The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 30, messages 181 to 210 of 878
Captain Howdy

• Total Posts: 59
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Fri, 10/23/09 8:05 PM (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

On another positive note tomorrow is the last day of vacation for Troni's Pizza in Kettering!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank the maker!

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
    Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sat, 10/24/09 10:33 PM (permalink)
    Our lunchbunch ate at this place a while back.  It has a Mexican grocery connected to it in back and you park on Monmouth or behind the place (the old Sylvia's Mexican Restaurant is just across from the parking lot in back).

I wanted to post this review I ran across as it gives  you a good idea of what this real authentic Mexican restaurant has to offer:

http://www.thefoodhussy.com/2009/05/la-mexicana-newports-hidden-treasure.html

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 10/25/09 11:21 AM (permalink)
      I ran across this piece about New York City pizza this morning and thought some here might enjoy it:

http://www.concretethoughts.com/?p=417

[It begins thusly..]
      Thursday, March 19th, 2009

New York City Pizza: The Real Thing

By Ryan Holladay

My first six months in New York I ate very little besides pizza.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
        Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 10/25/09 1:47 PM (permalink)
        NYPIzzaNut

I ran across this piece about New York City pizza this morning and thought some here might enjoy it:

http://www.concretethoughts.com/?p=417

[It begins thusly..]
        Thursday, March 19th, 2009

New York City Pizza: The Real Thing

By Ryan Holladay

My first six months in New York I ate very little besides pizza.

A Great Article. The sad but true thing is that most Ohioians have never nor will they ever eat and enjoy great pizza. A LaRosa's, Cassanos, Little Caesars, Papa John's etc etc etc would not last an hour in New York. He states in the article quote:

America has been hoodwinked into believing that the abundance of often perverse and unfortunate derivative dishes that share the same name should be accepted as legitimate alternatives.

I could not have said it better myself....Russ

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
          Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 10/25/09 2:39 PM (permalink)
          I'll give him credit for not saying it was the New York City water.   But other than that it is just another (but well written) NY snobbery piece. I'm speaking for the rest of the country, not necessarily southwest Ohio.

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
            Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 10/25/09 3:55 PM (permalink)
            The writer doesn't explain why the pizza is so much better. Someone used to (as his wife puts it) Chicago pizza "casseroles" has no idea what he is going on about. No description of textures, aromas or flavors.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4480
              Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 10/25/09 7:27 PM (permalink)
              Davydd

it is just another (but well written) NY snobbery piece.

Agreed.

Then again, there is a lot of that in this particular thread, so it's perfectly topical despite the thread's name

<message edited by TJ Jackson on Sun, 10/25/09 8:09 PM>

Russ Jackson

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 10/25/09 8:27 PM (permalink)
                It just shows how limited the Ohio pallate is when it comes to Pizza just in the responses. The two best would be Dewey's and Troni's which on there best day would rank a 7 out of 10. Keep eating your Marions and Ron's thinking it is quality. Kind of like comparing Ice Milk or Frozen Yogurt to Graeter's....Russ 

LeadBelly

• Total Posts: 93
                  Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 10/25/09 9:33 PM (permalink)
                  Russ Jackson

It just shows how limited the Ohio pallate is when it comes to Pizza just in the responses. The two best would be Dewey's and Troni's which on there best day would rank a 7 out of 10. Keep eating your Marions and Ron's thinking it is quality. Kind of like comparing Ice Milk or Frozen Yogurt to Graeter's....Russ 

Yeah but its kind of that way around the country for just about any food. When I moved down here I had a rule...no cheese steaks in Maryland and no crab cakes in Philadelphia. And I'm sure you could make those rules about anywhere around this country.  But people still eat a lot of cheese steak subs down here in the Baltimore area, and that now includes me. Are they as good as Philly, not close. But in the ten years since I've been down here they're getting a lot closer. The rolls have gotten better, the meat has gotten better and most importantly the people who make them have more of a handle on what they should be like. 

For a while it was probably inconceivable to think of good BBQ anywhere but the south or the Kansas area. But slowly the quality of BBQ  is rising up in unlikely places...like New York City. 

So yeah, out in Ohio they are limited to the Pizza they have and its not as good as Connecticut, New York or Philly pizza. Will it ever get that good as the best? Maybe not but give it time it will surely be an awful lot better than it is now. 

BTW...God bless Graeters. You can get ice cream almost anywhere but the stuff they make in those copper pots...oh my its good. 

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 10/25/09 11:56 PM (permalink)
                    LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Yeah but its kind of that way around the country for just about any food. When I moved down here I had a rule...no cheese steaks in Maryland and no crab cakes in Philadelphia. And I'm sure you could make those rules about anywhere around this country.  But people still eat a lot of cheese steak subs down here in the Baltimore area, and that now includes me. Are they as good as Philly, not close. But in the ten years since I've been down here they're getting a lot closer. The rolls have gotten better, the meat has gotten better and most importantly the people who make them have more of a handle on what they should be like. 

