Hot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 30
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3151
baughman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/29 16:33:32 (permalink)
mama's grill in williamsburg, anyone eaten there? I drive by it several times a month for work. Was wondering if its any good. Finding very few reviews. I am worried tho that it lists 200 items on the menu?
  Also does the restaurant in Lake Waynoka still serve good fried chicken? In there a few times a month for work also. Can you eat there if not a resident, or eating with a resident? The quest for good fried chicken on the east side of cinci still goes on.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/29 17:54:33 (permalink)
baughman

mama's grill in williamsburg, anyone eaten there? I drive by it several times a month for work. Was wondering if its any good. Finding very few reviews. I am worried tho that it lists 200 items on the menu?
Also does the restaurant in Lake Waynoka still serve good fried chicken? In there a few times a month for work also. Can you eat there if not a resident, or eating with a resident? The quest for good fried chicken on the east side of cinci still goes on.
I had the world's worst gyro at Mama's  a few years ago.  Do not remember what the spouse had but it was also terrible.

Lake Waynoka Restaurant closes for the season on Sunday - heading over there right now for their wonderful fried chicken. Anyone can eat there if they have business or pleasure here.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/29 17:59:03 (permalink)
The fried chicken at the Country Inn and Lake Manor Restaurants in Mt Orab is pretty good.
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 546
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/30 04:33:14 (permalink)
baughman

Have you tried Campbell's Barn in Amelia? About the best I've had in the city.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/30 14:01:51 (permalink)
Bonk

baughman

Have you tried Campbell's Barn in Amelia? About the best I've had in the city.
Have you been there lately?  Our lunch group ate there in February this year and the chicken was not so hot. See post 465 here for our report on the place, and photos.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2010/10/30 14:53:31
baughman
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/30 20:43:39 (permalink)
since the older guy isnt in the kitchen anymore at Campbells, the chicken has gone down hill. Not sure if it was him or just a change in the kitchen, but the last cpl times we have been there the chicken hasnt been as good.  Country kitchen has been good. As well as the Old Y.  Just nothing amazing. Old Y is prob my fav at this moment.
  Sadly I really miss the fried chicken at the IGA here in Blanchester. It closed down and a Save alot went in. There Fried Chicken is completely hit or miss. Some days its as good as IGA, other times It is complete crud.
  Lucky for me I have a contract for SE Ohio agian, so I can start hitting Millers Chicken in Athens again. Also the cool spot gas station in Tuppers Plains has pretty good chicken also.
  Is the drive up to dayton to eat chicken at The Hasty Tasty worth the trip? Been trying to talk the wife and kids into a trip up there.

Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/31 14:54:42 (permalink)
Man, I missed those posts, which is surprising because I've followed this thread pretty closely. I couldn't put a finger on when exactly I was there last but I'm sure we've been there since January when you went.

That sucks you had such a bad experience. I'll definitely give it another shot but if we're as disappointed as you were, we won't be back. 

TJ - have you been back to Campbell's recently, and if so, was the food sub-par when you went?
post edited by Bonk - 2010/10/31 14:57:36
Bonk
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/31 15:07:33 (permalink)
baughman

since the older guy isnt in the kitchen anymore at Campbells, the chicken has gone down hill. Not sure if it was him or just a change in the kitchen, but the last cpl times we have been there the chicken hasnt been as good.  Country kitchen has been good. As well as the Old Y.  Just nothing amazing. Old Y is prob my fav at this moment.
Sadly I really miss the fried chicken at the IGA here in Blanchester. It closed down and a Save alot went in. There Fried Chicken is completely hit or miss. Some days its as good as IGA, other times It is complete crud.
Lucky for me I have a contract for SE Ohio agian, so I can start hitting Millers Chicken in Athens again. Also the cool spot gas station in Tuppers Plains has pretty good chicken also.
Is the drive up to dayton to eat chicken at The Hasty Tasty worth the trip? Been trying to talk the wife and kids into a trip up there.

What's Old Y? Don't see it mentioned in the past few pages.

baughman
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/31 15:38:19 (permalink)
Its a restuarant thats sits pretty much out in the middle of nothing. close to the corner of 321 and 62 in winchester ohio. Fried chicken is pretty good. Plus they have a good amount of homemade pies.  If you like pie its worth the trip.  Its pretty standard country food beyond the chicken and pies.
  Family started eating there when my youngest daughter was taking gymnastics across the street. Pleasant surpise with the chicken. Its broasted. I normally like a pan fried chicken , hard to find those types of places anymore tho.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/10/31 15:43:40 (permalink)
baughman

Its a restuarant thats sits pretty much out in the middle of nothing. close to the corner of 321 and 62 in winchester ohio. Fried chicken is pretty good. Plus they have a good amount of homemade pies.  If you like pie its worth the trip.  Its pretty standard country food beyond the chicken and pies.
Family started eating there when my youngest daughter was taking gymnastics across the street. Pleasant surpise with the chicken. Its broasted. I normally like a pan fried chicken , hard to find those types of places anymore tho.
Our lunch group has been there a couple of times as well as my spouse and her best friend - I would agree with the comments above.

donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 296
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/01 02:19:42 (permalink)
We finally tried Oleg's Tavern this weekend. I have to say that we were not terribly impressed.

