Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 15, messages 61 to 120 of 878
NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/22/09 3:32 PM
Here is a photo of the storefront, and the owner Alex Mercado is on the left and the mural artist is to the right:

The expected opening day is the middle of August.

Here are some of the beautiful murals in the restaurant:

Click to view full size:

The address is 137 N Point Drive, Mt Orab. Coming east on State Route 32,  you exit onto State Route 68, turn left and go over the 32 overpass and turn left at the first light  and left again immediately and they are  behind Skyline Chili  in a strip shopping center.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 07/22/09 3:47 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/22/09 5:07 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Had lunch at Song Long Vietnamese Restaurant today.  One of the sons of the owner who was our waiter told me his mom and dad - the owners and cooks - will be retiring in 3 or 4 years and they will close the place at that time as none of the children in their large family is planning to continue the business.  One of their female siblings cooked there at one time but has moved away.

This is terrible news as I think this restaurant is very special and probably makes the best authentic Vietnamese cuisine in SW Ohio, and I hate to see it gone.

The father came over from Vietnam in 1975 when we bailed out of the war and brought his entire family over with him - I believe they have 11 children but unfortunately one of them was killed in an auto accident on I-75 a few years ago.  They started the restaurant 25 years ago.

The dad was a colonel in the ARVN - the South Vietnamese army.

So get your fix of their food before they pull the plug.

I shot some photos which I will be posting soon.

On the way home I took a look at a new authentic Mexican restaurant going in where the Royal Buffet used to be, in Mt Orab.

I will also post some photos of the storefront and owner and new beautiful murals just finished.

They have a location now in Maysville and this will be their second location - the name will be the same - Mi Camino Real.
Here are the photos taken at Song Long  yesterday:

(Click twice  to enlarge all photos to maximum size)

Rear entrance showing hours and days of operation

Interior Photo shot from front of restaurant

Vietnamese Iced Coffee

LV1. Pho Soup

Flat rice noodles served with your choice of sliced beef or chicken.(chicken pictured)

LV4. Bun Bo Hue Soup
Our spicy lemongrass and beef broth with round rice noodles and sliced beef. (they will include meatballs too if you request as I have been doing for many years).
This is something I always get at Song Long - it is so delicious.  A few years back I was getting it with number 10 heat level but I am down to 8 now.  I just cannot handle a 10 anymore!

Not pictured (consumed before taking photos)
Goi Cuon (2 cold shrimp and pork rolls)

Family portrait on rear wall by kitchen entrance and bar
Circa 1980

Link to  menu online:

http://www.menuism.com/li...aFTD52FFCr3i-Gaby-Gaa8

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also not pictured was the takeout item - House Special Fried Rice - I had it last night and for lunch today - they do a wonderful job on it.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 07/22/09 8:44 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 07/23/09 10:08 PM
NYPIzzaNut

This is our wonderful waitress from the Fireside Restaurant:

She is holding, from left to right, as you view the photo Dreamsicle Cake and Coconut Custard Pie - both of which were exceptionally fine.

The gentleman in the red shirt with strange grin is one of the founding members of our lunchbunch group - who hails from Paris, TN, and has some strange ideas about pizza etc.

The arm on the other side of Heather belongs to a young whippersnapper we recently added to our group, Keith, from Detroit.

This is our autographed menu, from Lady Heather, our five tool waitress.

And here is a collage reflecting our visit to the Fireside, as created by our Paris, TN native son who snapped the main photo and is pictured with Lady Heather inside the restaurant in the photo with the pie and cake.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Thu, 07/23/09 10:10 PM>

Bonk
  • Total Posts : 505
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/24/09 7:42 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Still Smokin' Barbeque is located at 2280 Hales Way in Williamsburg, OH.

If you are coming east on State Route 32 out of Eastgate it is just before the city limits of Mt. Orab. You turn right on Eastwood at the light and make an almost immediate left turn onto Hales Way and go to the very end past some blue warehouse type looking buildings and a gas station and they are sitting to the left in their cute little log cabin trailer.

Their food is great.   A fresh new brisket is generally available at just before 5 PM and it is scrumptious.  They are here for the summer only and open on Thursday - Saturday from 11 am - 7 pm and Sundays from 12 - 6 PM.

Lee Myers is the Pitmaster and his phone number is 513 546 4810.

They also do catering special events also.

The have pork chops, pulled pork and chicken, smoked brisket,  St Louis style ribs and Baby Back ribs.

Sides include cole slaw, Baked pork  and beans, potato salad, mac and cheese and cornbread loaves.

They have a large picnic table under a sturdy canopy to eat there but much of their biz is takeout.

Our lunchbunch group has picked up food there several times and it has been most enjoyable.

NYPN - How far is this from, say, Eastgate or I-275? I'd like to give it a shot someday soon -- so few places do good brisket in southern Ohio.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/24/09 8:17 PM
Bonk

NYPIzzaNut

If you are coming east on State Route 32 out of Eastgate it is just before the city limits of Mt. Orab. You turn right on Eastwood at the light and make an almost immediate left turn onto Hales Way and go to the very end past some blue warehouse type looking buildings and a gas station and they are sitting to the left in their cute little log cabin trailer.

