Hot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 30
Author
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/09/25 14:00:37 (permalink)
Yesterday our lunchbunch dined at:

http://consumer.discoverohio.com/searchdetails.aspx?detail=58119

I picked up some apple cider beforehand at:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=a+and+m+farm+orchard+midland+oh&fb=1&gl=us&hq=a+and+m+farm+orchard&hnear=midland+oh&view=text&latlng=15125313336757658742

Photograph slide shows and comments to follow.

(A & M Farm Orchard just starting selling their apple cider this week, and it should be available until around Christmas time - it is by far the best tasting apple cider I have ever tasted, and it is consistently excellent from year to year.  A $4 a gallon it is really a bargain.)
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/09/25 14:04:27
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/09/25 14:30:42 (permalink)
Re: Mediterranean Restaurant & Cafe in Wilmington.

I've been really curious about that place. Trip report (brief?) if you can?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/09/25 14:43:36 (permalink)
donw9876

Re: Mediterranean Restaurant & Cafe in Wilmington.

I've been really curious about that place. Trip report (brief?) if you can?

I first spotted the place a couple of years back and went in and looked it over with an eye to handicap accessiblity and to get a take out menu.   At the time the menu stressed both Greek and Italian food.  Nowadays it is mostly Italian as Greek food is not that popular in the area.  The food wa OK but nothing much to write home about except for the delicious home made carrot cake - the Ravioli Alfredo was the best of our entrees.  My lasagna had a burnt or scorched portion on the top noodle and did not have much filling save for ground beef and sauce - if it had ricotta or mozzarrella I could hardly discern it.  Manicotti was OK as was the Eggplant but I think not much effort went into either dish - the manicotti noodles were too firm and the eggplant was too hard.  I would not go back there frankly.

You are offered a choice of either chicken or roast beef on your gyro as the real combo lamb/beef option was deleted as the populace was not interested in it!

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/09/25 14:45:32
donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/09/25 14:53:07 (permalink)
A gyro without lamb? Sheesh. Guess we're talking the core of flyover country.  Let me guess, ranch dressing instead of taziki sauce...

It sounds similar to Grecian Delight in Middletown but not nearly as good. Thanks for the report, it doesn't sound like it's worth a trip.

You might try Beaugard's BBQ in Wilmington next time you're up there. We thought it was OK.
post edited by donw9876 - 2009/09/25 14:54:51
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/09/25 15:01:10 (permalink)
donw9876

A gyro without lamb? Sheesh. Guess we're talking the core of flyover country.  Let me guess, ranch dressing instead of taziki sauce...

It sounds similar to Grecian Delight in Middletown but not nearly as good. Thanks for the report, it doesn't sound like it's worth a trip.

You might try Beaugard's BBQ in Wilmington next time you're up there. We thought it was OK.
None of us partook of the gyro offerings.  We loved the Grecian Delight and have reported on it in the Cinci thread.

We have been to Beaugard's several times - 3 times when the Reverend was running it at the old location and once to the current location across from Blake's/Stacey's Buffet Restaurant.

We all loved it when the Reverend was running the place - now that his son has taken over the cooking we have been disappointed in the food.  None of it is quite the same.  Very sad.

We like the Number One China Buffet very much - they offer some dishes you  do not find elsewhere - the owner and chef is from Hong Kong and he really does a great job with the place.

We also like the Mexican place across the street from Number One.

donw9876
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/09/25 15:06:33 (permalink)
I saw your Grecian Delight review and I agree completely with it.

I'll keep the recommendation for the #1 Buffet in mind, thanks.

