Staking canapy to pavement

Author
holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
2010/06/17 21:53:43 (permalink)

Staking canapy to pavement

Need advice on how to stake my canapy to pavement. First where do you get the big stakes? Do you pre-drill a hole before you drive them in"? Thanks.

18 Replies Related Threads

WyldeChef
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/17 21:58:05 (permalink)
    Oh i read this wrong I thought it said Steak Canapés.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/17 22:41:11 (permalink)
    How big is your canopy and why do you what to stake the thing. Have used sandbags to hold the thing down. EZ-Up has these. Get play sand from walmart and fill the bags. Mine has withstood some pretty good blows where others are blown over.
    http://www.ezup.com/accessories/weightbag.shtml
    FriedTater
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/17 23:28:18 (permalink)
    An old EZ-Up Tent veteran of mine told me how to do it. You can stake the four corners all you want, but the kicker is to stake the center of the tent itself. I have the ez-up tent from Sams, eclispe II I think. Anyway, I tie a rope from the middle framework to a stake or tub of cement. So in therory I have 5 holding points keeping the tent from blowing away.  I have been thru 2 recent wind storms and both times I came out alive with a tent while others had to make a trip to the boneyard with theres. Last year a friend of mine just un-did the top and let the wind blow thru.
    Good luck.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/17 23:38:56 (permalink)
    Going to try that next time. We get some pretty mean gusts right before the rain. Mine just sits there and shutters and shakes, but as you stated everyone else picking theirs up.
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/18 08:35:13 (permalink)
    Thanks. I've got a 10 x 10. It' a pole tent. I've tried the weights and sand bags when I used an easy up with some success. I have banner signs over the tent. I also put sides on it at night. Kind of tuns it into a large kite. I always stake down in the grass and have never had a problem. Looking to do the same on pavement but can't find the big stakes to do it with.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/18 09:33:28 (permalink)
    After doing hundreds of radio promotions with these tents, I have found, what I consider the ultimate answer.

Get 4 empty 5 gallon pickle barrels with handles. and 4, or 8 bungee cords, to be on the safe side.  Put each tent leg in the empty bucket, bungee the tent to the buckets and fill the buckets with water.

Light to carry and very effective.

lornaschinske
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1610
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/18 11:53:55 (permalink)
    FriedTater ... I tie a rope from the middle framework to a stake or tub of cement...

The tubs of cement and concrete blocks are popular with some of the new or not-so-bright Rvers to keep their canopies and awnings tied sown during high winds.  Also makes some nice flying projectiles when the awning/canopy turns into a kite.  I've seen more than one RV with a nice hole punched into the side from a hunk of cement.

Go to someplace like Dollar Tree and buy the cheap screw-in-the-ground pet tie out.  You will need one for each corner.  You will need a bungie cord for each corner plus a little extra roope to extend the bungie (we use the racheting cargo straps because we just have plenty of them on hand... I would suggest RED if you need to buy them, so folks will see them).  you don't need real long bungies as you are only using them as "shock" lines.  The wind will catch up under the canopy, and the bungie will stretch and then pull back as the wind escapes from under the awning.  You need to attach the corners at the strongest point of your canopy... do not attach to the weaker hinged side bars.  On our First UP (10X20) we attach at the upright pole bracket... we do not attach at the center ridge section as it is not a strong point. This is how you secure on grass and fairly solid dirt.  Loose, sandy soil does not want to hold too well in strong wind.  On pavement you will want to use the same system but change the tie outs to sand bags or water buckets.  The sandbag/water buckets do not hold down as well, so if the winds get fierce, you will want to drop your canopy. The give & take that bungies extert can be a little disconcerting if you aren't used to it.

I've used the bungie cord/tie outs on large cabin tents, freestanding canopies and RV awnings for over 30 years.  I left one freestanding canopy up in our back yard near Chattanooga TN for one whole summer (I was working on our popup under it).  You need a good heavy framed canopy (too many aren't) to do this. 

edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2111
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/18 12:25:37 (permalink)
    holdem

Need advice on how to stake my canapy to pavement. First where do you get the big stakes? Do you pre-drill a hole before you drive them in"? Thanks.

