St. Louis' slingers

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10400
2010/01/28 10:25:16 (permalink)

St. Louis' slingers

There has been some talk in a St. Louis trip report of mine about slingers.  So much so, I thought this delicious, unique regional dish deserved it's own thread.  Recently joined Roadfood member Battra has his own blog, in which he seeks out the best slingers in the city.   http://battra13.blogspot.com/

Here are a couple of slinger photos I took on my most recent trip to St. Louis.

From the Eat Rite Diner:

and South City Diner:

Still, my all-time favorite is the slinger made at the Goody Goody Diner called The Wilbur.

post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/01/28 10:53:28

30 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/01/28 10:45:54 (permalink)
    OK. What is a slinger?

FYI: I got Page Not Found using the URL you posted.
    post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/01/28 10:47:23
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10400
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/01/28 10:54:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Michael.  It is now fixed.
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/01/28 10:55:25 (permalink)
    Buffetbuster just alerted ol'battra to this thread, so I've come a runnin!

A slinger is a regional dish native to St. Louis, MO, where I happen to reside.  It's best explained in this post I made:

http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/10/little-help-for-my-out-of-town.html

I don't know why the link up top didn't work...

also...buffetbuster...You've had waaaaay better luck than I at Eat Rite and City Diner...not cool.  Not cool!  (I've not reviewed City Diner's slinger...though I should.)

Eat Rite was the second stop on my Slinger Odyssey after it became official.

http://battra13.blogspot.com/2009/04/part-of-continuing-series-st-louiss.html

I've also not tried the Wilbur yet...but I will...and Rooster's slinger...and City Diner NORTH (after it opens) and Courtesy Diner Hampton, and here and there...and I will even leave the City Limits of my fair and historic City soon....:(
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/01/28 10:57:42 (permalink)
    Also, part 12 of the continuing Slinger series is tentatively scheduled to take place on Feb 7th, Superbowl Sunday, with the corresponding post to take place on the 8th.

I'm trying to get out twice a month on these jaunts.

Then I also do reviews of dive bars as well.  I'm just trying to have fun with my wife and friends (bars) and with my father in law (slingers)

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/01/28 11:16:18 (permalink)
    OK. Thanks for the information. Sounds sort of like huevos rancheros on steriods.
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/01/28 11:18:12 (permalink)
    I don't know that I've ever had Huevos Ranceros...lol.

It's just a mishmash of several foods that we all love in St. Louis.  No one really knows where the slinger came from.  That's the best part about all of this.  It just is now...and it always has been maybe?

It's one of our secrets. :)  Kind of like Gooey Butter Cake.  I actually yelled at a friend of mine for taking Gooey Butter Cake to the east coast!

Also, please do not hesitate to contact me in any way on my blog!  (Formspring, email, comments, etc)
    post edited by battra - 2010/01/28 11:20:39
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/01 11:54:51 (permalink)
    OK.  The next jaunt for a slinger has been chosen!!  We will be heading out on Sunday as planned.  I'm not sure where we are headed though.  I have an idea in the West Side of St. Louis City, in the Clayton-Tamm Neighborhood. 

Then there's the downtown place I've heard so much about....I just don't know what to do here!!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/01 12:01:12 (permalink)
    both!
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/03 12:22:26 (permalink)
    Oh, I will hit both places!  The thing about my blog is that I also review dive bars you see.

So, on a couple places that I'm going, they've got bar sides and diner sides, so I'm going do a post on EACH side of the place.

Get the slinger...then belly up to the bar for a couple drinks. :)

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/04 11:23:34 (permalink)
    How does this dish vary from place to place? More cheese, onions, or... whatever.
    Joe
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/04 15:26:25 (permalink)
    OK...the major way it varies is what meat patties are used.

Burgers or sausage are both acceptable.  I've found that the ones that tend to use sausage patties though, are the worst ones.

The potatoes have really varied as well...from giant piles of hashbrowns to darn near potatoes au gratin...hashbrowns work the best.  I once had boiled potatoes.

The cheese is another variant.  It can come in slices of American hucked on top or shredded cheese poured over it.

Not enough places offer jalapenos.  Only had them on two slingers, the last Lafayette and the third Courtesy Diner.

Toast...some places give none, some give some under the slinger...some use texas toast.

The chili can come with or without beans.

Lots of variables really...that's part of why I'm doing the blogs on them.

The onions have come in several ways...from none, to shavings, to decorative to quarter sized chopped onions to long chopped onions.

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/04 15:39:32 (permalink)
    Great answer to my question Battra! I can see you know your Slingers!

I have a brain flash for those folks who can't make it to the bars in St. Louis... just order at Waffle House! You will have to give them the details though. Scattered, smothered.. and... :~)

I am already thinking of a Texanized version of this dish. Hey... imitation is tha best form of flattery Battra. :~)))
    Joe
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/04 16:12:40 (permalink)
    Thank you...I mean have ya seen the blog?  I'm about to go out for part TWELVE of the Slinger Series...and I've had more than that those!!!  Always looking for the next ones.

