Hot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 30
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/03 19:36:18 (permalink)
Anyone been to the Korea House at Harper's Point?
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 250
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/03 21:29:47 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
 Anyone been to the Korea House at Harper's Point?

Several times, since my wife works in that immediate area. The owner always recognizes us since we were there opening night (quite by accident, as we thought they had been open several weeks at that point), and she is always very gracious. We have not had a bad meal yet, although service/attentiveness has been spotty on more than one occasion (including opening night, but I don't hold that one against them). Favorite entrees include dolsot bibim bap, jap chae, beef kai-bi, and beef bulgogi, and I like their kimchi as well. (You get at least six "appetizers" with dinner, and kimchi is always one of them.) They also have a very good sushi bar, if you are into that sort of thing.

We have never been at lunch, so I have no idea how the lunch portions compare, but I find their dinners to be perfectly proportioned. Their Web site is www.koreahousecincy.com

I cannot compare it to Riverside as I (still) have not been.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/03 23:45:31 (permalink)
We may do lunch there soon but might order off their dinner menu as it looks so much more appetizing and the choices are so varied...I believe we did that at  Riverside also..thanks for you comments..
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/04 07:37:57 (permalink)
Not a problem. I should also point out that, while the dolsot bibim bap and "plain" bibim bap share the same ingredients, there is somehow a considerable difference between the two since the former is served in a hot stone bowl. I cheaped out once and went with the plain, and though it was still good, I would never do it again. The hot stone bowl is well worth the additional couple of bucks.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/06 09:37:45 (permalink)
I am with you on that.
kaki
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/07 10:25:59 (permalink)
I have a nephew coming to visit from Germany and he is a vegetarian. Can anyone suggest places with really good vegetable offerings? I noticed that he liked a Chinese buffet in Germany --any decent buffets--I know they are usually awful. I would really like  to show him and his mother and aunt some roadfood specials, but since he has aspergers, he is really limited in food choices. Any help would be great!
dlawson
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/08 21:35:51 (permalink)
As far as Chinese buffets go, I have seen several recommendations here for Kyojin on Fields Ertel, but I personally am not a fan of the place. Shanghai Mama's downtown has been my go-to "Chinese place" for over ten years now, and the majority of their noodle and rice bowls are vegetarian by default.

You might also consider Melt in Northside: www.meltcincy.com
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/10 10:09:44 (permalink)
Looks like Der Dutchman in Waynesville this week - PA peaches are in and they make wonderful baked and fresh peach pies.
RantoulDavis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/11 15:05:47 (permalink)
KahnsKrazy

RantoulDavis

dlawson

They were the only place I found locally that had Bell's Batch 9000 on draught, for one. Their selection appears to rotate frequently, except for the usual "pub" constants like Guinness, Harp, Smithwick's, Boddington's...

You might also consider a trip to The Comet in Northside, if you've never been.

Batch 9000 on draft?   My, my, that's totally illegal!!  Not that retailers and distributors don't occasionally ignore the rules.  Batch 9K at 12.2%abv was not generally available in Ohio.  Love the Comet but haven't been there for a couple of years.  Sorry for the delayed response.  Been having a number of workstation issues of late.

I thought Ohio did away with the ABV restrictions a few years ago.  I thought anything about 12% was defined as "liquor" and not beer, and subject to the same rules and licensing as liquor.

Actually what they did a few years ago was change the limit for beers.  It went from 6% abw (about 7.5%abv) to 12%abv for beer.  If it's beer and it's over 12%abv it's illegal in Ohio.  Occasionally some stuff slips thru the cracks but in general that's the rule.
RantoulDavis
Junior Burger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/11 15:11:35 (permalink)
KahnsKrazy

dlawson

KahnsKrazy
I thought Ohio did away with the ABV restrictions a few years ago.  I thought anything about 12% was defined as "liquor" and not beer, and subject to the same rules and licensing as liquor. 

I have not seen or heard anything to this effect, and a quick Google search comes up with several sources that mention the 12% cap is still in effect. At any rate, Batch 9000 was definitely on their beer list, not their liquor list.

12% is the legal limit for a product to be called "beer", but a product made with barley and hops can still be legal, just subject to the same conditions as other spritous liquor.  It's certainly possible that rules were broken along the distribution channel, but the mere existence of Batch 9000 on tap - or even on the menu under "beer" is not evidence of a law being broken, per se.

