Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in)

Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Author
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8669
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 13:36:58 (permalink)
I think its a fantastic idea....
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10496
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 13:39:05 (permalink)
I thought the only true crime in Chicago was putting ketchup on a hot dog. 

Oh man, I already regret bringing that subject up.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8669
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 13:44:05 (permalink)
LOL!!!!!
carolina bob
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 14:15:53 (permalink)
BB, there's laws in this here town, and numbers 1 through 83 are no ketchup on a hotdog!! Boy, I'm getting bossy in my old age, huh?  :~)
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4305
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 14:18:48 (permalink)
I think it's a great idea too.  The objectors are the overly sensitive yahoos who think the name "glorifies" crime.

Buddy
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2346
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 19:25:41 (permalink)
Ketchup on a hotdog is an abomination. But it's a free country. I just am not going to watch, kinda like an accident on the freeway.

Misdemeanor Wiener is my dachshund's new nickname when he misbehaves.
irisarbor
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 611
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 20:51:20 (permalink)
Don't get CSD started about ketchup on a hotdog, that'll really get yer ears blistered!
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 21:07:21 (permalink)
Actually, Mark is fairly tolerant of the ketchup squirters, recognizing that business is business, and the overwhelming majority of his Wisconsin customers are in love with the red gold.

On the other hand, Barry Levinson, owner of the Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum, also in Wisconsin, will smite you and call you heretic if you even suggest a dab of ketchup on your encased meat sandwich.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2767
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/24 23:58:52 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse

Just a quick note for all of last Saturday's attendees who spotted it: WGN-TV just did a story on "Felony Franks" the jail themed Hot Dog joint we passed on our way from (I believe) Borinquen to Ed's Pot Sticker House.  It will be open for business in about two weeks.  Their mission is to provide employment for ex-offenders who would otherwise have a tough time getting a job.  As part of their program, half of the profits will be split among the employees.

One of their signature sandwiches will be called "The Misdemeanor Wiener", a lesser dog named after a lesser crime...

Neighborhood opinions range from amusement to near outrage over the name and theme.

I kinda like it myself.

Buddy

Is this a halfway house for Illinois governors?  That could explain the neighborhood outrage.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/25 01:09:57 (permalink)
If it was, I'd be outraged too.  As it is, this is just a handful of overly sensitive, P.C. boneheads, including the alderman (who, as JRPfeff has insinuated, may be working there himself someday) who has nothing better to do with his time than run down legitimate businesses that could end up doing the community some good.  He says it "glorifies crime."  What a load.  This guy must be best friends with the Chicago alderman who pushed to outlaw foie gras.

I'll be looking for Felony Franks to open in a couple of weeks when I will try to be one of the first in line.

Buddy
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/25 08:14:28 (permalink)
Buddy,

I agree wholeheartedly that this enterprise deserves a chance.  With all the cheap talk by politicians about giving felons a new chance in life, Felony Franks is actually doing something about it.  Good luck to them.

Jim
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 943
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/28 22:43:08 (permalink)
That's awesome!
It's like Cafe Reconcile in New Orleans - they give kids the chance to have a second chance. Ex-gang members, druggies, cons...they go through the programs, learn skills, and after they're done, restaurants all over NOLA line up to hire these kids. It's awesome. I'd love to try the place out, too.
We'll need a full report, Buddy.

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/28 23:20:41 (permalink)
They're scheduled to open sometime during the first week in May.  Don't know if I'll actually be first in line, but I will try to get there soon after they open.

Buddy
stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/30 01:48:20 (permalink)
JRPfeff

BuddyRoadhouse

Just a quick note for all of last Saturday's attendees who spotted it: WGN-TV just did a story on "Felony Franks" the jail themed Hot Dog joint we passed on our way from (I believe) Borinquen to Ed's Pot Sticker House.  It will be open for business in about two weeks.  Their mission is to provide employment for ex-offenders who would otherwise have a tough time getting a job.  As part of their program, half of the profits will be split among the employees.

One of their signature sandwiches will be called "The Misdemeanor Wiener", a lesser dog named after a lesser crime...

Neighborhood opinions range from amusement to near outrage over the name and theme.

I kinda like it myself.

Buddy

Is this a halfway house for Illinois governors?  That could explain the neighborhood outrage.

The writers from Leno are reading this thread, particularly this post.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/04/30 14:13:10 (permalink)
JRPfeff should get a commission if they use his line. 

Not unusual in that business; comedians would buy jokes from writers all the time.  The Canadian comedy troupe Kids in the Hall was a reference to an offhanded comment made by Jack Benny on his old radio show.  Up and coming, aspiring comedy writers would wait in the hallway outside Benny's studio and pelt him with one liners as he made his way from his dressing room to the stage, hoping he woud find one funny enough to use on the air.  Whenever he did, he would credit the joke as being from "The kids in the hall."  I suppose he would then slip the kid a fiver and wish him luck.

