"Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
beachykeen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/07/03 13:46:45 (permalink)
It seems that there is a consensus: DO NOT use the marinade that you marinated the meat in. Just bring the leftover marinade to a BOIL!!! 212Degrees - that is hotter than the meat has to be. It should kill off any salmonella, trichinosis etc. If I am going to pay the shipping costs for a couple bottles of marinade, or if I am going to go to the (Yummy) trouble of making my own - I am NOT going to pour it down the sink!
beachykeen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 7
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/07/11 13:44:28 (permalink)
Just an FYI - I live in Cocoa Beach Fl. and I am going to char-grill my first Spiedies tonight in a homemade marinade (I spent 6 years in Syracuse, NY in the early 80's and vaguely remember trying a bite of one at party once)...Anyway - had business lunch at the Olive Garden on Hwy. 520 on Merritt Island FL. and they had "Chicken Spiedinis" on the menu and they were described as marinated olive oil and Italian-seasoned chicken served on skewers. I remember reading a post from "Scorereader" that the derivation of the word "Spiedie" may come from the word "spiedo" - to spit; and "spiedino" - a skewer - I'll bet this is their (lame?) version of a Spiedie. I didn't try this "Chicken Spiedini" (it probably would have discouraged me from making my own) Just thought it was an interesting tidbit that they have that on their menu - however, according to a website I went to, they marinade theirs for 2 hours....Mine have been marinating for FOUR DAYS!! Wish me luck
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/07/11 17:45:30 (permalink)
Four Days?!!! I hope your meat stays on the skewer!
...but it'll sure be tender!

Buon Apetito!

PS - I've wondered if there's any connection between "spiedo" and Speedo. For example, would a thong Speedo be called a Speedino?

just kidding!
shortchef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 624
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/07/14 22:04:30 (permalink)
I'm not sure about that one, but I found a nifty spiedie sauce. My son has a Wegman's near him and brought me a bottle of their sauce. It's good on everything but cereal and ice cream. You can use it as a marinade or a salad dressing.
billyboy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2434
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/07/15 02:04:40 (permalink)
I could be wrong but I believe that I have bought Salamidas Spiedie sauce at various Price Chopper and Wegmans supermarkets in Syracuse and Rome, NY. So they should be available in places besides the site. My friends in Boston were blown away by the flavor of my chicken when they first tasted the sauce. Way to go Rob!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/07/17 13:44:48 (permalink)
I can get Salamida's and Wegman's brand speidie sauce at the Wegmans in Virginia. Which is awesome, because my friends now force me to make chicken speidies whenever there's a cookout.

roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/07/24 23:26:57 (permalink)
http://www.spiediefest.com/home.asp
MsDiPesto
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/11/22 14:54:59 (permalink)
I used to sample Spiedes at cookouts when I lived in upstate NY and someone from Binghamton would bring them. Here in Northern Virginia, a Wegman's has opened, and it has two kinds of Spiedes marinade.
Isn't that stuff basically Wishbone Italian dressing?
bjoe
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/12/01 23:14:22 (permalink)
I love spiedies. I've had sharkey's, Lupos, and even Donoli's in Aplacahin are pretty good(Sharkey's are my favorite)I've had family send me the Lupo's sauce and made Lamb here, but no good Italian bread. A new place 'Mandola's Italian MArket' opened recently and I'm hoping they may have some.

Can't find spiedies here served in Austin, TX, but I actaully found a place in Dallas: http://www.angrydog.com/menu.html

(See the 5th item under 'sandwiches') - Anyone here tried those. The mother-in-law lives up there and I think I need to try them next visit. Will post results...
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2006/12/04 12:27:56 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MsDiPesto

Isn't that stuff basically Wishbone Italian dressing?

no.
modells65
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/04/03 08:22:52 (permalink)
I am from Binghamton I am 41 so I have been eating spiedies all my life! There are many places that serve Spiedies around here now but back in the day it was Lupos and Sharkey's that I recall. I never cared as much for the Salamida marinade compared to Lupo's, but it's all personal taste.
To be eating a "true" speidie you have to eat it on real New York style italian bread. You can also buy them raw at Lupos (has lamb) and Sharkey's. I moved out of the area for several years and everytime I would come home or someone would come see me I would get the raw spiedie's from Sharkey's. I like the pork, now a day's you can get marinated chicken at anyplace. I think Poncho's Pit has a great lamb spiedie, Sharkey's used to but I dont think they make them any more. I also think you can purchase Lupo's sauce on line.
I actually make homemade lamb ones for Easter! I wish I could get Sharkey's recipe!!! (looking for it is how I found this site)
billyboy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/04/12 16:00:55 (permalink)
Here is a pic of some Spiedie sacue I picked up at Wegmans this past weekend. This is the kind I grew up tasting at picnics in CNY for so many years. Can't get this stuff here in NYC.