I agree with you about Beaugard's, it's not the greatest. I found the sauces quite lacking - basically you have a mild sweet sauce (if I recall) and you have Frank's red hot type. Fountain drinks cost 75 cents to refill, kind of a backward policy. Also, we got slammed with the owner's colorful personality when we went there and ordered, and I just wanted to eat... call me a curmudgeon! Nothing the matter with being friendly but they kinda overdid it.
post edited by donw9876 - 2009/09/25 15:07:35
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/09/25 15:58:03 (permalink)
Here is a photographic slide show visit to A & M Farm Orchard on State Route 251 in Midland Ohio:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Mediterranean%20Restaurant%20and%20Cafe%20Wilmington%20Ohio/A%20and%20M%20Farm%20Orchard%20State%20Route%20251%20Midland%20Ohio/?albumview=slideshow

Apples and cider are at their absolute peak now.  This orchard sits about a mile off of State Route 68 about half way between Mt. Orab and Wilmington.  It is definitely worth a visit - you can freeze their cider for months so you do not have to return weekly for more.  Note their other offerings - I love Watkins Products - much more potent herbs and spices.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/09/25 16:12:11 (permalink)
Here is a slideshow from the Mediterranean Restaurant and Cafe on Main Street (across from the front of the courthouse) in Wilmington:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Mediterranean%20Restaurant%20and%20Cafe%20Wilmington%20Ohio/?albumview=slideshow

They had pizza on the menu but none of us ordered it.

The Antipasto was pretty meager on ingredients unfortunately, for $8.  But it was tasty.

The calamari was OK  but the oil was either well used or it was cooked at too high a temperature as the breading was very dark, with almost a burnt look to it,  and the squid was not tender enough.

We neglected to order soup - they offered pasta fagiole and French Onion soup as I recall - I got too sidetracked trying to get our handicapped member situated I guess.

The garlic bread was really buttered baked bread with mebbe a tiny amount of garlic thrown in - I could not detect any olive oil - the bread was very light weight and not crunchy or chewy - a waste of calories.

As mentioned earlier the eggplant and lasagna were not to my liking at all - the ravioli was pretty tasty - the manicotti was alright but the tubes needs to be cooked more to be tender.  The filling was pretty good ricotta.

The marinara sauce was way too sweet for my liking.

We all loved the carrot cake -  although it was a little harder in texture than I would have liked but it was delicious.

As indicated I would not go back to this place.
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/09/26 13:27:31
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/02 17:40:28 (permalink)
Yesterday we had lunch at Doubleday's Grill and Tavern in Centerville:
http://www.doubledaysgrillandtavern.com/docs/menu.php

View from road of signage on building

Lunchbunch member Willie with their greeter in their entryway

We had an enjoyable meal (no photos of the food are available).  They have lots of special soups offered daily - we partook of the Potato Soup, the Ham and Bean Soup and the Stuffed Pepper Soup - we found them all well prepared and tasty.  For entrees two of us had the mushroom burger (both were ordered rare and we were assured they would be cooked thusly but alas they looked gray in the middle when served to us) - mine came with potato wedges which I found to be wonderful - well cooked and seasoned and really yummy.  One of our members ordered a small 10 inch thin crust pizza (Monster Pizza is a takeout operation adjoining and affiliated with the restaurant and on their menu) - we ordered it with half cheese and half with green and red peppers, onions, and ham.  It was pretty good but looked just like a LaRosa's pie and was cross cut the same way.  The crust was both crunchy and chewy and tasty as was the cheese and sauce and toppings.  I would rate it about half as good as Troni's pizza overall.  The other member of our party had a chicken salad sandwich which I found to be pretty bland. 

For dessert we had apple strudel with cinnamon ice cream and candied pecans, which was very good.

For bar food I think this restaurant is well above average.

Afterwoods I picked up a take out pizza from Troni's in Kettering:

It was extra good and my spouse had five of its eight pieces last night while I had one and we shared the last two pieces this afternoon.

This is their vacation notice sign:

They are doing great business and this is their first closing for vacation since they opened their doors!
What follows are several dishes served up whilst I was awaiting my pie - all of which looked mouth-watering:

..this is their version of a Greek salad

..this is their garlic rolls

..these dishes are their Spaghetti with Meatballs and Lasagna..

My only regret when I get take out there is that I can not take it all home with me!

