less cleavage, for starters ), so my expectations must be in line with that.  Still, though, I've had the same issues with refills and getting the check as Mr. Jackson has had (though the waits for the check are never as long as they are at many, many area Mexican restaurants; seriously, I wonder if it's endemic to the south-of-the-border culture to wait upwards of twenty minutes plus for one's final bill?).

Nevertheless, I still do love the Troni's, and won't let the less-than-stellar service keep me from enjoying their pies.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 12:24:13 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

When we first went there a couple of years ago for the first time it was strictly family - mom and dad and the four kids - now three of the four kids are not there and they have hired from the outside and some friends of the family. 

I cannot get my lunchbunch to eat there much as they like the adventure of exploring new places - for me I would eat there every time I was in the area - now when I am around there I simply bring home take out.

I would talk to Rocky ..er I mean the dad, and owner, and tell him how you feel .. I would not just suffer meekly as you seem to be doing.  When I do not get a bill I just walk up to the cash register or flag the waiter.  Do you you eat there more for lunch or dinner?

When my compadre from Paris TN does not get his bill when he thinks he should have it he starts bellowing at the top of his lungs which usually gets someone's attention rather rapidly..

donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 12:29:49 (permalink)
Howdy, thanks for the tip on Viva Tequila. We had been wondering.

One thing I've found in travels in this state is that small town dining in Ohio is challenging - service is usually almost deliberately bad. You always have the waitresses that favor the regulars and turn their back on the visitor, etc. Almost no small diner type place is immune to taking the few customers left for granted.

In particular, with just a few exceptions, Lebanon and Middletown places almost always have really lousy service, and bad, inattentive or just plain rude service has driven several local restaurants I can think of offhand out of business (deservedly).
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 12:43:52 (permalink)
We eat all over southwest Ohio and I truly have to say I can count on less than one hand the places we have had bad service....bad food yes but not service ..of course one of my lunch partners has polio and travels with oxygen and a three wheel scooter and is kind of loud so our group is impossible to ignore...truly impossible...lol...
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5216
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 12:43:59 (permalink)
Captain Howdy

And I feel your pain, vis-a-vis living in Lebanon.  We reside in the great, gasping beast known as Middletown, and outside of El Rancho Grande, A Taste of Memphis, Shaddock's, Micamonico's, and my beloved Milton's Donuts, there ain't exactly a whole lot of non-chain options.  If you don't mind driving near King's Island, this is a half-decent Mexican place I

Depending on where in Middletown you are this might be a bit of a drive, but I've liked the food I've gotten at Adam's Rib Barbecue on US-35 on the west edge of Eaton.

Brad
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 12:45:08 (permalink)
Brad_Olson

Captain Howdy

And I feel your pain, vis-a-vis living in Lebanon.  We reside in the great, gasping beast known as Middletown, and outside of El Rancho Grande, A Taste of Memphis, Shaddock's, Micamonico's, and my beloved Milton's Donuts, there ain't exactly a whole lot of non-chain options.  If you don't mind driving near King's Island, this is a half-decent Mexican place I

Depending on where in Middletown you are this might be a bit of a drive, but I've liked the food I've gotten at Adam's Rib Barbecue on US-35 on the west edge of Eaton.

Brad
Do they offer brisket regularly?

ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 12:50:35 (permalink)
Menu board from August, 2008:

And contact information:

Brad
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/07 20:22:52 (permalink)
That $9.95 price for brisket is by the pound?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/08 09:09:02 (permalink)
No idea but that seems reasonable given that the sandwich is a little less than half that.

Brad
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/08 12:01:27 (permalink)
Thanks for the tip, Mr. Olson.  I'll have to try that very soon (weather permitting).

