Hot!Starbucks, what are you doing?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8405
2014/02/28 20:44:52 (permalink)

Starbucks, what are you doing?

I learned today that if asked, Starbucks will give you a child temperature coffee for your kid.

Guess the temperature of the coffee is more important that the drinking of the coffee if you're a child.

Does this mean that Starbucks is promoting the drinking of coffee by children?

41 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18957
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/02/28 20:57:00 (permalink)
    I certainly hope so. And I trust they're pouring a little Anisette or Sambuca in each kiddie cup.
    Turtle66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/02/28 21:00:44 (permalink)
    I buy a child temperature chocolate about once a week for my 2 year old grandson, but coffee? I don't think so.  

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/02/28 21:22:18 (permalink)
    I like my hot chocolate... hot.

I like the concept of child temperature.  I was just a bit shocked that coffee was being served to a child.... by a parent.

Then again...  I used to give sips.

Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 587
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 01:36:15 (permalink)

Janet and I don't have kids, and we don't drink coffee.  So, I don't understand the thing about not letting kids drink coffee?  I see the point if it's spiked with booze, but if not, what's the issue with it?   Again, we're not coffee drinkers, nor are we parents, so there's probably something we're clearly not understanding.

???

Thanks. 

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 02:16:49 (permalink)
    There was no way, shape, or form that my mother would allow me to drink coffee until I was eighteen years old!

But, I was always allowed a sip or two of Manischewitz at Passover dinner. Go figure. Now, I always drink coffee but I wouldn't ever touch a glass of Manischewitz!

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 02:38:16 (permalink)
    Starbucks is following the McDonalds marketing strategy----------Get em when they're young and you've got them hooked for life! 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 10:06:52 (permalink)
    Twinwillow, we had the same mother.

I was back in Taco Bell the other night (I still don't and never will like it) and a kid wanted a Mountain Dew.  His father said you can have any of the other sodas, but not Mountain Dew... it's a school night. 

I found that very interesting.

I'm guessing it's all about caffeine. 
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 10:53:11 (permalink)
    Glenn1234

Janet and I don't have kids, and we don't drink coffee.  So, I don't understand the thing about not letting kids drink coffee?  I see the point if it's spiked with booze, but if not, what's the issue with it?   Again, we're not coffee drinkers, nor are we parents, so there's probably something we're clearly not understanding.

???

Thanks. 

It's all about the caffeine. When I was a kid (over 50 years ago) my parents didn't allow me to drink ice tea because of the caffeine, and it's not like they were health nuts.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 11:45:20 (permalink)
    When I was a kid I wasn't allowed to drink coffee -- hot coffee, that is. I was always allowed to drink ice coffee. I remember getting, um, punished when I asked my father why I could drink ice coffee but not hot coffee. I actually had my first cup of coffee at a now-gone Roadfood place, The Yankee Doodle in New Haven. I was a sophomore in high school.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4332
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 12:19:33 (permalink)
    Yet another reason to revulsed by these vile, smug ba$tard$ and their insipid, spendthrift clientele.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 12:28:45 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Yet another reason to revulsed by these vile, smug ba$tard$ and their insipid, spendthrift clientele.

Ah, I'm not the only Starbucks, um, fan.
    JRPfeff
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2786
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 12:37:49 (permalink)
    I read an interesting article about coffee & kids last year. Coffee may not be as bad for children as we've been led to believe. The myth started with marketing hype.
    For most of my life, I've assumed that the grotesque amounts of coffee I began drinking around age 12 to keep up with my nightly homework load had something to do with the fact that I grew up to be a good 2-to-3 inches shorter than my pediatrician predicted. Coffee, as we've all heard, is supposed to stunt a child's growth. And I guzzled it from my tweenhood on.

It seems, though, that I assumed wrong. As Smithsonian's Joseph Stromberg recently explained in great piece of pseudoscience debunkery, the idea that coffee is bad for youngsters was actually a myth first propagated by the early 20th century cereal Tycoon, C.W. Post. 

Before  he developed his signature breakfast products like Grape Nuts, Post went into business in 1895 selling a cereal-based, caffeine-free coffee substitute called Postum. Now, the words "cereal-based, caffeine-free coffee substitute" might sound about as appetizing to you as a wet wad of newspaper. But Post cannily marketed his product as a health beverage while spooking consumers about the allegedly malign effects of coffee on both adults and children.
    Glenn1234
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 587
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 12:56:28 (permalink)

<<...."I'm guessing it's all about caffeine. "....>>

And yet I see parents letting their kids drink colas, iced tea, chocolate, Mountain Dew, and other caffeinated items all the time.   So, I was wondering why coffee gets specifically picked on as "forbidden for kids".   Maybe it's an "old wives tale" spread by C.W. Post, as indicated in the articled linked by JRPfeff.  

Glenn

post edited by Glenn1234 - 2014/03/01 12:57:32
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6431
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 13:49:26 (permalink)

RKB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 180
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 14:02:38 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

MetroplexJim

Ah, I'm not the only Starbucks, um, fan.

I think there are a lot of us 'fans'. Never did like their over-rated, burnt-tasting coffee.
    Bill

mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 14:28:05 (permalink)
    I usually go to Starbucks once a year....  December 26 and usually around 8:30AM after my day after Christmas shopping escapade.  I always order a gingerbread latte.

This time I was treated to a cup in the local Target where I was doing a good dead and returning an item that someone else purchased.  Starbucks and Target go hand in hand?  This time I ordered a Caramel Flan Latte.  So, besides the kick of the caffeine, I also had an overdose of sugar.