Punching holes in the asphalt will damage it, if not properly repaired after removing the stakes.  ..... So you better have the owner's permission before driving stakes into HIS ($10k plus) asphalt.
    holdem
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/18 18:39:15 (permalink)
    Would surely get permission first and would repair the holes. Most of the bigger tents at the carnivals stake them to the pavement. Same as with large wedding tents. I need it to be as secure as possible to protect my cooking equipment. Thanks.
    edwmax
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/18 18:55:20 (permalink)
    Repair kits are available for patching tent-stake holes.  Similar to quickcrete or sackcrete, but for asphalt.
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/18 21:52:49 (permalink)
    holdem

Would surely get permission first and would repair the holes. Most of the bigger tents at the carnivals stake them to the pavement. Same as with large wedding tents. I need it to be as secure as possible to protect my cooking equipment. Thanks.

I don't know about other cities but if you tried to drive a stake in our street, they would arrest you on the spot. All the tent companies here use 50 gal blue plastic barrels on all four corners for tents and when they take the tent down they just open the plug on the bottom of the barrel, and drain the water.
    edwmax
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/06/18 22:50:15 (permalink)
    I thought holdem was referring to private parking lots & drives   ..... hummm ...may be not  ... forget stakes on public streets, it's not likely to get permission to use them ......
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/07/17 14:19:08 (permalink)
    You can pound 3/4" or thicker stakes right into asphalt but it is work.  The guys that work for tent companies are used to it.  You can use a good cordless hammer drill with 1/2" chuck and masonary bit to pre drill the asphalt.  You will need some water while drilling.  Any good steel fabricator will have steel rod.

Another idea would be to weld 12" x 12" x 11 ga steel plate to the bottom of your tent poles and then use sand bags to hold the plated poles down.
    edwmax
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/07/18 08:50:46 (permalink)
    Public street construction is much different than parking lots.    ...   Parking lots are 1 1/2 to 2 inch asphalt over 3 to 6 inch compacted aggregate.     .... Streets are 4 to 10 inch asphalt over  6 to 12 inch compacted aggregate.  And if the street is old and has been repaved there is multiple layers of asphalt and/or concrete.    ...  It is not likely some one can easily pound a 3/4" rod into a street.

A 1/2 or 5/8 inch rod by 18 inch long should be OK for smaller tents (14ft x14ft). These should be fairly easy to drive into a parking lot asphalt.
    Matt Gleason
    Health Inspector
    • Total Posts : 689
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/07/18 10:10:04 (permalink)
    Matt Gleason

You can pound 3/4" or thicker stakes right into asphalt but it is work.  The guys that work for tent companies are used to it.  You can use a good cordless hammer drill with 1/2" chuck and masonary bit to pre drill the asphalt.  You will need some water while drilling.  Any good steel fabricator will have steel rod.

Another idea would be to weld 12" x 12" x 11 ga steel plate to the bottom of your tent poles and then use sand bags to hold the plated poles down.

Actually it is likely.  Been there, watched it.
    Red Sox Nation
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/07/26 21:08:35 (permalink)
    holdem

Easy solution. Get (4) 5 gal. buckets and 2" PVC pipe. Drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket and feed the pvc pipe through it to be 3 feet above the bucket. Do this for all for buckets. Now use silcone and seal the inside of the buckets and let set. Fill the buckets with cement. Now you can slide the poles inside the 2" pipe. For added security. Drill a hole through the pipe and the tent pole and place a pin inside so it does not turn into a missile when a gust of wind blows by.
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/07/27 00:44:39 (permalink)
    i used to pop tents for a rental company. If you are going to stake pavement, asphalt, you better have a jack hammer and a sledge hammer & be prepared for some work. it's not easy. Most ppl won't want you to do it, it cracks the pavement or asphalt. They sell plugs to fill the holes when you are done, if they let you. Just drop em in and the tires from the traffic heats the plugs and all is done.

rethink the stakes IMHO
    muffin336
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    Re:Staking canapy to pavement 2010/07/30 19:55:18 (permalink)
    I must be doing it all wronge.............I'm using a 1 inch nylon ratchet strap 6 feet long and hook it to one corner of my canopy and the other end I attach to my cooler! If it is realy windy I use another and attach it to my cart! No weights or water to bring. And yes it works on grass or asphalt or concrete! I throw these straps in the roof as I colaspe my canopy every time I break down. I know exactly where they are because when I set up the canopy they hit the ground and it reminds me to tie down.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1