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/10/02 17:58:36
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/06 16:01:41 (permalink)
Our lunchbunch will not be getting together this week as three of the four members of of the group are out of town.

As a point of interest I found real naan at a local market in Sardinia today!  Just heat and serve.  I was amazed that it was just made  available here (in three varieties) especially since we have  very little diverse ethnic mix in Brown County.  And it is made in Canada, and is being distributed by one of our smaller supermarket chains (Martin's Supervalu), under the  Culinary Circle brand label:

http://www.culinarycircle.com/servlets/productDetails?productId=152&categoryId=22
 http://www.culinarycircle.com/

Have you seen it yet in any of your super markets?
post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/10/06 16:31:07
jmckee
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1188
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/07 10:33:33 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=a+and+m+farm+orchard+midland+oh&fb=1&gl=us&hq=a+and+m+farm+orchard&hnear=midland+oh&view=text&latlng=15125313336757658742

(A & M Farm Orchard just starting selling their apple cider this week, and it should be available until around Christmas time - it is by far the best tasting apple cider I have ever tasted, and it is consistently excellent from year to year.  A $4 a gallon it is really a bargain.)

I worked down 251 from A&M for six and a half years at Chatfield College. They were -- and still are -- my go-to for apples and cider. Rousters is good too, but you can't beat the scenery at A&M.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/07 11:51:03 (permalink)
jmckee

NYPIzzaNut

I worked down 251 from A&M for six and a half years at Chatfield College. They were -- and still are -- my go-to for apples and cider. Rousters is good too, but you can't beat the scenery at A&M.

We have had Rouster's also  and we used to go there when we lived in Cinci but since we have been in Brown County we go to A & M - they are also a bit more reasonable on their by the case PA peaches in season than Rouster's - I have never had better peaches than these PA peaches they sell in late summer yearly.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/07 12:49:30 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Our lunchbunch will not be getting together this week as three of the four members of of the group are out of town.

As a point of interest I found real naan at a local market in Sardinia today!  Just heat and serve.  I was amazed that it was just made  available here (in three varieties) especially since we have  very little diverse ethnic mix in Brown County.  And it is made in Canada, and is being distributed by one of our smaller supermarket chains (Martin's Supervalu), under the  Culinary Circle brand label:

http://www.culinarycircle.com/servlets/productDetails?productId=152&categoryId=22
http://www.culinarycircle.com/

Have you seen it yet in any of your super markets?

I heated the  the naan on the grill last night and in the oven this morning and it was exceptionally delicious - as good as the great naan you get in Indian restaurants - I will be buying it regularly - it is also available at all Biggs stores.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/07 14:14:19 (permalink)
My favorite Chinese take out restaurant is Dragon City Kitchen:

http://dine.com/restaurants/rid/163926/index.html

They have several locations around Cincinnati and environs but I have always frequented their North Bend and Vine Street locations.

I love Pad Thai and Singapore Mai Fun and they do both dishes superbly.

One of the big problems I find with Pad Thai at Thai restaurants is that it is always too sweet for my taste.

Dragon City does it to perfectly to suit my taste buds - spicy and succulent and delicious always.  Just like their Mai Fun.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/13 20:24:30 (permalink)
Still Smokin' Barbeque in Mt Orab just off Rt 32 will be open through the last weekend in this month.  This past Saturday I picked up some brisket, pulled pork and a half chicken.  This was the first time I tried their chicken - the wife and I had it as soon as I got home - it is cooked on their rotisserie and was very juicy and tasty and did not even require sauce.

