Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 15, messages 481 to 540 of 878
NYPIzzaNut
  • Total Posts : 3127
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 03/5/10 9:33 AM
NYPIzzaNut

Anyone been to House of Sun in Sharonville?:

http://houseofsuncincy.com/default.aspx

We had lunch there yesterday and a review and photos follow - I am amazed I never knew about this place before last week!

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 03/5/10 11:32 AM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Anyone been to House of Sun in Sharonville?:

We had lunch there yesterday and a review and photos follow - I am amazed I never knew about this place before last week!

Their menu is similar to King Wok in Clifton in that they have a regular Anglo Chinese menu as well as a more traditional Chinese menu and live fish and lobster tanks for some more authentic dishes.  The place was packed.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 03/6/10 8:38 PM
I will start off with the photos from our lunch this past Thursday at the House of Sun in Sharonville:

***** 麻 辣 耳 絲
 Hot & Spicy Sliced Pork Ears

炸  豆  腐  Deep Fried Bean Curd

Beef Noodle Soup 

Spicy 

$6.95

S 1
雀 巢 海 鮮
 Seafood Bird's Nest Shrimp, scallops, and crab meat sauteed with snow peas, black mushrooms, baby corn, water chestnuts, broccoli, Chinese napa and carrots in white sauce  

114 左 宗 鶏  General Tso's Chicken
Deep fried diced chicken sauteed with garlic, ginger and scallion in hot sauce

香  酥  鶏
 Crispy Skin Duck

Our Paris, TN native son proudly displaying a chunk of his fabulous crispy skin duck for the camera to record for posterity

Our gracious waitress, Fang Wang and our satisfied duck eater

A view of the restaurant storefront from out in the parking lot - they are just behind the White Castle on St  Rt 42 just North of I-275 interchange

Bombay Grocers is at the other end of this small strip shopping center - they are the largest Indian/Pakistani grocery store I have seen in the Greater Cinci area - their stock is unbelievably immense - only problem is the language barrier - they speak English somewhat but it it is hard to communicate at times - you could spend hours in their store if you appreciate their cuisines - I was in there before and after our lunch, with my lunch mates.

This is the website for this restaurant - it includes all their menus I believe:

Overall we found the food to be very good - the sliced pig's ears really started things off on the right foot - for myself and our duck lover - the ladies went for the deep fried bean curd and possibly tasted the ears but were gunshy of the dish to say the least.

My beef noodle soup was excellent as was the duck and General Tao's chicken and the Seafood Bird's Nest.

The only fault we found with the food was that the deep fried noodles in the Seafood Bird's Nest had a bad taste about them - they were fried in rancid vegetable oil it appeared. 

Our duck man took home another appetizer, Marinated Duck and is still raving about it!!

We will definitely be returning to this restaurant - their menu is so extensive it will always be an adventure to choose your dishes.

They do a very good business - they were really packed for the lunch hours we were there (11- 1)

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 03/6/10 9:27 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 03/7/10 12:48 PM
Most likely we will be at the new location of the Country Inn this coming week - their grand opening is tomorrow.

Country Inn Restaurant
290 Brooks Malott Road,
Mount Orab, OH 45154

(937) 444-3330

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 03/9/10 1:40 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Most likely we will be at the new location of the Country Inn this coming week - their grand opening is tomorrow.

Country Inn Restaurant
290 Brooks Malott Road,
Mount Orab, OH 45154

(937) 444-3330
...this is the new building...

