Hot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 30
Author
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 13:25:09 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Soccer862923

stricken_detective

The only restaurant I remember from when we lived in OH (1987) is Casa Lupita. They had a HUGE seafood salad.

Oh my lord I haven't heard that name in years. They had the best breakfast brunch when I was a kid and I was devastated when they closed. Wow that brings back memories.

I have lived in or around Cinci since 1977 but I somehow missed this place.

My favorite breakfast is blueberry pancakes at:

http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/

Montgomery
9977 Montgomery Road
Montgomery, Ohio 45242
513-745-0555

..this blog gives a great overview of their food in case you are not  familiar with this wonder:

http://www.whitecarrot.com/2009/03/the-original-pancake-house/

Oh I'm aware of the Original Pancake House and to be honest I feel like their pancakes are overrated. I would much sooner go to Tank's or the Hasty Tasty for pancakes
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3142
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 13:29:42 (permalink)
I am sort of a pancake nut - aside from a pizza nut - and I love my pancakes - the ones I make and the ones I may eat out on occasion - I have found none better in restaurants than at the Original Pancake House - I used to think a lot of the IHOP pancakes - back before they closed all their stores in our area - since IHOP reopened I think their pancakes are a pale shadow of what they once were - as is IHOP as a whole.
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 13:50:05 (permalink)
Soccer862923

stricken_detective

The only restaurant I remember from when we lived in OH (1987) is Casa Lupita. They had a HUGE seafood salad.

Oh my lord I haven't heard that name in years. They had the best breakfast brunch when I was a kid and I was devastated when they closed. Wow that brings back memories.

We lived in Mason & went there one day with our church group. Being a young teenager, I ordered the salad. It came out & was SUPERHUGE & everyone at the table oohed & aahed. I remember the food being good as my parents went back there on a Date Night.

My memories of OH are spotty now as it's been awhile. I remember being fascinated with a street sign right off the street we lived on that said ____ miles to Xenia. I knew that name from learning about tornadoes in science class & now here I was, down the street!

King's Island, of course. The Cincinnati Zoo, which had a lemon shark! The Cincinnati Art Museum had a Hollywood exhibit with Marilyn Monroe's birthday dress. I don't remember a lot more about the restaurants than Casa Lupita.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 13:54:27 (permalink)
It sounds like you need to revisit us.  

While we cannot get great pizza here (as I remember it in Yonkers) you can find just about any other kind of food done very well.

stricken_detective
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 17:32:06 (permalink)
I've been wanting to do a road trip. We moved the summer they opened the water park not far from King's Island.
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 17:38:27 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

It sounds like you need to revisit us.  

While we cannot get great pizza here (as I remember it in Yonkers) you can find just about any other kind of food done very well.

I guess NYPizzaNut and I will have to disagree on another thing today as I think you can find good pizza in Dayton, it just may not be New York style.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 17:44:24 (permalink)
We have established that with Troni's and Dewey's you can get about a 7 on a scale of 10 in the way of pizza available comparable to what NY pizza tastes like, which is very good for SW Ohio.

But when you trot out the chains and wannabe NY style pizza joints there is no real comparison to it.

The interesting thing to note about Dewey's and Troni's is that they make no claim to making good NY style pizza - they just happen to compare more favorably than any others in the area of the state we are talking about here.
rpglegal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 17:50:27 (permalink)
GOLDEN NUGGET pancake house in Dayton..   I lived their for 2 years and still make a yearly trip to get the best Potato pancakes I have ever had.    With homemade applesauce  or sourcream.. no one can make them like they do... 
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/08 17:57:59 (permalink)
I have had the pancakes at both places but the Original Pancake House to me makes a far superior product.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 10:07:54 (permalink)
I noted Padrino's was reviewed in today's Cinci Enquirer.

Our group ate there a while back and loved some of their dishes and found some not up to snuff, as did Polly Cambell:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090717/ENT01/907170304/Padrino+freshens++lightens+Italian+options

We also found the lasagna delicious - never noted the deficiency in the ricotta.  We found the fried zucchini to be exceptional.