For a while it was probably inconceivable to think of good BBQ anywhere but the south or the Kansas area. But slowly the quality of BBQ  is rising up in unlikely places...like New York City. 

So yeah, out in Ohio they are limited to the Pizza they have and its not as good as Connecticut, New York or Philly pizza. Will it ever get that good as the best? Maybe not but give it time it will surely be an awful lot better than it is now. 

BTW...God bless Graeters. You can get ice cream almost anywhere but the stuff they make in those copper pots...oh my its good. 
                    The Cinci area has had three pizzerias with pizza the quality of NY pizzas but sadly they came and went some time ago.  Dewey's now is as close as you get to the NY style and taste.  Troni's in Kettering does it a bit better than Dewey's.

Russ Jackson

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Mon, 10/26/09 9:30 AM (permalink)
                      LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Are they as good as Philly, not close. But in the ten years since I've been down here they're getting a lot closer. The rolls have gotten better, the meat has gotten better and most importantly the people who make them have more of a handle on what they should be like.  

I have eaten Philly Cheese Steaks all over the country and none match the real thing. Do you think they are getting better or have your taste buds been deprived of the real thing so long you are forgeting? Outside of Philly you can't even find one made with Cheese Whiz. The further east you go in this country the better the bread...Russ

I wont even get into Bagels...

dlawson

• Total Posts: 237
                        Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Tue, 10/27/09 8:03 AM (permalink)
                        Russ Jackson
                        Outside of Philly you can't even find one made with Cheese Whiz.

It is not without its detractors, but Balboa's in Cincinnati (two locations, downtown and O'Bryonville) makes them "Wiz wit", and even gets their rolls from Philadelphia. I personally love the place; my wife does not.

Russ Jackson

No argument there.

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Tue, 11/3/09 5:11 PM (permalink)
                          Russ Jackson

LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Are they as good as Philly, not close. But in the ten years since I've been down here they're getting a lot closer. The rolls have gotten better, the meat has gotten better and most importantly the people who make them have more of a handle on what they should be like.  

I have eaten Philly Cheese Steaks all over the country and none match the real thing. Do you think they are getting better or have your taste buds been deprived of the real thing so long you are forgeting? Outside of Philly you can't even find one made with Cheese Whiz. The further east you go in this country the better the bread...Russ

Russ

You can find great NYC type bagels and bialys here:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=marx+bagels+blue+ash&fb=1&gl=us&hq=marx+bagels&hnear=blue+ash&cid=17990671846884447971

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Tue, 11/3/09 5:23 PM (permalink)
                            Country Inn on State Route 68 in Mt Orab (my favorite in the Brown County area for fried chicken and soups) is building a new location  off St Rt 32 just before the St Rt 68 exit coming out of Eastgate.  They expect to be open either by December or January 2010 and the old location will close at that time.

They have the foundation done and the frame is up already.  They will be opposite the new Mercy Emergency Medical Center:
                            http://www.ehealthconnection.com/regions/mercy_cincinnati/Facilities_Services_MtOrabMedicalCenter.asp

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) Tue, 11/3/09 5:26 PM (permalink)
                              NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Here is a photo of the storefront, and the owner Alex Mercado is on the left and the mural artist is to the right:

The expected opening day is the middle of August.

Here are some of the beautiful murals in the restaurant:

Click to view full size:

The address is 137 N Point Drive, Mt Orab. Coming east on State Route 32,  you exit onto State Route 68, turn left and go over the 32 overpass and turn left at the first light  and left again immediately and they are  behind Skyline Chili  in a strip shopping center.

I spoke to the owner today and he said all is ready for the opening but they are waiting on their furniture to come in from Mexico.  My guess is the opening should be around the beginning of next month. 
                              I learned today they will open on November 14th.

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Wed, 11/4/09 10:01 AM (permalink)
                                NYPIzzaNut

Country Inn on State Route 68 in Mt Orab (my favorite in the Brown County area for fried chicken and soups) is building a new location  off St Rt 32 just before the St Rt 68 exit coming out of Eastgate.  They expect to be open either by December or January 2010 and the old location will close at that time.

They have the foundation done and the frame is up already.  They will be opposite the new Mercy Emergency Medical Center:
                                http://www.ehealthconnection.com/regions/mercy_cincinnati/Facilities_Services_MtOrabMedicalCenter.asp
                                These are some collages of the Country Inn taken during visits there over the years:

We  have been enjoying their food since 2002.

