Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2712
2013/09/15 11:37:24 (permalink)

Sport Star Restauranteurs

Great idea gone bad:
Wisconsin is fortunate to have Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Braun committed to this great state. Both Aaron and Ryan are dedicated to excellence both on and off the field and want to continue to give back to their cherished fan-base through 8-twelve.

SURG Restaurant Group is also committed to Wisconsin through our award-winning restaurants. Much of the produce, beef and pork are sourced through Mike Polaski's (Co-owner/CEO SURG) very own Hidden Creek Farms located in New London, Wisconsin. 8-twelve's focus is on local product with the help of Hidden Creek, other local Wisconsin Farms and 8-twelve's very own herb garden located outside the patio.

Our chefs Rafael Elisea and Andrew Miller display their passion by using local and sustainable product. 8-twelve's menu was developed to highlight Wisconsin and its tastes while paralleling the talents of Wisconsin MVP's Aaron Rodgers and Ryan Braun. After the first bite you will realize our chefs have scored!
I suspect SURG Restaurants may be trying to avoid accusations of serving PED-tainted meats, because last week they terminated their relationship with Braun:
SURG has ended its business relationship with Milwaukee Brewers outfielder Ryan Braun, and the restaurant bearing his name in the Third Ward will close at the end of the year, the restaurant group announced today, further fallout from Braun's suspension.

His name will be removed from the restaurant at 102 N. Water St. Braun’s name already has been removed from the restaurant's website, including from the URL. The restaurant now is called simply Graffito instead of Ryan Braun’s Graffito.

SURG also will change the name of 8-Twelve MVP Bar & Grill in Brookfield as well as the name of the restaurant under development at Bayshore Town Center in Glendale. SURG is continuing its business relationship with Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, the "Twelve" in 8-Twelve.
I am also reading Jerry Kramer's Distant Replay which recounts a 1984 reunion of the Packers' Super Bowl teams. Several of the 60's Packers were owners of a variety of restaurants and restaurant franchises. Who can name the player or players associated with the following restaurants?
  • The Left Guard
  • Northern Wisconsin Pizza Hut franchises
  • Chi Chi's
  • Rocky Rococo Pizza
  • Shenanigan's
Kramer writes that many of the Packer alumni give credit to Coach Lombardi for their success in business, including these restaurants.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2013/09/15 11:53:52

66 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18629
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 11:58:07 (permalink)
    I never heard of Distant Replay. I'm going to order a copy. Thanks for the information.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6437
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 16:07:55 (permalink)
    Back in the day Johnny Bench had the Home Plate Restaurant in Florence, KY (which was turned into an OG and now torn down and the NEW OG is on that spot)

Max Montoya (Cincy Bengals) has a family Mexican restaurant in NKY, it is really good and fun to go on birthday's

Elway's in Denver - John Elway
    Short's Burger & Shine - Nate Kaeding - Iowa City
    Ditka's - Mike Ditka - Various
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 17:07:13 (permalink)
    There was a LeRoy Selmon's BBQ in Tampa (or a number of them....don't recall). I am pretty sure that they failed.

I remember eating at a barbecue joint in Dallas that had the name of a former Cowboy, but I cannot recall whom. It also failed.

I suspect that these restaurants remain popular for about as long as the athletes remain popular...and then fade off into oblivion.

I don't recall ever having a particularly memorable meal at either of the places I mentioned above, nor the times I have dined at a Shula's Steakhouse, though I recall a friend speaking favorably about the now-defunct Mickey Mantle's in NYC, though I suspect that was more for alcohol consumption than for the food.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 18:10:18 (permalink)
    Don't forget Stan Musial's in St. Louis.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6437
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 18:27:18 (permalink)
    Shula's was always overhyped to me.  More Name than substance.

love2bake
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1419
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 19:44:41 (permalink)
    I thought these were all gone by now, but apparently there's still one in Alexandria.  I used to like their food back in the day.

http://theismanns.com/
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8065
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 19:47:29 (permalink)
    Do college stars count?

Papadakis Taverna in San Pedro was great.  Unfortunately John Papdakis closed it in 2010.

The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 20:05:06 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Don't forget Stan Musial's in St. Louis.

I don't remember Musial having a place, but I do know that Mike Shannon has a place near the stadium that is popular with the jock crowd.

As an aside, I was at a trade show set up next to Stan Musial's great-granddaughter this past spring. Apparently, we work in the same industry. We were in St. Louis, her name badge had the Musial name on it, so I asked. I'm sure she gets asked whether she is a relation a lot - it's not like it is a common name.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 20:22:55 (permalink)
    The last time I ate at Stan Musial's was, I think, 1992. I was in St. Louis for a trade show. Musial stopped by our table to say hello. I managed to keep from asking him how in hell he was able to hit a ball with his ridiculous batting stance.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5141
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 20:29:36 (permalink)
    Jim Hart and Dan Dierdorf were involved with a St. Louis steakhouse for a number of years, I believe.

