Squealer Burgers!

Author
Jaybomb
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 29
2006/09/21 23:47:51 (permalink)

Squealer Burgers!

I didn't do a search but I figured if it wasn't fresh then some people are missing out on the idea.

A Squealer burger is a fresh patty of lean sirloin (hopefully)infused with (I just use the meat of the) bacon. I usually also toss in a bit of garlic, maybe scallions and/or red onion, and worchestire sauce then allow to freeze a bit in the ice box before grilling.

These are some heavy bastard bits of tummy filling joy, I must say. They're totally decent, and you at home should try them... if you have some bacon spared over, oh yeah, put it on it too!

I know it's a southern deal, and I saw it mentioned on Iron Chef. I had to try it.

10 Replies Related Threads

HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/22 10:26:23 (permalink)
    Sounds pretty good and on a poppyseed roll with blue cheese yummy.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/22 12:26:47 (permalink)
    Ok, I'm sold Jay! And, nice to have you at roadfood! How do you infuse the bacon? Cut up? Raw? Mix w/ tha serloin or put in the middlle? And what does the freezing do? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Joe
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4319
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/22 15:39:42 (permalink)
    Joe,
    I can't answer your bacon questions; not my recipe, however the freezing helps the burgers to set and minimizes break up on the grill. I use this method very successfully whenever time permits.

Buddy
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/22 16:00:51 (permalink)
    Thanks Buddy! That makes sense. I have recently learned here at roadfood that White Castle burgers are cooked frozen. I also have a friend who swears by grilling chicken frozen. He saiis it makes the chicken juicer.

Now to infuse that bacon and... how about some Roadhouse BBQ sauce mixed in with that squealer pattie!
    Joe
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4319
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/22 20:54:28 (permalink)
    You have my personal guarantee that a Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce infused burger will be a huge crowd pleaser; one of the best burgers you will personally ever make or eat!

I use about a half bottle for every 2lbs. of ground beef. I also use onion "straws" for a similar effect to the Oklahoma onion burgers written about by the Sterns. The final ingredient is raw, beaten egg, mixed in to the raw ground beef (about 2 eggs for every 3lbs. of ground beef). The egg acts as a further binder and contributes to keeping the burger moist. Oh yeah, we're on Jaybomb's thread so let's make sure we add in the bacon!

In making the actual patties, I will scoop up enough of the ground beef mixture to slightly overfill a 1/2 cup measuring cup. Roll the 1/2 cup clump into a ball and gently press it out into a plump patty. This will give you a perfect 1/3lb. burger every time. I find this to be an excellent size for grilling. Stack up your patties in a Tupperware container and freeze them for a bit to let them set.

As for which variety of Roadhouse to use; I, and my friends, prefer the Hot & Spicy. Most of the spicy heat cooks off during the grilling process. Many times I'll just look in the fridge, see what's sitting around and combine two or more flavors. It really doesn't matter, it's going to work well for you.

I do this recipe for every major summer holiday and it plays to unanimous raves.

Enjoy,

Buddy
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/23 11:39:58 (permalink)
    Simple recipe for bacon "infused" burgers:

Fry up 2 pounds of bacon (crispy).

Make up some 3/4th inch thick hamburger patties (your recipe choice).

Fry the patties in said bacon grease (Added bonus: Throw in a bunch of sliced onions also.)

Top burger with cooked onions while still in your cast iron frying pan. Add a slice or two of your favorite cheese (I use Jarlsburg) and let it begin to melt. Top all of that with as much bacon that will fit.

In the meantime, you have already toasted your buns , and have spread same thickly with your favorite horseradish sauce.

Dig In. Make sure you have your cardiologist's phone number handy though, just in case...
    Jaybomb
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/24 00:09:41 (permalink)
    ^^ That is the preferred method. Agreed.

If you're outdoors, or planning. What I've done before is mix your hamburger meat with the spices and bacon. I rarely ever cook bacon with it's fat remaining. This is to imply that I remove it raw and put the chunky meat bits in with the burger. Make it small enough to both fit, cook well enough, and enjoy. Of course it's also preferred on the grill that you attempt to mold as much bacon toward the outter surface of the patty. It isn't simple, but it helps.

The indoor is really the best, but the compromise to go outside really isn't bad either. One is a step up, the other is a leap.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/24 13:31:34 (permalink)
    I usually do a 2 to 1 ratio of beef and pork sausage in my chili. Hmmm, a double squealer burger. Might be good?
    Joe
    oltheimmer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/25 01:06:45 (permalink)
    Tookie's in Seabrook, TX, has served a Squealer for over a decade that I know of and perhaps back to the 70s - it's perhaps their biggest claim to fame. For a long time I think they tried to claim they had trademarked the name but that claim doesn't appear on their menu anymore. They don't use ground sirloin, I'm sure, and don't add the scallions or grilled onions. A double meat is called a Piggyback burger.

John T. Edge mentioned he was heading out to try it in the closing pages of his Hamburgers and Fries: An American Story published last year, but doesn't report on it. I had the impression it was new to him.

I know I've mentioned it in threads here but they don't come up with the Search feature for some reason!

I like a contrast of tastes, textures and temperatures in food. I like a sizzling hot patty that tastes of beef, cold lettuce, tomato, pickle and onion and mustard, warm toasted bun, melting cheese, and, if I'm in the mood for it, crisp smokey bacon on top of the patty. Some people rave about the Squealer but bacon flavored ground beef doesn't do anything for me.
    dreamzpainter
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Squealer Burgers! 2006/09/25 15:00:13 (permalink)
    I like mixing in a package of spicey breakfast sausage to my burger meat, about a 2 to 1 ratio. Another "infusion" I came on while experimenting was using bottled italian salad dressing, a grilled burger stays moist and has a great taste
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1