Speckled Trout Cafe - Blowing Rock, NC

Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2006/03/03 01:04:45 (permalink)

Speckled Trout Cafe - Blowing Rock, NC

I'm surprising my wife and making the trip to the mountains Saturday for our anniversary. I plan on centering the trip around antique hunting and the Speckled Trout Cafe on Main Street. Anyone been there lately or in the past? It was given a pretty good review in the past here and is under the search engine on the site.

I'll report back on Sunday..... may try the smoked trout omlette.

Dennis in Cary

4 Replies Related Threads

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Speckled Trout Cafe - Blowing Rock, NC 2006/03/08 14:53:46 (permalink)
    Well, sad to report that the food was fair here overall. Very limited lunchtime menu. My wife ordered the fish and chips which was unlike what we expected. The fish was flounder and the chips were quartered potates deep fried til DARK brown. Her slaw was "ehh" and no bread of any kind. The really sad thing is she has been sick since that night.

I had the breakfast platter which worked out to be country ham, scrambled eggs, grits, and toast. My meal was pretty good to me, and the ham was pretty good.

Overall considering lingering "problems" we gave it 50% for a return visit. I think their dinner menu is probably much more extensive than lunch.

BTW, passed by Sonny's Grill and it was very busy at 2:00 in the afternoon. Cheeseburger in Paradise is closed down. Looks like either a fire or MAJOR renovations as the second fllor was open the the outside and you could see major damage of some type.

Dennis in Cary
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Speckled Trout Cafe - Blowing Rock, NC 2006/03/08 17:34:59 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about your experience.

We have tried Woodlands BBQ twice now and quite frankly they were terrible...both times. I'm not sure why they were selected as one of the recommended bbq sites by the state but 2 times is enough. It simply is not any good.

Blowing Rock is a great area to visit but the restaurants always seem to be more hype than substance.

Spasgetti's is pretty good italian food...when in BR to relax I would highly recommend eating there. It's across from the outlets.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Speckled Trout Cafe - Blowing Rock, NC 2006/03/08 17:42:49 (permalink)
    Thanks for the report. I haven't been to Blowing Rock in years. I was thinking of a Fall trip to Boone (ASU) for a football game (I have ex-students in the band). I'll skip the jaunt to Blowing Rock and stick to restaurants in Boone.

DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Speckled Trout Cafe - Blowing Rock, NC 2006/03/10 10:14:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jcbbq

Sorry to hear about your experience.

We have tried Woodlands BBQ twice now and quite frankly they were terrible...both times. I'm not sure why they were selected as one of the recommended bbq sites by the state but 2 times is enough. It simply is not any good.

Blowing Rock is a great area to visit but the restaurants always seem to be more hype than substance.

Spasgetti's is pretty good italian food...when in BR to relax I would highly recommend eating there. It's across from the outlets.

Thanks for the tip on Woodland's, we almost stopped there that day. I told myself I had yet to find good BBQ in themountains and didn't want another disaster like before. What was it like anyway?

Dennis in Cary
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1