I'm sure ya can get a slinger at The Waffle Hizzy, but I don't go there much...I try to spend my money inside the County Limits of St. Louis City. (not a typo or misstep...lol)

City vs County is a BIG deal in St. Louis.  BIG deal...see the Great Divorce of 1876...when The City did something stupid.

So..the Waffle House misses the mark on the two things I prefer for my eateries...

1) Inside St. Louis City...none in the city.

2) Locally owned, mom and pop eatery.

I'm stupid looking forward to Sunday!  Going on the next slinger run, that's not on my dime. ;)  The father in law's paying for this one, and then we're going to the bar side of the place for a couple so I post on both sides!

battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/08 10:35:09 (permalink)
    Oh, we went out for slingers yesterday at a place called Pat's Bar & Grill in The Dogtown area of the Clayton/Tamm  neighborhood.

Very awesome.

I'll have a blog post on this one later on in the week. I'm now using a camera to do the photos and not my BlackBerry, so it takes a bit more time to get the photos and post.
    post edited by battra - 2010/02/08 10:38:32
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/10 09:24:53 (permalink)
    So, I think I'm going to post up the new blog post this evening.  I have some errands to run first.  My BlackBerry crapped out and I'm getting my replacement tonight...and I have an appointment with a college adviser...need to be a junior in the fall you see.

Then sometime tonight...especially since we don't have cable till Saturday...I think I'll post up that slinger post...after I cook stuffed peppers for my wife.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/10 17:53:31 (permalink)

I have read most of your writings about Slingers but don't recall, off hand, the total number of reviews.  I do know there were some you liked more than others although the less favored places did not draw a written conclusion never to return.  I think a couple of things or five. 
    *  You are under no obligation to go back to a place you did not like, no matter what.
    *   As an amateur reviewer (I guess) you are under no obligation to make multiple visits in the interest of "fairness."
    *  I don't see how you could go back to one place that was not satisfactory and revisit all of your less favorite spots to see if they had changed for the better.
    *  I personally would not go back to a place that had been so unsatisfactory, but if you do you certainly should not identify yourself at the outset, or even after.
    *   A reviewer of any stripe should never take a free meal.
    Really,  life is to short to go around repeating bad experiences for the interest of another, whether food is involved or something else. 

JMO

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/11 12:35:50 (permalink)
    Battra, before my comment about the Waffle House I did say "for those folks who can't make it to the bars in St. Louis". That let you off tha hook. :~)

We do have some avid WH fans roaming around here. WH does have all the ingredients. Hmm, I think I will top mine w/ a pecan waffle... or maybe just on tha side? Hey, waffles and fried chicken got together.

About a Texanized version... use Wolf Brand Chili (or homemade Texas chili) and Ranch Style Beans if you must... but not with homemade Texas Chili. Beans and real Texas Chili are fightin words around some circles. Hot Jimmy Dean sausage might work well also? I see Jalapenos (pickled I presume) and Texas Toast are already being used at some places. Hmm, avoid tha rope and use some Pace (it's made in El Paso) Picante Sauce?
    Joe
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/02/11 12:51:41
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/11 13:49:30 (permalink)
    Born in OKC

I have read most of your writings about Slingers but don't recall, off hand, the total number of reviews.  I do know there were some you liked more than others although the less favored places did not draw a written conclusion never to return.  I think a couple of things or five. 
    *  You are under no obligation to go back to a place you did not like, no matter what.
    *   As an amateur reviewer (I guess) you are under no obligation to make multiple visits in the interest of "fairness."
    *  I don't see how you could go back to one place that was not satisfactory and revisit all of your less favorite spots to see if they had changed for the better.
    *  I personally would not go back to a place that had been so unsatisfactory, but if you do you certainly should not identify yourself at the outset, or even after.
    *   A reviewer of any stripe should never take a free meal.
    Really,  life is to short to go around repeating bad experiences for the interest of another, whether food is involved or something else. 

JMO

thank ya for the kind words and the reads!!

I wasn't clear enough on the free meal thing...that was a whole other deal...I only mentioned it show how bad the experience was...that a free make up meal wasn't good enough to get me back in the door.

So, no, I would not be taking any free meal.

For the slingers...really my goal is to keep trying new ones...I actually just posted review number twelve today, and I'm off to get another slinger on Saturday....then probably post a review next week sometime.

battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/17 13:46:20 (permalink)
    I went out for another Slinger this past weekend and the post is up on my blog.

Thanks to those of you who make it over there and clicky click!
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/19 10:39:45 (permalink)
    I dunno if anybody's still reading this thread, but I accepted an offer yesterday to allow my slinger posts to be published in an upstart St. Louis City Newspaper.

