Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Jennie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 389
2007/03/01 11:40:12 (permalink)

Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore

From the Baltimore Sun
http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/annearundel/bal-md.ar.rantin01mar01,0,7578319.story

Clash over crab cakes moves to courthouse
Man charged in bloody fight at carryout

By Andrea F. Siegel
Sun reporter

March 1, 2007

In the end, neither Jeffrey Rites nor Keith Anthony Rantin Jr. got any of G&M Restaurant and Lounge's famous crab cakes for lunch.

In a scuffle over who was next in line at the Linthicum Heights carryout, Rites was stabbed. Then Rantin was charged. And today, a jury will be asked to sort through the messy saga.

Rantin is on trial in Anne Arundel County Circuit Court, accused of felony assault and three related crimes. Exactly what happened at the restaurant counter - including who started it and who had what weapon - has been the subject of nearly two days of testimony and one video clip.

What was at stake was who would eat first. So coveted are G&M's crab cakes that not only do lines of hungry devotees stretch out the door, but the delicacies can be ordered online and shipped overnight anywhere in the country. Baltimore magazine named them the best in the region in 2004 and 2005, according to the restaurant's Web site.

Assistant State's Attorney Michael Dunty maintains that Rites, 39, of Violetville, responded before Rantin, 31, a Reisterstown barber and home rehabber, when the "who's next?" call went out at lunchtime March 28.

Asserting that Rites was not next, Rantin began arguing, and the confrontation went from words to shoving to the stabbing, the prosecutor said.

Rites had his left wrist slashed and left lung punctured. Employees tried to break up the brawl, and in short order, both men were in the parking lot.

Outside, a Baltimore County rescue crew coming for lunch instead got to take Rites to Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Within days, a warrant was issued for Rantin, who had left while sirens were wailing.

Through his attorney, Kenneth W. Ravenell, Rantin has maintained that he stabbed an over-the-edge Rites in self-defense.

On the witness stand yesterday, Rantin said that when he tried to say that he was really next, Rites responded with profanity and a shove. So he put his keys and cash down and came at Rites.

"I pushed him because he pushed me," Rantin testified on cross-examination.

Rantin testified that he saw Rites reach for his waist. He figured Rites was going to grab a knife - but he did not see one - so Rantin grabbed his own knife from his waist, he said.

"I stuck him first," Rantin said. "He had me pinned up against the case. I was not going down for this guy to stick me."

A restaurant worker recalled a frenzied scene but didn't see a stabbing.

"All of a sudden, there was a commotion," testified carryout manager Pantelis Ieronomahos, who had been at the cash register.

Rites called Rantin "all kinds of names," he said, reluctant to repeat the vulgarities. But Judge William C. Mulford II coaxed the foul language out of him.

Police recovered no knives. Rantin admitted that he threw away his bloody T-shirt and knife when he reached his Baltimore work site.

"I still didn't get lunch," Rantin said.

74 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 11:43:55 (permalink)
    Well, they are really, really good, but that's going just a tad too far.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 12:29:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Unless you are really hungry.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18382
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 12:30:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tony Bad

quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Unless you are really hungry.

There is that.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6383
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 14:05:09 (permalink)
    I will agree with you that they are really good, but to stab someone for them.......

I think I will stick to mail order.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10225
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 14:19:45 (permalink)
    I have been known to go to great leangths for good food, but this is just ridiculous. As much as I hate the idea of somebody cutting in line, I'm not willing to get stabbed over "Who's Next".
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15244
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 14:23:00 (permalink)
    Cajun- Sounds like a disgruntled Postal Worker Situation... Sticking it to the Mail order person?

Yeah , The Crabcakes are that good! I have a feeling that the next time we want to hold a 'Crabstock' session there, the authorities will be busy snapping photos of our membership for Homeland Security!

Here's a recent Roadfood Delivery at G & M during a Crabstock Meeting. I think it could start WW III if the timing was right!

