Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Spudnut Shop

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 142
andover

• Total Posts: 1
RE: Spudnut Shop Thu, 09/9/04 12:53 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SPUDDIE

SPUDNUT DONUTS ARE THE BEST

Hi Rick,

Heah, I use to stop at your store when I live in Berea. I wanted to know if or how I might be able to purchase the potatoe dough similar to what spudnuts use to make. Are there any suppliers around that supply a similar flour for donuts?
I look forward to your reply

Bob

I OWN A SPUDNUT SHOP IN BEREA, OHIO AND WE STILL MAKE THEM THE ORIGINAL WAY. I HAVE INFO ON THE SPUDNUT MUSEUM. IT IS IN LAFFEYTE,IND.,IF YOU WANT EMAIL ME AND I CAN GIVE YOU MORE INFO. WE SUPPLIED 10 DOZEN OF OUR SPUDNUT DONUTS FOR THE MUSEUM GRAND OPENING 2 YEARS AGO,EVERYBODY REALLY LOVED THEM. WELL GOT TO GO MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS.

RICK

JimDndy

• Total Posts: 2
    RE: Spudnut Shop Wed, 09/22/04 1:45 PM (permalink)
    Hello fellow Spudnut friends. I've recently discovered this forum. I would like to open a Spudnut store and wanted to find out if anyone knows if it is still a franchise or? For you folks that have a spudnut shop, what are you using nowadays for the mix? Any and all replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks

SegwaySpudnut

RE: Spudnut Shop Fri, 09/24/04 6:19 PM (permalink)
      I've been to the Spudnuts Museum! It's great!!!!

SegwaySpudnut

coffeeguy

RE: Spudnut Shop Tue, 10/5/04 3:35 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by Milt

I just noticed this topic and took a walk down memory lane. I grew up in Farmington, New Mexico and there was a Spudnut Shop there in 1951 when we arrived. I left Farmington, and moved to Georgia, in 1982 - and the Spudnut Shop was still operating. The Jolley family owned it that whole time.

I grew up in Farmington, too. I don't believe the Spudnut business was owned by Mormons, but a lot of franchises were. I happen to be working on a potato flour recipe for spudnuts to serve in a coffeehouse I now own. Let me tell ya, Mr.Jolley earned every penny. I remember him flippin' those 'nuts over a hot fryer back in the '60s when I was at Tibbets Jr High. It had to be a tough job. I'm close to getting it right, but am amazed at how precise taste memory can be 38 or 40 years after the fact. I'm using Maplette to flavor the glaze which may be too refined. I suspect one of the secrets was the use of more available ingredients and lower cost ones. We'll keep testing.

swmdal

RE: Spudnut Shop Thu, 11/18/04 10:05 PM (permalink)
          The picture on the previous page of the Spudnut Coffee Shop in Charlottesville, VA, perfectly captures the funky unpretentious nature of the shop. Unfortunately, "Belmont", the dumpy residential neighborhood around it, is quickly gentrifying, with small unrestored 2-bedroom frame 1950s bungalows starting to edge toward the $300-$400k mark. Also, the city is building a several-thousand-seat outdoor amphitheater and bus transfer station just across the railroad tracks from the shop, with massive luxury condo development beginning around that. So better get to this shop while it's still there. I can only imagine how quickly the property taxes on it must be escalating every year.

LoveSpudnuts

RE: Spudnut Shop Sat, 01/29/05 6:26 PM (permalink)
            Zanesville,Ohio had a Spudnut Shop behind Wilson Grade School in the 1950's. We got a quarter for lunch and we would go there and get 2 Spudnuts and a quart bottle of Vess Cola. Wow what a memory. I can still smell and taste them.
            LoveSpudnuts

Sbuddies

• Total Posts: 7
              RE: Spudnut Shop Sun, 02/27/05 6:08 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by GEOBELFAIR

Originally posted by a noid

Oh my God! I had no idea Spudnuts was still around, or even that it was a franchise operation. We used to have one in Johnstown, PA, but it has been closed at least 40 years. I will have to stop in Charlottesville on our next trip South. WHERE IS FRANCHISE HEADQUARTERS LOCATED ??????

