LockedSquirrel recipe

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
2004/11/23 14:49:06 (permalink)

Squirrel recipe

I have a extremely difficult problem. The Sundancer has a fat colony of squirrels that are fat from dining off of my sunflower seed, bird seed and corn that I put out for my birds at my five feeders.

The "Mayor" gave me some advice on using bottle rockets and I have used them religiously. I have shot off about 500 in the last couple of months. I have actually hit a couple of them but if you have ever used bottle rockets, you know that they are erractic in flight. A strike is more luck than skill. I shoot at them, they flee to a tree and hide and as soon as you return inside, they come back.

I decided to resort to my pump up air rifle. I received alls kinds of H--- from family members. Regardless, I may sneak a few into the Thanksgiving menu. Does anyone have a way to do this without family members being aware of what they are consuming. I doubt it.

I have a dog, Angel who is a dingo. She is fast and enjoys letting me spring open the storm door and she charges out the door at a fast pace. She has come close to catching the raiders and has actually slapped a couple across the A--, but has never caught one.

If the Sundancer was successful in leading the squirrels to the pearly gates to paradise, how would you prepare them for a Thanksgiving feast.

Thanks for your help.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

79 Replies Related Threads

carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 14:54:26 (permalink)
    Paul, are you getting a headstart on the libations?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 14:57:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Paul, are you getting a headstart on the libations?

Why would you ask that????????

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 15:03:48 (permalink)
    Do you have squirrel guards on your feeders??? My Dad used those with great success.
    The only way I've ever eaten squirrel is fried then smothered in gravy. I only ate them then was because I was in high school and crazy in love with a boy that hunted. Don't think I'd consume them again. There was no disguising them and their tiny little legs....good luck.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18655
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 15:05:27 (permalink)
    Here's a recipe from a friend of mine, Joan Cone. She's a game cookbook author. I've made this many times and it's always been a treat. Even my youngest daughter, who has always hated eating squirrel, has been eating and loving this since she was little (without knowing it was squirrel, of course).

Squirrel Casserole

3 cups boned, cut-up cooked squirrel
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 cup dairy sour cream
    1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup
    3/4 cup biscuit baking mix
    1/4 cup cornmeal
    3/4 cup milk
    1 egg
    1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat squirrel, the milk, sour cream and
    soup to boiling. Spoon into a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish. Beat the
    remaining ingredients, except the cheese, with a wire whisk or hand
    beater until almost smooth. Pour evenly over hot squirrel mixture.
    Sprinkle with cheese. Bake, uncovered, until the top is set and soup
    mixture bubbles around the edges, about 20 to 25 minutes. Serves
    six.

Warning: Even in Tennessee you need a hunting license for squirrels.

Let me know if you need any more squirrel recipes. By the way, squirrel is great in a Kentucky Burgoo or in Brunswick Stew.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 15:09:16 (permalink)
    I forgot to mention this: Try adding hot sauce to the stuff you put out for the birds. The squirrels hate it, but the birds aren't affected by it. I love watching the squirrels spitting and jumping around after getting a mouthful of treated bird seed. And they usually leave the stuff alone for a week or so before trying again. Tabasco with habanero is now my hot sauce of choice for doctoring the bird seed.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 15:09:58 (permalink)
    A squirrel guard on a feeder is a misnomer. I am not sure how they do it but they are creative creatures. I have tried a lot of ways to keep them out and at this point, I have not been successful. They can jump, leap, fly and whatever They are always there. I have tried habanero bits to no avail.

Regardless I believe I will never be successful without air rifle assault.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 15:10:05 (permalink)
    Squirrel is great in Brunswick Stew. I made one some years back for Thanksgiving with squirrel and it was delicious! The recipe I used was:

3 squirrels, dressed and quartered
    3 quarts water
    1 large onion
    1/2 pound lean ham, lean, diced
    2 pints tomatoes
    1 pint lima beans
    4 large Irish potatoes, diced
    1 pint corn, frozen or fresh
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 red pepper
    3 ounces butter

I browned the squirrel then basically simmered the stew for about four hours uncovered to reduce the liquid and fully cook everything
    Pogo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 15:11:16 (permalink)
    Paul,

Only one way to eat squirrel. Squirrel and dumplings!

