The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 14 of 30, messages 391 to 420 of 878
NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Tue, 01/5/10 6:56 PM (permalink)
Russ Jackson

I havent tried it yet...lol...Russ

I would never make it at home anyway. Until I own an actual Pizza oven or I cant find good Pizza again I will leave it to Dewey's and Troni's.

What do you think of the flavor/taste  of the slice that you have from your wife's EAP pizza from Dewey's, when nobody is looking? lol

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Tue, 01/5/10 9:37 PM (permalink)
    http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2007/01/deweys_cincinnati_ohio.html

Another ex New Yorker raving about Dewey's.  Note the last comment, from
    Cartophilia at 2:09PM on 01/25/08

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4481
      Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Tue, 01/5/10 11:52 PM (permalink)
      Did this other former NYer fellow write about any other pizzas in the Southwest Ohio Environs?

Like Troni's?
      <message edited by TJ Jackson on Wed, 01/6/10 1:01 AM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
        Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/6/10 12:06 AM (permalink)
        Dewey's has a big  handle on their pizza.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
          Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/6/10 6:52 AM (permalink)
          TJ Jackson

Did this other former NYer fellow write about any other pizzas in the Southwest Ohio Environs?

Like Troni's?

TJ do you like Dewey's?...Russ

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/6/10 6:17 PM (permalink)
            CCinNJ

Eh?

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/7/10 1:15 PM (permalink)
              Our lunchbunch will not be getting together this week,  due to a snowstorm we are experiencing  now - it looks like next week we will do a reprise visit to the Country Inn in Mt. Orab on St Rt 68, which has the best fried chicken I have had in Ohio to date, and I will take  some photos of it and  post them here.

Of course photos will not convey how tasty and succulent the chicken is - you just have to experience that in person.

TJ Jackson

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/7/10 1:23 PM (permalink)
                A few people I know have reported back on the chicken at Country Inn in Mt Orab, and found it to be very average.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/7/10 2:05 PM (permalink)
                  I am planning on checking the fried chicken out at Campbell's Barn* and will compare them.

http://www.campbellsbarn.com/

One of our posters (Baughman from Blanchester I believe) said it his go to place for fried chicken in southwest Ohio, just as Country Inn is the place my wife and I prefer for this dish.

Where do you hear is the best fried chicken in southwest Ohio?

My Paris TN friend is not nearly in love with the fried chicken at Country Inn as we are.

But we have different taste in many food areas.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/7/10 4:40 PM (permalink)
                    I think the food we most agree about is BBQ - pork ribs, brisket, pulled pork and the traditional sides that generally go with them.  However I love sweet corn bread, and he prefers it sugarless.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/7/10 7:07 PM (permalink)
                      NYPIzzaNut

http://www.columbusfoodie.com/category/travel/

04 Jan

Queen City Edition: Oleg’s Tavern

Author: swampkitty05  //  Category: Ethnic, Restaurant Review, Travel
                      A few weeks ago, Paul and I made our semi-annual trip to Jungle Jim’s, that wonderful foodie destination that can beckon me to spend my whole month’s grocery budget in one fell swoop. We’ve taken to trying new restaurants in the Cincinnati area while down there, and this time was no exception.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...if your click on Oleg's Tavern above you will find another review of this restaurant along with photos ..this review explains in much more detail some of the reasons why their food is so good....this is from Jan 04 last year I believe.. note our meatloaf did not come with the gravy!

Here is another detailed review that sheds more light on Oleg's:

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-16844-olegrss-tavern-(review).html

Oleg’s Tavern (Review)

Ukrainian native serves up authentic German Food in Mason

By Lora Arudser

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/7/10 7:41 PM (permalink)
                        NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

It is looking like our next lunchbunch outing will be here:

http://www.troyscafeandcatering.com/

4877 Smith Rd West Chester OH 45069

Specializing in American Comfort Food, Fresh Seafood, 

Cafe Fare, and Award Winning Desserts
                        http://www.troyscafeandcatering.com/Cafe_Menu.html

Our lunchbunch visited Troy's on this past Thursday.  If you click on the below link you will see a slideshow of our visit there:
                        http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Troys%20Cafe%20West%20Chester%20Ohio/?albumview=slideshow

They have been open since March and seem to be doing well.

We had 2 soups on the menu and the special  of the day - corn soup.  I loved the chili and the tomato bisque but found the corn soup a wee bit sweet for my taste, but 2 other members of the group loved it.  We all liked the chili (served with feta cheese) and tomato bisque, so much so that we had to have a discussion on who was taking home which leftovers.

I had the Cuban panini, but while it was tasty I was disappointed it wasn't warmed and pressed.
                        The smoke mozz was very good.  I liked the Uovo sandwich also and the crab cakes.  (see website menu for details of what went into the dishes).

The desserts, with the exception of the creme broule (excellent) were from Servatii's.  We had a Napoleon and it was delicious.

I ordered a meatball as a side dish - when I saw another patron eating his meatballs and spaghetti - they are huge and very tasty.  They probably would make a wonderful hoagie - the crusty French bread they used on our sandwiches was very good.

The staff were very attentive and helpful and we had a very enjoyable lunch there.
                        I just ran across another review on Troy's Cafe which will give you a little better idea of why this place is so good:

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-17841-troys-cafe-(review).html

Wednesday, May 13,2009

Troy's Cafe (Review)

Doing 'simple food' well

By Lora Arudser

Time for Pie

• Total Posts: 50
                          Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Fri, 01/8/10 2:31 PM (permalink)
                          Hey TJ,  shouldn't you be complaining about Cincinnati eateries (Oleg's and their Thai neighbors) being reviewed in the wrong thread?  ;)

TJ Jackson

Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Fri, 01/8/10 2:57 PM (permalink)
                            I don't understand your question

First, the supposition is incorrect - "Oleg and their Thai neighbors" are well within the boundaries of "Southwest Ohio and Environs"

Second, why should I be complaining about it?  Emphasis on the word "should"

Finally, wouldn't your post be more suited to a PM direct to me, rather than a post in this thread, where it could potentially be interpreted as a public personal attack?

