LockedSquirrel recipe

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 11:47:14 (permalink)
The Sundancer was actually kidding about consuming my local squirrel population. I would never kill them although I feel like it several times a day. The destructive rascals throw the seeds everywhere just to get at the sunflower seeds. My dingo dog wears herself out trying to catch them. She never has but has been close many times. She slapped the rear end of one sending it sprawling but the squirrel was way too fast. Yesterday she leaped from the deck, hit the wet sidewalk and took a highspeed tumble toward the lake. It appeared she was extremely humbled and embarrassed by the obvious mistake.

I do not think I ever recall consuming a squirrel. I think they are mostly vegans although I recall a article in the local paper indicating that they occasionally are predators toward young birds. I have never observed that.

One poster to this thread indicated that I should use safflower sead. I do that in one of my feeders but due to dietary habits of birds, only a few of them will eat that particular seed. I also use kidney white suet for the woodpeckers, titmice and other fat loving birds. I use a lot of different seed to attract many species. I hang ham bones and turkey carcass. It is pecked clean in a few days.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7290
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 12:19:24 (permalink)
HAM BONES AND TURKEY CARCASSES?? All hanging off the trees like a lynching just happened???? You'd better beware when the folks at PETA get ahold of this!
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 12:49:30 (permalink)
Believe it or not Lleechef, the birds regard it as a treat. I had to hang them or the neighborhood wild flock of cats and herds of dogs would eliminate the treet PDQ. Chickadees, titmice, woodpeckers, mockingbirds and bluejays have their thanksgiving with the Sundancer. It is a treat watching them attack this morsel.

Mamaw Smith use to get P----- at me for wasting the hambone but after several years she got over it. She wanted it for soup and her pinto's. Sundancer does not do beans of any kind and I kinda get a kick out of watching the birds.

I probably got some PETA folks in my neighborhood but I hang the bones on a tree close to the lake and what happens at the Sundancers place stays at the Sundancers place.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
tkitna
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 634
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 23:35:50 (permalink)
I hunt and eat squirrel quite often. As mentioned earlier, my mother and I fry it like chicken. I've even made buffalo squirrel (like wings) and it was very tasty. If I were going to try to disquise one Paul, i'd probably cook them and then pull the meat and add to a gravy. You could just say its dark meat from chicken. Should get rid of most of the gamey taste also that would give the meat away.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/25 00:21:41 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

HAM BONES AND TURKEY CARCASSES?? All hanging off the trees like a lynching just happened???? You'd better beware when the folks at PETA get ahold of this!

You figure that this is the FIRST thing on this topic that the folks at PETA would have a problem with? I had my suspicions that Paul was goofing when he talked of killing the squirrels, but I am surprised that no one else has asked why you would be willing to feed the birds but kill the squirrels.

I am no wacko who would be caught in a cage wearing a lettuce bikini (something we can all be thankful for, on this day of Thanks), but I am not much for the killing of animals (even pesky squirrels) purely for sport.

Steve
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/25 03:18:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stevekoe

quote:
Originally posted by lleechef

You figure that this is the FIRST thing on this topic that the folks at PETA would have a problem with? I had my suspicions that Paul was goofing when he talked of killing the squirrels, but I am surprised that no one else has asked why you would be willing to feed the birds but kill the squirrels.

I have never killed a squirrel although I have felt like it many times when they have totaled my feeder.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

I am no wacko who would be caught in a cage wearing a lettuce bikini (something we can all be thankful for, on this day of Thanks), but I am not much for the killing of animals (even pesky squirrels) purely for sport.

Steve
Zman
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/25 16:24:23 (permalink)
I grew up on a farm in NW Iowa and my bros. and I shot and ate a LOT of squirrels. They're good
baked, fried, and in stew. We would always have a contest to see who could get the longest shot,
and it had to be a head shot!! That paid off at the Navy rifle range where I was positively
DRILLING the bullseye in the target @ long range. The drill instructor came up behind me
and asked "Where you from son?" To which I replied: "Iowa Sir." He said: "I KNEW it. Damn farmboy!!"
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18866
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/25 16:58:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Zman

I grew up on a farm in NW Iowa and my bros. and I shot and ate a LOT of squirrels. They're good
baked, fried, and in stew. We would always have a contest to see who could get the longest shot,
and it had to be a head shot!! That paid off at the Navy rifle range where I was positively
DRILLING the bullseye in the target @ long range. The drill instructor came up behind me
and asked "Where you from son?" To which I replied: "Iowa Sir." He said: "I KNEW it. Damn farmboy!!"

