The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

 Standing Rib Roast

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50
Author Message
John A

  • Total Posts: 4295
  • Joined: 1/27/2006
  • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
RE: Standing Rib Roast Mon, 12/24/07 7:41 AM (permalink)
Best to let a Rib Roast come up to room temperature before cooking, a big one will take up to two hours.
 
#31
    prius

    • Total Posts: 109
    • Joined: 3/10/2004
    • Location: Greensboro, NC
    RE: Standing Rib Roast Mon, 12/24/07 9:22 AM (permalink)
    Just cooked mine yesterday...perfect. Let the meat sit out for 2 hours before cooking. Salt and pepper only. Roast 20 minutes at 450 then turn down to 350 and continue to roast. For medium rare cook to internal temperature of 120...for medium, cook to temperature of 130-135....let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting.
     
    #32
      desertdog

      • Total Posts: 1946
      • Joined: 5/24/2006
      • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
      RE: Standing Rib Roast Mon, 12/24/07 10:04 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Sundancer7

      DD: Looks like a very expensive nice looking piece of meat. I thought about doing it as this thread indicates for Christmas. I did not a couple of days ago but not nearly that large. I canceled the one for Christmas as most of the family will not be here. Just me and my dog.

      Paul E. Smith
      knoxville, TN



      Paul,

      You would always be welcome at my table.



      I rubbed that meat down yesterday with a paste made of Olive oil and a combination of spices I had in the pantry, then covered it loosely with Aluminum foil in the fridge.

      It is ten pounds, so I will take it out (as John said) about 2 hours before I start. I think I will toss it on a very hot grill for 10 minutes or so to char it up a bit, then put it in the oven at 225 to finish. I bought a digital thermometer so I don't have to keep opening the oven to check the temp. I will pull it at 115 internal and let it rest 20-30 minutes.

      I will be making Yorkshire pudding as well as some bacon wrapped scallops, my wife is going to make a quiche for the vegetarians in the crowd. I haven't decided on the green vegetable yet, maybe grilled asparagus. Do I need to do a potato? Au gratin maybe?


       
      #33
        susanll

        • Total Posts: 1077
        • Joined: 10/27/2006
        • Location: bartlett, TN
        RE: Standing Rib Roast Mon, 12/24/07 10:23 AM (permalink)
        We are having rib roast with Yorkies tomorrow, too. I opted out of the potato as the pudding is the starch.
         
        #34
          John A

          • Total Posts: 4295
          • Joined: 1/27/2006
          • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
          RE: Standing Rib Roast Mon, 12/24/07 5:11 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by desertdog

          quote:
          Originally posted by Sundancer7

          DD: Looks like a very expensive nice looking piece of meat. I thought about doing it as this thread indicates for Christmas. I did not a couple of days ago but not nearly that large. I canceled the one for Christmas as most of the family will not be here. Just me and my dog.

          Paul E. Smith
          knoxville, TN



          Paul,

          You would always be welcome at my table.



          I rubbed that meat down yesterday with a paste made of Olive oil and a combination of spices I had in the pantry, then covered it loosely with Aluminum foil in the fridge.

          It is ten pounds, so I will take it out (as John said) about 2 hours before I start. I think I will toss it on a very hot grill for 10 minutes or so to char it up a bit, then put it in the oven at 225 to finish. I bought a digital thermometer so I don't have to keep opening the oven to check the temp. I will pull it at 115 internal and let it rest 20-30 minutes.

          I will be making Yorkshire pudding as well as some bacon wrapped scallops, my wife is going to make a quiche for the vegetarians in the crowd. I haven't decided on the green vegetable yet, maybe grilled asparagus. Do I need to do a potato? Au gratin maybe?



          DD, I'm going to give these a try:

          http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidedishrecipes/r/cpgarlicpotato.htm
           
          #35
            seafarer john

            RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 12:06 PM (permalink)
            We had an 11 lb., four rib, roast beef last night - it was not aged, we have no place around the valley that sells aged beef. We had it sitting n the counter for about 6 hours before it went into the 450 oven- the digital thermometer registered 46 when we put it in the oven.After 20 minutes we lowered the temp to 325 (convection oven) and it was up to 117 in just about 2 1/4 hours. We let it rest for about 40 minutes while the Yorkshire pudding was prepared and baked. The meat was nicely rare, with some well done outside brown for the nine of us to get a taste of, along with a tasty gravy, mashed potatoes, snap peas, composed salad, and dessert. The dessert was poached pears with strawberry/raspberry sauce and whipped cream - excellent!