Their food is great.   A fresh new brisket is generally available at just before 5 PM and it is scrumptious.  They are here for the summer only and open on Thursday - Saturday from 11 am - 7 pm and Sundays from 12 - 6 PM.

The have pork chops, pulled pork and chicken, smoked brisket,  St Louis style ribs and Baby Back ribs.

Sides include cole slaw, Baked pork  and beans, potato salad, mac and cheese and cornbread loaves.

They have a large picnic table under a sturdy canopy to eat there but much of their biz is takeout.

Our lunchbunch group has picked up food there several times and it has been most enjoyable.

NYPN - How far is this from, say, Eastgate or I-275? I'd like to give it a shot someday soon -- so few places do good brisket in southern Ohio.
From Eastgate it is about 23 miles or so but call before you go as they do not have fresh brisket available every day I have found out.

Alco251
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 2:51 AM
People, would it kill you to trim the junk off your replies?? 

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 10:08 AM
This place sounds mighty good:

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1441389/restaurant/Monfort-Heights-White-Oak/Roma-Italian-Restaurant-Cincinnati
Roma Italian Restaurant

(513) 407-3865
Monfort Heights/White Oak
6900 Cheviot Rd
Cincinnati, OH 45247

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 12:04 PM
Will be posting some on the Green Plantain on Route 4 in Fairfield.

A wonderful place to eat.

Here is a glowing review from yelp: [/link]

Josh G.
Fairfield, OH
12/23/2008
When I was 7, my parents took me to Club Med Guadeloupe, a small island in the middle of the Caribbean.  I remember the food as being really good.  Since then, I have only heard rumors of people pouring passion into the food that they cook.  Separately, I have heard rumors of unbelievable sense of family when you walk into someone else's home for a holiday meal.  I have only dreamed of a restaurant that combines family, passion for food and environment that makes you feel as if you are nowhere near your home.

I have become very good friends with the owners and chef of the Green Plantain.  I have to tell you, I feel like balling my eyes out every time I eat here.  From the explosion of flavors that dance around your taste buds on the first bite to the last morsel of goodness.  It is sad when your plate becomes empty.  

You can absolutely tell you have found your most precious reminder of a wonderful trip to Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Colombia or other South American paradise or even sitting at the family table of a big and close family in the Islands.  If you have not been, you will have your passport application complete by the time you get home.  The passion and time that they spend prepping and cooking shows easily.  The presentation of the food, the freshness, the balance of flavors, the perfection of the temperatures and the smile on their faces.  If you are not crying by reading this, then I am not doing any justice for what this restaurant represents.

I have miscalculated other restaurants by giving them 5 stars.  This one earns possibly six stars.  You are literally transported to the Caribbean when you walk in by the environment.  The mural of the beach and jungle on each side.  The delicate aroma of curry or the charbroiled beef or the rotisserie and the actually fresh cut and deep fried plantains that greet you at the table.  They take the time to prepare each dish SO FRESH and exciting, it is well worth the wait.  The prices, just a little bit under what you would expect for carting you off to the Islands.  Someone pinch me!

Don't waste your time anywhere else.  This is the best AUTHENTIC Caribbean and South American restaurant in the United States of America.  I seriously doubt you would find anything as good- even in Puerto Rico.  (The chef comes directly from the El Conquistador near San Juan)  

My Yelp friends, I am insisting that you get in here and spend all of your discretionary income.  Just try it once...you will keep them in business for years to come.  Watch for their review in national magazines or even the Food Network to make the Green Plantain the standard in Caribbean fare.  This is Utopia.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-green-plantain-fairfield

I noted some less than favorable reviews there also and elsewhere.  Our lunchbunch review is very favorable.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 07/25/09 12:06 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 12:17 PM
They say a picture speaks a thousand words:

I absolutely loved the mango smoothie and paella and goat curry and most everything we were served that day!

Note on photo one the MAB Paints  etc sign on the top right of the collage is sitting on Route 4 so you can see it driving up and down Rt 4 - the Saludos desde Chie painting on the left top of collage is on one of the bench seat backs in the restaurant - there are probably 15 or 20 of them on seat backs throughout the restaurant, representing countries whose cuisine is offered.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 07/25/09 12:22 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 12:31 PM
What follows is a list of our Paris, TN native's favorite eateries in SW Ohio:

King Wok in Clifton
GoldenLamb Lebanon
Taqueria Maya in Mason
Goodie's Barbecue N College Hill
J&W Bar B Que on Montgomery in Cincinnati
Half Day Cafe in Wyoming
Sabor Peruano in Fairfield
Green Plaintain in Fairfield
New Orleans to GO
Oleg's Tavern in Symmes Township 
Popeye's Fried Chicken

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 07/25/09 12:32 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 12:36 PM
Here is my list:

Song Long Vietnamese  Roselawn
Troni's Pizzeria and Restaurant Kettering
Goodies BBQ N College Hill
New Orleans To Go Tri County Area
Dewey's Pizza Any of their locations
Taqueria Mercado Fairfield
Green Plantain Fairfield
Country Inn Mt Orab
King Wok Clifton
China Buffet Eastgate

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 1:01 PM
The two above lists represent restaurants our lunchbunch group as a whole have eaten in.