Russ Jackson

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Wed, 11/4/09 10:10 AM (permalink)
                                  NYPIzzaNut

Russ Jackson

LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Russ

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?hl=en&safe=off&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=marx+bagels+blue+ash&fb=1&gl=us&hq=marx+bagels&hnear=blue+ash&cid=17990671846884447971

I will be down there this weekend and give it a try. I have moved to Upper Arlington in Columbus so I am currently exploring this area. Do you like Salt Bagles with yellow mustard? If you have not tried it I suggest you do. Scrape off about 1/2 the salt and apply Plochmans Yellow. It is a Detroit thing...Russ

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Wed, 11/4/09 10:19 AM (permalink)
                                    Russ Jackson

NYPIzzaNut

Russ Jackson

LeadBelly

Russ Jackson

Russ

I will be down there this weekend and give it a try. I have moved to Upper Arlington in Columbus so I am currently exploring this area. Do you like Salt Bagles with yellow mustard? If you have not tried it I suggest you do. Scrape off about 1/2 the salt and apply Plochmans Yellow. It is a Detroit thing...Russ

My friend who is from Paris TN but worked in Detroit for a while craves their salt bagels!

My wife and I both love their raisin bagels and I absolutely am nuts about their bialys but all of their bagels are exceptional and just like you find in NYC.

They freeze well (freeze them the day you buy them if they will not be eaten right away) but don't leave them in there too long as they will dry out and lose some of their flavor - but I have defrosted some I had forgotten after a year and they still taste pretty good.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Wed, 11/4/09 4:22 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sat, 11/7/09 12:47 PM (permalink)
                                      Our lunchbunch was at Stacey's Buffet in Wilmington this past Thursday.  Some comments etc. follow shortly.  A great lunch for $20 for the 3 of us!

It has been a while since I could say that.

donw9876

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sat, 11/7/09 12:51 PM (permalink)
                                        You mean, $6.67 apiece, roughly?

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sat, 11/7/09 12:54 PM (permalink)
                                          donw9876

You mean, $6.67 apiece, roughly?

Yes which includes our senior citizen discounts.

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sat, 11/7/09 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                            Here is a photobucket slide show of Stacey's Buffet:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Staceys%20Buffet%20Wilmington%20OH/?albumview=slideshow

I did not get pix of the salad bar or dessert bar or the soups etc on the main table.

That day they had chili with beans heavy on cumin and vegetable soup.

The food was very good and I was amazed they had fried green tomatoes. 

I never got to the desserts or salad bar but my companions did and enjoyed them immensely.

I concentrated on the kielbasi, fried green tomatoes, fried and bbq chicken, chili etc.

They always seem to have a good fresh spread of food and we always enjoy their buffets.

Here is their website, which gives some more details of their offerings:

http://www.staceysbuffet.com/

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 11/7/09 6:33 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
                                              Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sat, 11/7/09 7:47 PM (permalink)
                                              I am amazed that anyone would bother about photos of a damned buffet. I didn't look, but can't help wondering whether there were any pictures of people picking their noses and then reaching for food.
                                              <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Sat, 11/7/09 7:49 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sat, 11/7/09 8:24 PM (permalink)
                                                Always nice to hear from you, mi amigo.

donw9876

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 11/8/09 12:03 AM (permalink)
                                                  PizzaNut, start a blog. Your reviews are always interesting.

• Total Posts: 335
                                                    Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 11/8/09 1:10 AM (permalink)
                                                    NYPIzzaNut

Here is their website, which gives some more details of their offerings:

http://www.staceysbuffet.com/

Hmm, the website for Stacey's Buffet very limited.

I ate there in Wilmington once more than four years ago, and I thought it was less than I was expecting.  I think they had a location in Springfield as well.

NYPIzzaNut

Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 11/8/09 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                                      For the price I think they are a real bargain in this day and age.

They had a location in Fairfield up until a few years ago, which is now  a Mexican restaurant, and it is one of several good Hispanic places to eat almost in a row heading up towards Jungle Jim's.
                                                      <message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sun, 11/8/09 9:26 AM>

NYPIzzaNut

• Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                        Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Sun, 11/8/09 10:26 PM (permalink)
                                                        donw9876

I appreciate that but I really don't think I am the type to do that.

donw9876

• Location: Daytonati, OH
                                                          Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Mon, 11/9/09 4:25 PM (permalink)
                                                          NYPIzzaNut

donw9876

I appreciate that but I really don't think I am the type to do that.

It would be quite easy. Just create a Blogger ID and shovel the stuff you post here into individual blog postings.

Well, it was just a thought. "A New York Pizza Fanatic's Guide to Southwest Ohio Dining."

NYPIzzaNut

• Location: Sardinia, OH
                                                            Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs Mon, 11/9/09 6:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            I might make more enemies than friends!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 7 of 30, messages 181 to 210 of 878

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com