"The Left Guard" was Fuzzy Thurston's restaurant.  And the logical choice for "Shenanigan's" would have to be Paul Hornung.

Perhaps Ryan Braun should contact companies like Ocean Spray, Minute Maid, and the like to see if an ad campaign featuring "clean juice" might work.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 21:04:55 (permalink)
    Max McGee was Fuzzy's partner in some The Left Guard locations. They each also got in on the ground floor of Pizza Hut in Wisconsin with Bob Long, a wide receiver from Wichita State. Long worked at the original Pizza Hut location while in college and was given an opportunity to open the Wisconsin Pizza Huts by the chain's founder.

According to Jerry Kramer, Max invested $2000 in Pizza Hut and later sold his share for 100 times that. He used that money to convert his Minneapolis The Left Guard into the first Chi Chi's. He later sold his stake in Chi Chi's to Pepsi for another 100 times his investment.

Fuzzy's The Left Guard restaurants lost popularity and eventually he went bankrupt. Shenanigans was Fuzzy bar/restaurant at the time of the reunion.

Bob Long also franchised Rocky Rococo's, with Bart Starr as one of his investors.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/15 21:25:42 (permalink)
    In Baltimore we had Johnny Unitas' Golden Arm restaurant up until the mid-90s.  Food was nothing special, but had many opportunities to meet my boyhood idol there.  Of course, Gino Marchetti and Alan Ameche of the Colts started the Gino's Hamburgers chain.  Although I appreciate the achievements they had as players, Gino's was never my favorite burger joint.  They have tried to resurrect the chain several times, but I've never felt the need to relive the magic.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 02:21:55 (permalink)
    Dan Majerle, Former Suns Star and now Coach At Grand Canyon University has 5-6 Sports Bars in AZ and opening more.
     http://www.majerles.com/
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1851
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 08:15:13 (permalink)
    Bill Zuber's Restaurant in Homestead (Amana Colonies) Iowa is a very solid German restaurant.

Zuber -
    Cleveland Indians (1936-1940)
    Washington Senators (1941-1942)
    New York Yankees (1943-1946)
    Boston Red Sox (1946-1947)
    post edited by WarToad - 2013/09/16 08:17:19
    cavandre
    • Total Posts : 1629
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 09:21:30 (permalink)
    A couple or more decades ago, the Mets' Rusty Staub had a NYC restaurant that served pretty good ribs.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 10:52:15 (permalink)
    Treetop Tom

In Baltimore we had Johnny Unitas' Golden Arm restaurant up until the mid-90s.  Food was nothing special, but had many opportunities to meet my boyhood idol there.  Of course, Gino Marchetti and Alan Ameche of the Colts started the Gino's Hamburgers chain.  Although I appreciate the achievements they had as players, Gino's was never my favorite burger joint.  They have tried to resurrect the chain several times, but I've never felt the need to relive the magic.

Gino's was successful for many reasons - they hit the fast food trend very early, before McDs and a couple of others  expanded big time, to many they had decent fast food, they had good marketing, and they had one advantage menu wise: When The Colonel was marketing the KFC concept to already established local chains like Harman's in Utah, Gino's was able to secure the rights for KFC for a big chunk of the east coast. That gave them an advantage even when McDs started moving in the area.  
    post edited by ConeyIslandLou - 2013/09/16 12:59:25
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 11:14:06 (permalink)
    Don't forget Jack Dempsey's.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 11:17:30 (permalink)
    And I remember Crazy Legs in, I think Studio City. That was Pro Football hall of Famer Elroy Hirsch, who played for the Rams when they were still the Los Angeles Rams.
    Davebassman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 195
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 11:21:06 (permalink)
    In Northern Virginia, former Redskin QB, Joe Theisman had a couple of restaurants for a while. The one in Alexandria is still open. Used to stop in for a drink on the way home from work occasionally.

Former Redskin coach Richie Pettibone had his name on a couple of restaurants in No.VA. for a few years. My wife and I used to eat at the one in Oakton. Pretty good neighborhood joint with decent food.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10384
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 11:48:25 (permalink)
    Since Mike Ditka's from nearby Aliquippa, PA, they have a Ditka's restaurant here in the Pittsburgh suburbs.  We really like eating there and it is our go to place for steak.  We were told that Momma Ditka comes in on a regular basis.   Just the mental image of what Iron Mike's mom must be like is enough to get me laughing. 
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 12:22:05 (permalink)
    ConeyIslandLou

Gino's was successful for many reasons - they hit the fast foo trend very early, before McDs and a couple of others  expanded big time, to many they had decent fast food, they had good marketing, and they had one advantage menu wise: When The Colonel was marketing the KFC concept to already established local chains like Harman's in Utah, Gino's was able to secure the rights for KFC for a big chunk of the east coast. That gave them an advantage even when McDs started moving in the area.  

