Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/04/26 11:49:55 (permalink)
Wish I could. My Dad wasn't one for recipes, and everything was always different. My guess would be that he'd make a basic Manhattan clam chowder, and at the last he'd take it off the heat and stir in some whole milk or half and half. I know sometimes he used evaporated (not sweet) milk. Maybe that kept it from curdling from the acid in the tomatos, or maybe he just cooked the tomato base long enough before adding the clams to cut the acid. Just remember it was pretty good, and we kids mostly hated tomatos.
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/05/01 22:28:03 (permalink)
I guess it depends on where we eat it, but my good friends from Rhode Island make their "Rhode Island style" clam chowder (and it is definitely clam, no other seafood) with potatoes, and no vegetables. Broth is definitely clear. It's delicious, very smooth, and not spicy at all.
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/05/01 23:36:06 (permalink)
It's called Manhattan clam chowder. I grew up with it and never had a bowl of New England style till I was an adult. My dad had a killer recipe. He always used big fresh clams and lots of them.
pastorpeace
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/05/02 13:53:55 (permalink)
Can you post the recipe WVHillbilly?
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/05/02 14:38:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by pastorpeace

Can you post the recipe WVHillbilly?

I wish I had it Pastor. It was lots of clams in big chunks, canned tomatos mashed up, potatos, carrots, celery, onion, parsley, ground pepper. He would always get enough clams to steam some for eating and use the leftover broth. He also collected the excess juice from the shuckers.
Never waste anything around a clam.
fabulousoyster
  • Total Posts : 1855
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/27 21:10:00 (permalink)
Ahhhhhh, Manhattan Clam Chowder with lots of bacon, tomatoes, clams, potatoes, parsley, rosemary....
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18368
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/27 21:52:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by fabulousoyster

Ahhhhhh, Manhattan Clam Chowder with lots of bacon, tomatoes, clams, potatoes, parsley, rosemary....

That's clam soup. Chowder isn't red.
JohnRF
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/27 22:05:59 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

From your posts in this thread it sounds like you think that clam chowder shouldn't have any tomatos in it.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/27 22:19:00 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JohnRF

quote:

quote:

From your posts in this thread it sounds like you think that clam chowder shouldn't have any tomatos in it.

That is correct. Although, I did once have a wonderful clam soup that had tomatoes in it at a place called Ivar's in Seattle. They called it chowder, but they were wrong.
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 00:01:21 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That is correct. Although, I did once have a wonderful clam soup that had tomatoes in it at a place called Ivar's in Seattle. They called it chowder, but they were wrong.

Manhattan Clam Chowder is red. It has no dairy products in it and is not thickened. It is a popular dish in the mid Atlantic area. That's a simple fact.
You can say that chowder is only cream based, you can even spell it "chowda" or "chowdah." You would be wrong on both counts.
But go ahead, stick your fingers in your ears and yell "LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU."
saps
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 01:48:51 (permalink)
Fom the Merriam-Webster Online dictionary:

Main Entry: 2chowder
Function: noun
Etymology: French chaudière kettle, contents of a kettle, from Late Latin caldaria -- more at CAULDRON
: a soup or stew of seafood (as clams or fish) usually made with milk or tomatoes, salt pork, onions, and other vegetables (as potatoes); also : a soup resembling chowder.

roadtripxx
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 07:00:25 (permalink)
thanks for sharing that shannon..
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 10:16:25 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WVHillbilly

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Manhattan Clam Chowder is red. It has no dairy products in it and is not thickened. It is a popular dish in the mid Atlantic area. That's a simple fact.
You can say that chowder is only cream based, you can even spell it "chowda" or "chowdah." You would be wrong on both counts.
But go ahead, stick your fingers in your ears and yell "LALALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU."

Right! A guy from New York who claims he's a hillbilly would certainly recognize chowder.

Ho Hum.
JohnRF
Junior Burger
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 10:57:29 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Right! A guy from New York who claims he's a hillbilly would certainly recognize chowder.

Ho Hum.

