Hot!Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat)

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 30
Author
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 208
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/24 21:50:11 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Do they have the same buffet items daily in general?  They do not have much room with their set up.  What other items would you want to see there?

Out of the 8 or so times that my friends and I have been there for work since they have opened, which is not that long ago, I really haven't seen much in the change of items. They always have Potato Soup or Egg Drop Soup, Hot and Sour Soup, Crab Rangoon, Sweet & Sour Chicken, Egg Rolls, Dumplings, White Rice, Chicken Fried Rice, General Tso's, Sesame Fried Pork, Vegetable Lo Mein, Salted Shrimp, Orange Fish, Mongolian Beef, Asparagus, and a few other items that are escaping me right now. For the most part I have only seen about 2 of the items change about once maybe twice in the times that we have been there.

What I would like to see is Sesame Balls, Peanut Chicken (they have an awesome version at the China Buffet off airway), and maybe some Happy Family or Potstickers. If they would just replace maybe the Orange Fish and 1 of the other items that has been not so stellar with a few of these it would be near perfect in my opinion.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3146
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/24 21:53:16 (permalink)
Do you like Little Saigon in Dayton?
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/25 21:07:43 (permalink)
I have been to Little Saigon only once before and can't say that I was really that impressed with it. That was also probably a long time ago as I can't even pin down exactly when it was that we went.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/28 14:06:25 (permalink)
Didn't know where else to post this, but I thought this might be interesting to us Road Foodies:

http://www.foodsacrossamerica.com/default.aspx
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/29 16:52:07 (permalink)
Last Tuesday our lunchbunch went to Mi Camino Real Mexican Restaurant in Mount Orab.

We all enjoyed the lunch and food very much.  We started off with bean dip with chorizo,  and a bowl of chili, both of which were very good. and we ended the meal with flan,  which also was very tasty.  For entrees please go here for photos of the food etc:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Mi%20Camino%20Real%20Mexican%20Restaurant%20Mt%20Orab%20OH/

and/or here for a slide show of the above photos with comments:

http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp260/radians2009/Mi%20Camino%20Real%20Mexican%20Restaurant%20Mt%20Orab%20OH/?albumview=slideshow

My wife and I will be going back there regularly.

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/11/29 16:57:54
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/29 17:48:46 (permalink)
"Shrimp wrapped in bacon stuffed with crab meat, marinated in garlic brandy, topped with a delicious wine cream sauce." - Are you kidding me! Man do you know how to eat or what.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/29 17:53:39 (permalink)
Only my buddy picked that dish,  and all I got was one of his shrimp so enwrapped!
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 14:47:15 (permalink)
Anyone been to:

Wednesday, July 22,2009

Rising Roll (Lunch Review)

By Heather Smith . . . . . . .
When I walked into Blue Ash’s new Rising Roll (4122 Hunt Road, 513-793-7655) an hour and a half after I’d called my lunch order in, I didn’t expect to feel like I was walking into a relative’s house. But I did. “There’s our mystery girl!” the woman sweeping the floor said. “We were worried about you, thought you’d been in an accident.”

As the friendly man at the counter rang up my food, he said, “Did you see that I tried to call your cell phone? I’m glad you’re OK!”

He handed me my Big Island Tuna Salad ($7.29) and Original Veggie ($6.79) and asked me if everything was OK. I answered yes, suddenly feeling like I should pull up a chair, stay a while and talk about my troubles. But instead, I bolted out the door with my food.
CityBeat rarely reviews chain restaurants, but Rising Roll has such a great reputation we made an exception. (We did for Fatburger as well.) And I’m glad we did. This place certainly doesn’t have the coldness of some chains — it’s friendly, if not friendlier, than a few locally-owned places I know.
As for the food, I wasn’t disappointed. The Original Veggie was original; instead of hummus or pesto, Rising Roll uses guacamole for the lively concoction of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, roasted red peppers and provolone. The guacamole was very mild and perfect with a touch of mayo. The Asiago Basil bread added a touch of herb, which was nice, and the potato salad had a delicate creaminess but wasn’t too heavy on the mayo. (Bread options include Multi-Grain, Sourdough, Soft Whole White Wheat, Sun Dried Tomato Wrap and Croissant.)
For dinner that night, I had the Big Island Tuna (all white meat albacore with chopped hickory-smoked bacon, dried cranberries and chopped pecans). I’m not usually a bacon girl, but I went for it. I’m not usually a tuna girl either, but I’m trying to increase my Omega-3’s these days. I was a bit disappointed. The tuna didn’t taste fresh, but the cranberries, pecans and bacon were a smashing addition. The lightly herbed pasta salad worked nice as a healthy side.
If I lived or worked in Blue Ash, I’d be at Rising Roll every day for lunch. With options like Firecracker Chicken (marinated fresh grilled chicken breast topped with roasted red peppers spicy pepper jack cheese and firecracker sauce) and The New Yorker (with fresh, hot, corned beef coleslaw and Gulden’s Spicy Brown mustard), it’s hard to resist. Luckily, you don’t have to, because they offer so many healthy options.