The pizza there got mixed reviews from our group.  I thought it better than average for Cinci area pizza but I would not order it again there.

The garlic knots were not too good - Troni's in Kettering has the best ones and they are consistently excellent.

Our lunchbunch was at the Fireside Restaurant in Georgetown, OH yesterday, and a report with photos will follow here in short order.

The star there was our waitress - never have we had better service, attention, kindness and just sheer wonderfulness from a server.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 15:19:51 (permalink)
This is our wonderful waitress from the Fireside Restaurant:

She is holding, from left to right, as you view the photo Dreamsicle Cake and Coconut Custard Pie - both of which were exceptionally fine.

The gentleman in the red shirt with strange grin is one of the founding members of our lunchbunch group - who hails from Paris, TN, and has some strange ideas about pizza etc.

The arm on the other side of Heather belongs to a young whippersnapper we recently added to our group, Keith, from Detroit.

This is our autographed menu, from Lady Heather, our five tool waitress.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 15:28:45 (permalink)
This is a close up of the Coconut Custard Pie - I do not even care for this kind of pie but this one is fabulous and beloved by our entire group - as was Lady Heather!

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 15:30:16 (permalink)
To be honest our young whippersnapper Keith could not eat this pie as he is allergic to coconut.  But the 3 elder group members loved it beyond your wildest imagination.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 15:39:04 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 17:28:12 (permalink)
Here are some more photos of the food we ate etc, while at the Fireside Restaurant yesterday:

..these are the remnants of the fried cauliflower, cordon bleu and mushrooms we ate as our appetizers..the cordon bleu was the most tasty..it is the middle two pieces..the other two were OK but nothing to write home about..

..this was my choice..the mushroom steak hoagie with mozzarella and  dill pickles  and a side of slaw and non-descript ripple potato chips..the bun was quite good and the steak had some taste to it - the cheese was not much and it needed about 3 times as many mushrooms to make me happy but it was passable..

..this was our female lunchbuncher's choice ..liver and onions with sides of a tossed salad and green beans with ham and sweet potato fries...pretty tasty even though I normally pass on this main dish.. the beans were quite tasty but I  would prefer them cooked to death..the salad was just that.. fresh but not much to rave about.. the sweet potato fries were very good..the chicken breast is pictured with this dish as we share all our food and our lady member loves white meat..

..our young whippersnapper chose this dish..fried perch with crinkle fries and coleslaw..the perch was more breading than fish and not very good or flavorful..the fries had been frozen and were just plain Jane..the slaw was pretty tasty but mildly flavored..it did not seem home made - probably out of a big store bought container..

..this was our Paris, TN member's choice ..fried chicken (3 thighs and a breast) and double order of green beans and ham with side of cole slaw..the breading was very thin and not much to crow about and the thighs  were dry but the breast was nice and plump and juicy..

NOT PICTURED

They did not have soups other than chiii with beans, which to me is not soup..we ordered a bowl and we each took helpings of it..two of us added their spicy flavorful Kentucky hot sauce - do not recall its name..it is sitting next to the Dr Pepper glass in the above photo, and it made the chili very tasty..it was a wee bit bland without the sauce..

They forgot our bread - dinner loaves of Klosterman's dark rye bread.  To make up for it they gave us several large and small loaves to take home with our to go orders of meat loaf.  We had so much to eat we never even noticed the bread missing til we saw it on one of the other diner's  tables!