Rusty246
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 15:28:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

A squirrel guard on a feeder is a misnomer. I am not sure how they do it but they are creative creatures. I have tried a lot of ways to keep them out and at this point, I have not been successful. They can jump, leap, fly and whatever They are always there. I have tried habanero bits to no avail.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN

I hate to laugh at your expense but find it unavoidable after reading this post.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 15:53:03 (permalink)
    Does your air rifle have enough power to properly dispatch the squirrel? I was quite a little fiend with the air rifle when I was a kid. My conscience got the better of me as my targets on occasion ended up being maimed, and not dead. The thought of the poor creatures flopping around screeching in pain is not a nice one. I would suggest a larger caliber if possible.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 16:25:42 (permalink)
    quote:

I have three feeders mounted on poles, and each one has one of those frisbee kind of disks on it. They are smooth plastic, and they can't hang on to them and get past. In 7 years, no squirrel has made it past. I think they were $4 at Home Depot. If you can't find one, get a regular frisbee.

I tried the shooting approach years ago, and ran out of pellets before running out of squirrels...and I had a LOT of pellets!
    Rusty246
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 16:37:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

I have three feeders mounted on poles, and each one has one of those frisbee kind of disks on it. They are smooth plastic, and they can't hang on to them and get past. In 7 years, no squirrel has made it past. I think they were $4 at Home Depot. If you can't find one, get a regular frisbee.

I tried the shooting approach years ago, and ran out of pellets before running out of squirrels...and I had a LOT of pellets!

This is just what I'm speaking of! Sundancer must have some bad @ss squirrels! Maybe it's a Tennessee thing.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 16:38:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:

Unfortunately, the Sundancer has so many shrubs and trees, the squirrels are able to leap where ever they wish. I cannot keep them off the feeders. I have tried habanero feed, bottle rockers which were suggested by the Mayor, leaving my dog out and there is nothing that I can do. I really hate to resort air rifle techniques. Someone indicated that the air rifle did not have the power. Mine do. It will shoot at 900 FPS and will terminate the squirrel activity but the rascals are alert to any activity. They vamoose at at any activity and hide and watch. As soon as the coast is clear, they return. They are wiley rascals. In a way, it is fun and my dingo dog really enjoys it as it is a case of try to catch which she is never successful.

Whatever and whatever. Sunflower seed is not cheap and the joy of watching varmits hijack my seed is somewhat fun.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 16:51:10 (permalink)
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 17:29:14 (permalink)
    I have a small red squirell that I feed.. He's very protective of his "zone" and keeps the big greys away! (He only eats off the ground and not the feeders). BTW, we have a few woodpeckers (red headed) that hang out on one of my feeders. The regulars are like 5" in length. Last Thursday I had a big mother of a red headed woodpecker in the trees... Had to be close to 20" in length... I went and grabbed the camera but he was gone by time I got back... I'm hoping he returns! As for the squirell, just use any rabbit recipe (so I have been told)... Only way I've ever had them is fried... Just salt, pepper, flour and oil...
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 17:54:56 (permalink)
    similar to Uncle Vic, I love my varmints fried like chicken...it works for squirrel, rabbit, and raccoon..
    jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 18:05:32 (permalink)
    At this rate, I expect Yosemite Sam to send a post anytime now.

You can tell I'm a city boy. I don't believe I've ever met anyone who has eaten squirrel. Could anyone describe what it tastes like? Or is it just something you have to experience?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 18:06:44 (permalink)
    Tastes like chicken.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 18:09:05 (permalink)
    Actually, it tastes a little like pork. Now roasted squirrel brains do not taste like pork. I guess they taste sort of like squirrel brains. I can't give you a real recipe for squirrel brains. The only way I've ever had them was right from the cracked skull after they'd been roasted, wrapped in foil, in a campfire.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 18:15:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Tastes like chicken.

