Hot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 30
Author
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 12:33:46 (permalink)
Thanks, Soccer. (I asked because there is a Pub in Centerville, a Pub in Lebanon, and probably several others around here I'm missing...) The pizza sounds worth trying - I love thin crust.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 14:44:48 (permalink)
Here are photos and slide show with comments from our lunchbunch visit yesterday to the Lumberton 68 Family Restaurant 8295 St Rt 68 North in Lumberton (about 7 miles north of Wilmington and 4 miles N of I-71).

This place was picked at the last minute due to inclement weather yesterday morning - it was our second visit there.

They have fairly decent fare and are very nice and accomodating folks. They offer breakfast specials too and serve breakfast all day long.  We could have got the biscuits and gravy morning special as they still had some left - the pancake dishes I saw on tables but  neglected to photograph looked very good and very large. (Whilst drinking lots of coffee and waiting on my companions).

We were so hungry I did not get a chance to even take pictures of some of the dishes before they were eaten up or passed around.

The chili was pretty good as was the veggie soup - remnants of which are pictured.

I never even got to snap the coconut or butterscotch cream pies before they were consumed - they are all home-made by the owner (they have been under current ownership since 1992).  Their desserts are simply marvelous.

I loved my chicken with noodles and mashed potatoes and broasted potatoes.

The pork chops and chicken and fried sausage were also pretty tasty as were the sides and the fried mushrooms.  The rolls were plain jane but we were told they have corn bread at times.

If you plan to visit you will recognize the light blue building by the photo provided - you will not be able to read the yellow sign til you are on top of it!

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/68%20Family%20Restaurant%20Lumberton%20OH/

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/68%20Family%20Restaurant%20Lumberton%20OH/?albumview=slideshow
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/12/11 15:13:31
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 15:22:34 (permalink)
No pie pictures...and on Pie Friday

I don't blame you for liking those broasted potatoes and the chicken & dumplings those look amazing. How was the fried chicken?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 15:28:31 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

No pie pictures...and on Pie Friday

I don't blame you for liking those broasted potatoes and the chicken & dumplings those look amazing. How was the fried chicken?

I got the wing which I thought was very moist and delicious.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 16:24:07 (permalink)
NYPN - thanks for the photos. It looks cheap, and good.

I never even noticed a restaurant there until you mentioned it in a thread some months ago. The last picture of the totally faded yellow sign shows why I never noticed that place. You can't read or even see the sign that well from the south, and I always thought it was a storage building or some kind of mechanical parts or service place.

They really need a new sign. Even a piece of handpainted plywood would be better than what they have now.

Hell, if someone just spraypainted "EAT" on the front of the building their business would probably increase 50%. ;)
post edited by donw9876 - 2009/12/11 16:27:34
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 17:34:24 (permalink)
..the place is usually packed with locals and that is the way they like it I guess..
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/11 22:14:27 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/12 08:04:00 (permalink)
I know just because you're related doesn't necessarily mean anything but I never understood sibling disputes. Minor quarreling, okay, but things like this were it escalates to a trial...come on! Handle that at home.

Frankly I never understand situation like this in general....friend, brother, partner...we're all human.
RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/12 08:17:24 (permalink)
68 Family Restaurant is my breakfast stop every Sunday morning on my way to Wilmington. Good home-made food - rare in this area - at reasonable prices. Classic roadfood IMHO.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/12 12:18:08 (permalink)
EatingTheRoad

I know just because you're related doesn't necessarily mean anything but I never understood sibling disputes. Minor quarreling, okay, but things like this were it escalates to a trial...come on! Handle that at home.

Frankly I never understand situation like this in general....friend, brother, partner...we're all human.

Remember the brother that got punched is the one that started up a restaurant similar to his brothers right around the corner - the only thing is he cannot make a pizza that tastes like anything because his crust is awful.

donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/12 13:15:05 (permalink)
Update 12/18/09 - talked to our favorite waitress here and outlined the situation. Apparently this was a one time glitch.

The Breakfast Club in Lebanon may be losing its edge with diner food. (rest snipped)

post edited by donw9876 - 2009/12/18 18:46:53
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/12 20:06:13 (permalink)
Haven't hit that one and probably will not.
davery5872
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/13 01:16:39 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

My problem with Marion's is that the place needs to be cleaned and updated. Hey I am all about nostalgia but the place is dirty and worn down. Dust on fixtures and ther is no energy in the place. I don't care for the Pizza but it was once a Dayton place to be at. Even though the service at Troni's is poor. The customers that pack the place are happy and talkitive. There is a buzz in the air. The patrons are content waiting for quality food. I could fix the place in an hour. Get a couple full figured professional Waitresses who know what they are doing and you wouldn't be able to get into the place.