So Jim, I suppose you should be receiving a small greenish portrait of Abe Lincoln with a return address from Burbank, CA very soon...

Buddy
Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/05/01 02:26:05 (permalink)
stricken_detective
JRPfeff
BuddyRoadhouseJust a quick note for all of last Saturday's attendees who spotted it: WGN-TV just did a story on "Felony Franks" the jail themed Hot Dog joint we passed on our way from (I believe) Borinquen to Ed's Pot Sticker House.  It will be open for business in about two weeks.  Their mission is to provide employment for ex-offenders who would otherwise have a tough time getting a job.  As part of their program, half of the profits will be split among the employees.

I kinda like it myself.

Buddy
Don't you mean the writers from Get Me Out Of This, I'm A Celebrity?
post edited by Big Ugly Mich - 2009/05/01 02:33:34
stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/05/01 17:09:25 (permalink)
Big Ugly Mich

stricken_detective
JRPfeff
BuddyRoadhouseJust a quick note for all of last Saturday's attendees who spotted it: WGN-TV just did a story on "Felony Franks" the jail themed Hot Dog joint we passed on our way from (I believe) Borinquen to Ed's Pot Sticker House.  It will be open for business in about two weeks.  Their mission is to provide employment for ex-offenders who would otherwise have a tough time getting a job.  As part of their program, half of the profits will be split among the employees.

I kinda like it myself.

Buddy
Don't you mean the writers from Get Me Out Of This, I'm A Celebrity?

No, I don't. Jay Leno told a joke about Blago working for Felony Frank's not 10 minutes before I posted this.
post edited by stricken_detective - 2009/05/27 20:28:47
stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/05/27 20:29:18 (permalink)
Have any of the Chicago Crew been to Felony Frank's?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/05/27 23:31:52 (permalink)
I don't think they're open yet.  A telephone call to the number listed on the internet takes you to a generic answering machine message with no indication of it belonging to Felony Franks.

Buddy
Big Ugly Mich
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/05/28 15:25:26 (permalink)
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/04/ald-not-biting-at-felony-franks-proposal.html

I guess Alderman Fiorelli doesn't welcome the competition!
Big Ugly Mich
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2009/05/28 15:31:03 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse On the other hand, Barry Levinson, owner of the Mt. Horeb Mustard Museum, also in Wisconsin, will smite you and call you heretic if you even suggest a dab of ketchup on your encased meat sandwich
Which may explain this: http://www.channel3000.com/news/19480938/detail.html

stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2012/10/21 11:12:36 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2012/10/21 13:51:23 (permalink)
Bad news s_d, Felony Franks is history.  Owner Jim Andrews claims customers were kept away by gangs of ne'er-do-wells hanging around outside the liquor store next door.  As you read in the linked article you provided, it may have also been a quality issue.  In any case, you missed your chance at chowing down on a Misdemeanor Wiener.

Buddy
stricken_detective
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2012/10/25 04:17:17 (permalink)
^^^heh heh heh. But that stinks. I wanted to see them succeed.

ScreamingChicken: abe_froeman & mr_maki & I did have Gertie's chili within the last 2 years. I know because I brought it to my mom's apartment complex (she's only been there 2 years, I think??), thawed it out & we ate it during a Packer game.

abe had a groupon, our sundaes didn't come to enough $ to get the discount & we'd wanted to try the chili anyway, so I brought it home & froze it for a rainy day.

Any food I don't have to cook is awesome, but I would not microwave it again. I would dump it in a pan on the stove next time & reheat it that way.

Gertie hides the macaroni at the BOTTOM of the chili bucket. I can't really rate it as I didn't have it fresh, at the restaurant. But. I give the carry-out, frozen & microwave-reheated version a solid 7 out of 10.

"Jay Cutler couldn't shred toilet paper much less the Packer defense."

This may be the best thing I've seen on the internet this week. I LOLed very loud just now.
Cubs Fan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2013/10/12 09:21:18 (permalink)
JRPfeff:

FYI, I intend on using your photo of smoked shrimp from Calumet Fisheries taken during the 2009 Spring Fling, with attribution, for a Roadfood restaurant review posting for Calumet Fisheries. My food photos of my visit taken before the 2011 Roadfood tour of Chicago/Wisconsin were not of sufficient quality for the post.

Cubs Fan (Marvin)
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
Re:Spring Fling for the Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent (and anyone else who want to join in) 2013/10/12 18:55:26 (permalink)
Marvin,

Go for it!

Jim
Page: << < ..6789 Showing page 9 of 9
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1