Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
spweimerskirch
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
2004/01/24 21:58:48 (permalink)

Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder

Love the Tomato's,

Easy and awesome. No fresh clams no big deal, canned work, but don't overlook your local asian market frozen section (usually big guys found in Japanese frozen sections).

Big pot.All good things start with a quarter pound of bacon(and strain). Hold onto bacon after you get grease, some like my Gramp's like it as a garnish at the end.

Celery, onion(white), shallots, garlic, white pepper(fresh ground if you have it), carrots,cook in the bacon grease until cooked down. No exact amounts in my cooking because on any given day I can cook for 20-120 people. E-mail me if you want the specific's.

After it is cooked down add a little butter, olive oil, fennel, green onion and/or chive. Leaks, I like a lot. Crushed fresh tomato's or canned will do nicely. simmer on low heat again until cooked down.

Add a few cups of chicken stock for the natural salt flavor..

Add your clam broth and now is a good time to add your non-fresh seasoning. I like a little heat so I add a very fine dice of assorted peppers. Cerrano chili's never killed anyone, but again a very fine dice and a small amount.

We all know fresh clams are the best, but when in Rome. If you find some nice big ones have at it. Steam and dice. I have a friend who also boils shells before hand for clam broth, I find there to be too much sand grains when done this way, but toy with it if you will.

Dice clams and add a little extra canned for that extra love if you like it is good. Another little secret is get the clams and the canned clams ina sauce pan with your heat and saute for a few moments then disgard the peppers and add to chowder for that extra burn.

Just remember and I am sorry I got ahead of myself, those fresh clams only need to go into the chowder about the last hour to 45 minutes of the the final simmering process.

Must have oyster crackers and as I said my Gramp who has been making this stuff for 60plus yrs. likes a little bacon as a garnish at the end. Mom likes a little chive, dill, and a little pad of butter..

Hope you enjoy. Old family recipe that's also why I was not so specific.

Cheers,
Shannon

52 Replies Related Threads

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/25 00:50:24 (permalink)
    You know, this does sound good---and i dont mean to offend--but---CHOWDA IS WHITE!!!
    spweimerskirch
    Junior Burger
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/25 17:14:11 (permalink)
    TIKI,
    Manhattan Clam Chowder last time I checked included the good old tomato,thus making it red. Thanks for playing though. Much love and enjoy the recipe.
    Cheers,
    S
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/25 17:32:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

You know, this does sound good---and i dont mean to offend--but---CHOWDA IS WHITE!!!

I do not wish to offend either but I agree............Clam Chowder is white and the fewer ingredients, the better.............let the clams "shine"!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18933
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/25 18:18:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by spweimerskirch

Love the Tomato's,

Not to quibble, but if it's red it's clam soup, not chowder.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/26 08:40:50 (permalink)
    Aw quitcherbitchin, whatever it is, its called Manhatten Clam Chowder, nobody's going to change the name, and its an excellant alternative way to consume clams. As I've stated before, locally, everyone makes NE chowder...and most make it poorly. I long to find the restaurant that makes a good Manhatten clam chowder, just for relief from the preponderence of clotted clam coronary chowder I find in Syracuse.

Thanks for the recipe, and I'll try it against mine soon!
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1455
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/26 10:23:17 (permalink)
    Yup!
    spweimerskirch
    Junior Burger
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/26 13:29:48 (permalink)

Beans,
    I like the comment and it certainly put's all in perspective. All I know is the recipe is tasty and i have been making it for my guests and restaurant customers for years. Coming form the East Coast I have, also, had all the bad chowder I can take. This one is just a nice little warm up in the midst of winter. I'm in the Midwest now and it seems people around here find it to warm up what ails thwm. Soup or Chowder I do not care, but the end result is good flavor and pretty easy prep..
    Cheers,
    Shannon
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/26 13:32:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

Isn't this the no beans in chili arguement, just moved north?

yes it is but unlike Texans--I LIKE that manhatten stuff even if it isnt chowda! Hey just had a thought--might be that Manhatten Clam stuff is CHOWDER and that New Englands is CHOWDA! ---

BTW---this recipe looks better then most ive seen and if i can FIND any clams here in Oklahoma i think id give it a shot.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/26 13:35:00 (permalink)
    quote:

Beans,
    I like the comment and it certainly put's all in perspective. All I know is the recipe is tasty and i have been making it for my guests and restaurant customers for years. Coming form the East Coast I have, also, had all the bad chowder I can take. This one is just a nice little warm up in the midst of winter. I'm in the Midwest now and it seems people around here find it to warm up what ails thwm. Soup or Chowder I do not care, but the end result is good flavor and pretty easy prep..
    Cheers,
    Shannon