And donw, I'm in total agreement with you about the service in the Middletown and Lebanon areas.  I think I'm gonna have to start adopting the practices of NYPizzanut's Tennessee friend! 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/08 22:54:49 (permalink)
They never forget our visits, that is for sure.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/09 12:48:42 (permalink)
This is a photo taken outside of Mi Camino Real in Mt Orab showing most of our lunchbunch and some  of the staff of the restaurant:

This is a photo of one of our waiters and one of their beautiful wall murals:

..and last but not least a photo of the front of Mi Camino Real with a meandering soliloquy of sorts by our esteemed TN native and ex writer..(our female lunchbunch pal from VT had just returned from a long sojourn that took her all over the NE and thus the seemingly odd references) .. lol..there are comments pertinent to the food..lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My wife and I were there for dinner this past Monday and in talking to our waiter I learned that the family that runs  this place and the ones in Maysville and Georgetown consist of himself and five other brothers and two sisters.

We shared their Fajitas Jalisco for two which consists of marinated tender strips of beef, chicken and shrimp served with sauteed onions,  bell peppers, tomatoes, refried beans, rice, guacamole, salad and flour tortillas.

We also shared an order of churros.

The food was very good and much of it came home with us.  Probably going to  have it for lunch today. (I forgot my camera unfortunately for this latest visit).

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/12/09 15:59:16
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/09 14:05:44 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

The service has always been bad. The men are very nice. Just lousy servers. You will never be asked if you would like a second beer or refill on iced tea. I always have to ask for a bill. They know me there also. I used to go there about once every 10 days. The place needs a womans touch. Blow out the wall and expand. Hire some Waitresses. Get a better quality pepperoni. Get a Hostess and there would be a line around the building...Russ

I have to agree for the most part that this summarizes my 3 experiences there. Never have gotten asked if I wanted a refill on any of my drinks, the servers always seem to be annoyed to be well "serving" you, and I find the quality of ingrediants do not command the money that they are asking for.

Yes I know, my favorite pizza in the area doesn't use high quality ingrediants but then again Marion's is not what I would consider to be trying for the same "ambiance" or "experience" as Troni's.
Russ Jackson
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/09 14:19:47 (permalink)
My problem with Marion's is that the place needs to be cleaned and updated. Hey I am all about nostalgia but the place is dirty and worn down. Dust on fixtures and ther is no energy in the place. I don't care for the Pizza but it was once a Dayton place to be at. Even though the service at Troni's is poor. The customers that pack the place are happy and talkitive. There is a buzz in the air. The patrons are content waiting for quality food. I could fix the place in an hour. Get a couple full figured professional Waitresses who know what they are doing and you wouldn't be able to get into the place.

Five Guys has a similar situation. On a scale of 1 to 10 it would rate a 7.5. But because nobody makes a fresh ground beef burger in most cities. People are lined up out the door. Imagine if someone did it with a jucier grade of meat and a quality bun. Served by a pleasant waitress instead of walking through a maze to place an order to an unattentitive punk. Cut back on the unreal ammount of fries and give me a quality bun. I might bring some quality pepperoni into Tronis next time I go there.

Question of the day:

How are pizza pepperonis sliced so thin? Laser? And why dont the burn when cooked.

If you stacked an entire pizzas worth of pepperoni it wouldn't add up to a 1/2 inch. I find it amazing...Russ
post edited by Russ Jackson - 2009/12/09 14:32:24
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/09 14:22:54 (permalink)
..or bring back the other brothers and sister who had ran the front end before they split..
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/09 14:38:56 (permalink)
Marion's is like many long time Dayton area landmarks - coasting on a reputation. IMO the staff is like "don't give a crap" and the patrons are there just because their parents used to go there.

Definitely, Marion's is coasting on its Kenley Players affiliation and all of the stars who used to eat there after performances.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/09 14:49:00 (permalink)
Some interesting comments on "hidden gems" in the Dayton metroplex area:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/e/content/oh/story/entertainment/restaurants/2008/04/24/ddn042508godine.html
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/09 16:52:32 (permalink)
Wow, great article find!

I saw Buckhorn Tavern in the list. I haven't been there for 10+ years but I remember it fondly as a great place to eat.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/10 00:45:48 (permalink)
I see that the article mentions El Meson.  I was on the El Meson bandwagon.  For all of two visits.  First of all, I've never found the service to be anything approaching "impeccable" (the first word I'd use to describe the service we've received on our multiple visits there would be "condescending"; secondly, I'd posit "infuriating").  Secondly, the steak we've ordered (on two occasions) has never been less than medium-well, even though medium rare was specified both times.