Two places I dearly love that have not been visited by our group are:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=sebastians+gyros+cincinnati&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=5042163935778860928

http://www.sebastiansgyros.com/sebastiansgyros/default.asp

Sebastian's Greek Restaurant
15 reviews - Write a review

5209 Glenway Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45238-3704

(513) 471-2100‎

The Original Pancake House
Montgomery
9977 Montgomery Road
Montgomery, Ohio 45242
513-745-0555

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 3:45 PM

http://www.cincinnati.com/freetime/dining/reviews/080604_saborperuano_25.html

I am providing this review as my recollection from 2007 of what dishes we had is hazy but we all enjoyed the food and beverages immensely.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 3:50 PM

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 3:56 PM

dlawson
  • Total Posts : 237
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 8:04 PM
NYPIzzaNut
I absolutely loved the mango smoothie and paella and goat curry and most everything we were served that day!

I have had some excellent meals at The Green Plantain, to be sure, but I find their goat preparation skills extremely lacking, compared to what I grew up with in south Florida (which may or may not have been tailored to American palates). Goat tends to be firm and chewy, but it was generally served either shredded or as tenderized cubes at the various establishments I used to frequent. The Green Plantain even offers a "shredded" goat dish in coconut milk on their menu, but it was served as firm, chewy cubes when I ordered it...quite disappointing. Fortunately, there are literally dozens of other dishes on the menu that catch my eye, so I won't be tempted to order it again.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 07/25/09 8:48 PM
dlawson

NYPIzzaNut

I have had some excellent meals at The Green Plantain, to be sure, but I find their goat preparation skills extremely lacking, compared to what I grew up with in south Florida (which may or may not have been tailored to American palates). Goat tends to be firm and chewy, but it was generally served either shredded or as tenderized cubes at the various establishments I used to frequent. The Green Plantain even offers a "shredded" goat dish in coconut milk on their menu, but it was served as firm, chewy cubes when I ordered it...quite disappointing. Fortunately, there are literally dozens of other dishes on the menu that catch my eye, so I won't be tempted to order it again.
The goat curry we ate had little chunks with bones for the most part and they were very tasty - I do not recall them being especially chewy.

I am not sure if they use fresh or frozen goat meat.  You got me thinking though and I pulled up this study about the selling of goat meat in Cinci:

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=cache:SeP1rnItfdgJ:ocdc.osu.edu/pdf/CincinnatiRetailMarketGoatMeat.pdf+retail+sale+goat+meat+cincinnati&hl=en&gl=us

We will have to check the Halal Market out in West Chester one of these days and ask the chef at the Green Plantain about their goat meat.  They seemed very eager to please and answer questions.

I recently had a wonderful goat curry prepared by a Protestant minister - a  native of Trinidad and Tobago at a Mennonite gathering in Brown County, and he used the same kind of goat meat chunks that Manny - the chef at the Green Plantain used - the minister is from Queens NY and I thought he said he bought the meat in NYC before traveling to Ohio.  So many questions - so few answers.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 07/28/09 7:49 PM
..actually I had lasagna - which was wonderful! The sausage was tasty but pretty mealy - not the texture you want in Italian sausage.

There was on occasion a bad smell coming from the kitchen area - could not figure what it was - it seemed like a sewer odor almost.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Tue, 07/28/09 8:00 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 07/28/09 7:56 PM

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Tue, 07/28/09 7:57 PM>

donw9876
  • Total Posts : 289
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 07/28/09 9:43 PM
I attempted a "trip report" style review of the Spillway Lodge in Clarksville, next to Cowan Lake: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/fb.ashx?m=529646

The bottom line (which I didn't address in my post) is that when you see this place for the first time as you drive up to it, you anticipate a lot more than what it has to offer, in a culinary sense. It has a perfect setting. And it's in kind of a time capsule - it hasn't changed one iota, only the menu prices have changed, in the 15 years I have been going here.

Comments appreciated.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/29/09 8:20 AM
Very nice report. 

I do not normally take the time to give this kind of detail.

I did agonize over whether to mention the kitchen odor at Duke's though.  (Here and to management at the restaurant).

It kind of put a damper on the visit there.

It may not have been  actually in the kitchen because there was kind of short hallway area between the kitchen and dining area and the smell may have been in that area actually.  But we sat right next to the hallway/kitchen area and there no way to distinguish precisely where the smell emanated from.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 07/29/09 8:25 AM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/29/09 8:24 AM
Note the Duke's sign is not actually on the building - it is in the parking lot and  obscured by trees,  so when you are coming down the street you really need to be aware of that fact and look for the building itself.

donw9876
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/29/09 5:05 PM
Thanks.

Is this the "Duke's" that is part of the former Dominic's legal fiasco?

The smell you described would have me asking for my money back or just walking out without ordering.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/29/09 5:25 PM
donw9876

Thanks.

The smell you described would have me asking for my money back or just walking out without ordering.
Yes it is that "Duke's".

BTW I do encourage random chatter on this thread.

As long as it does not get out of hand!