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/07/17 17:37:40
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 17:42:40 (permalink)

..this is a view of the main room shot from its rear where we were seated..we were there several hours and the place was packed during lunch hours..11 am thru 2 pm...we were allowed to play our favorite board game at the tables after eating as there is quiet time there from 2 til 4 PM (we are avid Scrabble players)..Lady Heather cleaned and polished our tables so we could have a neat place to play..
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 17:47:07 (permalink)
Our Paris TN native just reported the meat loaf take home was judged excellent by his ladies.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/17 23:30:04 (permalink)
Here is an article on Obama's visit:

Barack Obama

At Cafe, Obama Campaigns One-on-One

Barack Obama speaks with patrons at the Fireside Restaurant during a campaign stop in Georgetown, Ohio, Oct. 9, 2008. (Jim Young/Reuters)
By Robert Barnes
GEORGETOWN, Ohio -- Amidst fields of brittle soybeans and brown stalks of corn, with a shiny half-moon replacing a golden sun, a couple celebrating their 48th year as husband and wife and a diehard Republican cafe owner and a little boy with big ears met a man who has big ears himself, and says it is time to give Democrats a try and who is of the opinion that "nothing's better than a good marriage."
They all came together at a little place called the Fireside Restaurant, where Barack Obama for a few minutes Thursday evening put aside million-dollar television buys and debates watched by millions and rallies where his name is chanted by thousands and tried to convince one man to vote for him.
"Hello, everybody, how are you?" Obama said, as a handful of reporters and camera crews recorded the event, and many more waited outside.
The restaurant's pie counter immediately caught his attention -- "I'm gettin' some pie, I don't know what you're gonna do" -- and so, of course, did something called the Big O: a double cheeseburger, which Obama ordered to go, with lettuce, tomato and mustard.
He shook hands with a 7-year-old and mentioned his own 7-year-old, Sasha.
He met a woman named Kayla and said, "I almost named my daughter Kayla."
He introduced himself to Pat and Don McElroy, who were having an early dinner for their anniversary. Don told Obama that he generally does what his wife tells him to do, and the Illinois senator laughed and said he does the same. "Whatever she tells me to do, I do that," said the man who would be president. "That's why we've been married 15 years.''
He posed for a photo with a little boy with big ears, and remarked on his own prominent lobes.
"We got the same ears," Obama told the boy. "We got power in 'em."
After employees told him that their boss was a diehard Republican, Obama sought him out.
"What you're going to do is you're going to decide for the first time in your life to vote Democratic," Obama told Fireside's owner William Seip. "You're you're going to vote me into office.
"I'm serious, you think about it -- who's been in charge these past 8 years?"
Seip: "The Republicans."
Obama: "How's it going so far?"
Seip: "Down the drain."
"Well, why wouldn't you want to just try something new for a while?" Obama asked. "If you keep on hitting your head against the wall and nothing happens, you might just think to yourself, 'Well, let me just try it out. Democrats can't do any worse. They might do better.' So you think about that."
Obama's order was ready, and far down the road, thousands were waiting for another Obama rally. In the parking lot there were three buses, and a half-dozen SUVs and the Secret Service and a squad of motorcycle cops, waiting to ferry the candidate away.
Seip did not tell reporters how he would vote. "You never know," he said.
Posted at 6:31 AM ET on Oct 10, 2008  | Category:  Barack Obama

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2008/10/10/at_rural_cafe_obama_campaigns.html
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 00:00:58 (permalink)

This is a composite photo representing a visit we made to New Orleans To Go in Springdale on October 30, 2008.

It features part of their menu board and  the owners with one of their kids and yours truly.

We ate wonderful oyster po' boys, seafood chowder, red beans and rice, cornbread, fried okra etc.

Eating at this establishment is such a joy.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/07/18 00:02:35
brittneal
  • Total Posts : 1265
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 06:34:03 (permalink)

I didnt know the http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/ was a chain.  We went to the one on 725 in centerville out past the Mall.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 12:23:07 (permalink)
brittneal

I didnt know the http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/ was a chain.  We went to the one on 725 in centerville out past the Mall.
What did you eat and how did you like the food?

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8364
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 12:54:13 (permalink)
Its funny, I didnt know The Original Pancake House was a chain, either. We have eaten at our local establishment a couple of times, and was quite impressed.I have had the apple pancake, which was rich and deliscious.I have also just had eggs and bacon with pancakes and was equally as pleasing.Thanks for your report NY-I enjoyed it!
stricken_detective
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 16:10:17 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

I am sort of a pancake nut - aside from a pizza nut - and I love my pancakes - the ones I make and the ones I may eat out on occasion - I have found none better in restaurants than at the Original Pancake House - I used to think a lot of the IHOP pancakes - back before they closed all their stores in our area - since IHOP reopened I think their pancakes are a pale shadow of what they once were - as is IHOP as a whole.