I don't think that is true.  The fact is Bell's Batch 9K is beer.  And beer over 12%abv cannot be sold.  I talked to retailers about getting some and it was not happening.  Wo while it's a silly rule it's still the rule.  It made sense when we had different age limits like back when it was 18 for low beer, then 18 for beer, then 19 for beer and wine, but since it's been 21 for everything the limits don't make sense.  But they are on the books.
RantoulDavis
Junior Burger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/11 15:15:42 (permalink)
Glad y'all could make it to CJ's and even more glad that y'all enjoyed!  I still haven't been back.  I was in Chicago for two weeks, the Outer Banks for a week and just spent last weekend in Memphis, TN and Clarksdale, Mississippi enjoying some fine food and music!  CJ's does need to promote themself a little more.  My wife picked up a chicken a couple weeks ago and was disappointed to get it home and find it rare!  Hopefully that was just them working out the kinks.  I've driven by a few times and the parking lot is sparse.  Next time I go down there I'll mention the need for more prominent signage.  Almost went today but took a look at the budget and realized I need to lunch at home :-(
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/12 18:22:32 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Looks like Der Dutchman in Waynesville this week - PA peaches are in and they make wonderful baked and fresh peach pies.
We had lunch there today - the buffet - which has been expanded - they changed the crust on the fried chicken - much lighter and less greasy and much more flavor - simply the best fried chicken I have ever eaten.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/13 20:49:59 (permalink)
RantoulDavis

Glad y'all could make it to CJ's and even more glad that y'all enjoyed!  I still haven't been back.  I was in Chicago for two weeks, the Outer Banks for a week and just spent last weekend in Memphis, TN and Clarksdale, Mississippi enjoying some fine food and music!  CJ's does need to promote themself a little more.  My wife picked up a chicken a couple weeks ago and was disappointed to get it home and find it rare!  Hopefully that was just them working out the kinks.  I've driven by a few times and the parking lot is sparse.  Next time I go down there I'll mention the need for more prominent signage.  Almost went today but took a look at the budget and realized I need to lunch at home :-(
Here is their revised menu as it appears on their facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000465362502#!/pages/Yellow-Springs-OH/CJs-Southern-Cookin/142702789075308?__a=5&ajaxpipe=1

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/16 12:16:17 (permalink)
dlawson

As far as Chinese buffets go, I have seen several recommendations here for Kyojin on Fields Ertel, but I personally am not a fan of the place. Shanghai Mama's downtown has been my go-to "Chinese place" for over ten years now, and the majority of their noodle and rice bowls are vegetarian by default.

You might also consider Melt in Northside: www.meltcincy.com

My favorite is China Buffet at Eastgate.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 539
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/18 15:54:26 (permalink)
In the Cincinnati area, I like China Town in Milford the best.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/08/18 21:36:19 (permalink)
Bonk

Are there some dishes you enjoy more than others?
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5215
Re:Interesting soap opera in Lebanon - "Silver Street BBQ" 2010/08/30 11:08:26 (permalink)
donw9876

A barbecue restaurant has been under construction since late spring in the former location of Wild Bill's and Mighty Casey's, called "Silver Street BBQ". There has been a sign in the window for months but no apparent activity. Apparently it is now open but is headed for self destruction.

This:

http://localriders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15674

and this:

http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/showthread.php?7570-Hey-Catman....What-happened

It seems like everyone involved is a biker and mainly the place has been promoted to other bikers. No coverage in the local news.

I found this (warning, is loaded with several negative comments by the same guy):

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1538124/restaurant/Cincinnati/Silver-Street-BBQ-Grill-Lebanon

Maybe BBQ Revue should open a branch in Lebanon?

If it's still around in September we may try it... if the *independent* reviews indicate that it's ok.

I ate at Silver Street with some friends over the weekend and the reviews were mixed at best.  Greg from Texas thought his sliced brisket was lacking in flavor and Chris from Arkansas felt his ribs were "2 hours" overdone, while I found the pulled pork a little bland but my brisket was better.  However, the brisket I received wasn't in slices but rather bits and pieces and somewhat fatty, which makes me think I might've received more meat from the point than the flat.  Flavor and smoke-wise it was better than the pork and I don't mind a little fat, so it was OK with me.  The beans weren't bad but as they cooled they got a little pasty, and the macaroni and cheese was OK but nothing special.

We also had a Canadian with us and he ate his ribs with a knife and fork.

While I wouldn't say I wouldn't go back there, I think there's definitely room for improvement and hopefully with a little more time they'll get the growing pains straightened out.