You mean you never barked squirrels? Where I come from that's the only way to shoot them. What you do is shoot close enough to a squirrel's head as to cause a piece of bark to hit the squirrel in the head, knocking it out of the tree, and not spoiling any meat.
UncleVic
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6025
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/25 21:26:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ocdreamr

quote:
Originally posted by UncleVic

BTW, we have a few woodpeckers (red headed) that hang out on one of my feeders. The regulars are like 5" in length. Last Thursday I had a big mother of a red headed woodpecker in the trees... Had to be close to 20" in length... I went and grabbed the camera but he was gone by time I got back... I'm hoping he returns!

Okay,
Here's where the bird watcher in me comes out. The smaller woodpeckers are probably downy woodpeckers & will indeed frequent a feeder. That big guy you saw sounds like a pilliated woodpecker. They are very skittish around people but will continue to return to an area where there is a rotting tree. They go after the bugs in the rotting wood. I had a tree taken down on my front lawn some years back, leaving quite a large stump. I watched one of these larger woodpeckers tear that stump apart better than any stump grinder I 've seen at work. Every day I would remove a trash bag full of wood chunks he had removed from the stump. By the way you can learn to know then they are in the neighborhood by the loud call they give as the fly. Just think "Woodie the Woodpecker", after all he was based on a piliatted.

Thanks OC! I've yet to see him again, but I'll be ready for him this time (camera wise)...
ocdreamr
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1110
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/26 09:24:50 (permalink)
Paul,
I was talking to my sister yesterday & we got to talking about squirrels & I told her about your problem. She said she had found the perfect solutuion to the problem. Her husband has several feeders in their yard & was in constant battle with the squirrels. She found this squirrel proof feeder on the net & ordered it for him. The feeder has a ring at the bottom on which the birds can rest while feeding. The ring is weight sensitive & when the squirrel stands on it the ring starts to spin around, throwing the squirrel off the feeder!! After one or two attempts the squirrels stay away. If you want I'll see if she can remember where she ordered it from.

SteveB9
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/27 00:08:56 (permalink)
Living slap in the middle of 7 acres of hardwoods, I have plenty of squirrels. These critters can be destructive to your house; I have known of two house fires started by them getting into the attic and eating away insulation on electric wires. Plus, if they die in the attic, you will have a BIG problem.
I keep either my old Sheridan Bluestreak pellet gun or my .22 here by my desk all the time. Since I work out of my home office, I am here a lot, and when I see a squirrel out the window I just sneak out the door and pop him. My son and I enjoy them fried (need parboiling if they are more than a year old), but my wife and daughers won't even consider eating them. Too bad, squirrel is really no different than rabbit, possum, or raccoon.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5475
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/27 01:14:13 (permalink)
I too wondered about killing the squirrels. I buy a 100lb bag of black oiled sunflower seeds and this last me for at least a full year. The bag costs less then 12 bucks and we love to watch all the birds, squirrels and opossums come around to eat.

MikeS.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/27 01:32:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

I too wondered about killing the squirrels. I buy a 100lb bag of black oiled sunflower seeds and this last me for at least a full year. The bag costs less then 12 bucks and we love to watch all the birds, squirrels and opossums come around to eat.

MikeS.

100LB of sunflower seed would last me no more than a month. There are so many of the rascal squirrels. My dingo dog will run off 4-5 at a time from the feeder. She feels like she scared H--- out of them but it does not work that way. As soon as she returns to the house, they return to the feeder.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/27 10:22:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by trolasater

You might want to try getting them drunk! My Father told me that when he was in the Army in Korea, he once noticed a lot of ring-necked pheasants for sale in a butcher shop. Since wild pheasants are normally hunted with shotguns and private firearms were forbidden, he investigated. Farmers would soak grain in sake and throw it out for their chickens. The pheasants would fly down out of the forest to peck with the chickens and all would finally pass out. The farmers would pick up the pheasants and wring their necks, letting the chickens sober up. Daddy would always laugh at the idea of a very hung-over rooster trying to crow the next morning.