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/10/10 9:30 AM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Country Inn Restaurant
290 Brooks Malott Road,
Mount Orab, OH 45154

(937) 444-3330

Below is a link to a recent article on their new location, which I just ran across:
http://browncountypress.1upmonitor.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=10417&TM=33659.45

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/10/10 6:47 PM
baughman

So after much talk about Country Inn chicken down in Mt Orab. The family and I made the 40 minutes drive out there today. I realised it just opened in the new location , but it was a good sign that at 2pm the parking lot was pretty full. A good 10-12 tables were full when we went in. The place is pretty big now. Just by looking around it looked like 14 or so booths, and 10 tables or so.
   I saw chicken livers on the menu and had to cover it up since I am an innards fan. I came to try the chicken since Campbells barn has failed me the last cpl times I have been.
   Now I must say I was won over as soon as I got to the salad bar and saw Bread and Butter pickles on it. I could have paid the money and just gorged on those. Standard canned Pickles but dang I love them.
   AS for the chicken the meat was juicy as all get out. Plus the skin, well lets just put it this way. My wife hates fried chicken and she ate half the skin off my 3 pieces of chicken.
  Skin was def the highlight of the meal.  Standard home cooked food is all over the menu.
 I would put this chicken in my top 3 in cinci now. Reminded me a bit of the old IGAs chicken in Blanchester which is a good thing.
   Wife and kids got breakfast which was big and cheap. The menu wont break your bank at all. We spent 29.08 for four of us.
   Bonus was the sweet tea was top top also.

I would drive out there agian for the chicken.
My wife stopped there yesterday while running errands and brought some leftover chicken home, which I partially partook of today - our lunch group will be there later this week.  Glad you enjoyed yourselves and found the chicken tasty.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 03/11/10 7:42 PM
We were at the new Country Inn Restaurant today - a commentary and photos to follow.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 03/12/10 11:40 AM
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Country Inn Restaurant
290 Brooks Malott Road,
Mount Orab, OH 45154

(937) 444-3330

Below is a link to a recent article on their new location, which I just ran across:
http://browncountypress.1upmonitor.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubSectionID=1&ArticleID=10417&TM=33659.45

Here are some photos from our visit to the new Country Inn Restaurant location yesterday:

Bean soup kettle (cream of broccoli is to the left and not in photo)

Corn muffins and biscuits with butter

salad bar

salad bar

salad bar

salad bar

fried chicken with green beans with ham and California vegetable medley

chicken fried steak with home fries and mashed potatoes with brown gravy

fried chicken livers with green beans and ham and mashed potatoes with brown gravy on the side

fried chicken with corn and sweet potato with butter

Our waitress Joan Frye ( with Country Inn since 1986 ) holding vanilla ice cream and our blackberry cobbler with extra bowls as our fellow lunchbunchers Willie and Frank look on...

vanilla ice cream and blackberry cobbler

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 03/12/10 12:35 PM
Country Inn Restaurant ~ Mt Orab Ohio

this is a view of the restaurant looking from our table towards the entrance

you can see the beverage area to the left - in the middle is the manager walking toward the camera talking on a cell phone

in the foreground is lunchbuncher Connie

this is a view from our table looking toward the front of the restaurant with lunchbuncher Frank in foreground

our bill

the front of the restaurant with lunchbunchers Frank and Willie (holding leftovers)

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 03/12/10 12:55 PM
The new location of the Country Inn Restaurant is a total change in many respects from the old location.

They had been there for 24 years and we (my wife and I) have been eating there for 7 or 8 years - we started when we first began looking in Brown County for a home.

We have always enjoyed their salad bar, corn bread, soups and fried chicken as well as their meat loaf and chicken fried steak, mushroom steak hoagies and chili etc.

The bean soup I had was very flavorful and the cream of broccoli was also very good according to two of my fellow lunchbunchers.

The new location is much bigger and reminds one of a Cracker Barrel feel somewhat.

They have added a lot more staff including a full time location manager.

The food is pretty much unchanged.  The biscuits and corn muffins are now kept in a warmer in the kitchen and must be requested from your waitress.  The corn bread used to be made in large baking pans and cut in squares and was much more moist and tasty at the old location.  The salad bar is exactly as it always has been.

They have added melts to the menu.

The fried chicken seemed a bit different - still very good but the crust was not as thick or flavorful.  I am hoping they get back to the way I am used to it being.

The chicken livers were awfully small and somewhat overcooked and did not taste like much. (I am not a fan of this dish btw lol).

The vegetables do not offer much in the way of any special flavor or herbs or taste.