I posted a complete (nit pickingly detailed) review on UrbanSpoon, so I'll summarize here:

Bready, heavy, tasteless food. I got Bavarian style chicken, my wife got the pork chops, and there was no savory element to either.

Limited choices and options.

Lunch options cut off well prior to the published time - we ordered about 12:30 and we could not order omelets or other brunch items.

We wound up ordering (overly large) dinner portions and were not told that lunch portions could be available. The lunch was much more expensive than what I'd expected.

We were the only people in the place when we arrived and only one other couple ate there while we were there.

Overpriced for what we got. Or rather, not right sized.

The owner (who was pictured in NYPizzaNut's shots) served us and cooked for us. He's clearly dedicated to his work. IMO, too dedicated and way too serious, to the extent that I didn't feel comfortable asking questions much less asking why brunch was "the wrong" side of the menu (as he told me when I was about to ask about brunch.)

Whatever the appeal is of the food and this place, I don't get it.
post edited by donw9876 - 2010/11/01 04:03:37
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/02 16:20:56 (permalink)
I haven't been back there since our last Lunchbunch visit - folks on UrbanSpoon seem to like the place.

We really enjoyed the food there on our two visits - his wife is a real sweetheart.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/02 19:53:11 (permalink)
Hard for us to tell. It was desolate this last Saturday when we ate there. The place had a depressing vibe. I felt like we were pushed to order at dinner prices and it was still lunch time. And the food itself wasn't very enjoyable. (I left this out, but my wife's meal did not agree with her at all afterward.)

Overall, it was one of our lousier meals out.
post edited by donw9876 - 2010/11/02 19:56:19
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/03 17:29:27 (permalink)
That is a shame - we must have cast iron stomachs - in 10 years or more of eating out with our lunchbunch I do not recall any of us getting sick from our meals out...
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/03 18:09:49 (permalink)
A mini-review: Today I tried Silver Street BBQ in Lebanon with my brother for lunch.

http://www.facebook.com/p...35464273135544?ref=sgm

We both got the pulled pork sandwich, which comes with Saratoga chips, and I believe it was either 5.99 or 6.99. I added the mac & cheese for 1.99, and my brother added fries to his lunch for .99.

The service was prompt and friendly.

The food itself is meh. The pulled pork is served dry. It had just a trace of smoke flavor, and no burnt ends in evidence. The pork was REALLY dry, to the extent that using the sauces that are provided at the table is necessary to lubricate it.

The chips and the mac and cheese both looked like they had real character... they looked a lot better than they are. The chips were bland. As was the macaroni and cheese. The three table side sauces (sweet and tangy, "slow heat", and another that escapes me) were OK.

Overall: meh.  It's just OK. I'm not ripping it, but I am not praising it, either. Not worth a trip from anywhere distant, if this food is an indication. It's OK if you are in town. It's fairly disappointing if you are expecting richly smoked 'Q with burnt ends and character. City Barbecue's meats are better.

The two meals plus soft drinks was just over $20. A bit expensive, in my opinion, for what you get.
post edited by donw9876 - 2010/11/03 18:11:36
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/03 18:11:05 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut That is a shame - we must have cast iron stomachs - in 10 years or more of eating out with our lunchbunch I do not recall any of us getting sick from our meals out...

I think my wife didn't digest the mushroom gravy on the pork chops that well. I'm not saying that there was anything bad about it, but for me it didn't add much.
dlawson
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 253
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/05 12:42:42 (permalink)
Sadly, but not surprisingly, The Green Plantain on Rt. 4 in Fairfield has closed.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/05 13:16:17 (permalink)
dlawson

Sadly, but not surprisingly, The Green Plantain on Rt. 4 in Fairfield has closed.
What a shame..

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/12 18:39:26 (permalink)
The Cuban place in Fairfield - El Havanero  - is gone too,  and the building is for sale.  Noticed yesterday on the way to Jungle Jim's.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/12 19:57:30 (permalink)
A massive "fail" on PR/damage control - check this out, this is sort of funny in a how badly can you go overboard way:

http://www.urbanspoon.com...reet-BBQ-Grill-Lebanon

Especially check out the remarks posted by "SSBBQ" (the apparent owner of the restaurant), as well as the plethora of users with 1 review in their posting history.

