Sparky's, Northampton, Mass. Closes

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4615
2007/10/05 17:02:22 (permalink)

Sparky's, Northampton, Mass. Closes

A hotdog and burger joint on Main Street here in Northampton closed after less than a year.

They fully renovated it. They offered excellent products. They used local, organic, high-quality ingredients. And it seems to have failed.

Meanwhile, their original place in Brooklyn apparently thrives.

I'm not sure they advertised enough. There is tremendous foot traffic past the place (Northampton was named one of the top 8 downtowns in America last week) ... The food was okay.

They didn't ask me, but ...

Their prices -- although for first class food -- were a little on the high side.

Their buns were too big for the dogs, dwarfing them.

If you wanted fries, you had to order them as a side and you'd get a load big enough to share with everyone else in the place (and unfortunately had to pay a commensurate price for what you got).

The counter service people always seemed to be on the phone when you were ordering from them ... combined with their almost Goth dress (which will pass here better than anyplace in the country) was just a bit too much.

The place seemed valid, but just never took off.

Word in the newspaper is the rent paid for the month. I don't know about the employees (I suspect they may be waiting) Maybe they are rethinking things. Maybe they'll read this.

The only links I could find:
http://www.chowhound.com/topics/387467
http://www.farmfresh.org/food/member.php?fn=103

6 Replies Related Threads

dirtdog58
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Sparky's, Northampton, Mass. Closes 2007/10/06 08:38:27 (permalink)
    seem's to me they were doomed from the begining. I've never heard of this place until now,guess they did'nt advertise at all.
    Star0082
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Sparky's, Northampton, Mass. Closes 2007/10/06 18:32:55 (permalink)
    Question, Where on earth was this place in Northampton? I have spent plenty of time downtown in the last year and don't have any idea where it was. I always believed that Northampton needed a good hotdog and hamburg place and would have tried it our if I knew about it. Never want to wish anyone bad luck but a dog is a dog and a burger is just a burger. T.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sparky's, Northampton, Mass. Closes 2007/10/07 07:24:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Star0082

Question, Where on earth was this place in Northampton? I have spent plenty of time downtown in the last year and don't have any idea where it was. I always believed that Northampton needed a good hotdog and hamburg place and would have tried it our if I knew about it. Never want to wish anyone bad luck but a dog is a dog and a burger is just a burger. T.
    Actually they featured top quality dogs and top quality burgers -- for better or worse.

They were across the street from Pulaski Park in the space that was the JavaNet Cafe.
    Hotdoggintheus
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Sparky's, Northampton, Mass. Closes 2007/10/10 14:38:47 (permalink)
    I never heard of it til now. But if ur looking for a place thats ok in the area check out Pete's in Hadley or Tom's in South Deerfield. For more check out www.hotdoggintheus.com
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Sparky's, Northampton, Mass. Closes 2007/10/10 19:50:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hotdoggintheus

I never heard of it til now. But if ur looking for a place thats ok in the area check out Pete's in Hadley or Tom's in South Deerfield. For more check out www.hotdoggintheus.com

I agree ... ate at Nick's Nest today ... Life is good ...

(I am actually sleeping across the street from Super Duper Wienie in Bridgeport tonight and tomorrow ... NYC during the day tomorrow, but I digress)

Life is good.
    Bearadise
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Sparky's, Northampton, Mass. Closes 2010/06/14 20:39:29 (permalink)
    I know I'm late to the dance but...

wheregreggeats.com
    A hotdog and burger joint on Main Street here in Northampton closed after less than a year.

They fully renovated it. They offered excellent products. They used local, organic, high-quality ingredients. And it seems to have failed.

Meanwhile, their original place in Brooklyn apparently thrives.

The money spent to "renovate" it was poorly spent on one major point. The open brick face walls were wonderful. I know I for one was bummed that they covered them up.

wheregreggeats.com
    I'm not sure they advertised enough. There is tremendous foot traffic past the place (Northampton was named one of the top 8 downtowns in America last week) ... The food was okay.

They didn't do much main stream advertising, they targeted the Goth and indy crowd. The same oones that sit out front asking for change so they can go in and buy something. They should have included people who had money in their pockets to stay with...

On the local chat boards (masslive -DOT- com and others) the place was crucified for what they did to the walls and for the menu -V- price.

wheregreggeats.com
    They didn't ask me, but ...

Their prices -- although for first class food -- were a little on the high side.

Their buns were too big for the dogs, dwarfing them.

If you wanted fries, you had to order them as a side and you'd get a load big enough to share with everyone else in the place (and unfortunately had to pay a commensurate price for what you got).

The counter service people always seemed to be on the phone when you were ordering from them ... combined with their almost Goth dress (which will pass here better than anyplace in the country) was just a bit too much.

See above reply.

wheregreggeats.com
    The place seemed valid, but just never took off.

In my observation, and visits It just couldn't decide what it wanted to be. A hip-college-place, a locals-eat-here kind of place, a touristy kind of place, a place where the street-rats could call home. In the end, they could not be everything to everyone, so they became nothing to anyone...

Sad to see it go under, the food was fair to good. It was however a place you stop in while you're downtown, it was not a place one would head out for as a destination.

Rich

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1