The various potatoes offered are alway very good but the mashed potatoes are instant although it is hard to tell.

The chicken fried steak was very good - tender and tasty - it came with a white sauce on the side.

The desserts are store bought - our cobbler comes in frozen (it was OK) and their NY cheesecake comes from Sam's.

At the old location most of their desserts were home-made.

So overall I would have to say our first visit was a bit disappointing but their food overall was decent and I do expect and anticipate it will get better as they settle in - there are several cooks now as opposed to one main one at the old location.

They piped in channel 809 from direcTV sonic tap which is mainly 80s and 90s country - I believe they will alternate it with 50s and 60s rock 'n roll as they did at the old place.

They do a very good business even with this being their first week so hopefully their food will improve in quality and taste.
<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Fri, 03/12/10 1:08 PM>

enginecapt
  • Total Posts : 3486
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 03/13/10 4:46 AM
Did new management take over? Those sound like bean counter changes.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 03/13/10 9:12 AM
enginecapt

Did new management take over? Those sound like bean counter changes.

Same owner - just a big expansion of their original location operation, with the new move to right off a major highway 30 miles from the Eastgate area of Greater Cincinnati.

• Total Posts : 335
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 03/13/10 12:50 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Country Inn Restaurant
290 Brooks Malott Road,
Mount Orab, OH 45154

(937) 444-3330

I looked this up on Google Maps.  It appears to be quite a distance from OH 32 and US 68, and on a road that doesn't have street views yet.  Was it the restaurant's intent to keep it in a very low profile location?

Oh, and here's the Google maps link:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=290+brooks+malott+rd+45154

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 03/13/10 1:07 PM

NYPIzzaNut

Country Inn Restaurant
290 Brooks Malott Road,
Mount Orab, OH 45154

(937) 444-3330

I looked this up on Google Maps.  It appears to be quite a distance from OH 32 and US 68, and on a road that doesn't have street views yet.  Was it the restaurant's intent to keep it in a very low profile location?

Oh, and here's the Google maps link:http://maps.google.com/maps?q=290+brooks+malott+rd+45154
The address is new - the street they are on is pretty rural, and largely undeveloped - they are one mile from the intersection of OH 32 and US 68 and just a few hundred feet off OH 32.  This is a pretty high profile location compared to where they had be on US 68, several miles away from OH 32.

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 03/13/10 1:17 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 03/16/10 8:47 AM
http://www.singerproperties.com/BJ-AsianBuffet-09.htm

Asian Buffet & Grill 6999 Miller Lane, Dayton  937-898-1888  Crab legs, frog legs, octopus, sushi 150 + items Chinese, Asian and American.  Take Benchwood exit (59)off I-75 to Miller Lane. on left hand side of Miller Lane.

We will be at this restaurant this week.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/17/10 9:30 AM
We were at the Asian Buffet and Grill in Dayton yesterday and all four of us agreed it was one of the finest buffets of its type we have ever experienced.  Photos and comments to follow.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/17/10 4:51 PM
One of the nice touches was their Mongolian grill which we had no idea they had!

arianej
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 03/23/10 6:46 PM
Small world, we just ate at the Asian Buffet on Miller Lane last month or so.  I should probably note upfront that my family* rarely goes to Asian buffets, but it was on the way home from the airport and my parents were starving. 

I didn't get to try the Mongolian grill, but I did get some sushi.  It was well below par for a good sushi bar, but it's hard to beat the price.  Of the ones I tried, the salmon and the eel were the best.  The tuna wasn't so good, and the fancier rolls looked so busy, I was reluctant to try them.  My dad didn't care for the one he got.

That said, very good selection and execution of what dishes were there.  They had a large salmon fillet on the buffet, lots of choices including stuff like stuffed potato skins and some kind of roast.  The cold section carries kim chee, in-the-shell prawns (I didn't get to try those) and a nice baby octopus in chili sauce cold salad that I liked. 