I snapped some photos of the order area and cooker and signs which follow below:
(click each photo to enlarge - click a second time to further enlarge it)

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/10/13 20:37:01
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/13 22:20:15 (permalink)
I ate at Sopranos in Kettering over the weekend ( http://www.sopranoskettering.com/ ).  The atmosphere was cozy, if a bit pretentious and obvious (Hello, pictures of Don Vito Corleone and, yes, Tony Soprano), not to mention overly sports-bar-like.  The menu offerings were a tad pedestrian, especially considering that it's a non-chain establishment.  In addition, they were (in my opinion, of course) fairly egregiously overpriced (with the pasta dishes predictably being the worst offenders), especially considering the modest portions served (I had the Pappardelle Del Mar, complete with scant offerings of rubbery calamari and scallops, though the shrimp was cooked fairly well, but was just as scant).  The service was adequate, if a bit odd (our original server had to leave suddenly due to an emergency, we were abruptly informed by his replacement; I do hope everything turned out all right).  Oh, almost forgot: we were served complimentary garlic twists before our meal proper that were dry, largely flavorless pale imitations of the far, far superior Troni's version of the same thing.  Also, the dressing I ordered with my salad was "Caesar", yet I was served some oily, bottled monstrosity that was indistinguishable from cheap bottled "Italian".  For dessert we partook of the turtle cheesecake, which was light and fluffy, and easily the best thing I had all evening.

So, would I return?  Eh, maybe, if literally every other option was played out, but, really, not very likely.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/14 12:08:58 (permalink)
Captain Howdy

I ate at Sopranos in Kettering over the weekend ( http://www.sopranoskettering.com/ ).  The atmosphere was cozy, if a bit pretentious and obvious (Hello, pictures of Don Vito Corleone and, yes, Tony Soprano), not to mention overly sports-bar-like.  The menu offerings were a tad pedestrian, especially considering that it's a non-chain establishment.  In addition, they were (in my opinion, of course) fairly egregiously overpriced (with the pasta dishes predictably being the worst offenders), especially considering the modest portions served (I had the Pappardelle Del Mar, complete with scant offerings of rubbery calamari and scallops, though the shrimp was cooked fairly well, but was just as scant).  The service was adequate, if a bit odd (our original server had to leave suddenly due to an emergency, we were abruptly informed by his replacement; I do hope everything turned out all right).  Oh, almost forgot: we were served complimentary garlic twists before our meal proper that were dry, largely flavorless pale imitations of the far, far superior Troni's version of the same thing.  Also, the dressing I ordered with my salad was "Caesar", yet I was served some oily, bottled monstrosity that was indistinguishable from cheap bottled "Italian".  For dessert we partook of the turtle cheesecake, which was light and fluffy, and easily the best thing I had all evening.

So, would I return?  Eh, maybe, if literally every other option was played out, but, really, not very likely.
That is about the way I feel about the place also.

Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/14 13:53:31 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Captain Howdy

Glad I'm not the only one.  So, in your opinion, who in the Dayton/Middletown/Cincy area serves up the best non-chain Italian food?  Because, aside from a few really good pizzas, I don't believe I've truly ever tasted exceptional Italian cuisine.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/14 13:55:26 (permalink)
Oh, and by "Italian food", I don't mean only southern Italian food, pasta, etc.  I'm interested in all types of Italian cuisine.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/14 14:10:14 (permalink)
Captain Howdy

NYPIzzaNut

Captain Howdy

Glad I'm not the only one.  So, in your opinion, who in the Dayton/Middletown/Cincy area serves up the best non-chain Italian food?  Because, aside from a few really good pizzas, I don't believe I've truly ever tasted exceptional Italian cuisine.
The best tasting lasagna I have had in ages was found at:

http://20brix.com/padrino/

Our lunchbunch ate there almost a year ago I believe and we reported on it in the Cinci thread.

I think all the Italian food at Troni's is pretty good but I generally get their pizzas because they resemble NY pizzas the most in the whole SW Ohio area.

We used to go to Schiavone's in Middletown for some of the best Italian food in the area but they sold out last year to Eachie's:

http://www.schiavones.com/

I have no idea how the new owners are handling the restaurant - does anyone?

Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/14 14:28:49 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Captain Howdy

NYPIzzaNut

Captain Howdy

The best tasting lasagna I have had in ages was found at:

http://20brix.com/padrino/

Our lunchbunch ate there almost a year ago I believe and we reported on it in the Cinci thread.

