Split pea soup with ham

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13509
2011/04/20 16:18:27 (permalink)

Split pea soup with ham

I have got some leftover spiral cut ham for a Easter feast for a friend.  I want to make some killer split pea soup for our church picnic this Saturday.  Anybody got any good ideas?

Thanks

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

17 Replies Related Threads

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 16:32:43 (permalink)
    One of my favorites-what time is lunch? I really just follow the directions on pea soup packet but add finely chopped carrots...also I take some(a cup or two) of the soup out when done and put it in food processor then return to the rest of the soup.....our church has a breakfast easter and I am making corned beef hash -another favorite- good luck with the soup!!  
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 16:52:51 (permalink)
    One of my favorite soups!  I have a recipe that I have used for years.  It is pretty basic, but has an ingredient that I haven't seen in other split pea soup recipes -- a pinch of dried rosemary.  I crush the rosemary between the palms of my hands and add it to the soup at the beginning of the cooking process.  I like the flavor that it adds.  I also saute chopped onion, celery and carrots in a some rendered salt pork fat or bacon drippings before I add the vegetables to the soup pot. 

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 16:55:38 (permalink)
    I haven't used ham or a leftover hambone in quite a while for my pea soup for quite a while and now just add ham flavored seasong at the end. However if I would use the ham, I'd first sweat finely chopped garlic,onions,celery,and, carrots in olive oil, then add chicken stock, the washed peas, ham left the way it is and seasonings and simmer for about a hour and a half.

I'd remove the ham when the peas are almost done. About that time I also put on some boiling water and make up about a 1/2 cup of instant barley in some salted water on the side and drain it. With the ham removed, either use a stick blender or blend in batches until pureed. Return the ham chopped into small, hand, chopped pieces around 1" along with the barley. 

Garnish with chopped parsely and serve with croutons.
    There's quite a bit of spicing in mine too. PM me if you're interested Paul.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 17:03:43 (permalink)
    Paul, make your soup with some smoked ham hocks, enough for good flavor, shred the hock into your base, dont add your spiral ham till the very last, just enough time to heat it, you don't want to recook it.
    Tom
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 17:14:14 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Paul, make your soup with some smoked ham hocks, enough for good flavor, shred the hock into your base, dont add your spiral ham till the very last, just enough time to heat it, you don't want to recook it.
    Tom

Tom, what if I add the ham bone with the shreds of ham still on it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 17:27:50 (permalink)
    Sundancer7

chewingthefat

Tom

Tom, what if I add the ham bone with the shreds of ham still on it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

I think you should cook them till the ham almost falls off, and some of the marrow is blended in but I'd not leave the bone in the serving pot, it's easy to scrape the ham off the bone once all the connective tissue has cooked off...that said, I don't suppose there is anything wrong with it!
    Edit. You were refering to the hocks I assumed,if you meant the spirial bone then once you've cut as much of the good stuff off it and cubed it, nothing wrong with cooking the bone with the scraps on...also I'd do this a day ahead, refrigerate then defat the next day, as you know soup/stew always better day 2!
    post edited by chewingthefat - 2011/04/20 17:35:03
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8389
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 18:14:26 (permalink)
    I put my ham bone in my stock pot, throw in the dried peas( I have never soaked them first) add onions, celery ,carrots and a couple of bay leaves.( the vegetables were sauteed just a bit in olive oil.) Cover with water, and cook the daylights out of it.I then remove the ham bone, remove whatever meat that hasnt cooked off, and return said meat to the pot.Voila! Oh-I alwys throw a few peppercorns in the mix, as well.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 18:26:48 (permalink)
    I am going to do as many have suggested.  I am going to leave the ham bone in.  I have not decided on whether to buy canned split pea soup or do it the hard way.  Somehow buying it canned may not be the best but by the time I add diced carrots, celery, onions, garlic and my ham, who would really know the difference.

I am going to do it in the crock pot so I can take it to the church hot and ready to pot.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN 
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 18:51:57 (permalink)
    Paul, if you have a ham bone,  you should use  a bag of peas.................why would you consider  canned  soup.  Ann  gave an excellent  recipe.  I  make it  just  like that.   It is much less expensive and  you  will be able  to  get a lot of good flavor out of the bone this way.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 20:20:05 (permalink)
    Its also really easy, Paul.Honestly. I am sure the recipe Greymo and I do can be easily done in the crockpot. Just start it the day before...
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10287
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/20 23:53:08 (permalink)
    If you don't want to deal with the soup sloshing all around on the way to the picnic, here's an option----AND it's a Southern recipe:
    Southern Ham Salad
    Makes about 4 cups
    1 lb. baked ham, cut into 1″ chunks
    8 gherkins
    1 pickled jalapeño
    ½ cup mayonnaise
    2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
    3 scallions, thinly sliced
    2 ribs celery, thinly sliced crosswise
    ½ red onion, finely chopped
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    Place ham, gherkins, and jalapeño in a food processor, and pulse until roughly chopped. Transfer to a large bowl, along with mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, scallions, celery, onion, salt, and pepper; stir until combined. Chill before serving..
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/04/20 23:55:40
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/21 09:01:20 (permalink)
    Pea soup is simplicity itself: In a large pot put hambone together with whatever meat is still clinging to it, add a bag of split peas, some chopped up onion, celery, and carrots, a dozen or so black peppercorns, a bay leaf or two, about a gallon of water and simmer at a very low temp for about 6 hours, stirring now and then. If you try to cook it at too high a temp or don't stir it, it will burn on the bottom of the pot.

Pick out the bones and run the whole mess thru a food mill and serve with a crusty loaf of rye bread or saltine crackers. 

Some folks like to add garlic, rosemary, hot dogs, thyme, chicken stock, chunks of ham... they're all fine, whatever you like can't hurt a great basic soup like split pea.

Cheers, John 
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/21 10:04:13 (permalink)
    Sounds like mine and Greymos recipe.Easy and delicious!!!
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1851
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/21 14:48:43 (permalink)
    That's the only way my Mom, and now myself, make split pea soup.  It always started with a leftover ham bone.  Pretty much like Seafarer John's.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/21 16:16:51 (permalink)
    All of the spiral cut hams I've had have had a sweet glaze, does yours Sundancer?? That would make a huge difference is a split pea soup.....
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18489
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/21 17:28:44 (permalink)
    People! People! People!

Croutons! Pea soup without croutons is like kissing your sister.
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    Re:Split pea soup with ham 2011/04/21 17:49:24 (permalink)
    I agree. Use the basic recipe and cook in a crock pot all day. Remove the bones, cut up any larger pieces of ham (I reserve any sliced ham and add it at the end), and I always add a 28 oz. can of HOMINY. Just like Mom used to make!  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1