Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved

Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2006/04/02 15:55:14 (permalink)

Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved

Hello All,
Well, here in Hinton, Va., spring has come. Flowers, bugs, and the grass is popping up and out. Birds are singing, windows thrust open,
and everyone is a bit crazy over the new season.
The females are already seeking a tan, the males are seeking burnt, red-faced females, and my dogs are joyously enjoying the outdoors as
they sniffed and wander about the land.
I am planning my garden and thinking about a few roadfood trips locally. A new season with a change of focus and activities, like a new year.
What does your new season offer?
Take Care,
Fieldthistle

22 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13549
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 16:17:25 (permalink)
    What does my season hold?

1: Getting grassed mowed
    2: Pulling weeds
    3: Sneezing
    4: Everything blooming
    5: Pulling winter pansies and planting summer and fall impatients
    6: Tilling garden and planting garden
    7: Lotsa travel
    8: Lotsa eating
    9: Keeping raccoons out of the bird feeder plus possums

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 17:44:17 (permalink)

After a false start, then a freeze or two the last couple of weeks that caught the Apricot trees off-guard and froze their delicate blossoms, it looks like the real Spring has arrived here also. Our Ornamental Pears and the Plums have joined the Apricots in bloom. The Cherries and later the Apples will chime in . I haven't seen many butterflies nor Bees yet. I hope the pollination of the various fruit trees will be ok.
    Not being much of a mechanic, I had the John Deere diesel and the Scott Rider Mower serviced and the blades replaced so that Mowing will begin shortly. We have a lot of wild onion mixed into the grass in the yard, so when I mow I get the pungent odor of the onions for a day or two after.
    The Cold Frame is ready for the veggie seeds and I will do a final rototilling and fertization of the garden plot when the ground is firm enough to support the equipment. We found some multi-colored Cox Combs to expand our growing flower area with those beauties.
    Timing of these projects is important this year. Our may Roadtrip will come between Planting time and Transplanting time. It will be a busy Spring.
    Meantime the bright yellow of the Dafodills and the Forsycthia is shouting it's Springtime greeting to all.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 19:17:13 (permalink)
    "What does your new season offer?"

Gnats.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 19:56:00 (permalink)
    Well, besides sneezing and watery eyes, I have seen camillas, huge dogwood trees, bumble bees, lizards, wisteria growing everywhere; Which I have never seen before, every type of daffodil and tulip and hyacinths bursting out in their spring glory!
    The grass is finally green, most of the trees have leaves, and those that don't have buds.. New pine shoots, major traffic due to spring break.....
    Ah, the lure of the beach for tourists in the spring time to fatten my wallet.
    Spring has sprung here in South Carolina.
    Now, Sudafed's stock has drastically increased!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 20:31:43 (permalink)
    We had two inches of snow last night.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 20:47:54 (permalink)
    lleechef: We had about two inches of rain about ten minutes ago plus lightning, wind, thunder, hail and a few tornados thrown in.

Lost power for about ten minutes. It is gone now.

Like to have drove my dog nuts.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    Zman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 21:49:19 (permalink)
    Spring? - - - WHERE? Not @ latitude 62. but we're hoping.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 21:56:33 (permalink)
    What roossy said, plus the fact that this week is the North Carolina Azalea Festival here in Wilmington....translation .. crowds... belles in hoop skirts...more crowds. Actually the crowds won't be that bad, just a bit of training for the summer beach goers.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 22:39:13 (permalink)
    We've been blessed with rain, so the Bluebonnets are showing themselves. We'll have many more wildflowers to look at soon.

The rain has brought humidity, which doesn't feel particularly good when combined with the natural heat in this area, but most of us here prefer humidity over drought.

My garden is looking good. Mr. and Mrs. I95 will be visiting us next weekend. I love my beautiful wife, and she tolerates me. Lots of other good stuff going on.

I always like Spring.

As soon as the tomatoes are ripe, though, life will be even better.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/02 23:04:39 (permalink)
    I've met Bushie's wife, and it's all true. She is beautiful, and she does tolerate him.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/03 00:20:28 (permalink)
    Bushie, you MUST take pictures of you and Sherri and the I95s and post them for us!!!!
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/03 13:40:35 (permalink)
    I just finished pressure washing my house, driveway, and sidewalk this weekend. Glad it's over.