I've still never eaten there. George Webb's makes a good pancake here. I've heard good things about OPH, maybe this fall. We do have one here.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 16:24:08 (permalink)
annpeeples

Its funny, I didnt know The Original Pancake House was a chain, either. We have eaten at our local establishment a couple of times, and was quite impressed.I have had the apple pancake, which was rich and deliscious.I have also just had eggs and bacon with pancakes and was equally as pleasing.Thanks for your report NY-I enjoyed it!
Which report? 

My wife loves their huge apple pancake too - she gets it most everytime we go there - which is seldom unfortunately now as we are about 60 miles away  in the boonies from their closest location in Cinci.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 16:38:15 (permalink)
stricken_detective

NYPIzzaNut

I've still never eaten there. George Webb's makes a good pancake here. I've heard good things about OPH, maybe this fall. We do have one here.
Not mentioned but of note also is the fact they make a special effort to hire waiters and other employees with physical disabilities.  That really impressed me.

ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8364
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 17:03:37 (permalink)
Which report? All of them where you ate....are you kidding?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/18 17:09:04 (permalink)
No I was just a wee bit confused.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/19 21:39:40 (permalink)

Still Smokin' Barbeque is located at 2280 Hales Way in Williamsburg, OH.

If you are coming east on State Route 32 out of Eastgate it is just before the city limits of Mt. Orab. You turn right on Eastwood at the light and make an almost immediate left turn onto Hales Way and go to the very end past some blue warehouse type looking buildings and a gas station and they are sitting to the left in their cute little log cabin trailer.

Their food is great.   A fresh new brisket is generally available at just before 5 PM and it is scrumptious.  They are here for the summer only and open on Thursday - Saturday from 11 am - 7 pm and Sundays from 12 - 6 PM.

Lee Myers is the Pitmaster and his phone number is 513 546 4810.

They also do catering special events also.

The have pork chops, pulled pork and chicken, smoked brisket,  St Louis style ribs and Baby Back ribs.

Sides include cole slaw, Baked pork  and beans, potato salad, mac and cheese and cornbread loaves.

They have a large picnic table under a sturdy canopy to eat there but much of their biz is takeout.

Our lunchbunch group has picked up food there several times and it has been most enjoyable.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 248
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/19 21:50:07 (permalink)
donw9876

Pizza nut, did that "Mai Thai" used to be called "Delight"? The address matches. It used to get good reviews.

Sorry for the late reply on this, but...yes, Mai Thai is in the former Delight Thai Cafe location. My wife works just south of there. We went to Delight on a couple of occasions and enjoyed it, but we have not been since the switch.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/07/21 19:52:28 (permalink)
Had lunch at Song Long Vietnamese Restaurant today.  One of the sons of the owner who was our waiter told me his mom and dad - the owners and cooks - will be retiring in 3 or 4 years and they will close the place at that time as none of the children in their large family is planning to continue the business.  One of their female siblings cooked there at one time but has moved away.

This is terrible news as I think this restaurant is very special and probably makes the best authentic Vietnamese cuisine in SW Ohio, and I hate to see it gone.

The father came over from Vietnam in 1975 when we bailed out of the war and brought his entire family over with him - I believe they have 11 children but unfortunately one of them was killed in an auto accident on I-75 a few years ago.  They started the restaurant 25 years ago.

The dad was a colonel in the ARVN - the South Vietnamese army.

So get your fix of their food before they pull the plug.

I shot some photos which I will be posting soon.

On the way home I took a look at a new authentic Mexican restaurant going in where the Royal Buffet used to be, in Mt Orab.

I will also post some photos of the storefront and owner and new beautiful murals just finished.

They have a location now in Maysville and this will be their second location - the name will be the same - Mi Camino Real.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/07/21 19:55:00
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 30
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1