CONTACT HEATHER SMITH: hsmith@citybeat.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our lunchbunch may be there this week.

TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 15:03:11 (permalink)
Yes - http://www.roadfood.com/F...amp;high=rising%20roll
post edited by TJ Jackson - 2009/11/30 15:04:24
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 15:07:09 (permalink)
..that links to no records to display?
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 15:13:26 (permalink)
I see records
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 15:20:41 (permalink)
Search Forum
Search

Private Messages Compose New PM
User Control Panel Edit Profile Forum Filter Subscription Private Messages Contacts / Friends My Public Profile
Member List Online User List User Groups
Log out
Search Forum

Enter Search Phrase
Exact Match Less Precise Match
By Author
you can use wildcard after author name, e.g. sam%, but not %sam Search In Forum(s) Search All Forums Search Subscribed Forums Only - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - [Roadfood News & Information Forums] - - - - Roadfood News Forum - - - - The Roadfood Insider [Restaurant Professionals Forum] - - - - Restaurant Professionals Forum - - - - Professional Hot Dog Vendors - - - - Roadfood Classifed - For Sale and Want Ads [Regional Forums] - - - - Where Should I Eat? - - - - Trip Reports - - - - Eat and Greets - Roadfood Get-togethers [Lunch & Dinner Forums] - - - - Soups - - - - Mexican - - - - Chicken - - - - BBQ - - - - International Food - - - - Seafood - - - - Sandwiches - - - - Prime Cuts - - - - Chili - - - - Pizza - - - - Hamburgers - - - - Hot Dogs, Sausages & Bratwursts [Breakfast Forum] - - - - Breakfast [Side Dishes Forum] - - - - Side Orders [Desserts Forum] - - - - Ice Cream & Custards - - - - Other Desserts [Snacks & Candy Forum] - - - - Snacks & Candy [Beverage Forum] - - - - The Beverage Forum [Miscellaneous Forums] - - - - Miscellaneous - Food Related - - - - Recipes & Cooking Techniques - - - - Fast Food Franchises & Non-Roadfood Chains - - - - Miscellaneous - Off Topic & "Lighter Fare"
search messages that are marked as FAQ's only Additional Options Search in: Topic Replies Both Both but display as topic only Search terms found in: Subject Body Both Time Filter: withinbefore from the beginning 1 day 2 days 5 days 1 week 3 weeks 1 month 1 quarter 6 months 1 year 2 years Return: Top 300 200 100 50 20 10 w/ minimum relevance: 0 10 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 200 300 400 500 600 700 800 900 / 1000 Sort results by: relevancedateforum Search

Perform Another Search

Topic In Forum Replies / Views Last Update There is no record to display

this is all I get

post a direct link please to the most appropriate - thanks

Russ Jackson
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 15:35:02 (permalink)
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/restaurant-owner-punches-brother-competitor-police-say-426329.html

Whats going on at Troni's? Looks like a fight over the recipe...LOL...Russ
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 16:01:38 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut
this is all I get

I get three records

You may want to report a browser problem to the admins

NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 16:23:57 (permalink)
Russ Jackson

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/crime/restaurant-owner-punches-brother-competitor-police-say-426329.html

First I heard of this - I have eaten at his bro's place and thought his pizza dough and crust was simply awful but lots of folks in your neck of the woods like it - you know how that goes.

If I hear anything more I will comment but I know from talking to Troni's staff that the two brothers are not exactly in sync.  (I knew that as soon as realized the punchee had opened in an Italian restaurant around the corner from his brother!)
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 16:47:10 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Anyone been to:

Wednesday, July 22,2009

Rising Roll (Lunch Review)

By Heather Smith . . . . . . .
When I walked into Blue Ash’s new Rising Roll (4122 Hunt Road, 513-793-7655) an hour and a half after I’d called my lunch order in, I didn’t expect to feel like I was walking into a relative’s house. But I did. “There’s our mystery girl!” the woman sweeping the floor said. “We were worried about you, thought you’d been in an accident.”