John
    shortchef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/03 17:00:39 (permalink)
    I noticed this morning that my Lenten roses ("hellebores") are blooming out front. They're the first flowers in my yard and they are beautiful this year, with lots of new growth.
    Also it's time for fawns. We have a doe in our area that has had triplets for the past two years and we're waiting to see if she does it again. She must be the most popular female in the deer neighborhood...
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/04 14:40:55 (permalink)
    It's a miracle.
    Overnight, (last night), almost every tree in my yard burst into leaf.
    Yesterday when I came home from work, there were little buds, and now there are bright green baby leaves everywhere!
    It is amazing how 12 hours and a little rain can make such a wonderful difference. Both in eye candy and in spirit.
    (But the yellow dusting on my truck tells me more purchases of sudafed and claritin are on the way)
    Fieldthistle
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/04 15:06:12 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Roossy, it's bursting here as well in the last days. Tonight, we are expecting rain/snow, temp. 28
    The yellow dusting reminds me of when I lived in Tuscaloosa, Al.. I had never seen it before, but my car
    was coated with it.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/04 15:15:11 (permalink)
    I happen to be a clean car dude. I have it cleaned daily if required. It sort of drives me nuts keeping my three clean and Mamaw Smiths Caddy sharp. Spring brings a daily yellow pollen dust that permeates evey little crack and crevice.

I bought a a great California Duster which is permeated with some substance and it allows me to dust all vehicles in a matter of minutes without scratching the surface. I use to have to hose them down and wipe the moisture off.

I still have to do it daily but it is much easier.

Even my boat which is on a lift and out of the water with a cover on it and a roof overhead is not immune even though it is on the water.

Just one of the problems of the wonderful spring. Achoo!!!!

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/04 15:35:59 (permalink)
    Achoo, back atchyou too!
    Bless you!
    Even the squirrels are much more active now, chasing each other through the trees, and I am not sure but what looks to be baby grouse, or pheasant, quail or partridge... They are noisy, but not in a bad way. I enjoy listening to them.
    They run on the ground very fast, and are so cute. I think they live in the bushes under the trees next to my property. It has lots of ground cover and have not seen them in the trees.
    I wonder what they are.
    I am not all that familiar with the birds of this region.

Sundancer, you are a birder.. have you got any clue?
    They move too fast for me to take a photo of one.
    I will try to look on the Internet.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/04 15:50:28 (permalink)
    Sounds like quail to me. They are beautiful birds and they tend to roost together in a circle on the ground and when disturbed, they flush and will scare hades out of you.

We use to have them around my house but the ground cover gradually disappeared as more houses were built. They are no longer around my house.

I would rule out pheasant and grouse. Both of those are much larger than a quail. Count yourself lucky if you have quail. If indeed that is what they are, you will have them as long as there is ground cover and the foxes do not get them. They can fly pretty fast but generally do not fly far. They are a favorite of southern hunters.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/04 16:45:30 (permalink)
    Thanks,
    When I looked on the net, they looked like quail to me. They are a very enjoyable part of my life. They are just so cute, and they hide in the undergrowth chittering away, but when I get close, they are quiet. But I see them running around and hear them rustling in the trees. I didnt have them in Florida, just the usual birds. Mockingbirds, blue jays, cardinals, crows....
    This is a real pleasure.
    I also noticed one other spring time treat.
    Caterpillars!
    I dont know what they are going to be, but there are tons of them.
    I also saw one that looked like a tree branch, I thought it was and got closer and it was a caterpillar..
    Curious to see what that will be also..
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/04 17:25:41 (permalink)
    Roossy: Birding has been a hobby of mine for better than 40 years. It is something that you can do everyday of your life without costing money with the exception of the travel you do, binoculars and your Peterson's Field guid (which is the very best). The travel is really incidental as you get to do roadfood. You always find the strangest places that way.

As a matter of fact I see different birds almost every day from my deck which is only about 30 feet from the Tennessee River. This time of the year, all the migratory waterfowl and birds are moving through. The warblers are the most difficult for me to identify.

I have birded in all 50 states, all of Canada, Central America, South America and All of Europe. I have about 600 birds on my list which sounds like a lot but next to most folks who enjoy that, I am a amateur.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Fieldthistle
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/05 04:48:39 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    We once raised quail, and then set them free to try get them re-established here.
    I loved listening to their, "Bob-white" calls. I used to imitate their calls, both
    male and female (don't anyone get ideas over that comment, haha), and they would call
    back. Unfortunately, about 5 years after releasing them, I heard their calls
    no more.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: Spring has Sprung-The World's Axis Moved 2006/04/05 06:47:38 (permalink)
    Our periwinkles are in bloom. There is a riot of birdcalls at dawn when I go out and get the newspaper. Heard a very loud woodpecker going at it this morning. The sound that most tells me summer is on the way is the call of the red winged blackbird. I've been hearing them for a little over a week. The males come back first to establish territories, and then the ladies follow. Soon the males will begin warbling and bowing to pay court. Ahhh spring!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1