The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Spanish Village---Pictures!

Lone Star

• Total Posts: 1730
Spanish Village---Pictures! Tue, 07/22/03 1:59 PM (permalink)
My favorite Tex-Mex joint in the world has gone online, including photographs of all the menu items!

I don't know what the blah, blah, blah means on the "our story" page means, but knowing the owners it does make a little sense.

The place has been open since 1946, and I believe they are still using the same dishes from that time.

At lunchtime, the place is packed with suits, blue collars, and scrubs (it is halfway between downtown and the medical center). The walls are covered with Polaroids of insanely grinning people holding margaritas and wearing ridiculous somebreros. Gotta love it.

Enjoy the pics, and don't miss the place if you are ever in the Bayou city!

http://www.spanishvillagerestaurant.com/menu.html

EliseT

• Total Posts: 2849
    RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Tue, 07/22/03 4:03 PM (permalink)
    They charge for a dish of jalapenos? Is that usual most places? A bowl like that is usually sitting on the table at places her in L.A.

kangolpimp

• Total Posts: 119
      RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Tue, 07/22/03 7:42 PM (permalink)
      Charging for jalapenos is irksome to me, as well, but what may prove more disturbing is how little guacamole you get for $5. Click on the pic of the small, and try and imagine how many dips of that chip you think you'd get. Maximum 5, it looks like. A buck per chipful is just plain wrong. The rest of the prices and portion sizes seem in keeping with what I am used to, so I don't mean to step all over a beloved joint of yours, Lonestar. The food does look good. If I were in Houston I'd eat there tonight. I just don't think I'd order the guac.

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
        RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Fri, 07/15/05 10:34 AM (permalink)
        Thanks for the tip, Lone Star, it was great. Hadn't been there in 15 years, still the same.

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
          RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Fri, 07/15/05 11:27 AM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by EliseT

They charge for a dish of jalapenos? Is that usual most places? A bowl like that is usually sitting on the table at places her in L.A.

Elise, I think a bowl of peppers, or the cilantro/pepper/onion/carrot mix, is more of a California thing. We have a couple of places that give a free boat of the mix with drivethru,
          or there's a big condiment bowl inside where you are welcome to take as much as you want, but these seem the exception rather than the rule.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17795
            RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Fri, 07/15/05 11:50 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Lone Star

My favorite Tex-Mex joint in the world has gone online, including photographs of all the menu items!

I don't know what the blah, blah, blah means on the "our story" page means, but knowing the owners it does make a little sense.

The place has been open since 1946, and I believe they are still using the same dishes from that time.

At lunchtime, the place is packed with suits, blue collars, and scrubs (it is halfway between downtown and the medical center). The walls are covered with Polaroids of insanely grinning people holding margaritas and wearing ridiculous somebreros. Gotta love it.

Enjoy the pics, and don't miss the place if you are ever in the Bayou city!

http://www.spanishvillagerestaurant.com/menu.html

Wow! The prices have gone up a little since 1954.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
              RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Sun, 07/17/05 12:22 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by bill voss

quote:
              Originally posted by EliseT

Elise, I think a bowl of peppers, or the cilantro/pepper/onion/carrot mix, is more of a California thing. We have a couple of places that give a free boat of the mix with drivethru,
              or there's a big condiment bowl inside where you are welcome to take as much as you want, but these seem the exception rather than the rule.

That "mix", otherwise known as jalapenos con escabeche, isn't just a California thing. They certainly have it in southern Arizona and it comes in cans from several manufacturers that are available at Wal-Mart Supercenters (as well as regular groceries) in both CA and AZ. Unfortunately, the closest thing to a decent taqueria in my little AZ community JUST started charging for a dish (I was SHOCKED!--they used to just have them in a big stainless container from which you could take all you want like most places in SF).

On the other hand, it's rare either here or in AZ to encounter this mix in sit-down Mexican places (as opposed to taquerias). I've considered bringing my own since I always have several cans in my pantry for when I eat Mexican at home. A good taco's not as good without a couple of hunks of marinated jalapeno on it.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
                RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Sun, 07/17/05 12:26 AM (permalink)
                Here's my problem with Spanish Village. Both the name and the menu (Paella Valenciana!!) suggest that the owners are not Mexican but Spanish and that they are probably serving Mexican food (along with a couple of internationally known Spanish dishes) because that's what they think (maybe correctly) will sell in Houston. That's really sad IMHO. A good SPANISH restaurant could be a gem, whereas Mexican places are a dime a dozen in Texas (OK, maybe not ones as good as Lone Star says this one is, but still, there's got to be other great Mexican in Houston).

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Sun, 07/17/05 10:41 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by BT

Here's my problem with Spanish Village. Both the name and the menu (Paella Valenciana!!) suggest that the owners are not Mexican but Spanish and that they are probably serving Mexican food (along with a couple of internationally known Spanish dishes) because that's what they think (maybe correctly) will sell in Houston. That's really sad IMHO. A good SPANISH restaurant could be a gem, whereas Mexican places are a dime a dozen in Texas (OK, maybe not ones as good as Lone Star says this one is, but still, there's got to be other great Mexican in Houston).

Unfortunately I did not get to go to Spanish Village on my last baseball trip because they close on Sundays (despite their Website indicating they are open until 9PM on Sundays) I did make fantastic find in Houston called El Pueblito Cafe only a couple of miles away. Not only do they serve Mexican Cuisine, but they serve Guatemalen cuisine as well!

olphart

• Total Posts: 289
                    RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Sun, 07/17/05 11:46 AM (permalink)
                    I went to Spanish Village many times as a small kid, but I don’t remember the food at all. I hate to base my review on a single recent visit, but the food we had there was adequate at best. It was just plain ol’ Tex-Mex.

I have seen a number of reviews mentioning the wonderful margaritas served there, and I have to wonder how much that affects the reviews of the food? This is not meant to imply that Lone Star is a lush or anything, but, you know, it does make one wonder!

sugarlander

• Total Posts: 254
                      RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Mon, 07/18/05 2:20 PM (permalink)
                      The frozen margarita was good--just one, but pricey.
                      It has the consistency of shaved ice, and is tiny, served in a martini glass.

cyrano

• Total Posts: 120
                        RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Thu, 07/21/05 10:46 AM (permalink)
                        My parents lived on the east side of Houston when they first got married in 1951 and conceived me (in that order, of course). They loved Spanish Village then and made the occasional trip across town to go back when we moved to Spring Branch in the mid-50s, but it wasn't really on my radar.

Then years later, practicing law in Houston, I was coming back into town from an appearance in JP court on the east side, driving up Almeda, and saw teh restaurant. I'd heard about it and decided to stop in for lunch. The food was terrific, very classic Tex-Mex comfort food that tasted oddly familiar.

When I told my mother about it, she said it should taste familiar, she had fed it to me for nine months. There are other places that do Tex-Mex better, but Spanish Village was always a paradigm of the type for me.

Farfromhome

• Total Posts: 108
                          RE: Spanish Village---Pictures! Wed, 07/27/05 7:33 PM (permalink)
                          These pictures really make me homesick for Houston :(

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com