Starting a mobile Gelato business and any suggestions or advise would be great

Author
Jasper1
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
2013/09/24 14:01:31 (permalink)

Starting a mobile Gelato business and any suggestions or advise would be great

rI am starting a mobile Gelato business and originally was going to buy a food truck but with the floor height just over 30" I had to switch to a trailer to get the Gelato case low enough to have the customers be able to view the presentation of the case.
I used to own a very successful sports bar in California and wanted to try something out again but don't want a brick and motar building.

I have a 16ft trailer being built from Wells Cargo and just looking for ideas or suggestions.
I have a 4,500 watt remote start Yamaha generator that Wells Cargo will build a ventilated box in the rear of the trailer. I may use a 3k AIMS 24v inverter that has a charger and transfer switch built into it. Will either use a bank of AGM or 6v golf cart batteries (then I'd need to find where to mount them outside) I was gong to run the AC off the generator and also charge the batteries so when the AC is not on I will have some quiet time with no motor running for a few hours. Everything else will run off the batteries.
I plan in using a a tankless water heater.
I don't want the standard concession type windows, I want the open concept look and the windows will be frameless so from several feet away it will just look like two big 6ft windows. 
I also will have a 14ft electric full cassette awning that will extend 11ft and maybe if I'm at a place for a few hours put out a few lightweight bistro tables and chairs.
I may also do a conversion on the generator so it can run on propane.
The Gelato is being shipped in from California and they serve the Four Seasons hotels, Google headquarters and a bunch of other big name companies so it will be very good Gelato. I do not want to do any cooking so I may to morning pre-made Panini sandwiches but the Panini press takes 1,000 watts and that cuts into my electricity quite a bit.
Coke is supplying a True Solid glass door fridge and a bunch of POS so the trailer should be decorated pretty good.
Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas please let me know.
I took a picture of a Humara TV commercial and that was the look I wanted. Picture is below.
Thanks

post edited by Jasper1 - 2013/09/24 15:00:51

2 Replies Related Threads

hpx
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    Re:Starting a mobile Gelato business and any suggestions of advise would be great 2013/09/24 14:35:37 (permalink)
    1. do people in your area know what gelato is? I know in area I would not be able to give it away.

2. doesnt gelato require some very low temp environment to survive? I would think in arizona the temp inside a trl will be quite high. even with a/c. hopefully you will be busy enough to have your service windows open alot.

3. what else are you offering?

4. I am not trying to be a spoilsport, it just seems like an awfully high overhead start up. The less you owe in those crucial first months the more chance you have of surviving.

Jasper1
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    Re:Starting a mobile Gelato business and any suggestions of advise would be great 2013/09/24 14:57:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply, i really appreciate it.
    Ton's of people here know and love Gelato and all shops here are always overcrowded. It's 1/2 the fat of ice cream and I think taste better.
    I paid extra money to have the trailer very well insulated. gelato is served at 10-12 degrees and with the opening and closing of the case all day long it will still be able to keep that temp. I was talking about using 2 AC's but was told one will be plenty to keep the trailer at 75-80 degrees (which is the temperature the display case manufacture states the temp needs to maintain)
    I'll be having some sort sandwiches, maybe Panini's. And will have chips and soda. And add some things as time goes on to try out.

I know It's a huge amount for a mobile Gelato startup but I've done an intensive REALISTIC business plan and everything should work out just fine.
    If it doesn't work in a year I'll only be out about $8-10k. To me, that's a tiny investment to lose trying out something new in life.

These are our logos, took about a week to decide on what to use. We named it after our dog. 

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1