Very true.  In the DC Metro area where I grew up, Tops Drive-Ins had the KFC franchise and it sold tremendously.  So much so, in fact, that rival chain Hot Shoppes began selling "Pappy Parker's Smoky Mountain style Fried Chicken" at all of their restaurants, cafeterias and fast-food (Jr. Hot Shoppes) outlets.  It was good, I preferred it to KFC.  They had a whole backstory for Pappy that ran in the newspapers: http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19630906&id=peFNAAAAIBAJ&sjid=J4sDAAAAIBAJ&pg=1850,5389314
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 13:09:54 (permalink)
    Great responses. You never know the direction a thread will take once it gets started.

There seem to be an awful lot of sport star restaurants that have failed. Does it seem like they fail more than other restaurants? Most of the ones that have been mentioned above are from decades ago. There is probably a similar percentage of non-star endorsed places that have failed or are operating under a new name and/or ownership.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 13:16:41 (permalink)
    The late 60s landscape was littered with failed fast food franchises named for and/or backed by famous athletes.... Joe Namath, Mickey Mantle, and a few others all tried doing that. 

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5141
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 14:57:54 (permalink)
    cavandre

A couple or more decades ago, the Mets' Rusty Staub had a NYC restaurant that served pretty good ribs.
    Given Le Grande Orange's reputation as a gourmand that wouldn't come as a surprise.

buffetbuster

Since Mike Ditka's from nearby Aliquippa, PA, they have a Ditka's restaurant here in the Pittsburgh suburbs. We really like eating there and it is our go to place for steak. We were told that Momma Ditka comes in on a regular basis. Just the mental image of what Iron Mike's mom must be like is enough to get me laughing.
    Best you do that behind closed doors.  If she's tough enough to be his mom I'm pretty sure she can mop the floor with you, me, and 99% of the general population!
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 634
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/16 23:27:55 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

Since Mike Ditka's from nearby Aliquippa, PA, they have a Ditka's restaurant here in the Pittsburgh suburbs.  We really like eating there and it is our go to place for steak.  We were told that Momma Ditka comes in on a regular basis.   Just the mental image of what Iron Mike's mom must be like is enough to get me laughing. 

My wife and I stopped at the Ditka's in Robinson (i'm not sure if thats the only Pittsbugh location) because everywhere else was packed. It was lunch time and I had a very good Burger. So good in fact, I want to go back for another. My wife and I have wanted to hit it for dinner and a steak, but havent gotten the chance yet.
    post edited by tkitna - 2013/09/16 23:41:29
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/17 00:05:49 (permalink)
    I don't think the failure rate of "Star" restaurants is any greater than the general restaurant population but seems that way only because of the "Press" they get when they do close. Higher profile, more publicity.
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/17 01:01:37 (permalink)
    Sport star in the Broadcasting Dept. & Roadfood (restaurant) connection...

Jane & Michael Stern are the authors of...The Harry Caray's Restaurant Cookbook.

http://mobile.harrycarays.com/
    post edited by CCinNJ - 2013/09/17 01:02:55
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10384
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/17 08:15:32 (permalink)
    tkitna

buffetbuster

My wife and I stopped at the Ditka's in Robinson (i'm not sure if thats the only Pittsbugh location) because everywhere else was packed. It was lunch time and I had a very good Burger. So good in fact, I want to go back for another. My wife and I have wanted to hit it for dinner and a steak, but havent gotten the chance yet.

Thanks for the info on the burger.  Since they make such a good steak, it sure seems they would make a quality burger, too.  I will have to stop in for lunch sometime soon.

When Ditka's first opened up here in Robinson Twp., they did have chicken vesuvio on the menu.  Before ordering it, I questioned the waitress and they said it wasn't the typical version you would see on the a menu in Chicago.  Needless to say, I didn't order it.  I can only assume they Pittsburghized it, by adding French fries and chipped ham on top!
    It is no longer on the menu.

ScreamingChicken-
    I am thinking about a woman who looks like the late Anne Ramsey, with a cigar hanging out of her mouth, who could wipe up the floor with the both of us.  Actually, we have been told that she is quite sweet.
    mjambro
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 435
    Re:Sport Star Restauranteurs 2013/09/17 15:13:31 (permalink)
    Guess it's me, but I've avoided any restaurant that is connected with a sports hero.  I mean what do any of them have to do with preparing a good meal, other than recognition of their financial backing?  Then again, I've never been much of a groupee.  There are way too many great places to try without resorting to some marketing gimmick.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1