Five Guys has a similar situation. On a scale of 1 to 10 it would rate a 7.5. But because nobody makes a fresh ground beef burger in most cities. People are lined up out the door. Imagine if someone did it with a jucier grade of meat and a quality bun. Served by a pleasant waitress instead of walking through a maze to place an order to an unattentitive punk. Cut back on the unreal ammount of fries and give me a quality bun. I might bring some quality pepperoni into Tronis next time I go there.

Question of the day:

How are pizza pepperonis sliced so thin? Laser? And why dont the burn when cooked.

If you stacked an entire pizzas worth of pepperoni it wouldn't add up to a 1/2 inch. I find it amazing...Russ

I agree that Marion's needs to be updated, but I love the pizza.  I grew up on Cassano's, Ron's and Marion's.  Sadly, only Marion's is still the same.  My favorite pizza places in Dayton are Marion's, Milano's, Dewey's, Spinoza and Flying Pizza.  I tried Troni's once and was pretty good,  I just can't get my wife to go back. 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/13 11:46:11 (permalink)
Roadkill Bill

68 Family Restaurant is my breakfast stop every Sunday morning on my way to Wilmington. Good home-made food - rare in this area - at reasonable prices. Classic roadfood IMHO.

Here is a composite collage of most of our food consumed during our visit there this past Thursday:

Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/13 17:46:24 (permalink)
donw9876

The Breakfast Club in Lebanon may be losing its edge with diner food.

I ate there last week and had fish with hash browns instead of fries. I asked for extra crispy hash browns with onions, and what was brought out by the same waitress who should have known better looked like a plate of yellow, way undercooked saratoga chips with no onions. I sent it back and it came back just passable, with the slices of potato more browned than fried. The fish is hand dipped and used to be succulent - this time it was barely fried completely and not that crisp.

This was very simple stuff to foul up and the place wasn't very busy - no excuse that I could see. Next time this happens I will talk to the manager and complain.

That is disappointing to say the least. The Breakfast Club has always been really good for Breakfast and they have been pretty fast and good quality. While I may not be a fan of their biscuits and gravy but I think that their cinnamon rolls are fantastic and pretty filling otherwise.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/15 12:53:46 (permalink)
Skull Mask Worn During Robbery Posted: 12:08 pm EST December 14, 2009 Updated: 6:53 pm EST December 14, 2009
RIVERSIDE, Ohio -- Police are investigating an armed robbery that happened Sunday night in Riverside,  The robbery happened at Joe’s Pizzeria, and police said the man who robbed the business was wearing a skull mask.  Joe’s Pizzeria has been operated by the same family for 50 years on Airway Road.

http://www.whiotv.com/news/21961342/detail.html
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/12/15 12:55:47
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/15 16:57:03 (permalink)
http://www.myohiodefenselawyer.com/ohio-man-charged-with-domestic-violence-for-fight-with-brother/

Ohio Man Charged With Domestic Violence for Fight with Brother

Too often the general public has a very narrow view of what the laws encompass. This story is a good example of domestic violence reaching far beyond husband and wife situations.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/15 17:27:57 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/16 13:06:22 (permalink)
Is anyone familiar with the Meadowlark Restaurant in the Dayton Mall area?
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/16 20:44:06 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Yup.  Eaten there several times.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/16 21:13:14 (permalink)
What do you recommend?
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/17 10:57:36 (permalink)
Captain Howdy

NYPIzzaNut

Yup.  Eaten there several times.

I have eaten there myself for breakfast and I would recommend staying away for that meal. My parents and I ate there about a year ago after hearing how wonderful their food is. I was kind of dissapointed in the flavors and the serving size for the money that we paid.

Most of the items are of the "arisinal" or "bistro" like that for the most part I don't tend to care for as I never feel like I am getting in value what I am paying for. I don't know about their dinner as it may be drastically different, but in what I would consider a rather extensive brunch experience in Dayton it ranks rather low in my books.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/18 11:19:29 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

What do you recommend?

Well, as with Soccer862923, I've only ever had brunch there; however, unlike him, each time I've dined there, I've always really liked the food/experience.  Probably it's because I do, in fact, enjoy the flavors, and the extensive use of artisanal/sustainable ingredients.  To each his own.

Having said that, here's what I've tried:

Huevos Rancheros - While it's not my favorite version of this that I've ever had (that would be the huevos divorciados served at Cazadores in Franklin), it is pretty damned good, as I recall, with s subtle touch of heat and luscious, silken, creamy poached eggs.

Potato Roesti - The wife ordered this, and as I recall, really liked it.  It pretty much is what it says it is: good quality hashbrowns.