Two important definitions from Miriam-Webster Online

1. Main Entry: 2chowder
Etymology: French chaudière kettle, contents of a kettle, from Late Latin caldaria -- more at CAULDRON
: a soup or stew of seafood (as clams or fish) usually made with milk or tomatoes, salt pork, onions, and other vegetables (as potatoes); also : a soup resembling chowder

2. Main Entry: chow·der·head
Pronunciation: -"hed
Etymology: alteration of dialect jolterhead blockhead
: DOLT, BLOCKHEAD
- chow·der·head·ed /'chau-d&r-"he-d&d/ adjective
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 11:02:21 (permalink)
I don't recall anyone calling you a chowderhead, but if you believe yourself to be one, hey, feel free.
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 11:14:15 (permalink)
Michael, Those comments were neither necessary or accurate. I've been eating Manhattan Style Clam Chowder all my life and all my life it's been called Manhattan Style Clam Chowder. Not Manhattan Style Clam Soup. It even comes in commercial cans and on the can it says "Manhattan Style Clam Chowder." My father cooked clam chowder on a regular basis and it was always Manhattan style.

As for my geo-culinary roots: Having spent my first 17 yrs in NY, I was exposed to a wide variety of ethnic cuisines and have carried them with me throughout my life, which since then, has been lived in the hills of WV. Being widely traveled and always on the look out for good food, I believe the blend of various ethnic cuisines I grew up with, the good ol home style country cooking I've learned from my WV neighbors and my g'mother and the wide variety of cuisines sampled in my travels combined with my passion for cooking makes me fairly well qualified to comment on such mundane topics as clam chowder.

Now please Michael, stop directing your anger toward me. It does nothing to enhance the sophistocated persona you try and present.
JohnRF
Junior Burger
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 11:25:44 (permalink)
quote:
Now please Michael, stop directing your anger toward me. It does nothing to enhance the sophistocated persona you try and present.

Michael. Please.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 11:35:37 (permalink)
quote:

Michael, Those comments were neither necessary or accurate. I've been eating Manhattan Style Clam Chowder all my life and all my life it's been called Manhattan Style Clam Chowder. Not Manhattan Style Clam Soup. It even comes in commercial cans and on the can it says "Manhattan Style Clam Chowder." My father cooked clam chowder on a regular basis and it was always Manhattan style.

As for my geo-culinary roots: Having spent my first 17 yrs in NY, I was exposed to a wide variety of ethnic cuisines and have carried them with me throughout my life, which since then, has been lived in the hills of WV. Being widely traveled and always on the look out for good food, I believe the blend of various ethnic cuisines I grew up with, the good ol home style country cooking I've learned from my WV neighbors and my g'mother and the wide variety of cuisines sampled in my travels combined with my passion for cooking makes me fairly well qualified to comment on such mundane topics as clam chowder.

Once again you make a mistake, over and beyond your personal problems involving putting clams in tomato soup. It is not anger directed towards you (by me, at any rate), it is profound sadness for you. Pity, if you will.
saps
  • Total Posts : 1560
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 12:57:20 (permalink)
The first chowders had neither tomatoes nor cream in them. I would venture to guess that the briny "Rhode Island Clam Chowder" was the precursor to both Manhattan and New England Clam chowder.
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/06/28 13:22:03 (permalink)
If anyone is really interested iin clam chowder, go to the recipes forum. I've posted some info.
TheHotPepper.com
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 322
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/09/04 22:32:07 (permalink)
Add some fresh oregano, you'll like what it does.
marzsit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 360
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/12/03 04:04:18 (permalink)
on the west coast, chowder can contain anything and we still call it chowder :)

at ivar's, they don't call it manhattan style, it's called "red". new england is called "white", and the smoked salmon chowder is just plain wonderful :)

we dunk our fries in tarter sauce as well. :)
evenball
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2008/01/20 22:59:01 (permalink)
I'm in Canada and its chowder, whether Manhattan or New England. Personally, I love Manhattan. I'm not very fond of cream of clam soup. I have a KILLER recipe that has basil and thyme and vegies fried in bacon fat. Unfortunately for you. It dies with me.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1