Did I understand you to say in an earlier post that you are in the Columbus area? If so, what is the name of your restaurant. While I'd never call your red soup chowder, being from New England, I'd certainly like to drive in from Gahanna to try it.
    spweimerskirch
    Junior Burger
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/26 13:49:30 (permalink)
    M.H.,
    I own a local catering company called Pierre's downtown and eventhough I am not open to public walk-ins if you stop downtown I will make an exception and serve you up a bowl and maybe even a beer for a fellow Foodie. You may have to eat in the kitchen, but it's about 10,000 square feet with about 10-20 of us going nuts at all times, but that's half the fun. Making more Manhattan ? tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    SPW
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/26 21:40:52 (permalink)
    10000sqfeet--that will hold us all!!!! Come on everyone---we're going to Columbus for red clam soup!!!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/01/29 19:01:02 (permalink)
    quote:

M.H.,
    I own a local catering company called Pierre's downtown and eventhough I am not open to public walk-ins if you stop downtown I will make an exception and serve you up a bowl and maybe even a beer for a fellow Foodie. You may have to eat in the kitchen, but it's about 10,000 square feet with about 10-20 of us going nuts at all times, but that's half the fun. Making more Manhattan ? tomorrow.
    Cheers,
    SPW

You're Pierre Wolf. I just read about you in one of the This Week newspapers. I had a great dinner at your place on West Fifth a couple of years ago.

But that still doesn't change the fact that if it's red it is soup, not chowder.
    spweimerskirch
    Junior Burger
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/02/02 17:44:04 (permalink)
    Hi Everyone,
    No not Pierre Wolf, but his partner. Let the unmasking continue. Cheers everyone and has anyone tried my Soup yet?
    Cheers,
    Shannon
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/03/26 10:58:54 (permalink)
    I used to get confused on the two types of chowder
    New England and Manhatten

I would try to think New could mean white like fresh and new
    Man-Mahhatten could mean Man thats red hot

Silly, but at least it helped me to distinguish between the two
    By the way, I like Manhatten the best
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/03/26 11:08:37 (permalink)
    One of my favorite thing to get at lunchtime from the takeout counter at the Grand Central Oyster Bar is a half and half -- half New England and half Manhattan. They're on strike right now -- I'll have to wait until they settle.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/03/26 11:21:41 (permalink)
    Willy: Youv'e got to be kidding us. That's atrocious! Is that maybe what caused the kitchenstaff to go on strike?
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7364
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/03/26 11:50:09 (permalink)
    I'd strike too if someone told me to mix tomato clam soup with creamy chowdah!
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/03/26 15:46:07 (permalink)
    Puhleeze - enough with the "it has to be white to be chowda" nonsense. You are entitled to your preferences, but my dictionary says;
    "chow-der (chou'deer) n. A thick seafood soup often in a milk base."

Often does not mean ALWAYS...

I love a good New England Clam Chowder, but I have found that I like the red Manhatten Clam Chowder even more. What is important is the clams, and I can eat a lot more of Manhatten style without all the cream and butter in it and not worry about decreasing my life expectancy. I love Manhatten with a clear spicy red broth with chunks of tomatoes, potatoes, celery, some onion, and clams the best. And IT IS CHOWDER. I have yet to see one can on the grocery store shelves that says Manhatten Clam Soup, they ALL say Manhatten Clam Chowder.

I understand the strike at the Grand Central Oyster Bar was really due to an argument over serving fettucini with a red alfredo sauce.
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/03/26 16:06:27 (permalink)
    Just as an FYI (and in an attempt to deflect anymore criticism of my soup-blending), the strike is over:

Oyster Bar strike is over

by Lisa Fickenscher

The nearly four-month old strike at the Oyster Bar restaurant, as union officials and the restaurant's management reached a settlement late Thursday. The striking workers went back to work on Friday.

Terms of the agreement were not disclosed, but at least one contentious issue regarding replacement workers was resolved. A condition of the settlement is that the restaurant will not be allowed to retain all of the replacement workers it hired while 72 of its employees, members of Local 100, were striking.

At issue were workers wages, pension and health benefits.

Oyster Bar, general manager, Michael Garvey, says, "Our work has not ended. It will take a lot to make sure there is harmony in the restaurant."
    Copyright 2004, Crain Communications, Inc
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7364
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/03/26 16:16:48 (permalink)
    The term "chowder" comes from the French word "chaudiere" which is a seafood stew made with butter, onions, potatoes and creme fraiche. When the tomatoes and oil and garlic appear on the scene, it is no longer a chowder but a form of bouillabaisse. Technically speaking.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/03/26 17:45:59 (permalink)
    Willy: you are forgiven. We never hold grudges on Roadfood. and, anyway, "It's everyone to his own taste", said the old lady as she kissed the cow. (Old Irish saying)

And, if cream makes it a chowder (what's that great thin clear broth they serve in Rhode Island that they call chowder?) and tomatoes make it a soup, and Bouillabaisse is a soup, not a stew, how can that great Oyster Bar dish called an Oyster Roast not be a chowder? And what about cream of anything soup? Why aren't they chowders?