I realize it is not encouraged on some other threads.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/29/09 5:59 PM
The smell came and went it seemed - it wasn't pervasive and not all in our group caught the odor.  Our severely  handicapped member did not catch the odor and we kind of defer to him on things like this as he has the toughest time moving about.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 07/29/09 6:04 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 07/29/09 7:45 PM
donw9876

Thanks.

This is what donw9876 is referring to:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/taste/entries/2009/04/08/fight_over_dominics_name_and_r.html

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 07/30/09 8:32 AM
NYPIzzaNut

Very nice report. 

I do not normally take the time to give this kind of detail.

I did agonize over whether to mention the kitchen odor at Duke's though.  (Here and to management at the restaurant).

It kind of put a damper on the visit there.

It may not have been  actually in the kitchen because there was kind of short hallway area between the kitchen and dining area and the smell may have been in that area actually.  But we sat right next to the hallway/kitchen area and there no way to distinguish precisely where the smell emanated from.

I did, in fact, more than once, I can only assume it was a drainage problem
somewhere in the kitchen since it was a pure sewage smell.

--------------------------------------------------

Subject: Duke's

>
> did you catch that foul odor coming from the hallway/kitchen area?
>
> what was your take on it?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

..these are emailed comments from one of lunchbunch members regarding the odor..

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 07/30/09 9:47 PM
Our lunchbunch ate at the Riverside Korean Restaurant in Covington today and we really enjoyed the food and experience and I will post photos and details in the very near future.

I picked up some  apple wood smoked brisket from Still Smokin' Barbeque in Williamsburg - Mt Orab area just off  St Rt 32 on the way home and had sandwiches of  it with the family for dinner - it is unbelievably delicious stuff - had just cooled down from cooking all day in the smoker when I picked it up and they were just cutting it.  Be there at 5 PM to get it hot and fresh as can be.  It comes out at 4:30 PM (Thursday thru Sunday).

They are here in town thru October and then head to Florida.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Thu, 07/30/09 9:52 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/31/09 2:47 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Our lunchbunch ate at the Riverside Korean Restaurant in Covington today and we really enjoyed the food and experience and I will post photos and details in the very near future.

I picked up some  apple wood smoked brisket from Still Smokin' Barbeque in Williamsburg - Mt Orab area just off  St Rt 32 on the way home and had sandwiches of  it with the family for dinner - it is unbelievably delicious stuff - had just cooled down from cooking all day in the smoker when I picked it up and they were just cutting it.  Be there at 5 PM to get it hot and fresh as can be.  It comes out at 4:30 PM (Thursday thru Sunday).

They are here in town thru October and then head to Florida.
Here are the fine folks at Still Smokin' BBQ in their log cabin trailer getting my brisket ready to go home:

L to R Lee and Sandy Myers and Wally Jones
Phone orders/questions to 513 546 4810

This is the view you see just before turning right on Eastwood Rd from St Rt 32 E - you can see their log cabin trailer just beyond and to the left of the blue roofed gray structures.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Fri, 07/31/09 2:50 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/31/09 2:57 PM
NYPIzzaNut

This is their website/menu:

www.riversidekoreanrestaurant.com

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/31/09 3:50 PM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Here is the photo album and some comments:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Riverside%20Korean%20Restaurant%20Covington%20KY/

They went out of their way to accomodate us and the fact they spoke perfect English sure helped us determine what food we wished to choose.

In thinking about it I believe my favorite dish was the seafood pancake, a concoction of squid, crabmeat, shrimp and green onion along with an exquisite dipping sauce you can see in the photo.

All of the dishes and sides were excellent though.

The little sides included potatoes, flank steak, dried squid, spinach leaves, kim chee, spicy dried radish, pickled yellow radish and spicy cucumbers.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Fri, 07/31/09 4:35 PM>

Euched
  • Total Posts : 33
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/31/09 3:56 PM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Riverside Korean is the best Korean in the Greater Cincinnati Area in my opinion.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 07/31/09 4:41 PM
Euched

NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Riverside Korean is the best Korean in the Greater Cincinnati Area in my opinion.

It is likely I will go back there with my Navy son and his Korean wife in September, when they hopefully visit with us.  What have you found to be your favorite foods there?  I was up for spicy Korean barbecue ribs but they were not on the menu.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 08/4/09 2:44 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Bonk

NYPIzzaNut

If you are coming east on State Route 32 out of Eastgate it is just before the city limits of Mt. Orab. You turn right on Eastwood at the light and make an almost immediate left turn onto Hales Way and go to the very end past some blue and gray warehouse type looking buildings and a gas station and they are sitting to the left in their cute little log cabin trailer.

From Eastgate it is about 23 miles or so but call before you go as they do not have fresh brisket available every day I have found out.

In talking to the owner I learned they just failed to order the brisket the one day I called to ensure it would be ready at 5 PM or so.

Last Thursday I got a pint for myself, and another pint to freeze for a friend, who originally got it there and loved it.

I finished off the last of the pint I got with sandwiches Sunday and just nuking it for 10 or so seconds and adding my favorite bbq sauce and putting it on a fresh bun made it as delicious virtually as my first taste of it last Thursday night.  Apple wood smoked brisket is heavenly.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 08/5/09 9:30 AM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 08/5/09 9:25 AM
It is looking like our lunchbunch will be going here this week:

http://www.karmaasianbistro.com/

We were there in February and really enjoyed everything about the place and their Thai, Vietnamese, Chinese  and Laotian  cuisine.