Niagara
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/04/13 10:21:12 (permalink)
My parents were both from Elmira, and we spent our summers there in the '50's and '60's. I never heard of a spiedie in Elmira. Are these only in Binghamton?
I had cousins in Hornell & Corning and don't remember seeing spiedies there, either.
JDSpiedies
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/04/15 14:40:54 (permalink)
Did Somebody mention SPIEDIES????!!!????

Well, in that case, it's that time of year again. The Grills are being taken out from their winter hiberantion (But my 2 Weber Grills were in action on a VERY FRIGID Super Bowl Sunday!), the charcoal is being stocked up, and the spiedie sauce is being purchased...which only can mean one thing...

SPIEDIE SEASON IS COMING!!!!!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/04/16 17:16:51 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by JDSpiedies

Did Somebody mention SPIEDIES????!!!????

Well, in that case, it's that time of year again. The Grills are being taken out from their winter hiberantion (But my 2 Weber Grills were in action on a VERY FRIGID Super Bowl Sunday!), the charcoal is being stocked up, and the spiedie sauce is being purchased...which only can mean one thing...

SPIEDIE SEASON IS COMING!!!!!

right after you shovel out from the 6 plus inches of snow that fell today in CNY.
billyboy
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/04/17 00:12:27 (permalink)
I just made some chicken with the Salamida bar-b-que sauce on my stove top grill pan. Came out nice -n-juicy with some goods grill marks and I made sure I had a nice little bowl for dipping. Forgot to take pics though.
Yankeesfan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/04/18 10:51:31 (permalink)
My sister used to work at Lupo's. When my teenage son got a grill a few years ago she sent him a collection of sauces from there and a couple other Binghamton places. Good stuff! Binghamton even has an annual Spiedie Fest, with hot air balloons:

http://www.spiediefest.com/
Yoderpal
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/04/20 09:52:50 (permalink)
Without a doubt, Salamida State Fair Spiedie Sauce is the best thing that ever happened to a BBQ grill. I tried it on PORK CHOPS and my kids loved them which was a first. My wife marinated boneless chicken breast with spiedie sauce and then we had left overs and she used them in a tossed salad. Gotta say this stuff I bought online was great and the price was surprisingly cheap!
Stewdude
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 31
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/05/18 12:22:14 (permalink)
Is there a place to get real Spiedies in or near Syracuse? Heading to Turningstone and while driving up from NYC, I am coming around through ALbany and not through Binghamton.
Daydrmr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 14
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/05/18 12:29:32 (permalink)
Any Price Chopper or Wegman's usually carries Salamida Spiedie Sauce.
viennadog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/06/14 16:43:31 (permalink)
We tried both marinades, Lupo's and Salamidas and find Lupo's to be the tastiest. We usually marinade the chicken for several days and sometimes even a week and then put it on the gas grill. We've tried the other flavors (for Chicken, Pork), but the original we like the best.

BTW, I'm in North Carolina and a little place in Cary, NC called Roma's Italian on Harrison Avenue not only carries Lupo's Speide marinade in all their flavors, but even has them already cooked on their menu. I think the owners are from Binghamton or Endicott.

Love it!
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/06/14 19:29:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by viennadog

We tried both marinades, Lupo's and Salamidas and find Lupo's to be the tastiest. We usually marinade the chicken for several days and sometimes even a week and then put it on the gas grill. We've tried the other flavors (for Chicken, Pork), but the original we like the best.

BTW, I'm in North Carolina and a little place in Cary, NC called Roma's Italian on Harrison Avenue not only carries Lupo's Speide marinade in all their flavors, but even has them already cooked on their menu. I think the owners are from Binghamton or Endicott.

Love it!

But of course! that's what "Cary" means = Central Area for Relocated Yankees.

my good friends live there. Practically everyone one in their neighborhood is from the north. Visiting them is like visiting Syracuse...only warmer. But they still bitch about the NY weather they used to endure - go figgur.