My plate.  Brisket front and pork back:

Brad
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:Interesting soap opera in Lebanon - "Silver Street BBQ" 2010/08/31 19:22:39 (permalink)
so was down in Mt Orab doing some work with the family in tow since i only had a 1 stop. She talked me into stopping at Butterbee's in Mt Orab.
  I went in fully thinking it will be the normal TGI O' Hannerhans.
 I went safe and got a burger and the wife got the tenders since it was buck a tender day.
  The tenders must be breaded on site. Turned out to be really good tenders not the frozen prebreaded crud I figured would come out.  Big, juicy and on the plus side actually pretty darn good.
 The burger was another surpise. IT was huge and pretty flavorful. I am leaning taword it being a fresh patty. Was big and deformed. It may be because I figured it was another middle of the road chain rip off, and I got a nice surprise. I actually rate it pretty good. I give it a 8 out of 10 for the burgers and tenders alone. I am planing on hitting the place saturday when my mom comes down to give it another go. The sides are your standard appleMccharlie sides. Yet the burger and tenders are a cut above the standard chain fair.
  Now the rest of the menu could be total garbage. so dont hold me to it lol.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Interesting soap opera in Lebanon - "Silver Street BBQ" 2010/09/01 01:50:18 (permalink)
baughman

so was down in Mt Orab doing some work with the family in tow since i only had a 1 stop. She talked me into stopping at Butterbee's in Mt Orab.
I went in fully thinking it will be the normal TGI O' Hannerhans.
I went safe and got a burger and the wife got the tenders since it was buck a tender day.
The tenders must be breaded on site. Turned out to be really good tenders not the frozen prebreaded crud I figured would come out.  Big, juicy and on the plus side actually pretty darn good.
The burger was another surpise. IT was huge and pretty flavorful. I am leaning taword it being a fresh patty. Was big and deformed. It may be because I figured it was another middle of the road chain rip off, and I got a nice surprise. I actually rate it pretty good. I give it a 8 out of 10 for the burgers and tenders alone. I am planing on hitting the place saturday when my mom comes down to give it another go. The sides are your standard appleMccharlie sides. Yet the burger and tenders are a cut above the standard chain fair.
Now the rest of the menu could be total garbage. so dont hold me to it lol.

Considering the name, I was pleasantly surprised when I went to the Beechmont location as well.

Weird thing was the service almost too fast. Getting the main course while the appetizer isn't even half gone is something that's never bothered me, but I know some people can't stand when that happens.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/01 01:58:57 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Bonk

Are there some dishes you enjoy more than others?

I really like the frog legs, something I'd only tried a couple of times elsewhere but found unexceptional. Other than that, most of the foods are the standard Chinese buffet fare, just a little better quality IMHO.

They also have this unusual but delicious dish I can only describe as half-pot pie, half-Philly cheesesteak. It's steak, cheese and peppers topped with philo dough.

post edited by Bonk - 2010/09/01 02:00:19
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/06 13:13:29 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/10 11:40:20 (permalink)
We did a reprise visit to Little Saigon in Kettering yesterday - still as good as ever except they do not put lemon grass in their beef and meatball soups, which I am used to as my favorite beef soup still is at Song Long in Roselawn - which will be closing before due to the colonel and his spouse retiring.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2010/09/12 09:33:34
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/10 11:41:50 (permalink)
We were set to go to Taqueria Mixteca on E 3d St in Dayton but had to pass on it as they are not handicap accessible we came to find out.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/12 09:32:41 (permalink)
I noticed the past two weeks that Stacey's Buffet in Wilmington was closed - I just learned they had a fire (did not see any structural damage) - no idea when they will be reopening.
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/12 19:01:09 (permalink)
was wondering the same. I drive by it when I have to work in Columbus. I saw the doors boarded and they had a huge trashben next to the back door. I had thought they closed shop and were removing stuff. Not sure if its nicer there was a fire. Seems they will make a come back tho. I never really enjoyed the place tho. It is cheap, and the chicken was ok. Beyond that not a huge choice of items.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/13 08:08:35 (permalink)
I am very fond of Stacey's and particularly their fried chicken - I think their offerings are vast and far beyond this mere mortal's capability of sampling more than a few at each visit.  I cannot wait til they reopen!!!!!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/13 08:10:09 (permalink)
Where else can seniors  chow down on a vast buffet for $6 a head at lunchtime??
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/14 10:53:21 (permalink)
Here is a newpaper article concerning the fire at Stacey's Buffet:

http://www.wnewsj.com/main.asp?SectionID=49&SubSectionID=156&ArticleID=186074
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/09/23 07:50:22 (permalink)
Today our group will be in Mt. Orab doing a reprise visit to Mi Camino Real Mexican Restaurant at Rt 68/Rt 32.

The real highlight of the day though will be the  cider at A & M Farm Orchard on Rt 251 just off of Rt 68 though - they just started pressing this week - I had some at the Veterans Home in Georgetown earlier this week,  that a volunteer brought in from Seller's Orchard in Marshall, which is 10 miles  outside of Hillsboro on Rt 124 - it is equal to or better than A & M Farms cider, which is superb!
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2010/09/23 07:51:55
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/14 10:34:34 (permalink)
der Dutchman's Waynesville location suffered a serious fire yesterday:
http://newstalkradiowhio.com/localnews/2010/10/cost-estimate-of-damage-for-de.html

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 21 of 30
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1