The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

St. George Island, Florida, Trip Report

ragman929

• Total Posts: 23
St. George Island, Florida, Trip Report Fri, 07/8/05 8:10 PM (permalink)
Two restaurants to single out from our family trip to our favorite panhandle beach spot.

First, as always, Boss Oyster in Apalachicola. The oysters on the half-shell are the best I've had--amazingly fresh and perfectly shucked, the oyster separated from the shell so you can simply suck down the whole thing, juice and all. Their corn fritters are great, as were the buffalo shrimp. Besides those, they fry and boil fish and shellfish quite well. The key is to order the local seafood (oysters, shrimp, and grouper especially), which is always amazingly fresh. The location on the dock of Apalachicola is a great one for watching boats come in and out and for feeding seagulls after your meal. On top of that, they have Anchor Steam beer chilled in the bottle. Don't miss the Boss! We never do.

Second, a new restaurant for us, in Eastpoint, just east of the bridge to Apalachicola--El Jalisco, an inexpensive and quite tasty Mexican restuarant. Over all, quality is good--a bowl of chili con carne as a side for $2.95, for example, and house-made chile relleno done the right way with poblano chiles and cheese, for about the same price. But the real prize here are the shrimp dishes. Unlike most Mexican restaurants, the quality of the shrimp is amazing, as it's been purchased from the local shrimpers. For $5 a huge shrimp quesadilla, plate size with shrimps sauteed with onions, peppers, and tomatoes. And my favorite--the shrimp diavolo. Amazingly fresh shrimp with a quite intense, spicy red sauce. They also offer a shrimp soup which I meant to try, but the shrimp diavolo was so good I had to order it all three times we went.

Next time you're near Apalachicola, check out the Boss and El Jalisco. You won't regret it.

Pogo

• Total Posts: 269
    RE: St. George Island, Florida, Trip Report Sat, 07/9/05 12:23 PM (permalink)
    I love St. George! We camp at the State Park and always have a great time. (We probably shouldn't be telling everyone how great it is.)

I usually go to The Hut on the west side of town. Small place, locals only, great seafood.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com