Justin_Nass
Junior Burger
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/08/20 21:10:40 (permalink)
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM....Spiedies! I haven't had any commercial Spiedies since the early 90's when I lived in Utica, NY. I relocated to Pittsburgh and sadly, spiedies were nowhere to be found. I have since found a very serviceable spiedie sauce recipe and have been spreading the word. I recently gave away a couple batches of spiedie sauce to some friends with very favorable results. FWIW, I favor serving the spiedies on a hot dog roll as this leaves the other hand free to hold the cold can of beer which is a natural companion of the spiedie.
Lainger
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2007/10/04 15:21:31 (permalink)
Does this place still exist...Im living in Atlanta but cant find them?

Thanks,
quote:
Originally posted by scottmahaffy

SPIEDIE's HIT ATLANTA Georgia Area -

http://www.insidegwinnett.com/archive/1_03_Food_spiedie%20Grill.htm

http://www.spiediegrill.com

Spiedie Grill open in Atlanta!! I also know Salamida Original State fair Spiedie sauce is available at most INGLES MARKETS around the south.

PLEASE NOTE: I have not visited this restaurant yet -- but as soon as I do I will give you a full report!

PLEASE POST ANY ESTABLISHMENTS THAT YOU KNOW THAT SERVE SPIEDIES and don't forget to list places where you can get the sauces too!
scottmahaffy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/01/03 21:17:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lainger

Does this place still exist...Im living in Atlanta but cant find them?

Thanks,

I had a friend who lives near there and he was not able to find them either. After asking around people stated that the stand did a brisk business but the owner had a critical health issue and had to close. Please keep your eyes peeled for others around the USA and keep us posted of new places that make SPIEDIES! Thanks to all who contribute to this forum! Scott Mahaffy (Forum Founder)
quote:
Originally posted by scottmahaffy

SPIEDIE's HIT ATLANTA Georgia Area -

http://www.insidegwinnett.com/archive/1_03_Food_spiedie%20Grill.htm

http://www.spiediegrill.com

Spiedie Grill open in Atlanta!! I also know Salamida Original State fair Spiedie sauce is available at most INGLES MARKETS around the south.

PLEASE NOTE: I have not visited this restaurant yet -- but as soon as I do I will give you a full report!

PLEASE POST ANY ESTABLISHMENTS THAT YOU KNOW THAT SERVE SPIEDIES and don't forget to list places where you can get the sauces too!

wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/01/21 15:10:11 (permalink)
They sell the State Fair marinades at Hanaford supermarkets in my area (Boston). Thank God...I was spending a fortune through mail order. I go to the new Hanaford on Rte. 38 in Lowell...just saw them there last weekend.
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/01/24 12:18:57 (permalink)
Darn it, now I want some spiedies.. I think my wife may have a stash of the sauce hidden somewhere, I could make some when she works this weekend
Mack184
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/02/01 10:41:09 (permalink)
Just a note to add here. There is Lupo's, and then there's Lupo's.
No, not playing a game here. In the beginning the Lupo brothers Sam Sr. & John ran a meat market on the northside of Endicott. When they developed their version of spiedie sauce, they got into an arguement that virtually split the family to this day. The "Lupo's Char Pit" on the Endicott/Endwell line belongs to the family of John Lupo. They also operate a couple other stores in the Binghamton area known as the Spiedie & Rib Pit. Due to the agreement the warring brothers made, John Lupo's original store was the only one that could carry the Lupo's name. The stores operated by Sam Sr, and later his son Sam Jr, are allowed to call all their stores by the Lupo name. Sam Jr. has taken his father's side of the business and done a great job of marketing and you can now find the Sam Lupo sauce brand in many places in the country and it has been picked up by Wal-Mart. They also market pre-made spiedies and other marinated meats. Also, please..there is no "P" in Binghamton. Never has been, never will be.
Mack184
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 252
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/02/01 10:42:10 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

I can get Salamida's and Wegman's brand speidie sauce at the Wegmans in Virginia. Which is awesome, because my friends now force me to make chicken speidies whenever there's a cookout.

Wegman's brand is bottled by Robbie Salamida.
Scorereader
Sirloin
RE: "Spiedie's" Sandwiches/Subs 2008/02/01 10:50:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mack184

quote:
Originally posted by Scorereader

Wegman's brand is bottled by Robbie Salamida.

yes, but they are slighty different from one another - not greatly different, but a little. Which is fine. I like them both.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1