Spamarama in Austin!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6723
2004/03/28 00:37:10 (permalink)

Spamarama in Austin!!

According to the Food Network, Austin will be hosting it's annual Spamarama! You can eat fried Spam, Spam jambalaya, Spam soup, Spam spring rolls, Spam on a stick, Spam stir-fry, Spam stuffed poblanos, Spam in grape leaves, Spam topped scallops, Spam jerky.......and on and on. There's a Spam Olympics and a Spam Toss. Their logo is "Keep Austin Weird". They award a Spamericas Cup. Has anybody ever attended? Bushie??? Sounds like fun!!!!

49 Replies Related Threads

Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 00:41:42 (permalink)
    Bloody vikings.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 00:48:32 (permalink)
    Grampy, the judges drink "Rusty Tails" which is a martini with a Spam-stuffed olive!!!
    Green_Chile
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 00:57:34 (permalink)
    MMM that Martini actually sounds worth trying.....any dessert offerings including Spam are bound to be very weird
    improviser
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 865
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 02:02:25 (permalink)
    I've always wanted to go to Spamarama. With a name that goofy, it's got to be great.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3732
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 02:23:27 (permalink)
    Not meaning to speak for Bushie, but if I am not mistaken, he lives in/near/around Austin, TEXAS. This event is held in God's country -- Austin, MINNESOTA. While I have never been fortunate enough to attend the Spamarama, I have visited the Spam Museum in Austin. Not quite sure if EVERYONE would consider the two-plus hour drive from Minneapolis to be worth it, but I loved SpamTown USA (as the billboard reads).

Steve
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 02:37:15 (permalink)
    Stevekoe, my SO said the same thing! It's held in Austin MN! Not so! It's in Austin, TX! go to www.spamarama.com. you'll see! I was surprised too! Those folks in Austin, TX get INTO their Spamarama!
    Cakes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 09:19:42 (permalink)
    I did a double take myself. Austin, MN is where Hormel is based and I think they have a Spam festival also.

And then there is Turkey Day that is celebrated in Worthington, MN and they compete with a another celebration that is in Texas also (I think).

The Spam festival in Texas was on the FNT yesterday. I saw all these booths and cooking competitions and not a fried Spam sandwich in sight! What is wrong with these people? That would be like a tomato festival with no pizza!

Cakes
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18343
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 13:50:52 (permalink)
    When we lived in the Virgin Islands the guy who was the importer of Spam, among many other things, always served Spam cubes sauteed in Cruzan rum (light and dark) as one of the hors d'oeuvre at his parties. It was great.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 13:53:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Cakes

I did a double take myself. Austin, MN is where Hormel is based and I think they have a Spam festival also.

And then there is Turkey Day that is celebrated in Worthington, MN and they compete with a another celebration that is in Texas also (I think).

The Spam festival in Texas was on the FNT yesterday. I saw all these booths and cooking competitions and not a fried Spam sandwich in sight! What is wrong with these people? That would be like a tomato festival with no pizza!

Cakes

I've never seen apizza at the Reynoldsburg Tomato Festival in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, "Birthplace of the Tomato." Bet you didn;t know that this Columbus suburb was, in fact, the birthplace of the tomato.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 14:36:34 (permalink)
    Lisa, you are correct, the "real" Spamarama is in Austin, TEXAS. It's the biggest celebration of pressed pork product in the country! (And, it is sanctioned by the Hormel corporation.) The 26th annual Spamarama will be held next Saturday, and Bushie will be there!

Although lleechef already posted the website, here it is again:

http://www.spamarama.com/

I actually think it's so popular simply because it's about something "weird", and Austin loves to celebrate weird. Keep Austin Weird is actually one of the city mottos.

http://www.keepaustinweird.com/

Thanks, Lisa, for bringing this up! Wish you and Z could make it down here for it.

Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 14:47:26 (permalink)
    I saw the show last night, loved it. I also knew anything that weird had to be in Texas (Baja Oklahoma) Join me for Spam and eggs for breakfast tomorrow.
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 15:58:29 (permalink)
    So if you are making a Spam Margherita ,do you frost the rim of the glass with Bacon bits?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 16:08:22 (permalink)
    Bushie, Spamarama sounds like a hoot! We are definately into WEIRD and that surely sounds WEIRD and fun! We'll make it down to Spamarama one of these years!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 18:12:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

Cakes

I've never seen apizza at the Reynoldsburg Tomato Festival in Reynoldsburg, Ohio, "Birthplace of the Tomato." Bet you didn;t know that this Columbus suburb was, in fact, the birthplace of the tomato.

The "birthplace of the tomato"????!!!!! and pray tell.what expert determined this factoid " />
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 18:43:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:

quote:

Cakes

The "birthplace of the tomato"????!!!!! and pray tell.what expert determined this factoid " />

Apparently they decided this without the rest of the world's knowledge:
    http://www.ci.reynoldsburg.oh.us/scrapbk2.html
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 22:09:15 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Stevekoe, my SO said the same thing! It's held in Austin MN! Not so! It's in Austin, TX! go to www.spamarama.com. you'll see! I was surprised too! Those folks in Austin, TX get INTO their Spamarama!