I now see precisely why Yelp has such aggressive content filters and hides reviews: sympathetic shills, and people "on a mission" completely screw up a review page and turn it into garbage, like this one.

Per the guy's threats, I can't wait  for some angry restaurant owner to obtain my IP address from this board, and come to my house and break my legs...
post edited by donw9876 - 2010/11/12 20:33:52
baughman
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/12 20:55:20 (permalink)
wow sounds like someone cant take a bit of criticism. I find restuarants like that tend to fall to the wayside after a bit. If you are not willing to listen to your customers you are doomed to fail.
  I mean I could think I make the best pizza in the world, but if the customers in my area dont like the same type of pizza. I will not make it.
  Did you post the one review on there donw9876? Seems alot of people feel like you do about the place. I have family in the area who have eaten there and feel the same as you. Its ok, thats about it. I guess we all will be part of the lawsuit soon lol
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/12 21:54:25 (permalink)
I posted the "most relevant" ranked one, yes. As I mentioned in this thread here, it's OK, not horrible but just not that good, and expensive.

The guy needs to get off the internet and figure out ways to smoke better meats.
post edited by donw9876 - 2010/11/12 23:10:32
Rabkin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/13 11:18:27 (permalink)
donw9876

The guy needs to get off the internet and figure out ways to smoke better meats.

I, sir, am perturbed that you would feel this way!
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/13 13:23:32 (permalink)
Rabkin I, sir, am perturbed that you would feel this way!

Lol.
Rabkin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 74
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/13 23:36:09 (permalink)
donw9876

Rabkin I, sir, am perturbed that you would feel this way!

Lol.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2010/11/17 16:50:02 (permalink)
Stacey's Buffet on Rt 68 in Wilmington (aka Blake's Buffet) has reopened after their kitchen fire.

Prices are up a bit and selections are down a bit but the food is still pretty good for a buffet, especially the fried chicken.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Interesting soap opera in Lebanon - "Silver Street BBQ" 2010/11/26 14:07:52 (permalink)
baughman

so was down in Mt Orab doing some work with the family in tow since i only had a 1 stop. She talked me into stopping at Butterbee's in Mt Orab.
I went in fully thinking it will be the normal TGI O' Hannerhans.
I went safe and got a burger and the wife got the tenders since it was buck a tender day.
The tenders must be breaded on site. Turned out to be really good tenders not the frozen prebreaded crud I figured would come out.  Big, juicy and on the plus side actually pretty darn good.

The burger was another surpise. IT was huge and pretty flavorful. I am leaning taword it being a fresh patty. Was big and deformed. It may be because I figured it was another middle of the road chain rip off, and I got a nice surprise. I actually rate it pretty good. I give it a 8 out of 10 for the burgers and tenders alone. I am planing on hitting the place saturday when my mom comes down to give it another go. The sides are your standard appleMccharlie sides. Yet the burger and tenders are a cut above the standard chain fair.
Now the rest of the menu could be total garbage. so dont hold me to it lol.
We ate there this past Tuesday - I do not care for sports grills so I guess I am somewhat prejudiced.  Two of us ordered burgers - rare.  They came probably medium at best - chose  not to return  them - they were tasty .  Their prices are ridiculous.  $5.99  for 6 fried pickle sticks; $5.29  for a piece of cobbler.  $9.49 for a pecan touchdown salad. Their bowls of soup are tiny for the price  - $4.29 but decent tasting.  One of us got wings - some were succulent and delicious and others were dried out. $2.29 for a soda or iced tea!!!

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2010/11/26 15:33:52
baughman
Cheeseburger
Re:Interesting soap opera in Lebanon - "Silver Street BBQ" 2010/11/27 23:04:59 (permalink)
der dutchman is closing for good. Just had it on the news. Gift shop will close on dec 30th. Owners plan to sell the land. Sad , sad, day.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
re: Der Dutchman 2010/11/28 02:05:26 (permalink)
baughman
der dutchman is closing for good. Just had it on the news. Gift shop will close on dec 30th. Owners plan to sell the land. Sad , sad, day.

Hopefully - maybe some decent roadfood will open in its place. Not that Der Dutchman wasn't good, but the buffet was much better than a la carte meals.

The reports on the fire said that the original restaurant in that location was a place called "1776". Anyone remember that? I don't. 
Page: << < ..2122232425.. > >> Showing page 22 of 30
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1