Here is a City Beat review from February 25, 2009:

http://www.citybeat.com/cincinnati/article-17277-karma-asian-bistro-%28review%29.html

Karma Asian Bistro (Review)

Newlyweds open fine East Side destination

By Anne Mitchell . . . . . . .
In my favorite movie, The Big Lebowski, Maud’s chauffeur tells an old vaudeville joke that starts with a litany of miseries and wraps up with the punch line, “But you know me — I can’t complain.”

Well, lately, faithful readers, that joke has been my life. My dear dog died, I lost my day job (you know, the one that pays the bills), I got food poisoning and I broke a tooth ... all since the start of 2009. Is the universe out to get me? What’s up with my karma?

Turns out that the best luck I’ve had lately has been a visit to Karma, an Asian bistro in the Anderson Towne Center. With tastes from Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and China, Karma is a lucky find.
Owning a business and working together might be a tough test for most newlyweds, but it’s working for Noi and Sa Sithideth, proprietors of Karma. Noi, whose sister owns Mekong Thai Cuisine in Kenwood, developed the menu and has broadened the Thai selections by including dishes from his Laotian heritage. According to Sa, the most noticeable difference between the two is that Thai food is sweeter, with the dominance of coconut milk in many of its sauces.
I had one of my favorite sweet drinks at Karma: strong iced coffee served with condensed milk and whipped cream. My friends shared a little sake.
There’s an excellent selection of appetizers on the menu, so we tried to taste a variety, and there were no bad choices. The Thai Stuffed Chicken Wings ($4) were a big hit. The wings had been boned and stuffed with pork sausage, then crisply fried and served on a bed of carrots and lettuce with dipping sauces that were spicy but not overwhelming.

True tofu aficionados can appreciate Fried Tofu ($5) triangles on their own merit, but even the skeptics appreciated these as sauce-delivery devices. Another surprising sauce came with the Cheese Rolls ($5). The rolls were thin, crisp cigars with a filling like Crab Rangoon, but the dipping sauce had a hint of strawberry that I really enjoyed. We also had some of the best Summer Rolls ($5) I’ve had in a while, with sweet pink shrimp showing through the rice skins.

Related content

Scotty Anderson (Profile)Lightly Through the Minefield Related to:Karma Asian BistroSithidethAndersonThe Big Lebowski

No matter what entrée you choose, I recommend that you spring for an order of Lao Fried Rice ($9) to share. We tried this out of curiosity, but I would definitely call it a must-have. Don’t miss the savory rice seasoned with holy basil and topped with a fluffy blanket of omelet. Laotian food is heavy on jalapenos, but they are easy to set aside if you’re not into them.

I went for another Laotian dish as well: Yum Neua Nahm Tok ($14), a delicious steak salad spiced with lemongrass, chilis and limejuice. Perfect for a low-carb meal, it winds up being a little bit like lettuce wraps as you near the bottom of the plate.

We also had a taste of Vietnam, with a big bowl of beef Pho ($9) garnished with cilantro. I’d be happy to live next door to a pho shop so that I could have it almost daily — it’s one of my personal comfort foods.

On our server’s recommendation, my vegetarian guest chose Pad Ke Mow ($11) — also called Drunken Noodles — with tofu, plenty of broccoli and thick rice noodles like the ones I love in Lad Nar. For a chicken dish, we loved the Kai Ka Prao ($13), another Karma special stir-fry with Thai basil and lots of onions and peppers.

I’m glad we squeezed in dessert — it was brilliant. Warm sticky rice ($4) topped with pumpkin custard on the night of our visit. It’s usually mango, but the pumpkin worked well.

Karma is in a small space on an interior corner of the Anderson Towne Center near Macy’s. I’d guess that the maximum capacity is probably 30 people, so if you have a large party, call ahead. The same menu is served at lunch and dinner.

Sa Sithideth told me that the restaurant’s name came from their commitment to taking the high road and staying positive in spite of adversity. Good advice. I think that after a bowl of their lovely pho and a serving of that sticky rice dessert, I could keep facing down my bad mojo, broken tooth and all, one day at a time.

KARMA ASIAN BISTRO
Go: 7418 Beechmont Ave., Anderson Twp.
Call: 513-233-0444
Hours: Lunch 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday; dinner: 5-10 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday
Entrée Prices: $9-$15
Payment: Major credit cards
Red Meat Alternatives: Plenty of vegetarian options
Accessibility: Yes

Share Currently 3.5/5 Stars.

Here are two collages from that visit:

Pictured L to R is our waiter, co-owner and one of our lunchbunch members

Beside our group members on the table you can see two of their wonderful desserts.  (Banana rolls and Sweet sticky rice with mango and  sweet coconut sauce).

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 08/5/09 9:39 AM>

• NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 08/7/09 8:34 AM
    Unfortunately due to personal considerations our lunchbunch isn't meeting this week.