Lleechef,
    Will Monty Python's Flying Circus be filming a remote broadcast?
    Wonderfully, Livermushless Ort. Carlton in Steen-Kinds-Of-Spam-Selling Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Lleechef, do you realize HOW popular Spam is in Hawaii? It's even got local imitators, but they only account for roughly 5% of the market.
    P. P. S. Of course I own a copy of "Canned Ham" by Norman Greenbaum on a 45. Today he reportedly grows organic zucchini in Petaluma, California.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/28 22:50:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Lleechef,
    Will Monty Python's Flying Circus be filming a remote broadcast?
    Wonderfully, Livermushless Ort. Carlton in Steen-Kinds-Of-Spam-Selling Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. Lleechef, do you realize HOW popular Spam is in Hawaii? It's even got local imitators, but they only account for roughly 5% of the market.
    P. P. S. Of course I own a copy of "Canned Ham" by Norman Greenbaum on a 45. Today he reportedly grows organic zucchini in Petaluma, California.

Ort., I would travel to Austin if I thought Monty Python's Flying Circus would be singing, "Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, I don't like Spam"!!!!
    When this subject came up about the Spamarama, I said to SO, "Ya know, I've never eaten Spam." (And yes, I did know that they sell tremendous amounts of it in Hawaii. Do they grill it with pineapple? ) Then SO says to me, "we need to go to WalMart." Ok, says I. for what? Never mind. OK. We get into the store and I say, "Why are we here?" "Honey, to get you a can of Spam!"
    As luck would have it (for a French chef) we found the aisle where the canned goods were. I was dreading it........eating Spam. Went to the Spam section.......and.......WalMart was.........SPAMLESS! YES!!! SOLD OUT!!! Saved by WalMart!
    lleechef in Spam-deprived Anchorage, Alaska
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 13:53:33 (permalink)
    I didn't even know it was Spamorama festival time, and I made fried Spam and eggs for breakfast Saturday! Must be the hammy vibrations in the air.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 15:45:50 (permalink)
    Lone Star, I hope Bud didn't end up as SPAM!!!
    Lone Star
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 16:03:32 (permalink)

We can only hope that he gave his life for something more noble ----like an Easter ham.

We had the "Big Pig Party" yesterday - with tons of barbequed pork ribs!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 16:16:33 (permalink)
    Ham, ribs, bacon, pork chops, picnic shoulder ham.........but NOT SPAM!!!!
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 16:44:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Argent

So if you are making a Spam Margherita ,do you frost the rim of the glass with Bacon bits?

Of course not............you use pure lard..........makes all that salt stick better!
    Lone Star
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 17:04:47 (permalink)
    GACK!
    dan409
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 19:29:21 (permalink)
    Check out the SPAM website http://www.spam.com/ for more information on SPAM. It includes the SPAM family tree, the schedule for the SPAMMOBILE, the SPAM Museum in Austin MINNESOTA, and lots of SPAM recipes.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 19:30:18 (permalink)
    DOUBLE GACK! I have a hard time with lard and tequila in the same sip.
    Argent
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/03/29 21:47:55 (permalink)
    I thought you used the Lard to secure the Bacon Bits
    quote:
    Originally posted by chezkatie

quote:
    Originally posted by Argent

Of course not............you use pure lard..........makes all that salt stick better!
    kittypaw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/04/01 10:48:45 (permalink)
    When I was home on vacation, my mother passed along the Spam Musubi (riceball) recipe she learned growing up in Hawaii.

Spam Musubi
    -1 can SPAM
    -3 cups steaming hot Japanese rice
    -Onigiri box (rectangular musubi frame with a lid to compress riceball)
    -3-4 sheets of nori (dried seaweed) cut in half
    (optional- teriyaki sauce)
    -Bowl of cold water

--
    Slice SPAM lengthwise (you should get 6-8 slices)
    Fry till crispy. Lay on a paper towel to drain.

Place nori sheet over musubi mold. Layer hot rice on top,
    filling mold halfway. Lay a SPAM slice on the rice and continue
    filling with hot rice. Compress with top of musubi mold when rice
    fills the box. Remove top of musubi mold; extract musubi from box
    and wrap the remainder of the nori around the riceball. Dip a finger in the bowl of water and apply to the edge of the nori to make the nori stick to itself.

*Note: The musubi making surface must stay dry, otherwise rice will stick to the outside of the musubi. Unless you're going for that look, of course.

**Hawaiian style- Add a dash of teriyaki sauce along with the SPAM slice.

This is especially good hot, but also good cold, as a snack, for lunch, on a plane ride to college away from the Hawaiian islands you love so much...

dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/04/01 11:14:15 (permalink)
    I had almost forgotten about the Spamorama. This is one of the great, fun and weird parties Austin has every year, along with Eeyore's Birthday and Halloween on 6th. St. Veal Spamigiana is what I remember most on the food side; disgusting but hilarious. The band Sons of Uranium Savages always used to play the spamorama. They were a great, classically Weird Austin band, with such rockin' hits as 'Idi Amin is my Yard Man' and a revised version of the Burrito Bros. song Willin; Willie, for the outlaw himself 'And if ya give me....weed, beer and coke, and if we don't go broke...I'll be Willie, Willie Nelson'. Thanks for the memories roadies; have a blast for any of y'all that get there this year.
    db
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Spamarama in Austin!! 2004/04/01 12:41:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:

quote:

Cakes

It seems that a Reynoldsburg resident developed the first commercial tomato.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1