My point is, call it whatever you want, just dont call that vodka drink a Martini!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5487
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/04/14 23:03:26 (permalink)
    I don't care what you call it either, but I sorta followed Ppweimerskirch's receipe tonight and the soup came out really good. This version saved me a ton of calories and fat since I didn't use a 1/4 lb of real butter or a qt of half&half like I would have with New England chowder. I diced up 6 slices of bacon and used 3 cups of de-fatted chicken broth. All the fat came from the bacon and their drippings.

MikeS.
    eaglerich
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/05/18 15:10:16 (permalink)
    I love New England chowder and I make a pretty tasty one, if I do say so. But watching my cholesterol and saturated fats has led me to making Manhattan chowder, and I find that it also is pretty tasty.I completely eliminate the bacon and let the flavor of the clams and veggies dominate. Whatever you call it, and which ever way you prepare it, it should be all about the clams.
    pastorpeace
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2004/07/13 04:28:29 (permalink)
    New here... a few questions/thoughts. Do people have issues with manhattan when it's creamy? The first time i ever had it was at Nye's Polonaise Room in downtown Minneapolis. Amazing stuff, it had halved cherry tomatos and the sauce was thick and pink. I've tried many times to replicate this and have come somewhat close but not the same as how they make it. Some of the few tricks i've found is that the bacon has to be added at the VERY end, i'm talking like last 5 minutes. It leaves the bacon with it's full flavor and doesn't taint the broth too much. I always find that the clam flavor disappears much more in Manhattan than in NE what with the tomatos making up a big part of the base and taking the forefront. The idea seems to me is not have a third strong competing flavor go against the clams. But anyway, I like to have very few other vegetables outside of the tomatoes and potatoes and i like it creamy so some cream is always needed, but why do i barely find any mention of this on the net in recipes and such.
    Trask
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/02/18 20:26:05 (permalink)
    Here in clam country on the Pac coast New England style rules but there are inroads to the Manhattan variety every so often. Even a few restaurants have it on their menu despite the heresy it invokes to most folks here. I've had the best at a local food fair where the makers just make it for fun and served it at these type of events. A pleasant surprise. One place gave it a bad name by overloading it with tomatoe paste - ugh!
    I miss the thyme laden clam dish that I enjoyed as a youngster at the NY & NJ diners and along the shore of those states. I now make it with great success from fresh dug clams near home. Occassionally I'll use canned clams but lots of clam broth and taste there is. My preferrence is the red but there are some good but lots of poor white chowders around here. My vote goes to "Doogers" which are located in Cannon Beach, Seaside, Warrenton, Or and Longbeach, Wa.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/04/26 10:48:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

There's also a Rhode Island clam chowder that's clear (well, the stock is, anyway. One day I'll score a recipe and give it a taste) and I have walked out of seafood places when they tell me they have no Manhattan Clam chowder. That extra little bite that tomatoes give it is to die for, so I make it myself (from a recipe remarkably similar to spweimerskirch's, too, especially my desire to not dirty up a measuring cup or spoon needlessly). I do use canned tomatoes, since fresh are a pain to find in winter, when chowder is the best it gets.

We dig clams up at the lakefront from time to time and steam them open and eat them with a bit of butter. YUMMMMM!

I've also had corn chowder, and there's no WAY to make that white. It's not bad either. I knew I moved from Milwaukee to farm country for a reason. Well, my fiancee owned the house and I rented is the real reason, but corn from a stand is God's gift to the wise.
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/04/26 11:11:23 (permalink)
    Seacrest restaurant in va beach had the best manhattan style clam chowder back in the day. great seafood too. (greek influence)

man, i miss the food in that area....blue pete's, seacrest, and crab cakes and watermelon shooters at the baja.

Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/04/26 11:13:39 (permalink)
    The Rhode Island "clear" chowder recipes I've seen have been for fish chowder, not clam, but I'm sure someone has done it. RI chowder I've made has been similiar to making a New England chowder, but with more vegetables (no tomatos) and no dairy added at the end. Like in a New England chowder, the potatos cook enough to give the broth some body, so it's not perfectly clear.

Can't make corn chowder white? Are you just referring to the color yellow corn adds? In my experience corn chowder has only been a cream-based (i.e. "white") dish.

My Dad would make many types of chowder, including his own hybrid which was a Manhattan chowder with some dairy added. Something akin to a briny cream of tomato soup. I've never heard of it elsewhere but in this thread.
    pastorpeace
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Spicy Manhattan Clam Chowder 2006/04/26 11:26:54 (permalink)
    My Dad would make many types of chowder, including his own hybrid which was a Manhattan chowder with some dairy added. Something akin to a briny cream of tomato soup. I've never heard of it elsewhere but in this thread.

Think you could score the recipe? I had some Manhattan at a local Polish restaurant called Nye's Pollinaise Room, and evidently it must of only happened on that day, as since I've been back, they have no recollection of it! It had halved cherry tomatoes in it, chunks of bacon and some potatoes, clams of course, but it was the base that was so amazing... It was creamy! I've not been able to replicate this recipe and would love to hear more about the ellusive creamy manhattan clam chowder.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1