'Lark Burger - A wholly adequate burger, cooked to my wife's specifications, but without much of a crust (which I like on a burger) due, I'm sure, to it being cooked in red wine... which didn't, as I recall, add all that much flavor to the meat.

Hoppin' John - Good, flavorful dish.  I've never had this anywhere else, but I really liked it here.

Garlic Frites - These, along with the huevos, are probably the tastiest things I've eaten there.  The homemade ketchup is mighty tasty, too.

So, those are my two cents.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/18 11:47:53 (permalink)
Captain Howdy

NYPIzzaNut

What do you recommend?

Well, as with Soccer862923, I've only ever had brunch there; however, unlike him, each time I've dined there, I've always really liked the food/experience.  Probably it's because I do, in fact, enjoy the flavors, and the extensive use of artisanal/sustainable ingredients.  To each his own.

Huevos Rancheros - While it's not my favorite version of this that I've ever had (that would be the huevos divorciados served at Cazadores in Franklin), it is pretty damned good, as I recall, with s subtle touch of heat and luscious, silken, creamy poached eggs.

Potato Roesti - The wife ordered this, and as I recall, really liked it.  It pretty much is what it says it is: good quality hashbrowns.

'Lark Burger - A wholly adequate burger, cooked to my wife's specifications, but without much of a crust (which I like on a burger) due, I'm sure, to it being cooked in red wine... which didn't, as I recall, add all that much flavor to the meat.

Hoppin' John - Good, flavorful dish.  I've never had this anywhere else, but I really liked it here.

Garlic Frites - These, along with the huevos, are probably the tastiest things I've eaten there.  The homemade ketchup is mighty tasty, too.

Our lunchbunch went there yesterday and we really enjoyed the food and experience - we had two dishes you mentioned - the garlic frites and the Hoppin' John, with cornbread and steak added to the dish - I will do a full report shortly once I edit and assemble the photos and my thoughts - I also picked up some cider and apples beforehand at A & M Farm Orchard for the group and a great pizza from Troni's on the way home - probably the best pizza I ever recall having from Troni's.  A & M will only have cider and apples through Wednesday or so of next week and then they close for the season so if you are in the area I highly recommend the cider.

Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/18 12:04:24 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Captain Howdy

NYPIzzaNut

What do you recommend?

Our lunchbunch went there yesterday and we really enjoyed the food and experience - we had two dishes you mentioned - the garlic frites and the Hoppin' John, with cornbread and steak added to the dish - I will do a full report shortly once I edit and assemble the photos and my thoughts - I also picked up some cider and apples beforehand at A & M Farm Orchard for the group and a great pizza from Troni's on the way home - probably the best pizza I ever recall having from Troni's.  A & M will only have cider and apples through Wednesday or so of next week and then they close for the season so if you are in the area I highly recommend the cider.

Looking quite forward to your writeup!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/18 13:35:11 (permalink)
I stopped at Lovely's Farm Market and Country Cafe on St Rt 73 in Springboro on the way to lunch yesterday, to pick up some chocolate licorice, and learned they will be closing on Dec 24th for the season and will reopen next May - they will be clearing inventory out next week with greatly reduced prices:

http://www.lovelysfarmmarket.com/index.htm
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/18 18:50:07 (permalink)
A note on Lovely's, where I have never bought food, but recommended to me by a trustworthy friend: supposedly they have simply fantastic fried chicken. FWIW.

Thanks for the heads up, NYPN.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/18 19:39:26 (permalink)
donw9876

A note on Lovely's, where I have never bought food, but recommended to me by a trustworthy friend: supposedly they have simply fantastic fried chicken. FWIW.

I got a look at the fried chicken they were readying for lunch and if looks and smell count for anything I would have to agree it is exceptional.

Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/19 01:00:12 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

donw9876

I got a look at the fried chicken they were readying for lunch and if looks and smell count for anything I would have to agree it is exceptional.

I can confirm firsthand the deliciousness of Lovely's fried chicken.  It's succulent and crispy beyond belief (IMHO).
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/19 08:32:59 (permalink)
I decided to start out my comments from our lunchbunch trek this past Thursday with my last stop of the day, at Troni's Pizzeria and Restaurant in Kettering, Ohio, where I picked up a mushroom and pepperoni pizza for a late supper, for my wife and I.  I generally have been getting it well done as I like the crust more that way.  This particular pie was one of the best ones I have ever had while in Ohio (32 years).  And I usually get my pies plain!

I have memorialized it by a photograph, and also am including one of the staff at this restaurant:

The owner Sami is on the far left and his son Nick (they are the  chief pizza makers) is in the middle. The other fellows, to the right of the owner and Nick, are friends of the family and the one on the far right is a cousin of Nick's.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/12/19 08:44:53
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 30
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1