If you agree with number 3, PM me to let me know you agree, and then let's both delete our respective posts here and take this to PMs rather than disrupt this thread further

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Fri, 01/8/10 5:54 PM (permalink)
                              I guess folks are snowbound  and not getting out to restaurants much this week!

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Sun, 01/10/10 12:06 PM (permalink)
                                Looks like the Country Inn this week - will get some photos of their fabulous fried chicken!

I ran across a review for Gepetto's Pizza in Mt Orab:

http://www.thefoodhussy.com/2009/10/where-hell-is-mt-orab-and-whats-there.html

In my early days living in this area I stopped and ate there - their pizza certainly is better than Domino's and LaRosa's but not by a whole lot - it is not a place I would recommend or return to, all things being equal.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Sun, 01/10/10 1:58 PM (permalink)
                                  Due to changes in my friends' schedules we will be at Troni's this week!!!

Man sometimes things just work themselves out!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
                                    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Sun, 01/10/10 10:30 PM (permalink)
                                    NYPIzzaNut

CCinNJ

Eh?

The picture on Slice. It could be stretched out a little more. It appears very bready.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/13/10 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                      I think their pizzas are the perfect balance of dough and crust, sauce and cheese.

TJ Jackson

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/13/10 2:54 PM (permalink)
                                        NYPIzzaNut

I think their pizzas are the perfect balance of dough and crust, sauce and cheese.

Whose pizzas are you referring to?

Russ Jackson

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/13/10 4:01 PM (permalink)
                                          TJ Jackson

NYPIzzaNut

Whose pizzas are you referring to?

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/13/10 5:04 PM (permalink)
                                            Dewey's.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/13/10 5:41 PM (permalink)
                                              Our lunchbunch was at Troni's Pizza and Restaurant in Kettering yesterday and these were the stars of the show:

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/13/10 7:14 PM (permalink)
                                                This was the special lunch menu for Tuesday:

Off that menu we had the:

Philly Cheese Steak (nothing to write home about) and:

Spaghetti with meatballs (we traded off the salad that comes with this special for another meatball) - we should not have though as the meatballs, while they looked good, were like rubber balls and did not taste like much of anything

Off of the regular menu we ordered:

Antipasto (mostly lettuce with little meat or cheese and no olives - for six bucks not worth it)
                                                and:

fried calamari (pretty sparse portion and very greasy and rubbery - for $9.99 kind of ridiculous)

and for dessert:

tiramisu (tasty but frozen kind - not a deal for four bucks)

Here is a group photo, after our Scrabble session, with waiter Brian:

I try to tell my compadres to stick with pizza at Troni's but no one much listens to me!  

The pizza was exceptionally delicious as usual as was the one I took home (bacon on half and mushrooms on half) - My wife thought it was a little too well done and it probably was but it was still fantastic!

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 01/13/10 7:28 PM>

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
                                                  Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Wed, 01/13/10 8:36 PM (permalink)
                                                  They made a chef's salad and called it antipasto.

R Sauer

• Total Posts: 38
                                                    • Location: Greater Cincy/Dayton, OH
                                                    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/14/10 12:17 AM (permalink)
                                                    I have friends who live in the Middletown area who keep recommending Stefano's.  I've never tried it myself, but I am curious.  Has anyone on these forums ever tried it?  How are their pizzas and calzones?  How does their other food taste?  Thanks.

http://www.stefanositaliancafe.net/index.htm
                                                    <message edited by R Sauer on Thu, 01/14/10 12:19 AM>

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/14/10 12:28 PM (permalink)
                                                      R Sauer

I have friends who live in the Middletown area who keep recommending Stefano's.  I've never tried it myself, but I am curious.  Has anyone on these forums ever tried it?  How are their pizzas and calzones?  How does their other food taste?  Thanks.

http://www.stefanositaliancafe.net/index.htm

I did not recall this restaurant at first glance, but after some checking with my lunch mates I realized we had paid this place a visit a little over two years ago:

I do recall now their pizza being pretty awful and the waitress had to check with someone on the other side of the restaurant each time we asked a question about the food offerings on the menu but nothing much else stands out in my memory bank.
                                                      <message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Thu, 01/14/10 12:45 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

• Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                        Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/14/10 2:09 PM (permalink)
                                                        I just heated up a piece of Troni's mushroom pizza that I bought as a take-out pie on Tuesday:

It tastes just like it came out of the oven at Troni's on Tuesday because I heated it up on a pizza stone at 500 degrees for four minutes.  Thanks again, Russ for the tip on heating pizza up!

Russ Jackson

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/14/10 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                                          If I were going to take a pie home I would only get it with cheese. I would then add my own frseh toppings. Leftovers on the other hand are a different story. I also squirt a couple squirts of water from a spray bottle into the oven. I would up grade the pepperoni and mushrooms and add jalapeno's which Tronis does not have...Russ

TJ Jackson

• Location: Cincinnati, OH
                                                            Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Thu, 01/14/10 2:37 PM (permalink)
                                                            Does Troni's use canned mushrooms?

Those look like canned

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 14 of 30, messages 391 to 420 of 878

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com