Bonk
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 08/7/09 11:57 AM
    NYPIzzaNut
    In talking to the owner I learned they just failed to order the brisket the one day I called to ensure it would be ready at 5 PM or so.

Last Thursday I got a pint for myself, and another pint to freeze for a friend, who originally got it there and loved it.

I finished off the last of the pint I got with sandwiches Sunday and just nuking it for 10 or so seconds and adding my favorite bbq sauce and putting it on a fresh bun made it as delicious virtually as my first taste of it last Thursday night.  Apple wood smoked brisket is heavenly.

We're going to give it a shot tomorrow. I have a taste for barbeque.

Bonk
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 08/9/09 2:43 AM
    NYPN - Thanks for the info on Still Smokin'. I had a taste for brisket, and they didn't disappoint. I got a brisket sandwich and a pulled pork sandwich (I was really hungry), and both were excellent. 

The brisket was very tender and juicy and had a fairly strong but not overpowering smoke flavor. I really enjoyed it. That was $6 and the portion was good for the price. 

The pulled pork sandwich was huge for the price ($5), and it was mixed with barbeque sauce, making the texture similar to a sloppy joe. I prefer to not have BBQ sauce mixed in, and have it on the side, but on the sandwich it worked well. The sauce was sort of sweet, but not overly so, and I was really happy with the flavor.

Lee came out and talked to us for a minute, which I always think is a smart move for a business with a new customer, and he showed us his smoker. He was really cool, and even though I was done eating my mouth practically started watering when we saw and smelled the brisket and ribs on the smoker.

We bought a slab of the St. Louis ribs to go for $18. They look and smell great. We're going to devour them tomorrow.

NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 08/10/09 12:37 PM
    Bonk

NYPN - Thanks for the info on Still Smokin'. I had a taste for brisket, and they didn't disappoint. I got a brisket sandwich and a pulled pork sandwich (I was really hungry), and both were excellent. 

The brisket was very tender and juicy and had a fairly strong but not overpowering smoke flavor. I really enjoyed it. That was $6 and the portion was good for the price. 

The pulled pork sandwich was huge for the price ($5), and it was mixed with barbeque sauce, making the texture similar to a sloppy joe. I prefer to not have BBQ sauce mixed in, and have it on the side, but on the sandwich it worked well. The sauce was sort of sweet, but not overly so, and I was really happy with the flavor.

Lee came out and talked to us for a minute, which I always think is a smart move for a business with a new customer, and he showed us his smoker. He was really cool, and even though I was done eating my mouth practically started watering when we saw and smelled the brisket and ribs on the smoker.

We bought a slab of the St. Louis ribs to go for $18. They look and smell great. We're going to devour them tomorrow.

Did you try any side dishes?

Bonk
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 08/10/09 4:17 PM
    I just did the meat, and Lee actually gave us a small loaf of cornbread to try. It was very moist and was tasty even without butter.

My girlfriend had the cole slaw, which is something I don't like at all, and she said it was great. Heavy on the mayo.

Then last night we had the ribs...

We put them in the oven at 300 degrees, and they were the best ribs I've had in some time. They had a heavy smoke flavor without it being overkill, and the meat was incredibly tender. The slab was $18, and was two meals for each of us (I finished the slab for lunch today).

As much as I love brisket, and as good as theirs was, the ribs were in another class.

We're already talking about going back next weekend. They've made regular customers out of us.

NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 08/10/09 4:52 PM
    Bonk

I just did the meat, and Lee actually gave us a small loaf of cornbread to try. It was very moist and was tasty even without butter.

My girlfriend had the cole slaw, which is something I don't like at all, and she said it was great. Heavy on the mayo.

Then last night we had the ribs...

We put them in the oven at 300 degrees, and they were the best ribs I've had in some time. They had a heavy smoke flavor without it being overkill, and the meat was incredibly tender. The slab was $18, and was two meals for each of us (I finished the slab for lunch today).

As much as I love brisket, and as good as theirs was, the ribs were in another class.

We're already talking about going back next weekend. They've made regular customers out of us.

I love their coleslaw and cornbread also - I have yet to try the ribs but will do so before the summer is out and they fly the coop.

A fellow who was there last time raved about their chicken and mac and cheese.

NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 08/11/09 8:16 AM
    Our lunchbunch group will probably be here this week:

http://www.dhgroup.com/en/wv/wv-restaurant.php

Der Dutchman Restaurant {WAYNESVILLE}

Assuming the health of one of our members improves.

They offer at the moment not only a great buffet and menu for lunch and dinner but also fresh peach pies, either cooked like normal pies or with a cooked crust only and fresh peaches and whipped cream - one of the true delights of summer.

NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 08/12/09 10:25 PM
    NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Bonk

NYPIzzaNut

If you are coming east on State Route 32 out of Eastgate it is just before the city limits of Mt. Orab. You turn right on Eastwood at the light and make an almost immediate left turn onto Hales Way and go to the very end past some blue and gray warehouse type looking buildings and a gas station and they are sitting to the left in their cute little log cabin trailer.