As the friendly man at the counter rang up my food, he said, “Did you see that I tried to call your cell phone? I’m glad you’re OK!”

He handed me my Big Island Tuna Salad ($7.29) and Original Veggie ($6.79) and asked me if everything was OK. I answered yes, suddenly feeling like I should pull up a chair, stay a while and talk about my troubles. But instead, I bolted out the door with my food.
CityBeat rarely reviews chain restaurants, but Rising Roll has such a great reputation we made an exception. (We did for Fatburger as well.) And I’m glad we did. This place certainly doesn’t have the coldness of some chains — it’s friendly, if not friendlier, than a few locally-owned places I know.
As for the food, I wasn’t disappointed. The Original Veggie was original; instead of hummus or pesto, Rising Roll uses guacamole for the lively concoction of lettuce, tomato, cucumber, roasted red peppers and provolone. The guacamole was very mild and perfect with a touch of mayo. The Asiago Basil bread added a touch of herb, which was nice, and the potato salad had a delicate creaminess but wasn’t too heavy on the mayo. (Bread options include Multi-Grain, Sourdough, Soft Whole White Wheat, Sun Dried Tomato Wrap and Croissant.)
For dinner that night, I had the Big Island Tuna (all white meat albacore with chopped hickory-smoked bacon, dried cranberries and chopped pecans). I’m not usually a bacon girl, but I went for it. I’m not usually a tuna girl either, but I’m trying to increase my Omega-3’s these days. I was a bit disappointed. The tuna didn’t taste fresh, but the cranberries, pecans and bacon were a smashing addition. The lightly herbed pasta salad worked nice as a healthy side.
If I lived or worked in Blue Ash, I’d be at Rising Roll every day for lunch. With options like Firecracker Chicken (marinated fresh grilled chicken breast topped with roasted red peppers spicy pepper jack cheese and firecracker sauce) and The New Yorker (with fresh, hot, corned beef coleslaw and Gulden’s Spicy Brown mustard), it’s hard to resist. Luckily, you don’t have to, because they offer so many healthy options.

CONTACT HEATHER SMITH: hsmith@citybeat.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Our lunchbunch may be there this week.
I found these comments and reviews:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/32/1438723/restaurant/Cincinnati/Rising-Roll-Gourmet-Blue-Ash

note also you can click a pdf file link to get their full menu and prices - pretty extensive and interesting..

post edited by NYPIzzaNut - 2009/11/30 16:48:43
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/11/30 17:00:37 (permalink)
Soccer862923
Cheeseburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/01 08:50:04 (permalink)
Oops, don't know how I scanned over that. Sorry...
post edited by Soccer862923 - 2009/12/01 12:11:32
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/01 09:49:06 (permalink)
Russ and I posted on this just above please note.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/03 15:43:10 (permalink)
I wound up cancelling my participation in our lunch group this week due to a bad lingering cold.  The rest of our group ate in Middletown at a greasy spoon that will remain nameless as will its lousy food.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/04 00:33:35 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

I wound up cancelling my participation in our lunch group this week due to a bad lingering cold.  The rest of our group ate in Middletown at a greasy spoon that will remain nameless as will its lousy food.

Oh, don't do that.  Now, I'm intrigued.
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/04 09:50:50 (permalink)
Captain Howdy

NYPIzzaNut

I hate to review a place I have never been to and my amigos often have a different take on the food than I - I will advise you privately though.

donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/04 11:55:07 (permalink)
Thanks for your reply, NYPN.

A restaurant that has LLC ("limited liability company") attached to its name makes me wonder. What kind of liability are they trying to avoid?
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/05 16:48:13 (permalink)
Lots of restaurants are LLCs.   I do not believe there is any stigma attached.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/05 19:36:43 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Captain Howdy

NYPIzzaNut

I hate to review a place I have never been to and my amigos often have a different take on the food than I - I will advise you privately though.