Huh... I've always told people chicken tasted like squirrel..
    John B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 19:16:09 (permalink)
    Sundancer, try using safflower seed in your feeders. Squirrels generally don't like it but all of your birds will. Give it a try!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 19:59:09 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    I can vouch for the squirrelmeat-in-Brunswick-stew post earlier. A fellow I know who is a professional Civil War re-enactor says that purists demand the same food that the actual soldiers ate, which was mostly (if not all) game. He tells me that he's gotten to where he doesn't like commercial Brunswick stew because he's developed such an affinity for the slightly "gamey" taste of it with squirrel in it.
    One thing for sure, though... if there's a commercial processor of squirrel meat out there, I'll eat my cravat emptor. The re-enactors have to kill their own. Fortunately, squirrels are incredibly plentiful around here.
    Marsoupially, Ort. Carlton in Too-Rainy-For-The-Little-Critters-To-Be-Out-Without-Their-Teeny-Little-Squirrel-Umbrellas Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. They don't often use those because it only leaves them one hand free to dig for acorns.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 20:05:51 (permalink)
    Don't Piggly Wiggly stores down South have Squirrel Helper next to the Hamburger and Tuna Helper?
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/23 21:10:21 (permalink)
    quote:

Actually, it tastes a little like pork. Now roasted squirrel brains do not taste like pork. I guess they taste sort of like squirrel brains. I can't give you a real recipe for squirrel brains. The only way I've ever had them was right from the cracked skull after they'd been roasted, wrapped in foil, in a campfire.

Throwing up right now... THANKS A LOT...
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 10:11:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by UncleVic

BTW, we have a few woodpeckers (red headed) that hang out on one of my feeders. The regulars are like 5" in length. Last Thursday I had a big mother of a red headed woodpecker in the trees... Had to be close to 20" in length... I went and grabbed the camera but he was gone by time I got back... I'm hoping he returns!

Okay,
    Here's where the bird watcher in me comes out. The smaller woodpeckers are probably downy woodpeckers & will indeed frequent a feeder. That big guy you saw sounds like a pilliated woodpecker. They are very skittish around people but will continue to return to an area where there is a rotting tree. They go after the bugs in the rotting wood. I had a tree taken down on my front lawn some years back, leaving quite a large stump. I watched one of these larger woodpeckers tear that stump apart better than any stump grinder I 've seen at work. Every day I would remove a trash bag full of wood chunks he had removed from the stump. By the way you can learn to know then they are in the neighborhood by the loud call they give as the fly. Just think "Woodie the Woodpecker", after all he was based on a piliatted.
    MissKitty
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 292
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 10:12:09 (permalink)
    I have eaten squirrel. Just the once. It was roadkill recycled into dinner by my then landlady. She casseroled it with a lot of red wine with all the usual suspects like herbs and onions and carrots and a bit of garlic. It is pretty lean meat and does taste a bit gamey. I liked it, I have to admit. I would go with disguising it in a stew or soup if you want to serve it to those that may faint if you tell them its Mr Fluffy Tail. Tell them its rabbit if it makes them feel happier :P
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 11:01:00 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

What? No sense of adventure?
    jlobough
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 11:15:46 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator

quote:

What? No sense of adventure?

I'm pleased to see all the answers. I might even be inclined to try it someday, but not with my squirrels around here and all the likely diseases they have from living in a city environment.
    trolasater
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Squirrel recipe 2004/11/24 11:31:27 (permalink)
    You might want to try getting them drunk! My Father told me that when he was in the Army in Korea, he once noticed a lot of ring-necked pheasants for sale in a butcher shop. Since wild pheasants are normally hunted with shotguns and private firearms were forbidden, he investigated. Farmers would soak grain in sake and throw it out for their chickens. The pheasants would fly down out of the forest to peck with the chickens and all would finally pass out. The farmers would pick up the pheasants and wring their necks, letting the chickens sober up. Daddy would always laugh at the idea of a very hung-over rooster trying to crow the next morning.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1