Ashphalt
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 15:11:50 (permalink)
    You mean, it's not "Stabbing is Caring"?

Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 15:37:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Cajun- Sounds like a disgruntled Postal Worker Situation... Sticking it to the Mail order person?

Yeah , The Crabcakes are that good! I have a feeling that the next time we want to hold a 'Crabstock' session there, the authorities will be busy snapping photos of our membership for Homeland Security!

Here's a recent Roadfood Delivery at G & M during a Crabstock Meeting. I think it could start WW III if the timing was right!

They are that good. I had some shipped over Christmas. For my birthday I'm taking out a second mortgage on my house to get more!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 16:11:45 (permalink)
    Signman, wherever you are, please bring your gun with you when we meet up at G&M in July, on our trip to Lancaster.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/01 19:44:55 (permalink)
    Lancaster, PA. Great downtown food market. Great small town with lotsa options.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/02 00:03:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

Signman, wherever you are, please bring your gun with you when we meet up at G&M in July, on our trip to Lancaster.

Wait a minute, this is Maryland we're talking about not Virginia. Concealed carry in Md is almost unheard of and open carry is Verboten! Where as in Va concealed carry permits are fairly easy to get and open carry is perfectly legal.

Otherwise it's never smart to fight over who might be next for a meal.

MikeS.
    Cinnabonbon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/02 00:12:18 (permalink)
    I love crab cakes. Reading this article makes me think twice about speaking up when someone cuts in line at the food counter...
    Oneiron339
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/02 07:13:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MikeS.

quote:

Wait a minute, this is Maryland we're talking about not Virginia. Concealed carry in Md is almost unheard of and open carry is Verboten! Where as in Va concealed carry permits are fairly easy to get and open carry is perfectly legal.

Otherwise it's never smart to fight over who might be next for a meal.

MikeS.

Well in that case I'll just stand behind Signman when the shootin' starts.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/02 12:42:11 (permalink)
    I know when to keep my mouth shut.

Actually, will be dining at either G & M or Olive Grove tonight.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7771
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/02 13:41:47 (permalink)
    I read the article.
    The Judge appears to be a complete jerk- coaxing the profanities out of the victim. Profanity may not be the most mature way to deal with things- but it's not against the law and it doesn't give the other party a right to stab, shoot or kill someone. Nowadays it almost seems permissible to assault someone because they flipped you the bird or uttered something you found insulting or offensive. Maybe when you're twelve years old it's ok, but as adults in the real world any type of assault even when it's provoked by profanity is a criminal act and should be punished to the fullest extent of the law
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/02 19:36:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

IProfanity may not be the most mature way to deal with things- but it's not against the law

Actually, there are many laws preventing certain uses of profanities and other language, expecially when used in conjunction with physical force, like pushing.

Oneiron339
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/04 10:35:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

IProfanity may not be the most mature way to deal with things- but it's not against the law

Actually, there are many laws preventing certain uses of profanities and other language, expecially when used in conjunction with physical force, like pushing.

This is Baltimore, what's your point?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/04 10:56:51 (permalink)
    This makes me feel better about almost always allowing others to go in front of me if they are in a big hurry. You live longer that way.
    Jennie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 389
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/04 13:07:13 (permalink)
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/annearundel/bal-rantin0302,0,5673128.story

No verdict in Arundel crab cake dispute
    Man was stabbed during argument about who was first in line
    By Andrea F. Seigel
    Sun Reporter

Originally published March 2, 2007, 9:11 PM EST

After almost a day and a half of deliberations, an Anne Arundel County jury was unable to reach a verdict Friday in a stabbing case that stemmed from a dispute over who was next in line at a popular crab cake restaurant.
    Keith Anthony Rantin Jr., 31, of Reisterstown faced a four-count indictment in the March 28, 2006, stabbing of Jeffrey Rites, 39, of Carroll County at the G&M Restaurant and Lounge in Linthicum Heights.

Prosecutors maintained that Rantin attacked Rites at the carryout counter during the lunch rush. Rantin's lawyer said he acted in self-defense.