I think all the Italian food at Troni's is pretty good but I generally get their pizzas because they resemble NY pizzas the most in the whole SW Ohio area.

We used to go to Schiavone's in Middletown for some of the best Italian food in the area but they sold out last year to Eachie's:

http://www.schiavones.com/

I have no idea how the new owners are handling the restaurant - does anyone?

Thanks for the reply.  I'm now hankering for some loaded parmesan fries and some lasagna from Padrino's! 

As far as Schiavone's is concerned, even though I live in Middletown, it's been twenty years since I've eaten at the restaurant (I do purchase their canned sauces periodically).  I was actually under the impression that it had closed for good.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/18 10:19:48 (permalink)
This past Thursday we revisited one of our favorites - New Orleans To Go in Springdale - near the Tri County Mall.  NOTG has a new website:

http://www.neworleanstogopoboys.com/

Some photos from the visit:

Red Beans & Rice wit Grilled Smoked Sausage.................

Seafood Chowder

Fried Okra with Half a large Oyster Po' Boy

Owner with her latest award

As usual the food was excellent and the experience was most pleasant!

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
New Orleans To Go 2009/10/18 16:19:27 (permalink)
Here are closeups of the okra and oyster po' boy,  that give a much clearer picture of these wonders:

Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:New Orleans To Go 2009/10/18 18:25:32 (permalink)
That looks quite delicious, NYPIzzaNut!  We'll be dining both here and Five Guys (the Centerville location, which opens tomorrow) for the first time next weekend.  Should be a rather exciting weekend, from a culinary point of view (heh, like there's any other).
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:New Orleans To Go 2009/10/18 18:28:13 (permalink)
Captain Howdy

That looks quite delicious, NYPIzzaNut!  We'll be dining both here and Five Guys (the Centerville location, which opens tomorrow) for the first time next weekend.  Should be a rather exciting weekend, from a culinary point of view (heh, like there's any other).

Be sure and do it Saturday (12 pm - 8:30 PM) as they are closed on Sundays.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:New Orleans To Go 2009/10/18 19:58:57 (permalink)
Here is their menu:

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/10/20 10:30:55 (permalink)
http://www.woeismefood.com/

We serve the finest Carolina style barbecue meats and traditional side dishes, right down to the sweet tea and sweet potato pie.   
With good food and good friends, we don't need much else!

We have just added a new location.  You can now find us Monday-Friday 11 am -7:30 pm in Eastgate at the corner of Kennedy's Landing & Glen Este Withamsville Road.  This may just become the location of our first actual restaurant. 
Come on out & visit a while!

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/10/20 10:42:30
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/10/20 10:40:52 (permalink)
I noticed this Carolina BBQ mobile trailer the week before last.

My Paris TN lunchbunch partner has visited their location at Findlay Market and did not like their food at all.

I sampled several items including their pulled pork and  spicy cabbage and did not care for them.

They are located where Here Piggy Piggy had first set up shop in the parking lot and are thinking of  remodeling  the store that Here Piggy Piggy occupied, at the far left of the strip center there (they have to put in duct work and all that goes with it as the prior owner got by without a stove.)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/10/23 14:13:52 (permalink)
Our lunchbunch ate at a relatively new Mexican restaurant in Georgetown yesterday, by the name of Mi Casa Real.

I learned it is owned by the same family who has a Mexican restaurant in Maysville (Mi Camino Real) and is the same one opening up shortly in Mt Orab under that name as previously mentioned here by me.

Their food was very well prepared and tasty although they do not offer any real Mexican specialties like you find at places like Taqueria Mercado in Fairfield.

I was told by one of the partners  that the Mt Orab menu will have some specialty dishes though and will be open within 10 days or so.

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/10/23 14:15:19 (permalink)
On another positive note tomorrow is the last day of vacation for Troni's Pizza in Kettering!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 6 of 30
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1