Overall, it was decent, probably one of the betterAsian buffets I've been to re: selection.  (I know this isn't saying much.)  I'd go again without too much protest if friends or family wanted to, but I wouldn't make the special trip there by myself.

Tsao's in Fairborn does a much, much smaller buffet, but the dishes were better executed.  They carry some unusual specials as well as rice porridge and fried bread on the buffet, which draws in quite a few Asian customers on the weekend.  Worth a look, although the selection is small.

*  We are Chinese.  Buffets tend to serve the more popular Americanized take-out dishes, and none of us actually like sweet and sour pork.

Rabkin
  • Total Posts : 64
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/24/10 8:42 AM
I was wondering what Dayton or Cincinnati location serves up the best Korean fare, as I've never, ever had it before, and have gotten very interested in it with various friends and other, more notable, personages (Anthony Bourdain) extolling the virtues of kimchee, bulgogi, and the single dish that intrigues me the most, bibimbap (or bibimbab, or -bop, or -bob).  I did the scantest of internets digging, and found this place .  Any thoughts?  Any better suggestions?  I figured that it made the most sense to come here and query all you fine Roadfoodies, so that's exactly what I'm-a doin'.  TIA!

ETA: Well, I can't post links yet.  Sheesh.  The link was to Myong's Cafe in Fairborn.  Stupid rules!
<message edited by Rabkin on Wed, 03/24/10 8:44 AM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/24/10 9:30 AM
We have been to two good ones in this area and both are reported on here:

http://www.activedayton.com/dayton/content/story/restaurants/reviews/sima_korean_japanese_restaurant.html

http://home.fuse.net/sandyjang/index.htm

There are photos and comments in this thread on Riverside. Excellent!

baughman
  • Total Posts : 115
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/24/10 9:50 PM
kimchi is the food of the gods. I am afraid to try it at restaurants. Since I have a friend who's X-wife is Korean and still brings him homemade kimchi from time to time, and it is amazing. IT also stinks up the house when I eat it so the wife hates me when we have it around.
   I may have to break my ban and try the riverside.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 03/25/10 9:13 AM
http://www.thefoodhussy.com/2008/06/aladdins-eatery-still-undecided-about.html

Any comments from anyone on Aladdin's Eatery in West Chester?

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 03/27/10 7:00 PM
NYPIzzaNut

Our Lunchbunch was at Aladdin's this past  Thursday - we enjoyed it very much and highly recommend it - more detailed comments and photos will follow.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 03/27/10 7:20 PM
This is their website and menu etc:

http://www.aladdinseatery.com/

http://www.aladdinseatery.com/menu.php

This is a small family owned chain - franchisees are members of the extended family of the founder.  The West Chester location is the first of several to be opened in Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky.

When we got there at 11 am the place was empty - within a half hour the place was packed!

NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 03/28/10 2:00 PM
On the way home from Aladdin's Eatery this past Thursday I stopped and picked up two pizzas to go home from Dewey's Pizzeria in Montgomery:

Half bacon and half mushroom

Half pepperoni and half plain

Delicious as usual!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

arianej
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/31/10 2:29 AM
Rabkin

I was wondering what Dayton or Cincinnati location serves up the best Korean fare, as I've never, ever had it before, and have gotten very interested in it with various friends and other, more notable, personages (Anthony Bourdain) extolling the virtues of kimchee, bulgogi, and the single dish that intrigues me the most, bibimbap (or bibimbab, or -bop, or -bob).  I did the scantest of internets digging, and found this place .  Any thoughts?  Any better suggestions?  I figured that it made the most sense to come here and query all you fine Roadfoodies, so that's exactly what I'm-a doin'.  TIA!

ETA: Well, I can't post links yet.  Sheesh.  The link was to Myong's Cafe in Fairborn.  Stupid rules!