"We believe that the evidence shows that Mr. Rantin acted in self-defense, said Kenneth W. Ravenell, Rantin's attorney.

Prosecutors plan to retry to the case, said a spokeswoman for the state's attorney.

Rites insisted Friday that he had no weapon at the restaurant. "Justice was not served," he said.

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/05 14:23:43 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

my point is that you can't just start using profanities and then say the other person "assaulted" you.
    and it's not Baltimore, it's Linthicum Heights, which is in Anne Arundel County.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/05 14:31:24 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

my point is that you can't just start using profanities and then say the other person "assaulted" you.
    and it's not Baltimore, it's Linthicum Heights, which is in Anne Arundel County.

yes and no.

Telling someone what they can do with themselves or calling them a "blankety blank blank" does not warrant any type of physical assault- that would be completely inexcusable however if someone says they are going to do blank-blank-blank to you and then lunges after you, well- use your best judgement wisely
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/05 17:01:35 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

yes and no.

Telling someone what they can do with themselves or calling them a "blankety blank blank" does not warrant any type of physical assault- that would be completely inexcusable however if someone says they are going to do blank-blank-blank to you and then lunges after you, well- use your best judgement wisely

they don't just have to lung at you, they can display apparent threatening body language. It's a bit knee-jerk to say that the person who did the stabbing was clearly "out of his mind" or "wrong," since he may have actually been defending himself, as the jurors can't seem to find him guilty.

jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/05 17:31:16 (permalink)
    I'm surprised they didn't put G & M's website address in the original article. LOL. They do look really tasty though!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/05 18:09:53 (permalink)
    Deerfolk,
    Bin I the third in line, I'd'a solved the problem real good. I'd'a jest pulled my sawed-off out'n under my coat, blasted 'em both to heck an' gone, blowed the smoke off'n the barrel, hooked it back up'n under my coat, and... guess whut?!?!?!? -- I'd'a been THE NEXT ONE IN LINE!
    Gaw'lee, it don't git no eas'er then that.
    Not Wantin' To Git Crabby, Ort. Carlton, Down Hear Amongst The Civil Folk In Athens, Georgia.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/05 18:10:04 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

yes and no.

they don't just have to lung at you, they can display apparent threatening body language. It's a bit knee-jerk to say that the person who did the stabbing was clearly "out of his mind" or "wrong," since he may have actually been defending himself, as the jurors can't seem to find him guilty.

There are so many factors that have to be taken into consideration.
    Many of which I don't want to get into,however if you recall even OJ got off despite the obvious surmountable evidence against him. Personally I would question why this guy was carrying around a knife to begin with- I certainly don't and off hand I can't think of any friends or family that go around carrying knives. It seems like the profanity vs self defense card is almost as horrendous as the rape/sexual assault "she was asking for it card" thankfully now most juries won't buy that, however back in the day, many did.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/05 18:26:01 (permalink)
    quote:

It seems like the profanity vs self defense card is almost as horrendous as the rape/sexual assault "she was asking for it card".

they are not even in the same ballpark. BAD analogy.

MANY people carry around a pocket knife or two or other utility knife at all times. two of my best friends and my father in law included. My good buddy in my office used to carry around a 3-4" pocket knife until he got his gov't job and can't get in the building with a knife in his pocket. There are numerous uses for a small knife on your person.

MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/06 00:46:44 (permalink)
    I've carred a pocket knife for the majority of my life. I still do, even working in a class 5 federal facility and up until 9/11 I carried it on airplanes too. It's about a 3.5" blade that I keep wicked sharp. It's a very useful tool. A few times it's come in very handy at a restaurant.

MikeS.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/06 09:40:22 (permalink)
    Are they going to start calling them "stabcakes" now?
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Stabbing at G&M Crabcakes, Baltimore 2007/03/06 10:42:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jvsmom

Are they going to start calling them "stabcakes" now?

~I love puns, they make you laugh and groan at the same time.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1