Thanks for that.  And I can back up your fellow diners' opinion of the place.  Sadly, there just aren't too many good Road Food-type places in Middletucky these days.  The residents seem to have a greater than normal affinity for chain fare.  Ah, well.  At least there's still Milton's (and, to lesser degrees, Shaddocks, and [though part of a regional chain, and plagued with uneven service] El Rancho Grande).
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/05 19:42:11 (permalink)
Anybody ever try this place ( http://www.meadowlarkrestaurant.com/ )?  I haven't eaten there in a while, but the several meals I had there last year were pretty tasty.  It's a chic little bistro, with a definite crunchy vibe.  We'll be dining there again next weekend, and our looking quite forward to it.
donw9876
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 295
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/05 23:10:24 (permalink)
Captain Howdy
Sadly, there just aren't too many good Road Food-type places in Middletucky these days.  The residents seem to have a greater than normal affinity for chain fare.  Ah, well.  At least there's still Milton's (and, to lesser degrees, Shaddocks, and [though part of a regional chain, and plagued with uneven service] El Rancho Grande).

If you visit the forum at MiddletownUsa.com, the biggest story there is that Lone Star rebuilt.

A few weeks ago the wife and I went to O'Charley's. We usually have a pretty reliable experience there. This last time - the potato soup was as salty as sea water; grilled salmon was ultra salty; and I had to send back my steak not once, not twice, but three times.  They explained that the soup is now shipped in as a powdered base and comes that way. The steak, they had no explanation other than some idiot in the back likes to incinerate meat.

Off the subject of Middletown, another highly mediocre experience we had recently was at Toot's in Loveland. The food was just plain garbage. The fried pickles were (again) reeking of salt, in fact, too salty to eat. My simple reuben was ineptly grilled - the bread was not exactly grilled, it tasted like 2 day old dried bread that you give to the birds.

It's sorta hard to justify eating out sometimes when even the places that are not super but reliably "meh" turn plain awful.
post edited by donw9876 - 2009/12/05 23:12:18
NYPIzzaNut
Filet Mignon
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/12/06 12:20:01 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

Russ Jackson

First I heard of this - I have eaten at his bro's place and thought his pizza dough and crust was simply awful but lots of folks in your neck of the woods like it - you know how that goes.

If I hear anything more I will comment but I know from talking to Troni's staff that the two brothers are not exactly in sync.  (I knew that as soon as realized the punchee had opened in an Italian restaurant around the corner from his brother!)

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/listen-as-restaurant-owner-calls-911-to-report-that-his-brother-competitor-assaulted-him-426391.html

Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re: Southwest Ohio and Environs 2009/12/06 23:43:32 (permalink)
NYPIzzaNut

NYPIzzaNut

Russ Jackson

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/listen-as-restaurant-owner-calls-911-to-report-that-his-brother-competitor-assaulted-him-426391.html

Yeesh.  What a black eye this could give Troni's.
Captain Howdy
Hamburger
Re:Southwest Ohio and Environs (Open Chat) 2009/12/06 23:50:33 (permalink)
donw9876

Captain Howdy
Sadly, there just aren't too many good Road Food-type places in Middletucky these days.  The residents seem to have a greater than normal affinity for chain fare.  Ah, well.  At least there's still Milton's (and, to lesser degrees, Shaddocks, and [though part of a regional chain, and plagued with uneven service] El Rancho Grande).

If you visit the forum at MiddletownUsa.com, the biggest story there is that Lone Star rebuilt.

A few weeks ago the wife and I went to O'Charley's. We usually have a pretty reliable experience there. This last time - the potato soup was as salty as sea water; grilled salmon was ultra salty; and I had to send back my steak not once, not twice, but three times.  They explained that the soup is now shipped in as a powdered base and comes that way. The steak, they had no explanation other than some idiot in the back likes to incinerate meat.

Off the subject of Middletown, another highly mediocre experience we had recently was at Toot's in Loveland. The food was just plain garbage. The fried pickles were (again) reeking of salt, in fact, too salty to eat. My simple reuben was ineptly grilled - the bread was not exactly grilled, it tasted like 2 day old dried bread that you give to the birds.

It's sorta hard to justify eating out sometimes when even the places that are not super but reliably "meh" turn plain awful.

I love that site's forums for the (very legitimate) grousing about Middletown's city leadership alone.

Also, your assessment of O'Charley's doesn't really surprise me.  And for the life of me, I cannot figure out this region's unabashed love of places such as that, Applebee's, TGI Friday's, and even the non-chain purveyors of bland, uninspired sports bar fare.  It's like southwestern Ohioans are allergic to food containing even a hint of flavor or originality.
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 30
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1