            Merry Xmas to all and cheers, John

             
            #36
              LindaW

              • Total Posts: 338
              • Joined: 5/10/2005
              • Location: Watervliet, NY
              RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 12:52 PM (permalink)
              need your help....if anyone is checking in today....I have 2 - 4 lb bone in rib roasts that I'm cooking later....need to roast to medium rare...I wanted to get an 8 lb..but the butcher marked this down right in front of me...and I couldn't resist....so...do I keep the 2 roasts separate or push together...I'm leaning towards spacing them..plus should I start at high heat and then roast low...and for how long...I'm going to roast some cippoline onions in the pan as well...and rub some fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt over the roasts...

              Thanks to all my RF buddies and I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday filled with peace, love, laughter and great food!!!!
               
              #37
                Mosca

                • Total Posts: 2930
                • Joined: 5/26/2004
                • Location: Mountain Top, PA
                RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 1:59 PM (permalink)
                Hi Linda,

                Use a meat thermometer, and put them spaced apart in a 250* oven. A 4 lb roast will be done in 1.5-2 hours, I'd think; separated they should take about that time, if you put them together they'll be done in about 4 hours. I'm allowing 4.5 hours for a single 9.4 lb roast. I pull mine at 130*, others will pull at 120*.
                 
                #38
                  desertdog

                  • Total Posts: 1946
                  • Joined: 5/24/2006
                  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
                  RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 3:10 PM (permalink)


                  I pulled mine at 120* and it was 130* by the time we let it rest (about 40 minutes.) Came out perfect!

                  We were a total of 17 people, so guests brought wine, appetizers, desserts.

                  I made the Standing Rib Roast, Yorkshire Pudding, Adobo Potato and Zucchini Au gratin, and bacon wrapped Scallions basted in a butter-lemon-worcestershire sauce.

                  The meal was a complete success and we spent a wonderful evening with friends and family!

                   
                  #39
                    sizz

                    • Total Posts: 1682
                    • Joined: 2/12/2004
                    • Location: San Jose, CA
                    RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 3:19 PM (permalink)
                    I'm doing a pork 16 rib standing crown roast............. it's in the oven right now.... in 2 hours I'll add the oyster stuffing into the center of the roast .......... Family dinner at 4:00PM .so I'm killing time waiting ...................and reading the instructions for the new boat GPS I found under the tree this morning .... life is good
                    I'll take some pics of the roast and we'll all see what happens............ Merry Christmas everyone............... Frank C.
                     
                    #40
                      Russ Jackson

                      • Total Posts: 2257
                      • Joined: 11/28/2007
                      • Location: Xenia
                      RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 5:12 PM (permalink)
                      I have a 6.5 lb Prime Rib in the oven right now. I rubbed it down prior with 2 heads of roasted garlic in olive oil and a little raw sugar. I mixed the paste with a rub of onion powder,whole cracked pepper,1/2 of a dried poblano ground,dried jalapeno,kosker salt,and some crushed red pepper,all spices from penzeys. 500 degree oven for 15 minutes then to 325 until it reaches 120 degrees then let it sit for 20 minutes or longer the internal temp rose to 133 when I cut it like http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm says. Internal temp is at 93 degrees right now. Will post pics after resting....Russ
                       
                      #41
                        Russ Jackson

                        • Total Posts: 2257
                        • Joined: 11/28/2007
                        • Location: Xenia
                        RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 6:33 PM (permalink)






                        I think the pictures tell the story. The crust was excellent. Feed 5 with leftovers for lunch tommorow. .....Merry Christmas Russ
                         
                        #42
                          ann peeples

                          • Total Posts: 8317
                          • Joined: 5/21/2006
                          • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                          RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 7:18 PM (permalink)
                          Beautiful, Russ!!!
                           