St. Louis City Edition
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2434
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/19 11:13:10 (permalink)
    battra, you are definitely doing yeoman's work!  Don't know if/when I'd make it out to the gateway city to try one, but I'd hang a lip on it.

I think somewhere in an alternate universe, there is a family reunion of food and the St. Louis Slinger, Rochester, NY Nick Tahou Garbage Plate, Springfield, IL Horseshoe, Midwest Hoppel Poppel, Syracuse Fretta, Kentucky Hot Brown, Texas King Ranch Casserole, Pittsburgh Turkey Devonshire, Cinncinati 5-Way Chili, Minnesotean Tater-Tot Hot Dish, Quebec Poutine and all of their extended family are sitting around having a good laugh at how passionate we Roadfooders are about them!
    David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/19 14:12:56 (permalink)
    Ah, I hate to have to bring this up, but, uh, every free newspaper I have seen that has ads for restaurants and bars does not have reviews. They have features, puff pieces, publicity articles, promotional editorial content, spotlights, etc. They are where I find my beloved "Best Pizza In The Valley" award results. If Luigi's Pizza has an ad with coupons in the free paper every week, you can bet Luigi's will get glowing reviews. Maybe even be awarded the distinction of "Best Pizza In The Valley".

I got this way after reading puff piece after puff piece in New York Magazine while still a paying subscriber to the publication. This was before the Internet.
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/23 10:03:20 (permalink)
    billyboy

battra, you are definitely doing yeoman's work!  Don't know if/when I'd make it out to the gateway city to try one, but I'd hang a lip on it.

I think somewhere in an alternate universe, there is a family reunion of food and the St. Louis Slinger, Rochester, NY Nick Tahou Garbage Plate, Springfield, IL Horseshoe, Midwest Hoppel Poppel, Syracuse Fretta, Kentucky Hot Brown, Texas King Ranch Casserole, Pittsburgh Turkey Devonshire, Cinncinati 5-Way Chili, Minnesotean Tater-Tot Hot Dish, Quebec Poutine and all of their extended family are sitting around having a good laugh at how passionate we Roadfooders are about them!

LOL!

Also...I'm not sure I understand what you mean by the first line...is yeoman's work good? :)

battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/23 10:05:51 (permalink)
    David_NYC

Ah, I hate to have to bring this up, but, uh, every free newspaper I have seen that has ads for restaurants and bars does not have reviews. They have features, puff pieces, publicity articles, promotional editorial content, spotlights, etc. They are where I find my beloved "Best Pizza In The Valley" award results. If Luigi's Pizza has an ad with coupons in the free paper every week, you can bet Luigi's will get glowing reviews. Maybe even be awarded the distinction of "Best Pizza In The Valley".

I got this way after reading puff piece after puff piece in New York Magazine while still a paying subscriber to the publication. This was before the Internet.

This free paper is just starting it's only been in circulation for 3 months.  I don't know where it's heading, but here in St. Louis we have two very well respected, weekly free papers that I can think of, and honestly, I'd love to get on with them.

It's a start, and a nice surprise for someone who's blog started because of a smart azzed comment to his wife. :)
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2434
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/23 10:21:43 (permalink)
    Definitely a good thing.  Pusuits of this nature: your slinger hunt, Buffetbuster's pursuit of all things PIE, Davyd's breaded pork tenderloin quest, Wanderingjew's coney/fish taco/smoothie/Basque cuisine expeditions. my cupcake/burger/bagel/pizza slice/egg cream journeys and many other pursuits by countless Roadfooders can be an unsung and sometimes lonely and disappointing pursuit. 

Friends and family who think we are insane, kissing too many frogs in search of the one or two ideal specimens that meet our criteria and the quizzical looks and arched brows that we receive from other diners who can't fathom why we are letting our food get cold as we angle for that perfect camera shot.  Despite all of that, I wouldn't change a thing!  I love this stuff!
    post edited by billyboy - 2010/02/23 10:39:50
    Mediator
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/23 10:48:39 (permalink)
    It appears you still haven't made it to Goody Goody Diner for their Wilbur.  Do yourself a favor and make that your next stop.  Goody Goody has previously been reviewed favorably on this site and I know you'll enjoy the traditional diner atmosphere as well as the food.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/23 12:13:32 (permalink)
    Congrats Battra! The longest journey began with a single step.

Oh Billy... you forgot Chicken Fried Steak! The discussion, in that alternate universe, over what items to include in the list could go on for (-).
    Joe
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/02/23 13:31:24 (permalink)
    I will get to the Wilbur...but it's not a traditional slinger...and I think I'll have to include it in the variant category, and also...I really want a good, normal slinger...

Going out this Saturday!!
    battra
    Cheeseburger
    Re:St. Louis' slingers 2010/03/01 09:58:11 (permalink)
    I tried to go to Goody Goody Diner this past Saturday, but they close at 2, and that was when we arrived.

So we ended up at the Courtesy Diner on Hampton Ave...I've already been to their other location.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1