Take it from me---this works!
Mark in Ohio
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 181
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/27 12:16:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

Does your air rifle have enough power to properly dispatch the squirrel? I was quite a little fiend with the air rifle when I was a kid. My conscience got the better of me as my targets on occasion ended up being maimed, and not dead. The thought of the poor creatures flopping around screeching in pain is not a nice one. I would suggest a larger caliber if possible.

That's the beauty of a pump up air rifle - by varying the number of times you pump it, you can adjust the velocity. Models vary, but manufacturers used to recommend from 1-3 pumps, which was basically to cover their butts in a litigious society. Our rule of thumb as kids was 1-2 pumps for inside target shooting, 2-4 pumps for outside plinking. If you caught the neighbor's dog pinching one off in your yard, you'd usually go for a butt shot: 4 pumps for a little dog or 6-8 shots for a large dog - if he had ever bit you [(:], go for 8-12 pumps, depending on range. The trick was to get a yelp and a jump out of him, but not to sink the incrinating BB/pellet into their hide.Birds, 3 pumps for a sparrow, 6 pumps for a big one; crows were good for a 25 cent state bounty, vultures were protected by law., Ah, squirrels, sure you can wax a squirrel with an air gun, once you get up around 8-12 pumps and using a pellet, you were approaching a .22 short on it's wimpiest day.
We never shot cats or birds at a feeder, and we never hunted as adults. Happy shooting and enjoy the squirrels!
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/27 22:29:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by SteveB9
These critters can be destructive to your house; I have known of two house fires started by them getting into the attic and eating away insulation on electric wires. Plus, if they die in the attic, you will have a BIG problem.

Steve,
Not to mention that more than once one of the little beggars has noticed this nice big metal thing sitting up the pole in front of my house and thought "must be lots of nuts in there" thoughts and taken its little squirrel hands and lifted the lid and BANG!!!!! We then have a combination of fried squirrel, power outage, and a third of Sharon Circle up in arms. Then either Walt next door or I have to call the power company and some poor cluck has to come out in the cold to get the power grid working again.
Back in the early 1970's, my late father nailed up two layers of screenwire across both the attic side vents. We've never had anything in the attic but junk and air since then, except when one of us would go up there to retrieve or replace something.
Preparedly, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
mtgreen
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 25
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/03 17:33:17 (permalink)
Pogo is 100% correct, sapling rat and dumpling is devine.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/03 19:36:47 (permalink)
In my opinion, this is one of the more fun threads that we ever had. It is not silly but very truthful.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/03 20:13:08 (permalink)
Noticed a thread today for Chippie Sauce. Wouldn't a sauce for chipmunk also work for squirrel?

We're in a "woodsy" suburb with a large Audubon refuge, a state park, and a town lake all within a couple of miles, and our property edges protected wetland. And in the Boston area where any shooting, of any kind, will land you in jail and/or that hospital from "A Beautiful Mind" and "Girl Interrupted." Needless to say we have lots of birds and fat feisty critters. (Although maybe not as tough as our Boston squirrels were. They used to rumble in gangs against each other, and one night they left a cat moaning outside our bedroom.)

Our feeders are on a post on our deck (only place we can see them from the windows, and get to them in the snow). We tried spring mounts, feeders with caging, the works. I think the squirrels actually enjoyed the bouncing action of the feeder on the spring. This year I bought one of the squirrel guard feeders with the spring-mounted cage that covers the feed holes (with leaf-shaped metal pieces) when depressed. It was under 20 bucks at Lowes. Couldn't believe the frustration on the damn critters' faces. Maybe it helped that it was a milder Winter, but we saved a ton of seed, had a lot more birds, and discovered what little pigs the Golden Finches really are.

Any idea how to teach the chipmunks not to throw cherries at the neighbors?

V960
  • Total Posts : 2429
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/12 12:04:43 (permalink)
Just happened upon this thread. I eat squirrel as much as I can. Here in NC we have the fox squirrel in addition to the grey squirrel. The fox squirrel is about the size of a large house cat.

I suggest adding the little critters to a brunswick stew. Traditional, tasty and hidden. They are a b***h to clean however. Pliars are usually required to get the skin off.