Well due to illness my friend did not make our lunchbunch for the past two weeks so I had to defrost the brisket I bought and froze for him this morning, and tonight I made myself a brisket sandwich on Amish White/Wheat bread.  I just nuked the brisket for 20 seconds or so and slapped on some nice hot bbq sauce and it was excellent - the brisket was as good almost as the first night I bought it and ate it:

NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 08/13/09 9:40 AM
    NYPIzzaNut

Here is a photo of the storefront, and the owner Alex Mercado is on the left and the mural artist is to the right:

The expected opening day is the middle of August.

Here are some of the beautiful murals in the restaurant:

Click to view full size:

The address is 137 N Point Drive, Mt Orab. Coming east on State Route 32,  you exit onto State Route 68, turn left and go over the 32 overpass and turn left at the first light  and left again immediately and they are  behind Skyline Chili  in a strip shopping center.

I spoke to the owner today and he said all is ready for the opening but they are waiting on their furniture to come in from Mexico.  My guess is the opening should be around the beginning of next month. 

NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 08/16/09 7:04 PM
    As posted at:

http://cholesterolking.blogspot.com/2009/07/truth-about-tronistronis-pizza.html

skip to main | skip to sidebar

Thursday, July 16, 2009 The truth about Troni's...Troni's Pizza The truth about Troni's, it's a local italian pizza restaurant shop.
    Located in Kettering pretty close to my mom and pops...
    They got some tender thin NYC style pizza that sure was a big surprise...
    I think I'm gonna eat it for the rest of my life...

...so not quite Bobby Bear-own. A friend wanted to keep this place a secret so that I had to go with him to check out what he claimed was Dayton's Best pizza joint. But critical acclaim from a number of friends and family quickly alerted me to my friend's secret. We ordered 3 pies from Troni's: a cheese, a pepperoni and a supreme. The pizza is true thin crust NYC style pizza with a sweet tomato sauce. The cheese pizza was the best pie of the night --simple and plain yet oh so delicious. For a thin crust pizza it managed to hold the toppings on the supreme as well which was very tasty. The pepperoni was pretty good but the pep overpowererd the sauce, cheese and crust.

yummy cheese pizza

When all is eaten and consumed Troni's is a great pizza place. I believe it could be the best cheese pizza NYC style in Dayton but at the end of the day I still have to give the Best Pizza in Dayton title to Marion's. With that being said -- next time I'm in Dayton Betty and I are going to dine-in at Troni's and order up a nice plain cheese pizza pie.
    Posted by cholesterolking at 7:00 PM
    Labels: pizza, Troni's

NYPIzzaNut
    Re: Troni's Pizza and Italian Restaurant Kettering OH - Sun, 08/16/09 8:37 PM

TJ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 4484
    Re: Troni's Pizza and Italian Restaurant Kettering OH - Sun, 08/16/09 8:41 PM
    I love the place myself - it might be the one thing NYPN and I truly agree on - but really, such a quality-oriented place should use fresh (not canned) mushrooms

NYPIzzaNut
    Re: Troni's Pizza and Italian Restaurant Kettering OH - Sun, 08/16/09 8:54 PM
    I always get cheese pizzas so it is not a concern of mine.  (unless I am with the lunchbunch crew - who like all kinds of toppings on their pizzas).

Most pizzerias I used to go to in Yonkers and The Bronx, WAY back, used canned mushrooms - I used to love mushroom pizzas and anchovy pizzas but I got over that stage and now stick with plain pizza pies, where you can really appreciate the crust, the sauce and the cheese.

Dewey's Pizza offers regular mushrooms,  and also a  specialty mushroom pie with 3 varieties of mushrooms:

http://www.deweyspizza.com/menu

You lose the primary taste of the pizza though in my opinion when you load it up with toppings.

KahnsKrazy
    • Total Posts : 47
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 08/18/09 6:15 PM
    Hey NYPN.

I know your opinion of the overall blah-ness of the Pizza offerings in the area, but a friend just asked me for a recommendation for downtown for the closest thing to a NY style pizza. 

Here's the givens:

1) It's not going to compete with true NY pizza.
    2) They're going to go to a pizza place anyway.

Preferably, it would be in or around downtown.

(I was going to go to the Cincinnati thread, but I figured I'd catch your eye quicker on this one.  I apologize for the slightly off topic message. )

NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 08/18/09 6:25 PM
    Tell them Trattoria Roma right across from the Aronoff Center.

They have gone fancy since the Aranoff Center went up but if they get a Margarita pizza it should be fairly good.

Tell them a friend of Quinton's recommended the place.  (Quinton owned it with his wife originally and it started as a pizzeria only way back when I worked downtown - a long time ago).  Quinton passed on some time ago and his wife owns the place now and runs it still I believe.  Quinton even delived pizzas to my former home in Westwood way back on his way home - he lived nearby. 

He made pizza that was just like NY pizza - none better in the tri state area - but since he passed and they went upscale their pie quality has declined but it is still good and close to a NY pizza - at least it was around 5 years ago which is the last time I was downtown and ate there.

Let me know if they go there what they think of their pizza.

I would recommend Dewey's pizza but they are in N KY and outside downtown unfortunately.

Bonk
    Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 08/18/09 9:16 PM
    Because the ribs were so good, we went back to Still Smokin' on Saturday and got another slab. It was better than the first because it was fresher (we brought one home last week and later reheated it).