Welcome to Roadfood, Rabkin!  :)

I've heard very good things about Myong's Cafe in Fairborn, but haven't been there yet.  Wasn't terribly impressed with Sima on Woodman.  Their pa jun (large crispy scallion and seafood pancake) was fantastic, everything else was only so-so.  The bulgogi tasted of sugar and little else.  I'd go with Myong's.  :)

arianej
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/31/10 2:44 AM
NYPIzzaNut

I've been, and it was okay.  A decent light/healthy choice eating option in that area, but I wouldn't make a special trip for it unless there weren't any Middle Eastern restaurants nearer to me.  To be honest, it seemed a bit Middle Eastern food by way of California... and it is priced accordingly. 

Dayton already has two very good Lebanese places (Cedarland on Linden and Taste of the Mediterranean across from Dayton Mall) with better food, so I don't think I'll bother going back.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/31/10 9:27 AM
NYPIzzaNut

This is their website and menu etc:

http://www.aladdinseatery.com/

http://www.aladdinseatery.com/menu.php

This is a small family owned chain - franchisees are members of the extended family of the founder.  The West Chester location is the first of several to be opened in Southwest Ohio and Northern Kentucky.

When we got there at 11 am the place was empty - within a half hour the place was packed!
This is a composite of the food we ordered and consumed.  The consensus was the food was very tasty - the desserts were all priced at $5.95 which seems a bit stiff - they were very good and came from the chain's commissary twice a week, which is in Akron I believe.  Further photos etc to follow.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/31/10 10:42 AM

This composite shows  a good part of the decor and  our group (minus our cofounding member from TN for some strange reason) as well as our wonderful waitress Brit and coowner Carla) - Brit is holding our 3 desserts.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/31/10 1:26 PM
Here is a nice exterior shot with composites of the various interior views seen thru the windows..

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/31/10 2:41 PM

This is our Aladdin's Eatery bill for the 5 of us - we were a little shocked to see they actually charged us for hot sauce and extra garlic sauce and at the price of the mango drinks.  We also thought the lamb plate had a very meager amount of lamb for its cost.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 03/31/10 8:32 PM
Our Lunchbunch will be at the Old Y Restaurant in Winchester this week - this will be our second visit to this nice old-timey country restaurant, in the boondocks of Adams County.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 04/6/10 7:45 AM
The very latest on the closing and resurrection of New Orleans To Go:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/New-Orleans-to-Go/309639602845?ref=mf

http://www.neworleanstogopoboys.com/

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 04/8/10 8:08 AM
Is anyone familiar with Mimi"s Grill in Beavercreek?

donw9876
  • Total Posts : 289
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 04/8/10 7:37 PM
NYPIzzaNut

That would be at The Greene (I-675 & Indian Ripple Rd.) but I believe it closed and has been reopened as something else. 

Mimi's is a chain owned by Bob Evans. I think it's pretty ordinary.

There is another one much closer to you that is open, on Mason Montgomery Road in Deerfield Commons.

<message edited by donw9876 on Thu, 04/8/10 7:38 PM>

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 04/8/10 7:54 PM
donw9876

NYPIzzaNut

That would be at The Greene (I-675 & Indian Ripple Rd.) but I believe it closed and has been reopened as something else. 

There is another one much closer to you that is open, on Mason Montgomery Road in Deerfield Commons.
It is still Mimi's Grill and and still mundane and still there in the parking lot area.  It was our Englewood-based member's choice this week.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 04/10/10 4:02 PM
On the way home from Mimi's I picked up a wonderful pizza at Troni's and learned they are now closed on Mondays in addition to Sundays.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 04/11/10 12:12 PM
Athenian Restaurant‎
10966 Reading Road, Cincinnati, OH 45241-2555
(513) 733-8482 ‎ 
Is anyone familiar with this place?

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 04/11/10 2:08 PM
NYPIzzaNut

I've eaten there a few times; to me it a more upscale Bob Evans.  (Oh, and it's Mimi's Cafe, not Grill.)

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 04/12/10 8:05 AM

NYPIzzaNut

I've eaten there a few times; to me it a more upscale Bob Evans.  (Oh, and it's Mimi's Cafe, not Grill.)

You are right -  it is a cafe in a parking lot, with upscale prices too ...