The final nail in this place's coffin, as far as I'm concerned?  Upon exiting the restaurant after our last lackluster (to be somewhat kind) meal, we strolled by the kitchen and observed the cooks utilizing Kraft "parmesan cheese" in one of their dishes.  Yes, I am talking about the sawdust encased in the green plastic jar.

And this is authentic South American cooking?  Give me a GD break!
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/10 08:46:45 (permalink)
donw9876

Marion's is like many long time Dayton area landmarks - coasting on a reputation. IMO the staff is like "don't give a crap" and the patrons are there just because their parents used to go there.

Definitely, Marion's is coasting on its Kenley Players affiliation and all of the stars who used to eat there after performances.

Heck, I know for a fact that most of them don't give a crap. My buddy worked there for 6 years, 4 of which as a manager, and there was always rotating crew of "regular" workers that never gave a hoot.

The new Dayton Mall location is nice and I agree it is what the other stores severely need, which is an update to the looks. Most of them look very run down, Centerville in particular, but if I'm craving pizza it is either here or Johnny's. If I happen to be near The Pub I will get their pizza as I really enjoy it but I know that most people would probably not like their pizza.
Russ Jackson
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/10 09:49:52 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Some interesting comments on "hidden gems" in the Dayton metroplex area:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/e/content/oh/story/entertainment/restaurants/2008/04/24/ddn042508godine.html

Great resource.
I see he liked Big Lou's BBQ.
Thank goodness that place closed. By far one of the dirtiest places ever. I looked at that place after it closed and the owner dissappeared and it was discusting. That place must have made many sick...Russ
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/10 17:17:07 (permalink)
Soccer862923 Most of them look very run down, Centerville in particular, but if I'm craving pizza it is either here or Johnny's. If I happen to be near The Pub I will get their pizza as I really enjoy it but I know that most people would probably not like their pizza.

What/where is "The Pub"? Do you mean at The Greene?

What is that pizza like?

Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 07:00:54 (permalink)
donw9876

Soccer862923 Most of them look very run down, Centerville in particular, but if I'm craving pizza it is either here or Johnny's. If I happen to be near The Pub I will get their pizza as I really enjoy it but I know that most people would probably not like their pizza.

What/where is "The Pub"? Do you mean at The Greene?

What is that pizza like?

Yep that is the one I am referring to. It has become my default watering hole, as opposed to a lot of my buddies at work who tend to go to the Dublin Pub...Sorry but I just don't feel like dealing with the parking and getting to downtown Dayton and would rather brave The Greene parking lot.

I am struggling here trying to describe their pizza as while I don't think its unique it just hits the right niche. The dough is a thin crust that is really not crisp and it probably has the tendency to be closer to pita bread but still holds up to the toppings. The sauce is a simple tomato sauce with, as far as I can tell, minimal spices and flavorings. Where it really shines is the toppings, well in my opinon. The cheese is not spectacular but does the job well and has a decent flavor to it. They have a rotating daily special pizza on top of the standard cheese and pepperoni which are available every day.

Recently they have seemed rather willing to do pizzas to order, don't know if it is because I am a regular or if they will for anybody. My favorite combo is the pepperoni and bacon pizza. But they have some different pizzas such as an Asian Vegetable, Hawaiian, and BBQ Chicken that are sometimes specials.

I am almost certain that NYPizzaNut would not like this pizza at all but it tends to hit a spot in my pizza loving heart that I just can't say no to and have a hard time ordering anything else there, even though their Young's Double Chocolate Stout Burger is fantastic as well.  If anything I recommend giving it a try as you just might like it.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 09:20:45 (permalink)
Our lunchbunch visited:

Lumberton 68 Family Restaurant Inc
8295 N US Highway 68 , Wilmington, OH
Phone - (937) 486-2111

yesterday ... it is mentioned here:

http://www.mytravelguide.com/restaurants/reviews-58251205-68_Family_Restaurant_Inc_reviews.html#82597601

Comments and photos will follow soon.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/12/11 09:22:17
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 30
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1