I also noticed that Starbucks is also selling K-cups.  I asked them if they gave samples of the K-cups they sold.  No way did I want to buy a box of 18 if I didn't like them.  Answer.... NO.

I'm REALLY liking the Paul Newman K-cups.  What a delicious cup of coffee.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 15:18:35 (permalink)
    Twinwillow

There was no way, shape, or form that my mother would allow me to drink coffee until I was eighteen years old!

But, I was always allowed a sip or two of Manischewitz at Passover dinner. Go figure. Now, I always drink coffee but I wouldn't ever touch a glass of Manischewitz!

You obviously didn't understand your parents. They gave you Manischewitz  so you would hate drinking wine!

Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 15:55:04 (permalink)
    mar52

I usually go to Starbucks once a year....  December 26 and usually around 8:30AM after my day after Christmas shopping escapade.  I always order a gingerbread latte.

This time I was treated to a cup in the local Target where I was doing a good dead and returning an item that someone else purchased.  Starbucks and Target go hand in hand?  This time I ordered a Caramel Flan Latte.  So, besides the kick of the caffeine, I also had an overdose of sugar.

I also noticed that Starbucks is also selling K-cups.  I asked them if they gave samples of the K-cups they sold.  No way did I want to buy a box of 18 if I didn't like them.  Answer.... NO.

Target and Starbucks go hand in hand? Yep, since the mid 90s and you can partially blame me. I was the architect on the team that negotiated the deal to bring them into Targets. First it was just going to be the Super Targets but quickly rolled out to all the stores. It was the first time Starbucks partnered with another company to create a partner store. BTW, the employees in Target Starbucks are Starbuck employees, not Target. Starbucks has some pretty exacting standards. At least that was what was originally negotiated. I've been away for several years so am not privy to anything anymore. Employees in the other food ventures like Pizza Hut were Target employees.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 17:22:33 (permalink)
    Davydd

mar52

Target and Starbucks go hand in hand? Yep, since the mid 90s and you can partially blame me. I was the architect on the team that negotiated the deal to bring them into Targets. First it was just going to be the Super Targets but quickly rolled out to all the stores. It was the first time Starbucks partnered with another company to create a partner store. BTW, the employees in Target Starbucks are Starbuck employees, not Target. Starbucks has some pretty exacting standards. At least that was what was originally negotiated. I've been away for several years so am not privy to anything anymore. Employees in the other food ventures like Pizza Hut were Target employees.

Training to an exacting standard, indeed; it must take a great deal of effort to 'train up' a Starbucks employee to the requisite corporate standard of superciliousness!

My only trips to Starbucks are when Mrs. Metro drags me along. 
    I always order a medium black coffee. 
    If my vapid 'barrista' asks me if that is a 'Kenyan, Schmenian, or Cambodian venti, schmenti, or penti' I do my best impression of Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces.

Yes, I know that's rude; but I figure that - as the place is full of a-holes anyway - what's one more going to hurt?
    post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/03/01 17:24:12
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 18:00:19 (permalink)
    There's Starbucks in the Safeway Grocery stores out here now!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 18:08:11 (permalink)
    They're in the Kroger stores here.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 18:31:05 (permalink)
    Come to think about it, they're also in the Ralph's Fresh Faire. When you see an e on the end of fair it means they're charging you for that e.

Never stopping at one it slipped my mind.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 18:46:12 (permalink)
    Foodbme

There's Starbucks in the Safeway Grocery stores out here now!

They have had a Starbucks at our Safeway here for years.  You buy 9 and get the 10th one free!  I am proud to say that I have never stopped to sit and sip their horrible and overpriced coffee!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 19:46:48 (permalink)
    Well hell, I helped start a trend.

I never use those size descriptions at Starbucks. I always say small, medium or large. They still understand. However once in a shopping center in Federal Way, WA I asked for a small and they pulled out an 8 oz. cup to accommodate me. I didn't mind as that is about all I would ever want for an afternoon coffee.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 20:18:24 (permalink)
    mar52

My in-laws use the Starbucks K-cups. They're not bad, by any means. Certainly a better cup of coffee than they used to brew old style. If I had a Keurig I wouldn't hesitate to buy them, although I'd be more likely to stick with my Gevalia.
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4568
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 20:35:58 (permalink)
    Let's not forget the Starbucks, "You're Not Blind" incident!  

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5240
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/01 22:07:20 (permalink)
    mar52

I'm REALLY liking the Paul Newman K-cups.
    There's an image I won't soon burn from my mind, and it has nothing to do with coffee.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/02 07:44:18 (permalink)
    EdSails

Twinwillow

You obviously didn't understand your parents. They gave you Manischewitz  so you would hate drinking wine!

It seems that, as a child, you needed occasional calming rather than stimulation: a reliable predictor of sucess in life.
    JudgeMaven
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    Re:Starbucks, what are you doing? 2014/03/02 08:12:48 (permalink)
    There are no Starbucks in Israel so I don't know what I am missing. There are plenty of (good) cafes and I am a coffee drinker so I don't feel a void in my life.

My brother is autistic, and when he was younger he always wanted to try some of my mom's coffee. No way was she giving it to my brother. One day, he drank the cup when she wasn't looking and ten minutes later he was asleep. Now whenever he gets worked up my parents give him coffee and it calms him down. Go figure. He lives in USA so he goes to Starbucks often.
    post edited by JudgeMaven - 2014/03/02 08:15:40
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1