Delilah77
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 04/12/10 10:01 AM
I've been to the Athenian. It's a tiny greek diner type place. The food was okay, not great. If you are thinking in that area I would choose Dino's Euro Grill or Rombes. Both do a good gyro. Rombes has a more extensive menu. It's a family owned place and sort of old timey.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 04/12/10 6:34 PM
Delilah77

I've been to the Athenian. It's a tiny greek diner type place. The food was okay, not great. If you are thinking in that area I would choose Dino's Euro Grill or Rombes. Both do a good gyro. Rombes has a more extensive menu. It's a family owned place and sort of old timey.
Is Dino's the newer place on Cornell that is in a former fast food joint?

Delilah77
  • Total Posts : 31
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 04/13/10 7:17 AM
Yes, Dino's is on Cornell. It's counter service and still looks like a converted fast food place inside. The gyros are very good, though.

I had lunch at Rombes a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. The gyro was very good......on par with Arteti's (Findlay Market). They also had a lot of other options on the menu.

Soccer862923
  • Total Posts : 208
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 04/15/10 7:48 AM
NYPIzzaNut

donw9876

NYPIzzaNut

It is still Mimi's Grill and and still mundane and still there in the parking lot area.  It was our Englewood-based member's choice this week.

I couldn't agree more about it being mundane. I haven't been able to bring myself to go back to it as I just think of it as mediocre. My grandma really seems to like it but I just find it rather bland and maudlin.

Haven't been on in a while, but I hope to be back regularly again. Been working on balancing, full time school, full time graduate studies, and training for my Half Marathons and other races. Been also trying to get my food choices in control as it really throws off my training if I am not careful of how much, what, and when I eat many types of RF. I think I have it under control so I shall be back!

Bonk
  • Total Posts : 503
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 04/15/10 1:15 PM
We had a taste for Still Smokin', so we called out a couple of weeks ago to see if he was open. We left a message, and he called back within minutes and said he would open the weekend of April 10-11.

We went out there last weekend and there was no trailer. We tried calling when we got back and left a message, but he hasn't called back.

It would really suck if they didn't re-open -- their smoked ribs are incredible.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 04/15/10 2:09 PM
I spoke to the owner on Tuesday when I saw their trailer in place and tent up - they opened today and brisket will be ready at 4 PM - remember they are only open from Thursday - Sunday.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 04/23/10 7:54 PM

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Tue, 04/27/10 9:19 PM
We were there today - it does not compare to NOTG  in any way, shape or form.

Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 04/28/10 12:36 AM
NYPIzzaNut

We were there today - it does not compare to NOTG  in any way, shape or form.

What's NOTG?

Bonk
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Wed, 04/28/10 1:07 AM
New Orleans To Go

dlawson
  • Total Posts : 237
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sun, 05/2/10 5:22 PM
We went to Andouille last night, and I wouldn't go so far as to say it doesn't compare to NOTG. We pretty much ignored everything on the menu that wasn't Louisiana-related (like burgers, steaks, and chicken fingers), although I understand why they are on there.

First, the good. The crawfish, bar none. Flown in live, something NOTG was never able to do for some reason, and it makes all the difference in the world. My wife (a native of Louisiana, born and raised not far from Breaux Bridge, the "Crawfish Capital") was scared to death of ordering them, due to several disastrous experiences up here (including NOTG), but these were far and away the best we have had locally. Our only nitpicks were that they aren't as spicy as they should have been (and they may have just been "dumbed down" for local tastes), and they weren't served with the "standard" dipping sauce (equal parts ketchup and mayonnaise, plus black pepper or Tony Chachere's to taste), or any dipping sauce for that matter. We asked for the ingredients, and mixed our own. The appetizer version was almost 20 pieces for $7, which I found pretty reasonable for this area, all things considered.