                          #43
                            will_work_4_bbq

                            • Total Posts: 399
                            • Joined: 1/11/2006
                            • Location: Birmingham, AL
                            RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 8:30 PM (permalink)
                            That is gorgeous, Russ. Makes me wish we had done a rib roast instead of ham for Christmas.
                             
                            #44
                              Big_g

                              RE: Standing Rib Roast Tue, 12/25/07 8:31 PM (permalink)
                              Russ, that looks great and I'll bet it tasted as good as it looks.
                               
                              #45
                                John A

                                • Total Posts: 4295
                                • Joined: 1/27/2006
                                • Location: Daytona Beach, FL
                                RE: Standing Rib Roast Wed, 12/26/07 7:00 AM (permalink)
                                Very nice Russ, yes sir.
                                 
                                #46
                                  LindaW

                                  • Total Posts: 338
                                  • Joined: 5/10/2005
                                  • Location: Watervliet, NY
                                  RE: Standing Rib Roast Wed, 12/26/07 7:49 AM (permalink)
                                  thanks all....took a bit longer than anticipated...but oh my it was sooooooo good.....served it with garlic buttermilk mashed potatoes that I topped with some shredded cheddar and roasted green beans with crispy bacon....

                                  Served with a 1996 E & J Gallo (their high end premium label) Cabernet.....a dinner to cherish...what is better than sharing a great meal with your loved ones?
                                   
                                  #47
                                    mayor al

                                    • Total Posts: 15062
                                    • Joined: 8/20/2002
                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    RE: Standing Rib Roast Thu, 12/27/07 11:41 AM (permalink)

                                    Paul,
                                    Why deny the dog some good Beef, just because the rest of the tribe goes elsewhere???
                                     
                                    #48
                                      MiamiDon

                                      RE: Standing Rib Roast Thu, 12/27/07 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                      quote:
                                      Originally posted by prius

                                      Just cooked mine yesterday...perfect. Let the meat sit out for 2 hours before cooking. Salt and pepper only. Roast 20 minutes at 450 then turn down to 350 and continue to roast. For medium rare cook to internal temperature of 120...for medium, cook to temperature of 130-135....let rest at least 10 minutes before cutting.


                                      Arrrgh!

                                      The manual for my oven has a table that suggested 140ยบ for RARE! There was even a warning that the FDA does not approve of cooking to so low a temperature!

                                      So my 7-1/2 pound rib roast (an actual Prime grade), came out well done. [sob]
                                       
                                      #49
                                        MiamiDon

                                        RE: Standing Rib Roast Thu, 12/27/07 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by Russ Jackson

                                        I have a 6.5 lb Prime Rib in the oven right now. I rubbed it down prior with 2 heads of roasted garlic in olive oil and a little raw sugar. I mixed the paste with a rub of onion powder,whole cracked pepper,1/2 of a dried poblano ground,dried jalapeno,kosker salt,and some crushed red pepper,all spices from penzeys. 500 degree oven for 15 minutes then to 325 until it reaches 120 degrees then let it sit for 20 minutes or longer the internal temp rose to 133 when I cut it like http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm says. Internal temp is at 93 degrees right now. Will post pics after resting....Russ


                                        God, I wish I had seen that link before I overcooked my roast.

                                        "To satisfy government home economists, the Beef Council says rare beef means an internal temperature of 140 degrees F. Well, that is ok if you like well-done and dry meat. If you like moist, rosy meat (like I do), rare begins at 120 degrees and starts to become medium rare at 125 or 130 degrees."

                                        Yup, that is what did me in. GE must be covering there butts by using the FDA bureaucrats' guidelines.
                                         
                                        #50
                                          Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 50 of 50

                                          Jump to:

                                          Current active users

                                          There are 0 members and 1 guests.

                                          Icon Legend and Permission

                                          • New Messages
                                          • No New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                                          • Read Message
                                          • Post New Thread
                                          • Reply to message
                                          • Post New Poll
                                          • Submit Vote
                                          • Post reward post
                                          • Delete my own posts
                                          • Delete my own threads
                                          • Rate post

                                          2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com