Starting a Successful Food Truck

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2012/05/08 08:57:20 (permalink)

Starting a Successful Food Truck

Ross Resnick, founder of the food-truck-locating RoamingHunger.com website, offered a variety of tips to succeed in the growing foodservice segment in a panel entitled, “Roll Out the Right Way: Starting a Successful Food Truck Program”
“It’s an industry that is in its infancy,” said Resnick, whose website is one of the most thorough trackers of food truck growth. “It’s a brand-new business.”

Read more: http://nrn.com/article/food-trucks-possibilities-and-pitfalls-consider?utm_source=MagnetMail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=JACK@DROFBBQ.COM&utm_content=NRN-News-NRNam-05-08-12#ixzz1uHZScXrf

Here is the link to Roaming hunger: http://roaminghunger.com/

5 Replies Related Threads

mofood
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 117
    Re:Starting a Successful Food Truck 2012/05/08 11:04:53 (permalink)
    Good stuff
    DWags541
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Starting a Successful Food Truck 2012/05/09 14:09:46 (permalink)
    Kinda bums me out that those "in the know" writing articles with superior perspective of the burgeoning food truck movement of the last, (what, 3 years?), fail to recognize that Mexican food trucks were working the streets long before current entrepreneurs were taking different menus and applying them to the format.
    This 710% "growth" he talks about is determined by the amount of truck businesses represented on his website. While that is significant in some respects, a lot of growth and recognition within the genre could also just be attributed to the increase of connectivity and use of social media by food entrepreneurs. I would guess that of the 2,000+ trucks referred to, many of them have been in business for a while, or have been re-fashioned from older existing food truck operations.
    My point is, this industry didn't pop up out of thin air. Mobile vending has been around centuries and when you simply think about the well established food truck manufacturers in S. Cali for example, you can see that food trucks have been popping out for decades.
    I admit the nature of this article is not to boast about how this is necessarily some brand new thing, but it reminds me of the limited historical scope of "experts" when discussing the growth and popularity of food trucks today.

Dave
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Starting a Successful Food Truck 2012/05/09 16:13:29 (permalink)
    I think that's a fair call but if I might offer a suggestion.

1st Keep in mind magazines and newsletters are meant to sell advertising (only) and the articles are just fill between the advertising.

2nd When you read them look for a little gem or two, and often they are not the main point of the article but rather a by product of the article.

3rd It's just like the post here on RF, you may look at a picture of a sink installation and think that's cool, but if you look closely you realize that with all the clutter of pipes and wiring for pumps etc, that it's going to be extra hard to keep that area clean enough to pass an inspection down the road. So if your doing a build you realize hey I want my sink inclosed (around the bottom) so that area stays clean and gives both the HD and customers the impression that your build is spotless.

Here is a perfect example of a mistake I made on my trailer build. This under counter area area takes an hour to remove all the pans and clean, and the process is a pain in the ass. If it were inclosed it would be much easier to keep clean, and have to be done once every 3 months instead of once a week.

OK OK I'll shut up now LMAO.
    Look for the gems and you have to look carefully.

jack
    post edited by Dr of BBQ - 2012/05/10 08:34:46
    marco226
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 177
    Re:Starting a Successful Food Truck 2012/05/12 08:46:04 (permalink)
    VERY GOOD ADVICE. THE DR IS IN LMAO
    qwertydvorak
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    Re:Starting a Successful Food Truck 2012/05/15 01:30:08 (permalink)
    "Here is a perfect example of a mistake I made on my trailer build. This under counter area area takes an hour to remove all the pans and clean, and the process is a pain in the ass. If it were inclosed it would be much easier to keep clean, and have to be done once every 3 months instead of once a week. "

It isn't too late.  It looks like you could easily make some doors and mount them.  ;)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1