My wife also enjoyed the crawfish etoufee, which was made closer to the Cajun style (that is, a butter/onion/green pepper base, not tomato). I went with the red beans and rice, which was okay. It was a bit peppery, much too smoky (because they use smoked ham hocks instead of tasso), and not creamy at all, since none of the beans were mashed during cooking. This, I will agree, does not compare to NOTG's version. Entrees include cornbread (which was extremely moist and delicious, and ended up being our dessert) and a choice of salad. I was pleased that the spinach salad with bacon was one of the choices, and it was pretty good, although the vinaigrette dressing could have been used a bit more sparingly.

The gumbo was, frankly, terrible...much too thick, not enough of a roux base, only one piece each of chicken and andouille sausage, and far too expensive at $5/cup.

Overall, we were pleased with our experience and will go back, although it isn't in the most convenient location. (It took about 30 minutes to get there from our home in Northside, and I will admit to driving faster than most.) I personally am most intrigued by the all-you-can-eat catfish on Thursdays. My wife, meanwhile, keeps telling people back home that she finally found some good boiled crawfish up here, and that's a pretty successful dining experience in my book.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 05/3/10 9:38 AM
Bonk

We had a taste for Still Smokin', so we called out a couple of weeks ago to see if he was open. We left a message, and he called back within minutes and said he would open the weekend of April 10-11.

We went out there last weekend and there was no trailer. We tried calling when we got back and left a message, but he hasn't called back.

It would really suck if they didn't re-open -- their smoked ribs are incredible.
Have you made it out there yet?

Bonk
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 05/6/10 5:18 PM
Finally got back there last weekend. The ribs were still excellent.

Lee said he's using a different kind of wood to cut down the smoky flavor (which some claimed was too much), but I didn't notice the difference. I love the smoky flavor.

I had the mac and cheese, which is also fantastic, and I tried a pork chop sandwich. He smokes the pork chop, bone in, and puts it on a bun. It's a little weird eating a sandwich with a bone in it, but it was still delicious.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Thu, 05/6/10 7:12 PM
No brisket??

Bonk
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 05/7/10 2:47 PM
NYPIzzaNut

No brisket??

Yeah, good point. I totally forgot that we did get some, which is probably just as well.

It was a little overdone. Still not bad, just not particularly memorable. My gf also got some cole slaw, which is actually her favorite anywhere (I actually can't stand any type of slaw), and she said it was just as awesome as she remembered it.

She says it's a vinegar thing.

donw9876
  • Total Posts : 289
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Fri, 05/7/10 4:16 PM
There are two kinds of slaw dressings: predominantly cream based, and vinegar based. The cream based is the crap that you get almost everywhere and prepared in the supermarket. I've gotten slaw like this that resembles a cold soup. Disgusting. And the most vile common slaw is where the cabbage is pureed into a sort of mush. The vinegar based slaws with coarsely cut cabbage that are sparing with the liquids have more crunch and better flavor. 

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Sat, 05/8/10 6:45 AM
This past Thursday we had lunch at the Lake Waynoka Restaurant.

My friend from Paris TN loved their fried chicken which he claims is the best he ever had outside of his aunt's fried chicken back in TN.  I also think the fried chicken (and their baked chicken) are truly exceptional.

We have new management and a new  cook at our restaurant now and the food is vastly improved from in the past.  Her name is Sandy and she previously operated the Fireside Inn in Higginsport and sold it to a new owner who moved it to Georgetown (we have reported on the Fireside Inn earlier in this thread).

If you ever get the chance to be out this way do yourselves a favor and try some food here.  All the desserts are home-made also and exceptional.

NYPIzzaNut
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) - Mon, 05/10/10 9:40 AM
Bonk

NYPIzzaNut

No brisket??

Yeah, good point. I totally forgot that we did get some, which is probably just as well.

It was a little overdone. Still not bad, just not particularly memorable. My gf also got some cole slaw, which is actually her favorite anywhere (I actually can't stand any type of slaw), and she said it was just as awesome as she remembered it.

She says it's a vinegar thing.

Too bad about the brisket - hopefully they will get back to the wonderful juicy briskets I remember from last summer - I do think their slaw is truly exceptional.

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 9 of 15, messages 481 to 540 of 878