Standing Rib Roast

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13480
2007/12/07 11:50:07 (permalink)

Standing Rib Roast

I watched Emerial do one yesterday. It came out very good and I want to do one but they are expensive and I do not want to screw it up.

He did not indicate about how long he cooked or what temp. If I were doing it uneducated, I would go low and slow.

I need some advice.

Paul E. Smith
knoxville, TN

49 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18370
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 11:57:34 (permalink)
    Here you go:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 12:31:01 (permalink)
    Michael, I knew you would know. Thanks as the attached was very informative.

The standing rib roast was very expensive and I did not want to screw it up. I guarantee that I would have if not for this info.

I will cook at medium. It is impossible to please everyting as some want them well, some medium and some rare.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 12:48:03 (permalink)
    If you cook it to medium the ends will be well done and there will be no rare meat at all.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 12:49:18 (permalink)
    Paul,

I have used a recipe that was printed in the Sunday edition of the New York Times in the 70's. It was a receipe Craig Claiborne, a Southern Gentleman, used all the time--he said. He got it from an English Chef and cookbook author named Anne something-or-other !! It has worked for me and everyone I have recommended it to for over 30 years.
    -Flour the roast lightly
    -Then season it any way you prefer
    -Put into a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes per pound ---where is my calculator ??
    -Then shut the oven off and do not---repeat do not--open the door for 2 hours. The outside is crisp and the meat is cooked medium rare. If someone likes it well done (sinful) a slab of outside meat is usually fine, or throw a chunk in a frying pan and brown for a minute or so.

I had a 4 pound rib roast (2 ribs) for Thanksgiving and it was super !!!!!
    Whatever you do enjoy it--Bon Appetit. Go Irish beat those Vols.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 12:57:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Paul,

I have used a recipe that was printed in the Sunday edition of the New York Times in the 70's. It was a receipe Craig Claiborne, a Southern Gentleman, used all the time--he said. He got it from an English Chef and cookbook author named Anne something-or-other !! It has worked for me and everyone I have recommended it to for over 30 years.
    -Flour the roast lightly
    -Put into a 500 degree oven for 5 minutes per pound ---where is my calculator ??
    -Then shut the oven off and do not---repeat do not--open the door for 2 hours. The outside is crisp and the meat is cooked medium rare. If someone likes it well done (sinful) a slab of outside meat is usually fine, or throw a chunk in a frying pan and brown for a minute or so.

Thanks for the advice. I will try even thoughit is a gamble with my expenseive rib roast.

I did not know the Irish were playing the VOLS. Perhaps in basketball?

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 13:04:57 (permalink)
    Irish vs Vols---maybe it was last year or the year before, whatever. Even if it is Ladies' Soccer the rooting remains the same. I knew the Colslaw (? spelling) girl's High School Principal so I rooted for your women's Basketball teams those years----they sure were good.
    rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 13:54:53 (permalink)
    Ancient Mariner, interesting recipe as well as is Michael Hoffman's reference. Now, Ancient one, don't you go messing with the Lady Vols. basketball team! I do live in New Mexico, however, I'm a born, raised and educated farm boy from Tennessee. GO VOLS!!!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 14:27:28 (permalink)
    Paul, If you are going to attempt this have the butcher make it kitchen ready for you. That meens, cap off, beef sliced off the bone, then reassembled together and tied to hold together again. No mystery to cooking this wondefull cut of beef, I didn't read the link above but if you do it at the 500 deg. method {I like} put some water in the bottom of the pan.
    It will prevent the dripping grease from smoking up your kitchen and making a mess in the oven. Chow Jim
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 14:48:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

Paul, If you are going to attempt this have the butcher make it kitchen ready for you. That meens, cap off, beef sliced off the bone, then reassembled together and tied to hold together again. No mystery to cooking this wondefull cut of beef, I didn't read the link above but if you do it at the 500 deg. method {I like} put some water in the bottom of the pan.
    It will prevent the dripping grease from smoking up your kitchen and making a mess in the oven. Chow Jim

I prefer to have the cap on, but cut nearly off. I like to then place sliced onion and several herbs, along some chopped garlic under the cap and then tie it to keep the cap in place over the onions and herbs. I remove the cap, and the onions and herbs, before serving
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 15:09:42 (permalink)
    I’ve told other people about this cooking technique and they always open the door and ruin it. Don’t open the *$%#^ door! I like to soak my roast in Worcestershire and lawry’s salt first.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/07 22:11:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I watched Emerial do one yesterday. It came out very good and I want to do one but they are expensive and I do not want to screw it up.

He did not indicate about how long he cooked or what temp. If I were doing it uneducated, I would go low and slow.

I need some advice.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN

Here is an Emeril recipe for Standing Rib Roast from 2004...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_29393,00.html

There are five other recipes at the bottom of the web page. I'm still trying to decide how I'm going to do mine.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/08 01:11:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Paul,

-Flour the roast lightly

I've made a note of this recipe for future use. Sounds like a good one to try.. The last time I made a standing "prime" rib roast, I used my remote thermometer. I had the temp set for rare/medium rare. Came out perfect. of course, you all know the trick is to let it sit for 20 minutes before carving. Oh, I had my butcher cut the rib bones off but tied to the roast during cooking ala, Alton Brown's suggestion.
    Thanks, Mariner.
    BTB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 207
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/08 08:01:51 (permalink)
    Methods of cooking prime rib were discussed last year at http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14365. IMHO "low and slow" is the only way to go when cooking rib roasts. Cooking them at higher temperatures, like that on Emeril's and Wolfgang Puck's TV shows, ends up with attractive but very mediocre results. ALL the great prime rib restaurants that I know of use "low and slow" methodology in order to get the super tender results on this great piece of beef.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5034
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/10 10:05:41 (permalink)
    [url='http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=8753']Here are some rib roast ideas from the "Barbecue Bible!" forums.[/url]