Sbuddies

RE: Spudnut Shop Sun, 02/27/05 6:09 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by GEOBELFAIR

Originally posted by a noid

Oh my God! I had no idea Spudnuts was still around, or even that it was a franchise operation. We used to have one in Johnstown, PA, but it has been closed at least 40 years. I will have to stop in Charlottesville on our next trip South. WHERE IS FRANCHISE HEADQUARTERS LOCATED ??????
                Spudnuts originated in SLC. I am remaking the mix under the n name Sbuddies.

Sbuddies

RE: Spudnut Shop Sun, 02/27/05 6:11 PM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by golfer

quote:

I OWN A SPUDNUT SHOP IN BEREA, OHIO AND WE STILL MAKE THEM THE ORIGINAL WAY. I HAVE INFO ON THE SPUDNUT MUSEUM. IT IS IN LAFFEYTE,IND.,IF YOU WANT EMAIL ME AND I CAN GIVE YOU MORE INFO. WE SUPPLIED 10 DOZEN OF OUR SPUDNUT DONUTS FOR THE MUSEUM GRAND OPENING 2 YEARS AGO,EVERYBODY REALLY LOVED THEM. WELL GOT TO GO MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS.

RICK
                  Spudnuts originated in Utah in the late 30's and went out of business like bankrupt in the 70's. I am remaking the mix. Want to try some? email me.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                    RE: Spudnut Shop Sun, 02/27/05 6:14 PM (permalink)
                    quote:

RICK

Cleveland Rocks!! Best kept secret east of MS River.

Sbuddies

RE: Spudnut Shop Sun, 02/27/05 6:46 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Spudnuts

From the Spudnuts Museum:

Recently, someone wrote to ask whether writer and chemist Edward Elmer
                      Smith (1890-1965), aka Doc Smith, had developed the potato-based recipe used in making Spudnuts. No way! That history-altering invention was the brainchild of the Pelton brothers, founders of the Spudnuts chain.

The Pelton boys were working in San Francisco; Bob for a drugstore, Al selling electrical appliances. They wanted to open their own business and thought there was a market opportunity in doughnut making, if they could come up with a good recipe. Potato flour was newly invented and it became the centerpiece of the Peltons' quest to develop the perfect doughnut.

The brothers moved to Salt Lake City, opened a little shop and struck out repeatedly with potato flour based doughnut recipes. Then, Al came up with the crazy, (but clearly inspired), notion to use a mashed potato mix and...waalah!....the result: a large, fluffy, tasty, golden brown delicacy.

As was true of Doc Smith, Bob went into the Navy to assist in the war effort. Al kept the Spudnut flame alive. And, when Bob returned from the war, the brothers developed a dry Spudnut mix that allowed them to ship the product without spoilage and the franchise was born.

So, while Doc Smith may have developed a potato-based doughnut batter, it was not the one that propelled the Pelton brothers into Spudnuts fame!

Isn't history fascinating!

(Note: To the individual who wrote with a request for a Museum brochure, would you please send your address again? I will happily send one your way.)Please send me information. I have the original mix and am distributing it in SLC now. douglas_bagley@yahoo.com

Deluxe

RE: Spudnut Shop Fri, 04/1/05 3:00 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Chuy Anaya

Well hot jig, my friends thought I was crazy when I told my story about the SPUDNUT shop in Pecos, Texas! I used to sell spudnuts door to door in the 1950's. I would pickup one basket (12 to 14 dozen) spudnuts and walk from one end of town to the other selling them. I would earn $1 for each basket I sold. I would average 3 baskets on a good Saturday. If you have not tasted a Spudnut, you have lived a sheltered life. Nothing compares to the unique taste. The shop was located across West Pecos Junior High and I would travel all the way to Eddie and Airport Blvd which is about 3 to 4 miles as the crow flies. (sigh) Those were the days! Interested in hearing from anyone who remembers the Spudnut Shop in Pecos Texas.

That was my first paying job in life. I guess I was about 9 in Greeley, CO when I was selling those wonderful things door-to-door. What a blast!

fcbaldwin

• Total Posts: 388
                          RE: Spudnut Shop Sat, 04/2/05 4:55 AM (permalink)

This is an amazing thread.

It draws lots of new posters who just post one or a few times and then that's it!