Howeever King Henry VIII considered squirrel to be the finest tasting meat on the planet. Be aware that eating the brains in now strongly discouraged. A offshoot of BSE is very common in squirrels. Quite a few grandpaws (they got the "best" parts) in Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee developed soem "problems" after eating squirrel brains.
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/12 12:09:02 (permalink)
Ah, so Squirrel brain is the Kentucky version of blowfish! Oughtta start marketing the suckers, should drive up the price.
fdaniels
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 84
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/12 12:37:01 (permalink)
Sundancer,

Try mixing cayenne pepper in with the bird seed. The birds are not affected by it, but the squirrels will be. That should discourage them from feasting at your feeders.

it also will keep racoons and other animals out of garbage cans and such. Take some petroleum jelly, mix in lots of ground cayenne, and spread where the critters are going that you don't want them to. When the step in the mix, it will stick to their paws, which they then try to lick clean. That usually does it.

good luck
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/13 00:02:53 (permalink)
Who woulda thunk that a thread on eating squirrel would go over 50 posts???
Not me!

MikeS.
CasperImproved
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 59
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/13 19:22:55 (permalink)
Actually, one of my fondest memories is of eating squirrel when I visited Grandma on my dad's side. My dad's (paternal as I've had three) family were straight out of Kentucky. White socks to bed and all. But boy! could my grandma cook. I never had a small "varmit" animal like squirrel cooked in other then a style I'd consider as a "smothered" chicken with dumplings... In fact, given a squirrel's properties, I'd say this is really the best way to go.

Only issue I ever had was Grandma's sloppy kisses when I visited, and when we had the occasional family reunion.. Black Label was a room full of yuck (and all of any age were encouraged to sample). However the 200+ cousins were something to watch out for as they were looking for anyone to have fun with (scary unless you haven't reached teenhood yet) until that that point it's all good fun .

Anyway, my contribution to this thread was to say squirrel is excellant eats as they mostly eat nuts, berries, etc. The only downside is they are to small to roast without being overly dry :-)

And no, they don't exactly taste like chicken (and neither does wild rabbit), but they sure cook up well using most of the same "wet" methods.

Casper
dholk
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 107
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/13 20:45:26 (permalink)
Squirrel Royale:

2oz cooked squirrel
1/2 lb foie gras
1/2 cup saffron
1 cup sour cream
1 cup Dave's Insanity Hot Sauce
1 small pinch freshly grated nutmeg

Mix all ingredients together and bake in a 325 degree oven until it no longer smells like squirrel, about 30 seconds.

Serve lukewarm with a few sprigs of lemongrass as a garnish.

I recommend Wild Turkey 101 straight as a beverage to complement the subtle flavors.

Copyright 2006, Dave

WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/13 21:40:06 (permalink)
Has anyone mentioned squirrel brains? A buddy of mine cooks the heads and eats the brains. He's not alone around here. He says it's the best part. I've seen him do it and it's not fun to watch. I'll eat about anything, but haven't cracked open a squirrel head yet. . . quartered and fried with gravy for me.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/13 23:55:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by WVHillbilly

Has anyone mentioned squirrel brains? A buddy of mine cooks the heads and eats the brains. He's not alone around here. He says it's the best part. I've seen him do it and it's not fun to watch. I'll eat about anything, but haven't cracked open a squirrel head yet. . . quartered and fried with gravy for me.

Hey Hillbilly, from V960's post above; Howeever King Henry VIII considered squirrel to be the finest tasting meat on the planet. Be aware that eating the brains in now strongly discouraged. A offshoot of BSE is very common in squirrels. Quite a few grandpaws (they got the "best" parts) in Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee developed soem "problems" after eating squirrel brains.

BSE, better known as Mad Cow disease.

MikeS.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18866
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/14 00:06:57 (permalink)
quote:

Obviously, you missed my earlier post,in which I said:

Now roasted squirrel brains do not taste like pork. I guess they taste sort of like squirrel brains. I can't give you a real recipe for squirrel brains. The only way I've ever had them was right from the cracked skull after they'd been roasted, wrapped in foil, in a campfire.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/14 04:58:05 (permalink)
quote:

THAT is so f'n GROSS!
Squidly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 64
RE: Squirrel recipe 2006/05/14 09:28:28 (permalink)
Fried squirrel brains are popular for breakfast with some of the old timers here in Arkansas. Fried up in the skull in bacon grease. Nothing wrong with maximizing it's food value. I bet Anthony Bourdain would dig right in.
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1