I like to cook rib roasts over briquettes and wood chunks (oak is probably my favorite) in my Weber kettle. Here's a small 2-bone roast that I grilled when the rest of the family was out of town (funny how that happened!):

[URL='http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=005049kp.jpg'][/URL] [URL='http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=009083hi.jpg'][/URL] [URL='http://img373.imageshack.us/my.php?image=011108bp.jpg'][/URL]

Most of the precut/prepackaged roasts I see in the grocery store have been trimmed too close for my liking. I prefer a healthy fat cap that covers the entire top, and I season under the cap and above the bones prior to cooking.

Brad
    Rustywolf
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 176
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 11:44:11 (permalink)
    BTB, in my opinion, is exactly right.

You don't want tro gamble with an expensive roast? Then salt and pepper (I add paprika) to taste, a little water in bottom of pan for gravy, and slow roast at 325 until done to your satisfaction.

This is the time-tested way to produce outstanding roast beef. You can check on it all you want without "ruining" it. It will turn out perfect every time.

If not, "experiment" the next time.
    aloysius50
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 12:04:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

Here you go:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/ClassicPrimeRib.htm

OK, there is a first time for everything - here's my first post. I used this site last month when I cooked a 4 rib (9lbs) and it came out perfect. For me the key was an accurate digital thermometer - I use a probe type that stays in the roast with the unit on the oven. I cooked to 120 and let sit for 20 minutes. Well done on the ends, but the middle was a perfect medium rare. If you like it more to the rare side or it's a smaller roast I would take it out at around 115.
    BTW, I've been "lurking" for 2 years. My motorcycle trips center on hitting road food places.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15237
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 12:17:52 (permalink)
    Welcome to Roadfood, Aloysius. It seems you have found a couple of reasons to stick around. Good for you. We always like to hear stories of how folks make use of the information they find here.
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4606
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 12:35:45 (permalink)
    Ditto. Welcome aloysius50.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 13:09:05 (permalink)
    And a hearty welcome to anyone named Aloysius.

Michael Aloysius Patrick Quentin Hoffman
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 13:25:54 (permalink)
    Faith and Begorra Michael Aloysius that is a lovely title ya have, lad !!!!

And may the devil not know your gone
    for an hour or so after the great event !!!!
    And the wind be ever at your back !!!
    It's a little backward but you get the point, I'm sure !

And do you make your latke with Guinness or Harp ???
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 13:51:56 (permalink)
    Not a drop of Irish in the blood at all. My father said he named me after everyone who could have been my father.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 14:27:14 (permalink)
    Man, mine is completely different, but comes out the same as what I'm reading from everyone else.

I got my recipe from Tanith Tyrr, The Bay Gourmet:[url='http://members.tripod.com/~BayGourmet/primerib.html']The Perfect Prime Rib[/url]. The gist of it is 250* oven for as long as it takes, and a meat thermometer to check for doneness. My only issue is what constitutes rare, or even medium rare; for me, pulling the roast at 120* is impossibly rare, regardless of what people say. 130* is more like it, leaving ends well, center medium-rare, and the inbetween pieces medium. When I pulled it at 120*, I spent the next 15 minutes browning slices under the broiler for people.

([edit] This might be because at the 250*, my roast doesn't get that temperature climb that others have described; I've never gotten as much as 5* change, using a digital thermometer.)

I've been serving a 4 rib roast every Christmas for about 10 years, and I have one tip on serving: People seem to prefer thinner slices instead of "restaurant cuts". Maybe it's because a holiday meal has so many different aspects, and the meat, while delicious, is not as much of a centerpiece, what with many other dishes on the table.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 15:08:30 (permalink)
    Michael you got your sense of humor from your father (which ever one it was).
    I copied your latke recipe for Saturday dinner which I am making for some Jewish people.
    Brisket with latkes is part of the menu---is that OK by you ?? Isn't Bijou a place in
    N Dakota or someplace ??? And I will not use the food processor that I planned on.
    You convinced me.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/12 15:16:47 (permalink)
    It's OK with me. I convinced you not to use a food processor?

By the way, the only Bijou I'm familiar with was the Loews Poli Bijou Theater on Church Street in New Haven.
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/23 16:16:52 (permalink)

Put this baby (5 rib) in the fridge yesterday, and will be rubbing it down and getting it ready for tomorrow afternoon. Haven't quite decided exactly what method I am going to use yet, there are some great suggestions referrred to above, tough to choose!

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/23 16:46:32 (permalink)
    DD: Looks like a very expensive nice looking piece of meat. I thought about doing it as this thread indicates for Christmas. I did not a couple of days ago but not nearly that large. I canceled the one for Christmas as most of the family will not be here. Just me and my dog.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/23 21:13:08 (permalink)
    I will also be making a roast for the Christmas repast and I came to this thread for some advice. Great ideas here. D Dog that is one mighty fine piece of meat there. I have one similar but not as big!
    I got mine with the bone in so I will French the bones and then tie.

David O.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8326
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/23 21:26:57 (permalink)
    Paul, as the company I keep on Christmas is not my choice, I would much rather be sharing a roast with you in Tennessee!
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Standing Rib Roast 2007/12/23 21:39:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I need some advice.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN

I feel your pain.

I bought a VERY EXPENSIVE prime rib roast for christmas, and do not want to screw it up. It is from Allen Bros., and is defrosting as we type.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1