Sbuddies

RE: Spudnut Shop Sat, 04/2/05 9:55 AM (permalink)
                            I have the original recipe, and market it under the name Sbuddies. We have product in Salt Lake City, and a store there. We also have product in Bora Bora. If you'd like to purchase some, try sending me $40.00 for four 6 lb. bags of mix. Each bag makes approx. 100 to 150 donuts (depending on the size you make them), they can be cooked right in your home, and you get a Sbuddies t-shirt. Thanks for asking

spudnut1960

RE: Spudnut Shop Fri, 06/17/05 11:25 PM (permalink)
                              When I was a kid in the 50's Mom and Dad would take me to Jackson, TN to a shop where we would get spudnuts. I can still taste them today - they were great. The one's I liked were rolled in peanuts. I've tried to find shops when I travel but only found one in west Texas and it had closed a week earlier. The owner was still there cleaning out and he said that all doughnuts today use potato flour, but there still not the same.

I found a Spudnut shop in CA near San Fran, but is was just the name, no relationship to the original. I think the franchise might still exist, but with the low-carb craze, no one is safe!

If you find one, let me know!

SDBob

RE: Spudnut Shop Sat, 07/30/05 1:42 AM (permalink)
                                I will echo what others have stated... I can't believe there are people around who remember Spudnuts! I hadn't thought about them in many years and my wife and were in a discussion about when we were kids and we would get jobs to buy things and I started telling her about when I was 10 or 11 years old (1959-1960) I sold Spudnuts door to door in El Paso Texas to earn enough money to go buy this portable reel to reel tape recorder from this pawn shop in downtown EP. As I remember they sold for $.35 a bag (I'm not sure if it was a half or whole dozen) and I was paid $.06 per bag. That’s why it took all summer to get enough money. I think the tape player worked for about two weeks and broke! Glad to hear they are still being sold. They really were the best damn donut I ever tasted!

Pitts

• Total Posts: 78
                                  RE: Spudnut Shop Sat, 07/30/05 6:18 AM (permalink)
                                  Am going to my hometown of Richland, Washington and fully intend to stop and pickup some Spudnuts. THEY ARE THE BEST for sure.

Sbuddies

RE: Spudnut Shop Sun, 07/31/05 11:14 AM (permalink)
                                    I have resurrected the original recipe and sell it in small bags you can take to a bakery or cook in your own home! They taste wonderful, because it is the original recipe. You can contact me in Salt Lake City at 801-328-4796 or at douglas_bagley@yahoo.com. As to the museum, I haven't had any luck finding it either
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Spudnut

My dad owned a Spudnut Shop in the early 1960s. For the uninitiated, a Spudnut is a doughnut made with potato flour. They were apparently very popular, and many people STILL tell me they were their favorite doughnut.

Anyway, the "time to make the doughnuts" schedule got to him, and he closed down. I was about 2 or 3, so never got to try one. I know there are still a few left around the country. I have no idea whether or not they're affiliated with the franchise my dad was a part of (I assume they are), or if they're any good. But, if anyone out there has ever tried one, I'd love to hear about it.

I heard of someone actually opening a Spudnut Museum a few years ago. I sent her copies of a few items I had. I can no longer find her, or any reference to the museum.

musicwife

• Total Posts: 5
                                      RE: Spudnut Shop Mon, 08/1/05 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                      Note - the Spudnuts Museum is still in Lafayette Indiana and is a privately-held collection. Contact the director: spudnutsmuseum@aol.com

Sbuddies

RE: Spudnut Shop Tue, 08/2/05 12:12 AM (permalink)
                                        I sell the original mix under the name Sbuddies. I loved them in UTah when I was growing up. If you'd like to try the original mix, email me bac
                                        quote:

RICK

dodger

• Total Posts: 3
                                          RE: Spudnut Shop Mon, 09/26/05 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                          I remember the Spudnut Shop from the 50s in Juneau, Alaska when I was in hi school. And then as fast as they showed up they disappeared. The closes I found was about ten years ago in Lincoln City, OR, there was a shack that had a sign saying simply, "Donuts." We hit it on a day when there was a fresh batch just coming out. The owner/baker must have been 80 years old, a gentleman from Germany, he told us. We grilled him but all he would say was that he used seven different flours. He was only open when he felt like it. And then one day he was gone, before we could grill him some more. This past July, 2005, I went to the Spudnut Shop in Richland, WA. I was very disappointed. The raised glazed had no flavor and seemed to be day olds. So I went back the next day shortly after sun-up thinking I'd get 'em hot off the line. Same thing, tasted like day olds, no flavor. Krispy Kremes we found in Phoenix, AZ in 2000 were pretty close but since then Krispy Kremes we have found don't seem the same.