I also tried the mac-n-cheese, which was very good. Cathy tried the pork and beans and said it was great. That's not one of my favorites, so I didn't try it.

I was going to get a pork chop sandwich, but they were out, so I got a pulled chicken sandwich instead. It was a similar texture to the pulled pork -- swimming in sauce but still very good. It was so big when I bit into it a bunch fell out. I kept all the pulled chicken that fell out while I was eating it and was able to make another sandwich out of it.

They were selling smoked chickens, two for $10, and my girlfriend got two. We ate one the next day, and it was excellent. I'd actually never had smoked chicken before, but I'm going to have to start eating that regularly.

But overall the ribs are what has us coming back. I was actually craving them on Friday before we went. 

NYPIzzaNut
    Re: Still Smokin' BBQ ~ Mt Orab - Tue, 08/18/09 9:20 PM
    Bonk

Because the ribs were so good, we went back to Still Smokin' on Saturday and got another slab. It was better than the first because it was fresher (we brought one home last week and later reheated it).

I also tried the mac-n-cheese, which was very good. Cathy tried the pork and beans and said it was great. That's not one of my favorites, so I didn't try it.

I was going to get a pork chop sandwich, but they were out, so I got a pulled chicken sandwich instead. It was a similar texture to the pulled pork -- swimming in sauce but still very good. It was so big when I bit into it a bunch fell out. I kept all the pulled chicken that fell out while I was eating it and was able to make another sandwich out of it.

They were selling smoked chickens, two for $10, and my girlfriend got two. We ate one the next day, and it was excellent. I'd actually never had smoked chicken before, but I'm going to have to start eating that regularly.

But overall the ribs are what has us coming back. I was actually craving them on Friday before we went. 

Are the ribs sauced?

NYPIzzaNut
    Re: Still Smokin' BBQ ~ Mt Orab - Fri, 08/21/09 3:48 PM
    I picked up some ribs last night on the way home - they were very good!
    I will post pix shortly, including their wonderful mac and creamy cheese and corn bread.

NYPIzzaNut
    Re: Still Smokin' BBQ ~ Mt Orab - Fri, 08/21/09 4:07 PM
    NYPIzzaNut

I picked up some ribs last night on the way home - they were very good! Very tender.
    I will post pix shortly, including their wonderful mac and creamy cheese and corn bread.
    These are the St Louis unsauced ribs I picked up last night:

Here is the sauce they give with it, a corn bread loaf and their creamy mac and cheese:

I agree with you Bonk that their ribs and mac and cheese are very good as is their corn bread .... I hate to see them leave the end of October!
    <message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Fri, 08/21/09 7:47 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
    Re: Still Smokin' BBQ ~ Mt Orab - Fri, 08/21/09 7:50 PM
    Had a disappointing lunch yesterday at King Wok in Clifton.  They oversalted their soups and entrees terribly - and their fortune cookies were incredibly stale and inedible.

They are off my top 10 list of favorite restaurants for sure.

I had planned to buy takeout for the wife but chose not to after the awful meal.

Bonk
    Re: Still Smokin' BBQ ~ Mt Orab - Sat, 08/22/09 4:31 AM
    I can't stop thinking about those St. Louis ribs. The smoke flavor is significant but not overkill.

I went there the first time seeking brisket, and the brisket was awesome. But those ribs are absolutely addictive.

Lee was telling us last time we were out there that some woman from the Eastgate area brought some ribs home and was complaining that they tasted like kerosene. He said he'd gladly refund her money if she wanted to return them, but she said that her husband was in the process of finishing them as she spoke. How in the world does one mistake kerosene for smoke flavor?

NYPIzzaNut
    Re: Still Smokin' BBQ ~ Mt Orab - Sun, 08/23/09 9:26 AM
    She must have  gotten her taste buds impaired somehow along the way.

At least her hubby has his intact.

NYPIzzaNut
    Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 08/26/09 4:10 PM
    NYPIzzaNut

Here is my list:

Song Long Vietnamese  Restaurant Roselawn
    Troni's Pizzeria and Restaurant Kettering
    Goodies BBQ N College Hill
    New Orleans To Go Tri County Area
    Dewey's Pizza Any of their locations
    Taqueria Mercado Fairfield
    Green Plantain Fairfield
    Country Inn Mt Orab
    Still Smokin' Barbeque Mt Orab
    China Buffet Eastgate
    Here is my revised top 10 list

ScreamingChicken
    • Total Posts : 4737
    Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 08/30/09 8:15 PM
    I was in Lebanon over the weekend and had a very good breakfast at The Breakfast Club.  The other 2 out-of-towners in the group also liked their meals and our host told us that the restaurant's usually busy, especially on weekends.

Brad

donw9876
    Re:Favorite places to eat in Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 08/31/09 1:38 AM
    ^ Breakfast Club is very good.

Also in Lebanon, Doc's Place (http://docsplace.info/) is excellent for lunch or dinner. Great values and excellent food. The french leek soup (their version of french onion) is really good.

After two meals there I tentatively give it thumbs up. I had an excellent steak special for dinner for about $15 with sides and a salad.

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 2 of 15, messages 61 to 120 of 878