Jerry34

RE: Spudnut Shop Thu, 12/15/05 8:00 PM (permalink)
                                            WHERE IN BEREA, IS YOUR SHOP??? JERRY

SPUDNUT SHOP IN BEREA, OHIO AND WE STILL MAKE THEM THE ORIGINAL WAY. I HAVE INFO ON THE SPUDNUT MUSEUM. IT IS IN LAFFEYTE,IND.,IF YOU WANT EMAIL ME AND I CAN GIVE YOU MORE INFO. WE SUPPLIED 10 DOZEN OF OUR SPUDNUT DONUTS FOR THE MUSEUM GRAND OPENING 2 YEARS AGO,EVERYBODY REALLY LOVED THEM. WELL GOT TO GO MAKE THE DOUGHNUTS.

RICK

Cleveland Rocks!! Best kept secret east of MS River.

arclhc12

RE: Spudnut Shop Mon, 01/2/06 8:36 AM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Sbuddies

quote:
                                              Originally posted by golfer

quote:

RICK
                                              Spudnuts originated in Utah in the late 30's and went out of business like bankrupt in the 70's. I am remaking the mix. Want to try some? email me.

dodger

RE: Spudnut Shop Wed, 01/4/06 11:43 AM (permalink)
                                                I have tried contacting Spuddie, and others who profess to have the mix. They don't respond. Anybody else have any ideas?

JimDndy

RE: Spudnut Shop Thu, 01/5/06 12:30 AM (permalink)
                                                  I have a case of the fella's S'Buddie mix. These are for yeast donuts, and my plan is to do batter donnuts, so dont know what I'm to do with this mix.

lhs72

RE: Spudnut Shop Thu, 01/12/06 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                                    My parents owned a Spudnut Shop in Lorain, Ohio in the mid-fifties. It was a great product. Actually lighter than a Krispy Kreme doughnut. Had much more flavor though. I have been to the shop in Berea. Loved the product.

Wildcat1616

RE: Spudnut Shop Sun, 01/29/06 9:57 PM (permalink)
                                                      Loved Spudnuts! Best donut ever. My grandmother owned a building in my home town of Chicago Heights, IL... and one of her tenants was the Spudnut shop. Needless to say, I ate a LOT of Spudnuts!

plb

RE: Spudnut Shop Sat, 02/11/06 12:03 AM (permalink)
                                                        Just tried the one in Sacramento, CA. I happened to drive by it while looking for something else. It was not in the most fashionable part of town, and looked like it had been around for while.

My question is: is the difference between Spudnuts and other donuts very subtle? I could not tell the difference between it and a regular donut. Like most donut shops around here, it was run by Southeast Asians who could not, or would not, understand my questions about how they were made. So maybe it was a regular donut just sold by a shop called Spudnuts.

musicwife

• Total Posts: 5
                                                          • Location: Lafayette, IN
                                                          RE: Spudnut Shop Mon, 04/10/06 5:05 AM (permalink)
                                                          Hi all you Spudnuts lovers! Here's exciting news from Indiana! Hot off the presses (or hot out of the fryer?): the SPUDNUTS MUSEUM will be part of a huge Home and Garden Tour in Lafayette Indiana on Saturday, June 24th. If you're yearning to see the world's largest collection of artifacts and ephemera related to this historically significant and delectable confection, mark the date NOW and watch this forum for more details. We will post final tour info in about a month.

Sbuddie

• Location: Salt Lake City, UT
                                                            RE: Spudnut Shop Mon, 04/10/06 8:06 AM (permalink)
                                                            quote:
                                                            Originally posted by dodger

I have tried contacting Spuddie, and others who profess to have the mix. They don't respond. Anybody else have any ideas?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 142

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com